>2018
>companies still worried about piracy
Why? None of these companies are being killed by it.

Attached: Dcry6rqVMAAhCuz.jpg (921x589, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf
archive.fo/bXmBN
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Jews gonna jew

100% of gen y'ers don't know what piracy is and will freely rip and share things with friends.
69% is pretty good.

They're losing money over it though, which means they won't be able to create future products that might interest us.

Companies can't exist without revenue

The mistake is using proprietary software in the first place

I block ads in spotify free
I'm a criminal

Attached: fingers.png (392x278, 138K)

fyi millenial is the new term for gen y - they're the same thing

What will the world do without generic capeshit #3892532
All those poor, jacked, 6'5" Hollywood stars might have to deal with the fact that they're only going to be earning 35 million per movie instead of 40
All I can say is ugh

They aren't worried. They just use it to justify their bullshit and faggots like to eat it up.

Is it X then?
Whatever the generation before us was.

>They're losing money over it though, which means they won't be able to create future products that will further enslave us.
FIFY
Good

the fact that they lose money (what like 0.00005 cents?) every time I pirate makes it worth it.

>striminals

Did Boomers fucking write that?

My two bucks is on another millennial.

Probably an obese, blue haired millennial with more cats than friends

Probably a 30-something that uses "millenial" to refer to sub-20 year olds and feels superior

>31% don't
I don't believe that. I'm more inclinded to believe that 31% don't properly understand the term piracy.

Don't make me bring up the study by the European commission that PROVED privacy has 0 effect on company revenue

>new term
christ

I steal because they don't make products that interest me now.

if companies can't adapt, that's their problem

Literally all these big industries have never been more profitable, they can suck my dick.

100% of articles with the word millenials in the title are click-bait for retarded millenials

Wait I thought Home Video Taping killed the movie industry long ago!

Attached: 1520219998758.png (250x242, 7K)

Well it was video piracy. I don't watch much films but I have a huge pirated (mostly pleb tier) music collection.

You do realise they make more money than you ever will

It did. See any video tapes around? Didn't think so.

You do realize that I'm just stating why any company would like to continue to exist

I think that's something we can all agree with.

The movie industry has been dead for a long time. Just look at the tripe they shit out currently. It's pretty much all just comic book movies these days.

You're right, I didn't thought about that.
While I'm thinking about this, I haven't seen any Floppy Disks anymore, they were probably all used to illegally copy software..
Don't copy that Floppy!

Lol, who cares? They'll never able to stop it.

no, millennial is the new term for "group of people that do thing i don't like" and is mostly used by persons that are literally millennials. it's exactly like onions, or degenerate, or nazi.

Attached: japanesebirdcookingspaghetti.jpg (600x450, 145K)

"Using at least one form of video piracy" doesn't mean they pirate absolutely everything they watch

But they can scare you.
Look at torrenting, after literally millions of scare letters were sent out by lawyers torrenting has basically died in Western Europe

If none of it interests you, why do you go through the effort to steal it? Why waste your time on them at all?

So your post was irrelevant to OP

It isn't though

Yeah but watching a a scene of something on youtube is piracy, I'd assume most people have done that before.

>implying big corps aren't just building huge copyright infringement cases and waiting till you are old and senile to take you to court and take everything you own
We NEED to make piracy legal, a cyber right if you will.

Because people can't into OPSEC.

I don't think we should make copyright infringement legal, but review the actual damage that is done and do fair punishments.
Someone shouldn't be thrown into jail for 10 years longer than someone who murdered a human

on the contrary, they should be thankful because of piracy, because then ppl would use foss alternatives. looking at you, adobe

Not him. But it takes less effort to torrent something, try it for 2 hours and then delete it rather than going to a store, buying it, come home, try it, go through the hassle of refund and then repeat the process several times. In fact, torrenting is less "harmful" than refunding. By refudning, you are taking adavantage of an actual product, while the cracked product is just a downgraded copy of the original which has no monetary value. By going through the process of refunding, you're also creating problems for the retailer and you're creating temporary shortage of that product.

This isn't to defend piracy. In fact, no one has to defend piracy. This is simply to explain and give a perspective.

Bullshit.

You can't lose money you don't have. It's MY money UNLESS and UNTIL such time as I decide to give it to them.

Got it?

How isn't it

Me and several of my friends and family member had to deal with this shit.
Though you can get them off your ass, it's really frustrating and time consuming. Depending on your country, for example in Germany these lawyers will actually sue you if you don't pay ~1000€ to them. I could go on for eternity what a fucked up situation this is and how they're using age old laws and loopholes.
Long story short you really don't want to deal with this shit

Good.
They should die already.

It explains why companies that are doing not so well have to spread FUD like in the OP

+1

They're doing pretty well, they don't need to spread that shit they just want more money, maybe it's a dick size counter to Jews

if you were serious about this you wouldn't still be calling it piracy. it's unauthorized copying, and it causes absolutely no damage to the (((copyright))) holders that paid the EU millions to suppress each and every study suggesting the truth.
cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf

>60% streaming without paying
does this include those who torrent?
does this include those who rely on their parents' accounts?
just because you don't own the account you use to stream doesn't mean that nobody's paying for it

i can't understand this torrenting letters thing, if i ever get one i'll just wipe my ass with it and switch to the another ISP the next day, problem solved.

Maximizing revenue is also one of companies' biggest goals

Piracy is the best thing to ever happen to big studios
You usually will go watch shit Disney makes on the cinema, since idk its star wars whatever, but almost noone will pay to see the new Mallick film for instance, or the new A24 movie
These studios that arent as big as Disney or fox cant compete and you end up with a monopoly
If anything, you will ONLY have generic capeshit etc because of piracy

"Piracy is a service problem"

In Europe (especially Germoney) they wanted a few hundred to a few thousand € for every torrent and your only real option to resolve this was paying or getting an attorney and signing shit.

So you agree that they don't NEED to spread shit on the internet but they're just being greedy

Give me a reasonably priced service that let's me do streaming legit and I'll use it.

Netflix is decent, especially for oldish shows and their original content. VRV is good if you like anime and the few independent animations they fund. Hulu is good if you like normal TV stuff. Paying for all three is still cheaper than cable, plus they keep track of your shows.

Companies in general have to be greedy to be successful
I'm not defending them in any way but am surprised that you are surprised about this shit that has been going on since literally thousands of years

Sadly it doesn't work like that in Germany, mainly because of the "Störerhaftung" (which is still law for private homes) that make you responsible for everything that happens on your network. For example if your neighbor torrents the latest capeshit through your WiFi you're the one getting thrown into jail for it.
Here's someone explaining what exactly happens and how to defend yourself against it
archive.fo/bXmBN (some things changed over the years, mainly that downloading and streaming is now completely illegal too, not just uploading)

No big company would be against piracy, these are just articles meant to piss people off and turn them more in favor of piracy
The situation is pretty much as
describes
Its the little companies that are getting fucked and cant survive, its like having the same people steal (lets not get into a shitfight of is it stealing or not, im using an example) the same amount of products from walmart and your local store, Walmart will still turn a benefit

I'm not surprised, and the point was that you implied they would die without their propaganda

So this. Why is not people understanding this anymore? So glad to see one has a good sense here.

smart boi

>AND THAT'S A BAD THING

Anyone got a link to the article?

Attached: 1525755486735-r9k.jpg (508x508, 14K)

they're being killed but by netflix, amazon, redbox etc while they were suing their own customers

>Pirated version works better
>DRM and Botnet free
Hmm, I wonder which I would choose? I don't mind paying, but don't mess with the customer.

Because it's not true. Small studios who don't have the distribution network like Disney and friends have always needed to rely on stuff like torrenting to actually distribute things. If you want to take issue with something, figure out how we can change the laws so that they aren't just corporate welfare.

We all know what piracy is. We just don't care. Neither should you.

I don't identify as a pirate, how about a Viking raider?

>he doesn't live in a country where they can't do this
Canada feels nice desu

There's too many video "products" anyway.

It takes a while for old people to die, so they hold back progress longer
Blame the progress in medecine

The argument is that because no one's going to the movies anymore it makes smaller films less viable and thus companies make more capeshit because that's what brings the last of the crowds.

if they were smart, they'd set up an advertising model like google

>all comic book movies
do you not watch movies?
Marvel releasing several films a year doesn't mean that there's only comic book movies to watch (shit, everyone else trying to cash in on that -- like DC -- finds themselves doing loads worse).
Marvel movies are just really highly promoted and dramatically better than anyone really expects from a comic book movie, considering that they've been traditionally awful.

had a post typed up basically saying this
but you need to emphasize just how small-time
like, really fucking small-time, where the added promotion piracy generates doesn't recoup the losses in sales from people who would've otherwise purchased

Yes and no
Arthouse movies generally dont appeal to a large audience no matter the buzz, ie I dont expect the new Cosmatos movie to make much money even if its buzz is already godlike and whatnot
If the already small audience just decides to not show, the movie wont make money no matter how famous it gets since most people wont be interested to begin with
Think Scorsese's Silence, idk
It was fucking Scorsese, everyone was talking about it, nothing else was on cinema around then iirc and it still flopped

depending on the company, that's another reason to stop giving money to them, user

we need to get the other 31%

Attached: friends.png (500x418, 249K)

Not like I'd use your convuluted and failed products anyway.
TopHatter, Uber Eats, Wish.com, all those shit apps.
They don't even make sense to use outside of the USA, but they still advertise them to us.

>streaming is piracy
is there any case law that has proven streaming to be copyright infringement.
if Netflix brings out a movie where the creator had failed to obtain the rights to a song it used, can the person who created the song come after Netflix customers?
>create a business model that is unsustainable
>your business fails
in the words of the great poet DSP "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW"
plenty of artists distribute music in free formats, but still restrict redistirbution of their music. Stallman still frowns on this though.
>fyi millenial is the new term for gen y
although that's the actual meaning, most people seem to use the word to refer to anyone from age 16-29.

In Japan they have just described piracy as a national emergency that manga artists are starving to death because of it, so they decided that they need to override the constitution in order to.protect them.

Oh no, some scummy tabloid said something wrong!

Funny because the western market for manga and anime is due to piracy.

>buying movies
>buying music
>buying goddamn pdfs
The mere idea sounds absolutely insane to me. At least I can kind of understand people who buy video games because there's some added hassle when pirating those.

It's easier to torrent stuff instead of registering on n sites and then visiting another n sites to pay for it. If really like something and find it worth going through that I'll do it.

This pretty much.

In most cases, the person pirating wouldn't purchase the product anyway. There's no lost sales, because they were never a potential customer.

O rly? Well at least here in germany they can drag your ass to court up to 3-4 years after you did it and they logged your IP doing it. And your only line of defence is: I live with 5 other people who all use my internet. You don't know who did it.
If you live alone - you are fucked, because you can't even begin to defend yourself.

still going on btw
I just paid a lawyer 600 bucks to just to deal with this shit. More in "damages" to come.

>For example if your neighbor torrents the latest capeshit through your WiFi you're the one getting thrown into jail for it.
You should be thrown in jail for having an open wi-fi.

>don't take something that is offered by a third party
>stealing
that's like going into a supermarket and not getting the wall street journal from the kiosk guy and being labeled a criminal.

It's bullshit that it starts before 2000. You shouldn't be a millennial unless you were born in this millennium

That's the reason why you never saw "free WiFi" in Germany until reccently

TEST

Congratulate me on my freshly purchased chong pass.

Why do companies care about people who are on the verge of becoming 40?
The years that a millennial could be born in are so goddamn far apart that it makes no sense to make generalizations about us.
They should be concerned about the post-2000 "what's a computer" crowd.

Isn't VPN sufficient for not worrying about that?

This
A lot of young people I know haven't bought any movies or music for the last 5 years and went just do legal or """illegal""" streaming

usually but still risky with things like IP/DNS leaking or not having a firewall or killswitch.
There are bots on the torrents that log everything, if your identity shows for just a millisecond it's over