/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60(s; t); X200(s; t), T400(s)/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: products_image_X300_1.gif.jpg (1500x698, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/253607481141
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-AMD-Ryzen-models-ThinkPad-A285-and-ThinkPad-A485-listed-online-for-the-first-time.303102.0.html
www3.lenovo.com/pt/pt/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-e-series/ThinkPad-E585/p/22TP2TEE585
ebay.de/itm/a/152990628231?hash=item239ef3b987
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Jow Forums i have a t430, i need a new laptop, and i'm autistic, so i think you guys can help.

autistic things i NEED:
>keyboard similar to the *30+ chicklets: slightly concave tops and easy to touch type on. none of the perfectly flat top shit
>non-retarded modifier and function keys positions. the SuperL and CtrlR are useless on lenovo keyboard. the function keys are useless because you can't touch-type them. the home/end/insert/delete block is retarded. Fn and CtrlL should be swapped physically (I know I can remap in the bios)
>won't shit the bed when i install forty different distros every week
>new. i don't want poojeet's crusty cum
>1500 usd budget (I can get ~%10 off anything from dell, and use the NJ*PERKSEPP code on lenovo for ~%20 off)

autistic things i want:
>15" FHD+ IPS, good contrast. brightness is secondary. I'm using the 1600x900 TN right now so literally anything is an upgrade
>build quality. if i have to get an L or E series, or a competitor's equivalent, idgaf. just no 300 dollar walmart tier shit
>dockable. usb-c docking is fine, as long as it uses some standard shit i can get off amazon and not propriety bullshit
>8th gen cpu

autistic things i would rather avoid:
>dedicated gpu. intel hd is fine
> gaymer shit. i have to attend meetings with boomer normie "Very Important Persons" frequently. black or metallic body plz
>touchscreen/2-in1/tablet/rotating screen

I want a new battery for my x230, is the original one for lenovo what I should buy, or should I get a chinky? I want the most battery life I can get.
Also, is doing the ips mod difficult? The pannel and resolution are extra crappy.

Why do these thinkpad threads always have the fugliest example pics?

it's 2018, nobody needs a cd drive in a laptop anymore

They are useful for secondary hard drives.

>It's (current year)
Faggot.

> Why people use thing that I don't use?

>nobody needs a cd drive in a laptop anymore
But i use it on a monthly basis to rip music CDs.

>inb4 spotify, the music streaming service that has no music whatsoever

>2018
>fagpads

My x230 seems to be offset by 1/4 of a cm to the left and thus I get a slight black bar on the display. This happens even when booting up/on BIOS. I'm on Debian Stretch using XFCE as my DE. Anyone knows how to fix it?

Is the ultrabase for the x220 the same as the one for the x230?

Si.

sí*

I just bought an x220 off ebay, I'm going to put coreboot on it but is there anything else I should know? Also is it faggy if I paint it yellow?

I want the nonautistic OP back, fuck you libreniggers and your shitty placebo

>is it faggy if I paint it yellow
do whatever you want, nobody cares

i roll with muh anime decals

OP here.
I'm sorry i couldn't get the classic image. I tend to pick a random model and search the highest resolution pic available.
I should've put an X301. And also fuck all freetards (and the FSF)

Would you prefer if the anime/k-on OP came back?

Attached: ritsu t420.png (480x480, 226K)

ideapads are good

No I want all the libreboot shit out the OP
And the old models
It does nothing but make shit more expensive for us, if you don't already know what model you want to buy it really doesn't matter to me if you get a newer thinkpad.
It's gotten to the point where it's basically impossible to get an X60 or an X200 in decent condition for a normal price anymore.

Did I trigger you, Thinkypoo?

it's /tpg/ user might as well be 2004 up in here

Got this today, good deal by getting no HDD/SSD or DVD drive to save a little money plus a backlit keyboard fitted. All I had to do was buy a caddy to replace the DVD drive, sadly it does not look as seamless as the caddy I had for the T410 but it's working so can't complain. HDDs were from my T410 which gave up the ghost, I'll get a SSD when I have spare cash but I gotta buy a new phone so it's long down the list, battery could do with replacing too.

Anyway, my question is, how do I know when Optimus is on and the process is using the dGPU rather than the iGPU?

Attached: Capture.png (660x525, 42K)

T440p by the way.

Thinkpad E585

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-e585-hero.png (725x515, 74K)

My W520 won't boot from the SD card reader. Is this something that was added in a later BIOS update? Or would I have to put Coreboot on there? Or is this just not something the W520 is going to do?

Attached: pny_micro_sd_card_16gb_1ct.jpg (450x450, 22K)

Jesus christ I just watched the fhd mod video and it's much harder than I thought it would be.

Also internal batteries.

I'm looking for an x61 mainboard. Any of you guys selling one? preferably with a T8300 or T8100. And no, there is none in ebay.

Does anyone have an 8470p? Is there a way to get msata SSDs working? Someone on the archive said it worked for him but I can't find anything else.

Attached: 1426439474268.png (604x426, 388K)

is a t420 enough for fhd playback? I see tons of t420 thinkpads on ebay in germoney with the low spec i5‘s for like 150-170€

Guys what's a good one for school work and general shit? I'm a staving college kid so my budget is probably below 1k, below 600 would be better.

Thinkpad T60 or X60.

G-guys, please help

Attached: 1487701946149.png (640x885, 682K)

Only if you put Libreboot and Trisquel on it.

currently bidding on an X220 on eBay. Post pics of your ThinkPads to inspire me to win the auction, Jow Forumsays

>change thermal paste from my t420s
>same temps

is it because I used the brand Manhattan?

fucking this
I've come to hate the retro tech review channels because they've encouraged the reddit to buy thinkpads
I can't even find a reasonably priced x61

What about the (at last) recently announced RyzenPads?
Or try getting a T580/P52s

>fuck all freetards (and the FSF)
wat did he meant by this?

Wat was amount of shekels deposited?
>T440p w/ backlit kb
Seller was enthusiast, too, eh?

>sick digits
Nah, just a lapsus of rage, nothing else.

Linus Tolvalds dropped by to say hello

kek this

Did the Nitrocaster mod to an x220, shit is very cash.

Attached: Nitrocaster mod.jpg (2048x1536, 302K)

I literally just tried yesterday with a 64gb hynix one that I had lying around.
I tired it in the free mPCIe slot where the WWAN card would usually be above the wifi card.
It sadly didn't work, it wasn't detected at the BIOS or OS level.
Weird thing is though after leaving it in there for like 10 minutes it got pretty damn warm, so maybe there's a sata controller and it's just blocked at the bios level?
the 8470p is supported by coreboot so if that's the case it maybe be possible to use msata after flashing it.

Attached: 1525555121116.png (1920x1200, 1.94M)

How do we stop that autistic hapa on youtube from destroying the ebay market for memepads.
Obviously it's not just him, there's like 20 channels just dedicated to "A GAMING/SCHOOL LAPTOP FOR $50??????"
It's getting out of hand, the reddit faggots shilling memepads in every fucking "recommend me a laptop" post were bad enough but these videos get a ton of views.

ebay.com/itm/253607481141

Look at the usb wifi adapter.

Attached: x230.jpg (800x1200, 719K)

>notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-AMD-Ryzen-models-ThinkPad-A285-and-ThinkPad-A485-listed-online-for-the-first-time.303102.0.html

Are A series Thinkpads good enough to buy with Ryzen inside or are they inferior T ripoffs? I don't think I can wait for them to trickle up any further in the Thinkpad range unless I'm waiting for mobile Zen 2 chips

also fren, here
xinput set-prop "#" "libinput Button Scrolling Button" 3
replace the number with the device ID of you trackpoint, on mine it's called "PS/2 generic mouse"
It makes the right click act both a scrolling button like on thinkpads and as the regular right click.
Also the trackpad is both large and sophisticated enough to fully support libinput gestures, if swiping around to change desktops and stuff is your thing.

Attached: 1525208112902.jpg (770x577, 208K)

It seems that they are almost exactly the same as a t or x series, except they have AMD CPUS, or at least that seems to be the goal. They are priced similarly, so I would expect them to be equivalent.

Get the E585

>replace the number with the device ID of you trackpoint, on mine it's called "PS/2 generic mouse"
that's assuming fren is running X witn an old xinput. These days on Wayland or X with a new libinput, middle button scrolling is enabled by default.

elitebooks only have 2 trackpoint buttons so you can use xinput to map the right click to also be a scroll button.
Wait so what would be the equivalent on wayland?
Is there an equivalent for xmodmap too?

>unironically recommending an E-series

newer ones are great, better than most consumer laptops at the same price point.

>RAM upgradeable to 32GB 2400 DDR4
>M.2 drive
>15.6" 1080P screen
>Choice or Ryzen 3 through Ryzen 7
>USB-C
Sexy
>

Attached: IMG_20180510_234152.jpg (725x515, 167K)

Is battery and performance alright?
I'm not sure whether to use a x220 or x230 for the 1080p mod.

Enjoy your glacial read/write times

>tfw when repasting, getting a new battery, upgrading to 8gigs of ram, cleaning out the vents and upgrading to an SSD all in one go

Attached: 1525304642150.jpg (249x249, 8K)

is the RAM dual channel? In that case it's fucking goat

I want to get an X230 but I'm incredibly averse to integrated graphics units. Are the 3rd gen i5s completely terrible or somewhat bearable?

Attached: image.jpg (741x1100, 145K)

yes, it's dual channel
www3.lenovo.com/pt/pt/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-e-series/ThinkPad-E585/p/22TP2TEE585

Nice
ryzen graphics are supposed to be as fast as a mobile 1060 right?

I'm on intel HD 4000 and it plays everything I care about

No.
I like AMD and I am still not this fucking retardedly deluded

Shiny new video games are for faglords

That's just from a benchmark I saw on here

Anyone have a freetard T60? How do they like it? I think that's the one I'm gonna make a libreboot trisquel machine.

Attached: 0VGGRq7.jpg (589x743, 57K)

My T430 is throttling the CPU to 1.17GHz - 1.25GHz, I have an i5-3320M. I can't update the BIOS due to a dead battery.

Anyone know a way to update bios on dead battery or how to get rid of underclock? I've Google for hours and found no solution.

fucking finally. lenovo releases this, and hp has come out with ryzen elitebooks.

yes
it's worthless
even with 4 gigs of ram it can't really run anything, the screen is a nice ratio but it's fucking cancer to look at and it's overall a meme.
just buy a chink battery, it'll either work ootb or you just use a simple program to get rid of the battery block.
Also you might be throttling due to heat
>ryzen elitebooks
muh dik

I just got a used t440s , i5 and a 1600x900 display as a gift.What should I do with it? It says that one of the batteries is missing, what does this mean and where do I get a new one?Thanks.

I've heard T430's have problems with installing GNU/Linux as well as firmware problems, is this true? are t430's a meme

t. maybe buying a t430

Attached: bill.jpg (140x140, 4K)

both memes

I eagerly await this thing getting phased out, so I can grab it on the cheap

Get a xx20 series instead

See pic here

Attached: 1522358855135.jpg (488x668, 51K)

Is the screen flexible?
> 180°

No t420s near me.

I can choose from:
-T500
-T410
-T430
and
-X220T (tablet)

what do

easily t430, not even a choice

Wait until you can catch an X220 or a T420.

Avoid the X220T if you don't need the drawing meme. The 410 and 500 have worse performance than the xx20 series
> Or go for the T430 if this doesn't bother you and can deal with the whitelisted BIOS

>A285/A485 are finally coming
YES!

Attached: YES.webm (1280x720, 539K)

Too early to tell. Just did it the other day.

is there a single place where i can get all the t420 drivers and software (including the gpu driver)?

Lenovo site is all over the place and it's a pain in the ass to get every software.

the SD card reader on W520/T520/T420 is not tied to the usb controller, but to the PCIe controller.
My mom will be a virgin again before those models will boot from SD.

Ryzen mobile apu graphics is roughly as fast as GT 1030, what you are thinking about is probably the vega m used in latest intel nuc, but that is comparable to 1050 TI for the most part, close to 1060 only in very cherrypicked examples.

which would you pick x1 carbon current gen of the t480/s?

accidentally made this as a thread

just bought this so I could be a Jow Forumsentooman and now I dont know what to do with it

Attached: 1421139415597.jpg (1920x1440, 174K)

sell it to someone who will actually use it

yeah the E485/585 look great, except on one point, cooling, wich seems a bit weak, but it's not like i realy play games on my thinkpad so it's okey forme
also, no DVD bay, but that's a recurent problem on a lot of modern thinkpads
btw when will it available? i thought it was supposed to be for april

Is 8gb the most a t440 can handle?

Is ebay the best place to buy ram?

>only have three usb jacks
Dudechild, use one of these to run your os of choice. Shove a hub into one of the others to "reparations and shit." Bonusround: Additioinal usb jacks than when you started.
If this only throws you headlong into autistic ragemode then find an os that allows booting into static and unmounting the thumbdrive., USB jack available once again.
>Or is this just not something the W520 is going to do?
Exactly. If the reader is on the same bus as USB is, it would be listed in the BIOS. If it's on a separate bus (most likely pci) you're shit out.

On pixiv, if I horizontal scroll with the clit, it will switch to the next pic. I'm surprised they even have this functionality, since horizontal scrolling isn't something consumer mice can even do. I guess it's for phones? Either way it's killing me, is there a way to remove this for just this site?

I have an x230 in front of me now, works great. Plays some games, fast and quiet. What specifically do you want to know?

Attached: 111 little-brother.jpg (1024x768, 165K)

I got given a t460s, Is it worth keeping?

I really liked this guy's books when I was younger though his newer stuff is cucked to shit, got any recommendations for similar stuff?

Attached: shopping.jpg (116x159, 6K)

bump

Is this a good deal? ebay.de/itm/a/152990628231?hash=item239ef3b987

yea, but they don't have a FHD display, so...