What's the point of high end smartphones?

Call me a yuropoor, I actually am, but anyway, the thing is I honestly don't see a reason to buy a high-end, especially a new one. You mostly use smartphone for the web. So you won't use any of its admittedly impressive(as for its size) processing power. And anyway, it will never come close to a PC/console. Camera? Sure, high-end cameras are quite impressive as well, but again, what's the point? A high-end comes in a price of a low-end DSLR and even that will take infinitely better pictures than any smartphone camera.

It's mostly prestige/gadget thing, isn't it?

Attached: samsung-galaxy-s9-plus-g965fd-dual-sim-4g-vvw8fd.jpg (1680x1680, 494K)

the same reason ppl get 32 gb of ram or water cooled shit to browse reddit and play league of lesbians

I don't need a DSLR, but I want to take decent pics
I don't need a laptop, but I want to have a mobile web browsing and media consumption device
I need a phone, having a phone that not only does phone calls and texts, but that can take solidly good pics/video, has a good quality display for media viewing, has a good web browser, having a single device that does all of this, and not just passingly, does it all very very well.

Social status my dude. Women are very, very concerned with the pecking order, and 80% of spending is done by women. Naturally the market will evolve to represent that.

Majority of phones are slim, with metallic highlights and come in feminine colours like white, gold, rose etc. Like jewellery.

If the phone market was aimed solely at men I guarantee you we would be getting ThinkPad-tier devices with large batterys, buttons, tool attachments etc. Pure manly autistic black and primary colour only bricks purely encapsulating function over form (rather than the opposite)

Attached: cat-b25-main.jpg (600x600, 42K)

Large screen>>>>>>buttons, attachments, etc, it's not a gender thing, it's a natural progression of technology.

Well ok, that makes sense, I wouldn't really think of it as a kind of compromise. I personally would rather buy cheap phone and a DSLR than a high end and no camera, but I guess for most of people it's the other way around.

for me is the camera, I use it a lot, and I don't want to take a dedicated camera with me every time.
The rest of the features and specs you can find in any other phone much cheaper.

This. I wish I could go back to an old brick phone that exists solely for texting, calling, and snake.

Went from a s4 mini to s8 plus, because of obvious reasons, better specs, better camera, than my prior phone.
And not gonna upgrade any time soon, this is good.
The technology leaps every generation difference is so small now a days, all about the money man.
But i'm satisfied with this upgrade.

Websites and software are so bloated nowadays that you do need high-end specs just to run them.

When I got my first smartphone years ago, I went with a cheaper one because I figured I didn't need a higher-end one. (Plus, it had a slide-out qwerty keyboard that I liked.) It turned out to be a complete piece of shit. Even the simplest of apps always crashed. Half the time, I couldn't even answer a call; trying to slide to answer would make the phone freeze. Sometimes just receiving a call would cause it to spontaneously reboot itself before I even had a chance to try to answer.

Perhaps lower-end smartphones have improved over the past decade, but I don't want to take the chance on getting another useless lemon, I always go for a flagship model.

How will you buy the old flagship at a discount if they don't make them now and no one buys them?

Perhaps they've improved in the last decade? A modern smartphone is over 30 times as powerful as that POS you had a bad experience with.

Honestly I feel like its an awkward transition phase. In a few years phones will be powerful enough that you just get a dock for it instead of having a PC and literally do your work on your phone-PC.

Software keeps getting slower so you may as well get a decent phone that lasts you for the next couple of years.

I have a S8 because I like to fuck around with VR/AR and use the sensors in it. The camera is also nice and fast, much better than dragging around a slow-ass p&s. It obviously handles all media without breaking a sweat as well.

My sister has a S8 and she uses it for whatsapp, facebook and selfies. I also had so far FOUR roasties tell me I should get a transparent case so people can see it's a S8. Who gives a fuck?

Attached: more phones = more attention.jpg (598x600, 74K)

It would be even easier for free software as you can recompile it for ARM

>Who gives a fuck?
Those roasties

To track and datamine your life ever more intrusively and accurately.

Most high end smart phones take infinitely better video than even prosumer DSLRs.

>I guess for most of people it's the other way around.
Most people prioritize convenience in products/services in general.

Convenience mostly. I got the Note 2 to see how much I liked the pen and now I can't use a phone that doesn't have a good one and around the time I got the Note 8 I pretty much stopped taking my laptop to conferences as there's more than enough functionality in my phone to take notes, photos, lightly edit and annotate them, record and cut video clips, have a basic terminal access point, etc.

I'm guessing in one or two more generations the flagship phones will be a sufficient computer for my job as a sysadmin when I'm away from the workstation. The DeX dock is definitely a beta-test product, but it shows a ton of promise.

I bought a s8 last year because i make a good salary and i can have luxery items and not break the bank. If you are poor dont buy new flagship phones it is stupid

For me it's along the lines of:
1) Getting a single flagship to use for 3-4 years is cheaper than buying 3-4 budget smartphones instead, while still being a plain better experience.
2) A good camera in a smartphone is one of its best advantages because I do want to take a photo/video of some shit from time to time - not often enough to warrant carrying an actual camera around, though.
3) Good hardware is mostly a way of future-proofing it, however, there are still straight up benefits - for development, or for running emulators.

Yearly upgrading a flagship, however, is excessive. I would have to make two-three times more money than now to consider that acceptable.

It's mostly OS support, updates, and reliable hardware. You can spend $200 and have a phone that will potentially last you 3 years. But chances are more than likely that the environment will change, minimum specs will become sluggish, components will fail and you're left spending another $200 sooner than you expected. Once you've dealt with owning a mid-range phone and outgrown its limitations you realize the market for a flagship is rightly justified. It's just that everyone thinks they need the best when in reality they don't utilize everything their high end phone is capable of. I literally went from the Moto Z Play which was the most advance and fastest phone I had owned, with a beautiful Super AMOLED screen, processing speed, plenty of ram, and amazing battery life to the iPhone 8 and it yet again blew me away.

idk, I just get a new budget phone every year. They cost me around $100 and I usually get $25-50 on the trade-in so $60ish dollars a year or $5 a month and I'm never worried about support or the age of the phone.

This. Dubs don't lie. That's the way to go.

> heh, women are so dumb, not like us, right, fellow men?

Attached: soy640x600.png (640x600, 115K)

Yes it is, especialy the iPhags.

Just buy something like doogee bl12000. That shit has a 12000mah battery which will literally last you days with normal use

I need it for the games.

That is a true statement.

My smartphone is an absolute necessity for my work, I use it for literally everything I do and having a higher end phone makes this easier as they are faster and just generally better.

I can understand people who use them as a smaller replacement for a laptop. I couldn't do it becaue I abhor touchscreens though, my phone is for calls only.

its not a valid argument to say whats the point of any high-end technological product.
you could say whats the point of high-end laptops and desktops as well. a smartphone isnt something unnecessary or optional its a multy tasking tool as a computer, its portable and you can do calls from it. higher end offers better quality and higher process speeds and it wont lag and will be able to handle software much faster.

i dont get your point its really not a valid thing. might as well buy all the things in the pic instead of getting a high end smartphone that will do everything

Attached: mobile_equivalents_extra.jpg (1792x1560, 953K)

when they start removing features that don't need to be removed (the 3.5mm port), they become merely a social status

but when a flagship has actual features with overkill performance, it's usually a "future proof" thing

doogee is a fraud, that thing actually has an 8000 mAh battery

/p/fag here. What are you even comparing my dude? No serious person shoots video on a dslr. How can you even compare pro gear that shoots raw video files with the 4k wannabe mp4 from that peanut of a sensor

I'm not. I'm comparing a similarly priced smartphone to a similarly priced DSLR to illustrate how stupid it is that Canon and Nikon are purposefully handicap their sensors when it comes to video in large body cameras. I'm not comparing Pro gear, you fucking autist, read again. Jesus christ.

It's easier to carry around a phone with a decent point and shoot camera and you can save up for a DSLR for those special occasions.

Every cumsumer DSLR has a better sensor than any smortphone. The smaller the sensor the faster it heats up and the pictures turn to shit and only a high amount of postprocessing can make them look decent. Shoot RAW and you'll see.

I already shoot raw and you're missing the point. Compare video from an S8 to any entry level or prosumer DSLR product and tell me it's worse. If you compare pixel-per-pixel a RAW PHOTO against an S8- no shit, the DSLR wins every time. Even my shitty old 550D comes out on top. But when it comes to video, the S8 shits all over DSLR's in entry to prosumer class

Correct

>doogee is a fraud
Well shit. Good thing I didn't cave in and buy it

Looks cool as fuck
Where can i buy one im in asia

Just look at the name. It screams chink shit.

>I also had so far FOUR roasties tell me I should get a transparent case so people can see it's a S8
Fucking roasties man.

Apparently the other one with chinkshit name - Outkitel, actually had a great battery in it
Hard to judge these phones. Then again, looking through youtube, it's a lot of people calling that doogeeshit garbage

>1) Getting a single flagship to use for 3-4 years is cheaper than buying 3-4 budget smartphones instead
A 800 USD phone is cheaper than 3/4 100 USD phones?
Jeez, I know this isn't /sci/, but you're pretty dumb.

ya most of their models have at least 5000 mAh

I've had pic related for about a year and it's great desu

Attached: Oukitel-K10000-Pro-10000-Android-7-0-3-32.jpg (1000x1000, 287K)

making more money forsame useless shity tech

>3/4 100 USD
100 USD phone is complete shit compared to a 4-year-old flagship in everything but battery life.

>Samsung J series
>Nokia series
>complete shit
Nah man, I have a J3, and it just werks.

It's fast for what I do.
I browse Internet, reply to my emails, play the occasional game on emulators, watch YouTube videos, etc.

It just werks.
If you spend more than 100 USD for a phone (without having special needs for it, like VR), you're a cash cow.

i like my htc 10 because that thing is indestructible
id rather buy one phone for 400 e that lasts me 3 years instead of buying some chink shit every year when it breaks

>tries to compare a peanut sized sensor to a crop dslr body
>calls me an autist

Sure dude. If you're just taking pictures of your dog and food anything works, I give ya that

But you don't use a dslr to film shit, you dense mofo... you get a mirrorless made for video.

>new J3
>$100
More like $150
>complete shit
Exactly.
I had to work with many ~$100 phones due to my job. They are complete and utter fucking shit compared to any flagship.
512 kB/s unlimited cable Internet access data plans also used to "just werk" for me at one point of life. Doesn't change the fact it's utter shit compared to the modern optical options.

>girls give him the time of day

phones and tablets now have pretty much peaked imo and a good phone and tablet will last you years. i have a 3 year old oneplus one and a 5 year old nexus 7. both are still supported by lineageos and have good screen resolution (1920*1080 and 1920*1200), good batteries, and are plenty fast enough.

>It just werks.
So do Pentium 3's with 256MB of RAM and a 56k dial up connection.
They just werk.

You still wont see me using a P3 and 56k in 2018 though.

I dont really get it either, I just dont see which advantage a current high-end phone really has over my good old OnePlus 3T especially not if you look at the massive difference in price.

But then again the company I work for is giving me a Galaxy S8 for free and will provide a brand new phone every 2 years for free so I guess I will upgrade from now on. But I see it as pointless.

You can literally do this now. The S8 has the dex dock, the razer phone has that project linda thing that maybe they'll actually sell to you, for other phones there's the superbook and its french competitor, and the librem 5 will have a desktop monitor accessory (which it will probably need for a lot of its software).

...personally I don't like any of these options just yet. I want one that's exactly like the project linda but with a 2 in 1 form factor so I could draw on it.

This doesn't explain why people buy the new flagship every half a year. Surely if you have once decided that the functionality that you get with a given phone is good for you, you don't need to buy a new one for quite a while. Flagships are a marketing scheme. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, it still advances technology, just not by the margin that they advertise.

K10 has 11000mAh battery. It's insane.

Get ready for a pill, dipshits: chink phones lie about milliampere hours all the time. Google "fake battery Doogee". Take the battery out of your gook phones, and peel off the sticker to reveal another one below from the actual manufacturing plant.

Attached: 1496290182856.jpg (250x250, 49K)

well I wouldn't be surprised if I got chinked, the k10000 pro was really cheap for what it is. the massive battery life is definitely there tho, and I haven't heard about the capacity being faked on that one

What's stopping you? A lot of people are starting to do it, including myself.

>Once you've dealt with owning a mid-range phone and outgrown its limitations

My third gen Moto G will be 3 years old this August. I have never once had a "limitation" stop me from using it how it was intended and it has decidedly low-mid range specs.

The problem I have with flagships is, yeah they are great, but there is always another device that does the same thing better. My girlfriend's iPhone 8 Plus takes amazing pictures for a phone, sure, but my 7-year-old Canon G11 takes better photos and my 10-year-old Sony Alpha 350, better still (although there is something to be said for a CCD image sensor). So the Moto G is perfectly fine for capturing spontaneous moments, you don't need to document everything in life. Sure, the 8 Plus is incredibly powerful, has a huge screen and gets amazing battery life, but my Thinkpad T560 is even more powerful, gets even better battery life (screen-on time), has an even larger and more immersive screen, and you can easily add peripherals for greater productivity and functionality. And then everything the 8 Plus does, the Moto G also does, a bit slower but it is still able to do them. And I am sue the new ones narrow he gap even more. And the 8 Plus costs $1,500 where I live. When you're looking at those kinds of prices, in my opinion, you would be better off getting a basic phone and spending the rest of the money on other things that are better at specializing for their specific job.

Quit it with the strawman. If someone was saying that a Treo 650 was all they needed, then sure, this might be valid. But the desktop computer equivalent to what he is saying is

>A Sempron 2650 with 4 gigs of RAM, gigabit ethernet and a 15M connection just werks. I browse internet, reply to my emails, play the occasional game on emulators, watch YouTube videos, etc

Which is perfectly fine. This setup sounds reasonable and would be more than adequate for basic tasks.

It will probably wear out and lose capacity rapidly like with Lenovo Motorolas.

Almost no one buys a new flagship multiple times a year, or even once a year. The vast majority of people purchase a new flagship every 2-3 years

How about xiaomi?
My claimed 4100mAh feels like true.
Btw. Why did they drop ~4000mah battteries in favor of ~3000mah in new models? To stuff an extra camera that no heterosexual craves for?

>luxery

Attached: goblina.jpg (1024x808, 116K)

>32 and a half hours screen on time
>Fake battery
You're retarded.

Attached: S80510-234127.jpg (1440x2560, 598K)

Some people want nice gadgets but don't know what to spend their money on.
I have my redmi 3s for nearly 2 years now and it's still going strong. Especially with custom OS android 8.1, it does all the basic stuff I need. I will keep it until the battery cannot stand a day of usage.

It doesn't matter because of the new SoC's reduced power consumption

Phones have been powerful enough for desktop software for a while, but only obsolete versions that use up less resources. Android phones could run windows 95 shortly after they became available. Phones being able to replace a desktop or laptop is simply a matter of availability of contemporary lightweight software, and peripherals. Obviously a phone and a desktop from the same time will never come close, but if you wanted desktop software and power wherever you go, you could always remote desktop in (with a big enough display, and it'll probably still be a little laggy, but it works).

A good phone camera is nice because you always have your phone, but a good camera is too bulky to carry everywhere.

Also, flagship phones tend to last longer. I'm still using a galaxy s5 I got new.

leave your room jesus christ

anyways

most people are buying flagships for a good camera and to get a few years out of it ; if you buy mid range you're not gonna get too long out of it and buying budget is ass (unless its a chinkphone but the build quality is terrible)

people are doing a lot more than just browsing the internet on their phones

source : worked in a phone repair shop for close to 10 years

anyone that disagrees owns a core2duo thinkpad and wears jncos

Flagship phones also tend to have much greater active custom ROM support.

>luxery

That aside, simply having money is no reason to waste your money on crap.

>Friend and I make roughly the same salary, I get paid a little more than he does
>He bought an iPhone X to upgrade from an iPhone 7, leases a BMW 330i for $400 per month, goes to Starbucks every day, eats out at least one meal a day, goes drinking 3 or 4 times a week, owns all Apple products, buys Burberry everything
>I still have the same Xperia M I bought in university, drive a 2006 Camry I bought used after graduating, I brew my own coffee, pack my lunch from home and eat out maybe once a week, head to bars maybe once a month, still use the same Thinkpad T410 I had in university, non-work clothing is cheap, simple but durable
>He genuinely cannot figure out how I'm able to buy a house and afford to take several ski trips every year while still having tons of money left over

>1000 dollar PHONE
>not a luxery item
brainwashed by apple i see

You're mistaking "flagship" and "popular".

This is relevant to me.

What's the cheapest phone I can get now(or soon) with good rom support?

I need a phone with a decent camera for my work.

I'm out of the loop. Besides Moto G and later Galaxy series, which non-flagships have good custom ROM support and which flagships do not?

you do know nice standalone cameras exist, right?

>three days on one charge is too much. Someone got to make it stop.
Imagine being this brainwashed.

>You mostly use smartphone for the web. So you won't use any of its admittedly impressive(as for its size) processing power.
The modern web is the most computationally intensive task you can do thanks to all retarded web devs using gigabytes of shitscript and css.

How is that xperia's battery not busted yet?

I need to be able to send them off on the spot too.

Cameras heve wifi too.
Or there are things called wifi sd card that sends shit to a connected device.

I guess I can give one opinion on this as I just ordered an S9. I havent bought new phones in six years now, always 1/2 year or a year old devices second hand. Now however I had to get a dual sim phone due to work sim I have to use, you cant really find used dual sim phones that much. Also I like my s7e which I'm giving to my wife, so now we can have only qi chargers at our place.

I travel a lot and have a few different offices I work at so less stuff I carry with me the better. I do my work usually over vnc/rdp/ssh/younameit, so I can just carry a single charger with me and a dex pad, along with a small wireless kb and a mouse. I can open up a vpn connection to my server rack and use my hotel room's tv as a monitor. Like I said, I travel a lot. I'm at airports for a week every month. That translates me having to rip my laptop from my bag at every security station - now I dont have to anymore.

I also want water proofing, qi support, good camera and unlockable bootloader as well. I have the money and I really dont care if a device which I use daily multiple hours for years costs $500 or $1000.

In my case I could justify my purchase.

First sentence is the only relevant answer.

Its not only women who are concerned about pecking order, the men are also concerned about social standings.

Both sexes use social standings to win over the other sexes. However a tiny minority on both spectrum don't give a fuck.

Cool thanks. I'll look into getting one so I can go back to having a pocket hammer that does phonecalls.

I also do this. Keeping a phone for 3 or 4 years is the only way for more expensive phones to compare and by that point you're at the shit end of support and updates no to mention the battery.