/wt/ Watch Thread: MVMT edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=4kS3EwIA96M

>Thread theme (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

previous thread:

Attached: mvmt.jpg (1000x500, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dH3GSrCmzC8?t=1m58s
strawpoll.com/536ge2ww
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: patek_philippe_calatrava1.png (1065x602, 960K)

The more I look and compare other >affordable luxury watches the more reasonable DW seem to be in all honesty. Not worth their price imo but it is hard to find other watches that thin in that price range.

This is a genuine movement, right? Is the finishing just sub-par because Rolex has sealed casebacks and they are tool-oriented?

Attached: rlx2018032406-18.jpg (1200x900, 284K)

Somewhat true, but still doesn't make getting a DW any less ridiculous.
Citizen makes some cheap thin watches in that price range and lower too.

No, this is a genuine movement. Can I get another user to confirm?

Attached: rolex-caliber-4130-daytona.jpg (1000x1000, 127K)

Never mind the poo in the loo movement.
Those damn watermarks! How many can you fit in one pic?

Attached: dw_wearer.jpg (700x525, 112K)

anyone got any interesting rep lately that they like?

Smells like matzah

Puretime is a company that sells fakes.

Ignore baiting trolls, post grails.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180504_175840.jpg (1080x1633, 1000K)

Attached: download (3).jpg (249x202, 12K)

This is fake but is real. Rolex make ultra reliable and accurate movements, you aren't really paying for the level of finishing. That's why Rolex are so much cheaper than a Patek or Lange.

>sand greiko

My brother wants, pretty much, my Citizen Stiletto but in steel not gold and it doesn't seem to exist. A DW seems to be the closest thing to it.

> paying $50k extra for a platinum case and some hand tuning of the movement.
> grail
nah

design fit for wallmart

Why is so hard to fix watches. Fuck me dead. I used to repair phones and other small shit for years, but watches are really fucking hard to work on. Pic related little shit spring rod thing won't go back to it's place.

Any real watchmaker here tho ? I'll need some help soon.

Attached: simp1.jpg (1024x768, 444K)

Forgot the pic, sorry.

Attached: 20180510_010725~2.jpg (3072x3659, 1.2M)

@65873413
@65873433

Attached: bait_musical.gif (900x900, 371K)

Attached: 6F36E762-C5DF-4DAE-AF4A-DE39CD2E6E97.png (1102x1102, 864K)

Dufour's work is obscenely good.

Attached: Philippe-Dufour-Duality-00-Platinum-5.jpg (1600x1200, 369K)

>all these grand reddits

Attached: 175941.jpg (225x320, 16K)

>FORTY (40) JEWELS

do want this

Summer strap change over day. And no it’s not overhanging, it’s just the angle.

Attached: image.jpg (2392x2598, 2.77M)

Does anyone know much about button battery connections? The old Seiko digital I recently bought uses two batteries, the one on the right is fine and powers the display, the one on the left controls the alarm but doesn't work. I've no idea how the ring and the other thing are meant to be connected to the battery. Any ideas?

Attached: IMG_20180509_230419_1.jpg (1884x2228, 729K)

That reminds me that I need to get one of those MN straps.

Attached: SmartSelect_Instagram.gif (270x320, 3.41M)

Tonight on /wt/:
>anons are failing to repair jap shitters.

Can someone help me what g shock to buy?

Should I buy the normal dw5600 or the one with solar power ( G-5600E-1)? The one with solar power being powered by the sun get how many years befre having to change the battery?

Attached: g-5600e-1dr_00_1.jpg (480x480, 61K)

bb or another limited like this mihara, the finish is a much nicer matte - idk about the solar batteries, just imo these look a lot more modern

forgot pic

Attached: mihara.jpg (900x1200, 85K)

Just get any used one on ebay or on zenmarket.

>tfw collecting money to buy a 556
>I put 45 eur/week in the jar
>only at 220 yet
>can't wear it to egypt this summer
Soon my brother.

Also I am going to go to sinn's frankfurt store to actually purchase it.

Yeah the 556 is great, I just passed a year and a half ownership and I love it.

The store looks really cool, at least from the catalog. Make sure you try things on that you have no intent on buying.

Attached: 2017-03-02 07.36.36.jpg (3024x4032, 2.13M)

I'm going to steal that jar bitch

>Make sure you try things on that you have no intent on buying.
Haha, sure thing mate. I am going to put on every ezm and military diver they have just so I can post the a few pictures here.
The only thing is that I may change my mind and buy a limited version used rather than the normal one. I would really love yours if it had orange seconds hand instead of red. Like on the beams one. In fact the beams version is the one I really really like.

Please don't steal my sinn jar, Tyrone.

I think I'm going to buy a second hand Black Bay soon.

I already know I want the red bezel, but should I get the in house movement or the ETA?

What will hold it's value better and what will be cheaper to service?

Attached: 1506018530628.gif (640x360, 3.76M)

Anyone would think it was a hobby or something.
I've solved my own problem after tracking down the technical guide. Seems like the speaker block is almost totally missing and there shouldn't be a battery there at all, fuck knows what happened there then. Apparently the previous owner got a new battery installed recently so whoever did that was winging it and charged for two batteries. Bizarre.

>I already know I want the red bezel, but should I get the in house movement or the ETA?
Do you care about the technical merits of movements at all? Do you care about them enough to live with a thicker case and more text on the dial?

Basically the in-house Tudor movement absolutely dumpsters an ETA 2824-2 in every respect, but it you sacrifice some aesthetics for it and it will be more expensive to service.

is the tudor finishing/material/quality really worth ~6x more than mid range swiss eta watches? what makes it worth that aside from brand? I am not trying to bait, genuinely curious

I need /fa/ advice. What type of watch is should someone who sits all day in a cubicle coding wear? Dress, diver, chrono, flieger?

>I need /fa/ advice.
If only there was some place you could get it.

Tudor's external finishing is very similar in quality to Rolex, and is noticeably better than the mid-range uncanny valley Swiss brands.

Tudor's in-house movements are easily comparable to Rolex's 31xx, and are leagues better than an ETA 2824-2.

Tudor's in-house models are now the cheapest free sprung balance, balance bridge, silicon hairspring movement powered watches on the market, with some models cheaper even than Damasko's in-house models, I believe.

nerds don't wear nice watches, especially fashion ones. it is an investment for chads who love themselves, man made artistry and nubile young women

I meant if you're buying a tudor watch with an eta movement which is exactly the same as those cheaper watches

Are these even good?
Why is this the OP?

I might buy that orient(?) Knockoff until I can afford the real deal.

Attached: fd119f1bcb6f1bce2f9fa4efe9e864a5.jpg (640x640, 98K)

What do you wear to work?

Oh, well I wouldn't pay Tudor's prices for an ETA powered model, personally, but at least Tudor does substantially modify their ETA's. Honestly considering how small the price differences are between their ETA and in-house models, I think it's crazy to buy the ETA ones now.

I have the solar Gw-m5610 and love it. It stays charged even off of power saver mode just fine. Whatever you do don't get one with a negative screen. I have one and in lowish light it becomes impossible to read without the backlight.

Attached: 20170629_173009-1612x1209.jpg (1612x1209, 233K)

Galaxy Gear S2

Attached: IMG_20180509_180038466.jpg (4032x3024, 2.63M)

thoughts?

Attached: L1.jpg (1536x2048, 333K)

>thoughts
wristlet/10

Such a shit watch company.

I thought programmers made money on this board.

that's almost an 8 incher

is that a crack on the front?

It's called a wristwatch, not a handwatch you pleb

tell my pateks that, they like to slide right up to my hand! especially the platinum, it's a slippery metal

man I'm such a whore for upgrades with all my hobbies. Initial budget gets blown 5x over every time

Are any smart watches worth it yet?
Or do features and battery still suck?

they're worth it if you're old and tracking your health, otherwise no

No it's and old pic. It was from a failed oil attempt (what you see is air inside the oil). I've since drained and cleaned it. The only casualty being the beeper.

Depends on what you use it for.
I have a fitbit that I was given as a gift. It tells me a lot during and after my sprints outside, and now that I'm doing higher intensity training that involves attempting to get the pulse rate to a very high mark, it's useful to have a real-time check on what my heartrate is.

But! I only wear it when I exorcise. I never wear it in the house, or at any other time. I wear a proper watch for other things.

I charge it after a run, which is a usb-port to the computer while it uploads the data. Beyond this, I never use it or charge it.

I still don't know if it's useful or not in terms of my daily life. It's helpful for the moment for my workouts for very specific things, but in terms of daily life I could easily live without it (which I did for years).

If you're going to get one, I think the most important thing is to research what smart watch you want, what features it has, and how this may or may not help you in daily life. If you can't find a reason to buy one, then don't...

Attached: Fitbit Charge 2.jpg (770x433, 48K)

why would you put oil in it?

Makes it more clear to read. Supposedly when done right increases water resistance too.

is the atomic time signal thing actually useful?

I thought smart watches were a total meme.
I bought a samsung gearfit 2 dirt cheap from a fat roomate who got it bundled with his s8 a year ago
The watch faces got me hooked
Then the email and sms alerts grew on me
Then i stated controlling my phone music with it
Then i discovered it could play 4gb of BT audio by itself
Then i discovered it had a gps and cyclocomputer speedo
Then i discovered the auto cycle fitness tracking and started pushing harder to get more kcals

I absolutely cant live without now and just purchased a metal watch strap for 11 dollars from ali. It is fantastically good.

Attached: IMG_5750.jpg (2448x2448, 1.18M)

Forget the ref, but this one is great

>solar
>atomic radio sync
>world time
>not retardedly huge

Attached: IMG_20180429_171942.jpg (2000x1500, 1.14M)

Attached: Grand-Seiko-SBGD001-Spring-Drive-8-Day-Power-Reserve-Watch-1.jpg (1000x904, 225K)

Attached: LangeZeitwerk_24.jpg (700x464, 51K)

>shit battery life
>limited feature set
>outdated in a month
Only thing semi useful is fitness metrics, but you can do that with an $80 fit bit.

A phone does everything better

Not him but yes very. It's neat knowing the exact time, and you can use it as a master watch to set everything else with and see how they keep time.

does it work in australia? or is it a US/EU thing

get a gps-sycned watch instead of a radio-synced watch

Attached: casio waveceptor radio range.png (600x615, 138K)

I prefer a watch without glory holes.

Depends on how near to a tower you are. There's signal emitters in Colorado, Europe, China etc.

Signal is strongest at night when it can bounce off the ionosphere. I think most watches are 5 band radios.

That's an ugly dial but for for reason the honey gold version is a thing of beauty.

Attached: lange_zeitwerk_decimal.jpg (2400x1350, 203K)

damn, that's a shame

>tfw I'm a jazz bassist, but I wear my watch on my right wrist so I'll never look as cool as Chuck Israels
youtu.be/dH3GSrCmzC8?t=1m58s

Attached: 1519814091696.jpg (476x474, 27K)

their dials are ridiculous Probably the watch i want the most after simplicity.

you are wearing the watch on your hand, you have bitch wrists, and you have tattoos. 0/10.

It's because there isn't a hard black/white contrast. While I enjoy the mechanics of the watch, I absolutely hate the aesthetic. For me, the digital windows are too far apart, so the watch looks like it's missing a few chromosomes. I understand it's necessary for the movement to have enough room to function, but in this particular case the function-dictating-form just results in an ugly as hell watch.

But, these things happen.

Attached: Aesthetic Perfection.jpg (1195x939, 307K)

> the movement
they even heat treated the damn spring

Attached: L043_7_Zeitwerk_DecimalStrike_1.jpg (1115x892, 228K)

Hairsprings aren't made out of carbon steel, so that isn't heat blued. Normally those blue hairsprings are exotic alloys, but I'm not sure exactly what ALS uses.

Looks similar to

Rolex uses Parachrom which is a proprietary alloy, but they're probably pretty similar.

Are you blind or trolling for a (You) ?

/wt/ Census Pls be honest

strawpoll.com/536ge2ww

Attached: 1508698568525.jpg (500x620, 86K)

Good job leaving out Southern Ontario, it's not like multiple /wt/ regulars live here or anything.

Attached: 1523151768520.jpg (500x375, 51K)

ALS do have history of playing with metals to create great springs. If someone can do it I wouldn't be surprised if it was them.
Are you not talking about the blue coloured spring? Both those watches have one. I would zoom in and shop them together but that's too much effort.

>CANADA

just put as US desu, you lot are nearly the same

I've been away for a few years, what's the hottest new meme watch?

I already have a steinhart vintage one, green Neptune SE, and seagull 1963.

Ah, thought you meant the whole movement. My bad. Anyways I doubt Lange are using what Rolex do for the spring.

I remembered Canada at the end but tbch your whole country is smaller than some of our states. Just put east/west/central, forget vertical differences

>Southern Ontario
kek