/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1507615396672.jpg (344x400, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ix.io/1a0L
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Autostarting
github.com/JustOff/moon-tester-tool/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

do people use debian stable testing or sid?

Stable for server
Testing for desktop

stable is hopelessly outdated
don't use it unless stability is your number 1 priority like if you're running a server or something

stable is too old (for my main computer) and testing/sid are too untested (tested them myself)

install arch

sup
just installed antergos deepin, it's looking good but does anyone know how to get rid of that stupid titlebar on firefox?

forgot pic

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-10 19-13-49.png (1920x1080, 198K)

>implying arch is a well tested stable solution

i haven't had problems with it

holy fuck, I had firendly linux shit filtered for quite a while and applying filter again
but the OP post grew in to immense packed mess

I am not being all 4channy here, but that is a work of an aspie

see ya around next time

Attached: 1482100606606.jpg (214x236, 12K)

>tfw to intelligent to switch from windows 10

quality post

Attached: 1445281233135.jpg (912x576, 92K)

I'm completely new to GNU/Linux. I've googled around for quite a while, but all discussions I found were frankly too confusing to me.
I have an x64 win7 desktop with UEFI. Yesterday I bought a new hard drive for it, and I want to partition it so that about half of it is NTFS and half of it is unallocated space that I can use to install Ubuntu Mate and dual boot with Windows. When I opened the Disk Manager, Windows prompted me to pick how I want the disk to be partitioned, with MBR or with GPT? After googling around, it seems GPT is the more modern and safer choice, but I can't understand how it works with installing Ubuntu.
-Should I let Windows initialise the drive with GPT, or should I boot from my installation USB and let the Ubuntu installer do it? Will Windows be able to read the NTFS partition created by Ubuntu or will it still want to do an initialisation that will mess up my linux install?
-Will the Ubuntu installation process be any harder/different with GPT instead of MBR?
-Should I just go with the tried and true MBR and be done with it?

And a bonus dumb question: does grub get automatically installed with Ubuntu, or do I have to do it manually?

the ubuntu installer is really good and does just about everything for you
it has a built in partitioner just use whatever default it offers, it installs grub, sets up your multi-boot and all that jazz

Oh, thanks! That sounds good. So I just ignore the Windows initialisation thing? Do you know if Win7 will be able to read the NTFS partition despite it having been created by another OS? I need that extra storage space for my Windows, since I won't be getting rid of them for a while to come.

You can't install ubuntu on an NTFS partition if you are trying to do that.

If ≥ version 60, Menu>Customize>Titlebar

Oh no, I know that. I just want half of my drive to be NTFS, so both OSs can have access to it for storage.

Just leave it as unallocated space and format it in Windows later.

Does debian still have the issue of being literally unable to complete your installation over wifi unless you use an ethernet connection so you can add the non-free iwlwifi drivers?
Because every time I mention this, someone posts that unofficial non-free debian iso and it's never worked for me, it always asks for the missing firmware just like the regular one.

Attached: umaru.png (1726x1280, 801K)

Okay, makes sense. Thanks

They should be in the nonfree iso, if they're not then you can download the firmware separately and load during installation or add after installation. Hard to say what your hardware will do from here senpai, try it out or don't.

Having a issue with apt/aptitude.
I'm using Debian testing and when I try to install anything via apt or aptitude I get this error:

The package linux-image-4.16.01-686-pae needs to be installed but can't find a archive for it.

Can't skip it or install any other library without this prompt.
apt update doesn't fix it.
I think it might be related to kernel headers but I'm not sure.
I don't use any kernel modules.

that's testing for you
linux-image-4.16.0-1-686-pae is in the archive though. maybe try installing that

Do you think that Puppy Linux could be good as daily driver?

Old HDD died and I want to spice things up a bit, been using Arch for ages now. Anyone here had any experiences with Void?

>to intelligent

soup /fglt/

Should I force upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS or should I wait for 18.04.1? Any risks to forcing the upgrade?

Attached: 1525384102336.png (680x693, 933K)

>unironically waiting for lts versions
just do the upgrade man

Hello friends.
I'm running a .sh file that generates (or edits an existing) license file. Basically, I run this program and type in my PC username, then it should create a license file that allows me to run the main program when I'm logged into this user account on the PC.

However, I receive a writing error (permission denied - see pic related), when I get to the last step in the program. I've tried chmod u+w 'filename' and on fileinfo - permissions it says

>Owner: root
>Access: read and write

But I'm not running the CMD as root AFAIK. Any ideas as to whether I'm doing a brainlet mistake? Running mint btw and still new to linux

Attached: writingerror.png (543x248, 27K)

is there any way to autorun an application so it opens on a certain place?
it seems that i can't use --geometry on lxsession so i guess i have to try using another method.

Can someone help me with this unicode issue with URXVT ?

Attached: 2018-04-23-024208_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 109K)

I can't see pics right now (have them blocked) so I don't know if your image clarifies, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do.
Obviously you can't write to it though, because the owner is root who can already read/write it, and you're running chmod u+w
That just gives the owner write permissions, which is root.

If you want to give a non-root user write permission then either change the owner, or give group write permissions (making sure you're in the files group), or allow all users to write to it with o+w

Thanks man,
chmod o+w 'filename' worked

That's good, but keep in mind that letting anyone write to root files could be a security issue. I don't know what your use case is, but it's something you should consider.

If you are concerned that it might be a security problem then consider going the group route I mentioned in my other post.

That's a known urxvt "bug". Try a different terminal or try working around with it by building from source and patching it. Various fixes are in the AUR.

BTW, tail file, don't cat | tail file.

What's the best utility to backup files from one external drive to another? rsync?

Bluetooth headphones on Ubuntu are working ok everywhere except for mpv or VLC or any other video player. They work ok on YouTube though. The problem is that audio isn't synchronized. How can I solve this? Preferably on mpv. Thanks.

pulse?
alsa?
jack?

Sorry, what? I'm using mpv.

lol
What fucking audio service are you using

PulseAudio.

Also, this is the result of pulse config:
Card #2
Name: bluez_card.00_18_09_1F_17_B0
Driver: module-bluez5-device.c
Owner Module: 28
Properties:
device.description = "DR-BTN200"
device.string = "00:18:09:1F:17:B0"
device.api = "bluez"
device.class = "sound"
device.bus = "bluetooth"
device.form_factor = "headset"
bluez.path = "/org/bluez/hci0/dev_00_18_09_1F_17_B0"
bluez.class = "0x240404"
bluez.alias = "DR-BTN200"
device.icon_name = "audio-headset-bluetooth"
device.intended_roles = "phone"
Profiles:
headset_head_unit: Headset Head Unit (HSP/HFP) (sinks: 1, sources: 1, priority: 30, available: yes)
a2dp_sink: High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink) (sinks: 1, sources: 0, priority: 40, available: yes)
off: Off (sinks: 0, sources: 0, priority: 0, available: yes)
Active Profile: a2dp_sink
Ports:
headset-output: Headset (priority: 0, latency offset: 0 usec)
Part of profile(s): headset_head_unit, a2dp_sink
headset-input: Headset (priority: 0, latency offset: 0 usec)
Part of profile(s): headset_head_unit

Start using pale moon

Attached: 2018-05-10-220213_1680x1050_scrot.png (1680x1050, 82K)

How do you put a screenshot in the clipboard with scrot?

xclip

>developer decides for you which addons are allowed
Nice cuck browser.

This takes a list of filenames in separate lines as it's stdin
tr '\n' ' ' | xclip -i

and puts them all in a single line and then into clipboard.
What do I need to add at the beginning of that command to properly quote/escape each filename so I can use them on the command line?
Let's say this is the list of filenames that I feed into the command:
something "something".png
asd's asd.png
hm \'h'm" 'hmmm"".jpg
'$(echo lol).gif
[/cpde]
I want to get this in my clipboard:
'something "something".png'$'\n' "asd's asd.png" 'hm \'\''h'\''m" '\''hmmm"".jpg' ''\''$(echo lol).gif'

or this
something\ \"something\".png asd\'s\ asd.png hm\ \\\'h\'m\"\ \'hmmm\"\".jpg \'\$\(echo\ lol\).gif

Attached: 1469978650842.gif (480x270, 2.96M)

geh
something "something".png
asd's asd.png
hm \'h'm" 'hmmm"".jpg
'$(echo lol).gif

I want to get this in my clipboard:
'something "something".png'$'\n' "asd's asd.png" 'hm \'\''h'\''m" '\''hmmm"".jpg' ''\''$(echo lol).gif'

or this
something\ \"something\".png asd\'s\ asd.png hm\ \\\'h\'m\"\ \'hmmm\"\".jpg \'\$\(echo\ lol\).gif

Attached: cute anime pic 0291.png (1001x935, 983K)

Really? So if I say something like scrot -u | xclip --clipboard it will be there when I paste it into 4chanX?
I doubt its that easy

>$(echo lol)
wtf

gotta cover all cases

Read the xclip manpage. There's a special option for images.

yay I figured it out without your help, /fglt/!
while read file; do printf '%q' "$file"; echo -n " "; done | xclip -i

it was simpler than I thought

Attached: cute anime pic 0596.png (730x1080, 461K)

Mentally deranged pedo faggot, kill yourself.

Attached: 1441246406281.png (601x1068, 574K)

>ricty diminished - A Japanese programming font
Just thought I'd share this gem with you all. There's also rictydiminished-with-firacode

Is there a beginner friendly build script for Gentoo? No, I don't want to use clover.

>Is there a beginner friendly build script for Gentoo?
cloveros
>I don't want to use clover
then just install gentoo like a non faggot

-t, -target
specify a particular data format using the given target atom.
With -o the special target atom name "TARGETS" can be used to
get a list of valid target atoms for this selection.

How do you use this piece of shit to display the available targets?

Hey lads, anyone else running Debian Sid right now?

Asking because new Firefox update seems fucked, every once in a while it just stalls and starts showing black bars everywhere.

Tried running it from the terminal so I could catch error messages when it started acting up and this was the output.

Is this happening to anyone else or might it be something wrong only on my end? Just isolating variables before I file a bug report.

Attached: 2018-05-10-224417_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 311K)

On arch linux the login program is invoked automatically. How do I pass parameters to this program?

Any crux users here? Thinking about it being my next distro.

here, I'm dumping this deprecated clusterfuck out there ix.io/1a0L
maybe some of you die hard feh users will find it useful
sxiv's where it's at

Attached: 1493353823585.png (439x547, 351K)

When Ubuntu 16.04, with Unity, upgrades to 18.04, what happens to the DE? Does it stay Unity, or does it get changed to GNOME? Would like to know the answer before I update.

what are you talking about

I suggest qutebrowser as an alternate, non shit browser
also, I suggest Devuan as an alternate non shit Debian

what's "the login program"?

gentoo user here, seems pretty neat from what I know, gonna try it soon too

So good, on this piece of shit machine is the ONLY usable browser no joke.
T R Y I T

Attached: ppm8&5.png (1024x1200, 1018K)

How do I use pip packages systemwide without the dependencies conflicting between packages? I've tried virtual environment, but then I have to activate the particular venv to use that package

>what's the login program
I'm referring to the literal binary entitled login it is invoked automatically at startup and I was wondering how i could pass parameters to it.

It's the best. prove me wrong

Attached: dwm.png (192x80, 373)

Yet another major problem that is solved by Nix and Guix.
Interpreter modules can be specified inside the script itself, so there are no conflicts.

For what purpose? You're not supposed to change the parameters.

systemd-analyze blame
> 51.161s man-db.service
What can cause this? Yesterday it was fine. Manjaro.

Can i disable this shit at boot without bricking my system?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-11_07:27:58.png (1024x600, 91K)

systemd

Nmbd is part of samba. If you don't need it, you can disable it.

I would like it to not prompt me for my user name everytime I login. Maybe if I could somehow add a default user, I think that's what the -f option is for.

read the manpage again, it's not. You'd probably need to make your own login.

Have you tried just doing a search for what you want? I know for certain there are some login managers that allow a user to automatically be logged in at startup.
If yours doesn't allow it then why not just switch to one that does instead of coming up with a hacky solution?

Or actually, it looks as if the solution is generic and independent of login manager. Just search for it.

Cool thanks, i've disabled everything else besides samba and internet time services, seems to be working fine.

Attached: Windowshot_2018-05-11_08:44:50.png (745x600, 78K)

It has the same issue Windows has when it can't find a driver. You can certainly place the firmware on removable media and insert it when the installer asks you to. Debian will always have the issue of never providing non-free software. That will never change as it's part of their mission statement.

Your probably right. Rsync is great for backing up files. But if you want to back up a drive (like /dev/SDA) use dd or clonezilla

>make your own
what did he mean by this?

I tried looking at other "login managers" but all th console ones seemed to function more as display managers that would run after login

The solution I am looking for is not complete autologin I still want to be prompted for my password I just don't want to have to enter my user name everytime I log in.

If you encrypt you entire HD at install, I heard there can be some slowdown. Is the slowdown specifically at boot time because of the initial decrypting? Or do you feel it the entire time your system is running? I’ll be updating to 18.04 as soon as we get the first point release and I’ve always just encrypted my home folder.

trying to get my debian to auto start x when i login, it startx for a moment then exits with the error "server lost, waiting for X server to shut down. Exiting due to signal". what am i doing wrong here?

this is what i added to ~/.bash_profile
if [[ "$(tty)" = "/dev/tty1" ]]; then
pgrep i3 || startx
fi

post /var/log/X11/Xorg.0.log

How do I set a file to open automatically every time I log in?

just follow this
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Autostarting
xdg-open /path/to/file

dm-crypt decrypts on reads from disk and encrypts writes, so the entire time.

From my experience slowdown isn't that noticeable on a desktop setup, it's mostly just high processor usage when you're constantly doing disk I/O. If you're not using a shitty old laptop it should be fine.

This. I switched over after FF fucked all my extensions.

Just use github.com/JustOff/moon-tester-tool/

why dont people read the documentation?

Attached: 1518317688434.jpg (900x900, 196K)

Because they are brainwashed into using Google instead.

People have trouble reading in general. Hence why YouTube tutorials are a thing despite being a total waste of time.

pls stop putting /sqt/ in the sticky
this thread keeps showing up whenever you search for it

When Ubuntu 16.04, with Unity, upgrades to 18.04, what happens to the DE? Does it stay Unity, or does it get changed to GNOME? Would like to know the answer before I update.

im on debian currently, whats the best remote desktop program that has an android client and supports both fast local networks as well as internet connections OR a secure one that only does local devices