Why is python so comfy

Why is python so comfy

I feel like a slice of butter melting on a big pile of flapjacks

Attached: Python.svg.png (2000x2000, 184K)

Other urls found in this thread:

codecademy.com/learn/learn-ruby
wren.io
pyre-check.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*hissssss*

Attached: pythonchan.gif (400x480, 124K)

because it forces you to actually do something.

>do you see that mountain? YES, you can do it with Python!

i got banned from TPH for saying my opinion on python.
>terrible formatting, there's rarely any brackets or semicolons
>case sensitive operators
>kids these days are being taught python even though half of them won't be involved in STEM, and the other half get an imprint in their mind that they're a hacker because they wrote a 100 line text RPG in hour of code
>"it's a progressive language"
>people refuse to acknowledge it as a scripting language
>"i can code! I'm a coder!"
>while it does have its uses, it's the least efficient language for most situations it's being forced into
>DUDE IT'S NAMED AFTER MONTY PYTHON, HOW NERDY IS THAT!?
>it's as overrated as it was in the early 2000s
>for some reasons employers value it over other languages and pay python programmers more despite the flooded market
it's almost as bad as ruby

python blows bro

Except Ruby is better than Python in every way.

PINEAPPLE-EXPRESS
on
DECK

Python to C++/C
Is like
Windows to Linux

It lets you get work done without expecting you to waste your time.

how can duck typing work in big projects? must be a hell to debug
>works in my case
>ship project
>oh, inputs I didn't think about fuck up everything at runtime
>what could we do to prevent this? static typing? nah we're to hip to do that

python's strength lies in its ecosystem

Elaborate

Lol, literally can't render more than 300 triangles at fps

*at 60 fps

It is a meme escape word that losers use when their favorite PL gets BTFO so hard.
I've seen javalets do it "the C# language is superior to java but java's eco system is superior to C#'s"

There are Python libraries out there for almost every conceivable task, including wrappers around C (or C++) libraries for things that need a bunch of speed. Combine that with various methods for making a single binary to ship per platform and you have a tool that's fast to program, easy to distribute, and fast enough to run for most things. It's not good for fancy games, low level OS stuff, or high performance network daemons, but that's why C, C++, Go, and the JVM languages exist.

Why not just use a RAD program at that point?

>Ruby is better than Python in every way.
So much this.

>GLOBAL
>INTERPRETER
>LOCK

Exception handling. You might have heard from it.

Because everything is done for you

Python programmer here. The fucking GIL is one of the few things about python that I do truly hate

Oh shit and I'm on that server.

I only had one duck typing error like that in a big project and to be honest the feed provider was to blame.

It's not hard to type-sanitize inputs (which I did in that case) it's just Noone does cuz it's extra work that shouldn't need done.

The real downside to duck typing is efficiency. Python is always going to be slow in comparison to a statically typed language.

you forgot the quotes

>python is slow because it's duck-typed
This is the type of people who browse Jow Forums and argue about programming languages.

what can you do with ruby that can't be done in python.

>Ruby
LOL

it means that programming in python is dumb, what you're supposed to do is use python to call C code from a library that already solved the problem for you.

Python is a mediocre poc, but nothing you mentioned matters or makes a good case.
Also
>it's almost as bad as ruby
except ruby is slightly better

You don't
Python is a console language meant for data science
It isn't supposed to be used for programming more than simple scripts.
RoR and Django were a mistake, but I suppose they were atleast better than PHP and the modern nodejs cancer.

> syntactic whitespace

Attached: disgusting.jpg (854x570, 51K)

A wild complex lambda appeared!

Python is confused!

Python hurt itself in its confusion!

Attached: 2000px-Orange_lambda.svg.png (2000x2090, 71K)

I like it just fine in Python, and in Haskell.

Attached: govnocode.webm (640x360, 2.35M)

Can I get a job with it though?

I'm not sure but It's not getting a job I know much. Can't do dick with ruby outside of San Francisco.

lol just learned about the gil
Why doesn't everyone use jython or ironpython?

python made me waste way too much time because I was too stupid to notice that ints are two bytes and it automatically makes everything an int.

>I feel like a slice of butter melting on a big pile of flapjacks
nice reference. brought me back to a simpler, happier time

>Why doesn't everyone use jython or ironpython
Because you don't write performance critical code in Python, because they are both even slower than CPython, because they are both stuck on Python 2.

>ints are two bytes
They are not.

Python 3 sucks

It does. You should use 3.6 and soon 3.7 instead.

I think the coolaid you guys drank was spiked

what are some good learning materials e.g. excercises, reading material, content. to start and practice python?

codecademy.com/learn/learn-ruby

>codecademy.com/learn/learn-ruby
So this will give me web based programming content. Anyone have material for cross platform programming? Ruby will be useful as I'm looking at a web based spreadsheet I need to communicate with a program.

So python is basically a rapid application development platform? Is this the way of the future? Is this why companies pay people absurd amounts of money to use a server side scripting language? Someone please correct me if I'm off target here.

"Learn python 3 the hard way" by Zed Shaw. Look it up, you can get the whole book for free if you lurk enough.

import fagot
def fagotIsFag()
print "python so easy i am a.
noobi"
return True

>So python is basically a rapid application development platform?
If by rapid application development you mean throwaway scripts, yes.

why import fagot? Poor prog

As a physicist, i quite like python. It allows me to spend less time programming.

You have to be 18 years old to post on this website.

It's substantially easier to make any kind of DSL in Ruby.

i am 12

unsubstantial flamebait

All hail scheme

Banned xd

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

>tries to make fun of python for being too easy
>can't even make 4 lines of python code properly
user, I...

it's not comfy. writing anything more than a small script or single page app in Python becomes an unreadable mess. underscores and single-line generators fucking everywhere.

the most aesthetically pleasing language I've seen is wren.io

Python is still useful when you need a prototype done.

You write 2-300 lines of code, get some numbers on your screen, and say "See, boss ? Told you it worked. Now give me 2 months and i'll do it in C/C++/whatever so we can actually sell that shit to people".

Attached: Are-the-Aliens-Really-Having-the-Scary-Alien-Chestburster.jpg (880x660, 93K)

Python itself is RAD.

why not just use Cython and ship it as is ?

>the best language out there for data science(if you think that's a meme useless field then replace "data science" with "statistics")
>the best language out there for various scientific applications including physics, astronomy and biology exactly because it's simple and clear, from a point of view of computer scientist you can say it's shit, because it's shit for your applications, but from a physicist point of view he doesn't need to get involved into low level shit that's completely useless and time consuming, he wants it to perform computation related to his field and python does more than fine

Nah. Python 2 (or 2.7 for that autism user) is still better and used the most. I will never switch to Python 3.7 as it's still a shuttle language

Instead of spending 2 months getting paid to work 3 hours a day after i convinced everyone to to it in C++/C# ?

plus, python code is basically already C with all the libs you're importing. I'm sure numpy's .c files are on Github or something.

This.
All things considered it could become the standard for embedded scripting languages if the author picks it up after finishing his book.

you develop your prototype fast and then use this to clean up:
pyre-check.org/

what

Oh nvm, you're on your way to become a great programmer

It's exactly the whole field of machine learning and data science that drives the development of python and makes it a first choice if that's your thing.

I would not use it to just write some generic "software" though, that's for sure. But Jupyter Notebooks are the best thing since sliced bread to deliver a numerical analysis with a written report to someone.

Attached: kigu shoujo gaia contact_cropped_smoothed.gif (375x360, 724K)

What do you mean by shuttle?

EXPLICIT > IMPLICIT

Just spawn a bunch of sub-processes.

It's easy!