Just get a cs major

>just get a cs major
>you'll get a good job no sweat

Attached: 1445801869438.png (645x1260, 440K)

t. some fag who scraped through his degree with a shit gpa and now suddenly has no knowledge to get a decent job
Nice work user

>get a cs major
>get $70k starting job from one of the companies I interned with throughout college
Wow so hard

is a 2.9 considered shitty? do employers even care about gpa?

No, they don't. I graduated with a 4.0 and nobody wanted me because I was a "Do the homework, take the test, go home" student with no side projects or shit outside of classwork. I couldn't get internships, let alone jobs. If I'd have known going in that CS was a who-you-know cesspool where all your classes are basically just some administrative overhead and you're expected to go do all sorts of much different shit on your own, I never would have even considered studying it.

It's generally advised that people with sub 3.0 gpas leave it off their resume as employers see it as a detriment. So yes and kind of.

Not in the least. I do expect you to rock the interview questions though, given that I get guys with no formal education who can at-least muddle through.

interview this: *braaaaaaap* uh oh *walks away*

Do you look down on tradies trying to jump industries if they're competent?

>just get a cs major lmao
>you certainly won't be a codemonkey wageslave lmao

Attached: 1429825382186.jpg (385x387, 17K)

>just got a cs major
>got a good job no sweat

Attached: heh.png (787x707, 143K)

You need to put in effort before you graduate to find an internship or a job. This is speaking from someone that had no prospects after I graduated. Then I got an internship which turned into a full time position, worked out.

>tfw submit over 60 applications for second internship
>get 8 interviews, about half of which went extremely well
>0 offers
Fuck this gay earth

How to game college;
1) Take easy general education courses for GPA.
2) Join the best honor society that will take you.
3a) Start taking real courses.
3b) Do an honor society social project.
4) Use honor society connections and major credits to get internship.
5) DO NOT FUCK UP THE INTERNSHIP
And presto, you beat the "entry level 2 yrs wrk exp plox" paradox.

>If I'd have known going in that CS was a who-you-know cesspool
That's the whole world, silly.

My state uni’s CS program is chock full of street shitters. They all cheat so damn much that when you talk to them about basic programming concepts theyre about as braindead as it gets. And yet they’ll get cs degrees. But theyll come out those programs having failed every interview and posting on Jow Forums why the industry sucks.

nah they already infested the industry, and they're slimy and nepotist as fuck, they get in HR positions and only hire other indians

I had a 4.0. You're worth jack shit unless you have """work experience""" from summer jobs and you did networking with normies. I just did my classes and went home to play video games. I'll never find a job because I'm not "hey it's that one guy with whom it was fun to get wasted with!"
essentially this.

The opposite in-fact. I have a degree. I'm not one of those "self-taught are the best," people, but I do respect competence in the interview over all else. Nothing else is a good proxy for ability to work.
>muh portfolio
Tons of people hire freelancers to build one for them. Holy shit is this abused. I don't even look at a portfolio if it's on offer.
>muh school pedigree
I'm considerate of this if it's MIT or CalTech, but other than that I've seen too many duds from top 10 schools to care.
>tradies
Actually most of the guys who self-teach are lib arts majors who realized how fucked their job prospects are too late. I don't see a lot of plumber types. They make good money in my area though.

welcome to life retard lmao

I don't know if it's a regional thing, but I did get a job really easily here in Germany.
I send out like 5 applications and got three interviews from which all of them wanted to hire me.

t. Under average grades, no side projects social retard.

Protip from someone who hires: Master your potential interview questions from books. That should be a breeze if you did well in CS. After that you just fill out the resume with whatever the job listing says and back-fill gaps in your knowledge. It's not bullshit if you pass the interview and I don't care what the HR cunt says.

>Example
Blah Blah Co.
Jr. Developer
Required: X, Y, Z langs, and A, B, C platforms
Preferred: 1,2,3 frameworks, 4,5,6 misc.

On your resume you list experience with anything they want LESS THAN 3 YEARS experience for. 3 years is the bullshit cut-off line. If they use 5+ years, you leave it off unless you're iron-clad with it. But nobody uses the over-3 on Jr. spots anyway.

So you get to the interview with this and think "well fuck now I have to dish on ABC123456XYZ." No. You have to be able to toss out buzzwords while we ask you about fizzbuzz (always lead with that to screen out the mongoloids) and then throw some graded difficulty level problems as you to chrew on. Virtually never are we going to ask you anything deeper or more applicable.

>but this employer asked me to work on all these projects before an interview would take place
Fuck em. There are way more jobs than their are people to hire. Tell them you are too busy and they need to compensate you for your time. If they agree to that, tell them it's not worth your time.

>But my interview was a four hour gauntlet
If this is for a Jr. position, fuck em. Again, there are more jobs than their are quality applicants. If they tell you the interview is going to take more than 1hr, 2hs if it's a very worthwhile employer, tell them you're not interested because your time is valuable.

>TLDR
Yeah the primary role of university is networking and most students don't realize this. It's still trivial to a decent job if you know the system.

How well can you fake enthusiasm though? I suspect that was my bigger problem, however much I tried to hide it, they could tell that I was doing something I had no desire to do because I had to.

The way i display enthusiasm for a particular topic, you get me started and I won't stop talking about it, even if the other person has stopped caring.

how to get a job 2018 edition

>networking:
>drink alcohol with mouthbreathing 2.0 gpa retards - their 2.0gpa upperclassman friends will get hired by THEIR 2.0gpa friends. You will get hired because you're a "fun guy"

>hackathon/some other shit:
>literally solve problems on their website just to be called to an interview
>literally make up solutions for free and there's no guarantee you will hire you even if they use whatever you made

it's the BIGGEST fucking scam. You have to work just to GET a job that will underpay you and then after a few years show you the door when they can find someone younger who will work for cheaper

>How well can you fake enthusiasm though?
I'm a sleeping pill. Pretty sure it's just the ecenomy right now, as everyone needs programmers and code monkeys.
I just wonder what will happen in 10 years when the Indians take over.

>drop out of school at 12
>making 60k/yr doing delivery

Shouldn't have fallen for the education meme. It's all about how you talk to people

Attached: 1521921288568.png (482x448, 300K)

Serious question for both of you since you both seem like HR or management people.

I am a "Tradie" of sorts. I have a two year technical degree and numerous certifications for the field I work in which is Maritime.

While it would take a very long time to explain, the ultra short version is that the US at some point in the next ten years will end the practice of using Americans to operate within US inland waters and around US coastal routes and waters. At which point our country will rely 100% on foreign ships for which there are no opportunities for Americans due to wage and language barriers.

I have a large amount of cash and other assets. Before that day comes I want to go back to school to jump to a new industry, I am strongly considering something in the big sphere of "Tech" although I was looking more at management information systems or administrative IT, as I have generally learned from lurking this board that CS majors have it really hard.

What kind of advice can you give me as far as the ideal degree (s) to try and earn (or if I am on the right track with MIS)? As far as making connections before graduation I have had to do that already for my current field so that won't be anything new to me.

what field should I have gone into instead if my main goal was to avoid all this "networking" bullshit?

You can't you have to do that even for skilled trades see my previous post.

theoretical physics or pure maths. the higher population of autists the better.

CS has been ruined by all the silicon valley larping javascript html normies

I can't think of any worthwhile industry that doesn't involve networking and knowing people.
I like to think that natural selection is alive and well, if you can't coax your way into a job using your interpersonal skills, you don't deserve financial security.

That's not natural selection it's more the result of hyper competitiveness which is a result of globalism which is the result of rampant corruption, none of which is natural.

If it were natural selection autists that are badasses at coding from birth but suck at everything else or math geniuses that engineer AI farms for google would never have jobs, because they would all get killed at birth or in their youth by the rest of the tribe, probably by stoning.
Go look at the middleast it still works that way there.

>not only do you have to spend 40+ hours a week doing pointless shit that you hate just to survive, you get to kiss ass and deceive people just to be allowed to do so! Have fun persuading all of them that you actually like this!
I hope thermonuclear war destroys this planet and kills everyone on it.

those "autists" aren't nearly as "autistic" as you think they are.
they managed to land a job by getting past multiple interview stages

wow dude, if you don't like computers or programming them, why the FUCK do you want to do this for a living?

So, it's safe to assume that 3 years is just bullshit?
I've always suspected that. I mean, why would they ask for three year experience with bullshit stuff like html, css and javascript if you could learn all there is to know about this stuff in weeks and master it in months?

the key is in the words "for a living". Nobody wants to do anything "for a living". You're doing it because you have to, you need the money. If you like computers and programming, I'm quite certain you have much better ideas for things to do with them than whatever an employer wants you to do with them. No kid gets his first hello world program to compile and thinks "Ooh boy, when I grow up, I'll get to maintain an application that prints payroll records! That sounds like so much fun!"

>i spent my childhood on the computer so i studied cs because it said "computer" and i don't have the drive or disciplinary fortitude to do anything else and now i cant get a job because i did the bare minimum

you people are a dime a dozen

Attached: lmaooo.jpg (663x511, 56K)

>>If I'd have known going in that CS was a who-you-know cesspool
>That's the whole world, silly.
Maybe the best advice given in these threads ever

>Yeah the primary role of university is networking and most students don't realize this. It's still trivial to a decent job if you know the system
This, especially the last part. Know how to interview, practice whiteboarding, cram algo questions, fix up resume, negotiate when necessary. I'm the least social person you can imagine but have no trouble getting and keeping a dev job.

>I'll never find a job because I'm not "hey it's that one guy with whom it was fun to get wasted with!"
If you're difficult to interact with nobody will want to work with you. Not everyone who can talk to other people only wants to get shitfaced with them

personal projects. I applyed to a shit ton of internships with no personal website and no porjects and i didnt get any, then i took some time and did personal projects and made a personal website and i just got a quality assurance internship writing test cases over the summer at a tech startup

any thoughts on ux design

Hey project/portfoliofags, explain me why someone wouldn't just steal my work if I put it on github etc?

>HR doesn't want to hire an introvert potential workplace shooter with a short fuse and zero interpersonal skills

color me surprised

Attached: astolfo wew lad.jpg (1200x1200, 189K)

You, too, can have a career making computing worse while thinking you're making it better.

suicide

because you won't be flooding your github with bleeding edge, paradigm shifter projects, dumbfuck.
Besides, you only show your open source contributions on github etc, don't flood with reinventing the wheel bullshit, it passes on a negative impression. For simple i-can-do-this projects, you up 'em on your personal website.

they can, and do, and the very architecture of the git version control system encourages frequent forking, by design.

if you're lazy, just make a fresh github account and fork a bunch of projects, they'll look like your projects because github only adds a little "forked from xxxxxx/repo-name" stub under the title.
You can avoid this part if you just git clone their project and repupload it as your own.

If your GPA really is a 2.9, then you should be applying to no name, business support/sales type companies in the middle of fucking nowhere.

Can't stand these fucking new grads complaining about getting a job w/ 3.9% unemployment.

those statistics are fucked because they only cover people who are receiving unemployment benefits
how many able bodied adults are sitting at home jerking off?
the us government doesn't keep track of them

Assuming I wanted to get hired as a game developer, what would I show? Let's say I'm working on a game, but if I showed a proof of concept video of it that would be enough for them to steal the idea, and make it faster because they're an actual company and ideas have no protection like (pubg->fortnite).

Isn't it retarded to make simple "projects" that aren't what you're working on?

note: I have no interest in game development and I most certainly don't want to work in the gaming industry. Please apply this to normal software development.

TL;DR. What the fuck do you put on your portfolio that's good enough to make them want to hire you but not great enough for them to steal it?

>don't flood with reinventing the wheel bullshit, it passes on a negative impression. For simple i-can-do-this projects, you up 'em on your personal website.
so only put stuff on github that'll be popular and get you 1000 stars? i can't be fucked creating a portfolio website, talk about reinventing a wheel

I'm sure most introverts are mild people who just want a paycheck and be left the fuck alone.
>being this much of a condescending prick
You got a lot to meme about people not wanting to hire boring, competent people. You sound like a dickhead that sucks the boss' cock for good boy points.

why is that

They do, actually, the number you're looking for is called the participation rate, and yes, it is several percent lower, still, than it was before the recession.

No. Contribute to open source has nothing to do with creating a prestigious open source software, but you could if you wanna, like dmenu or rofi.
If you don't like programming and crafting stuff out of passion and not just for money, what in the actual fuck are you doing here?
You're like the antithesis of the values forming the foundations this industry was build upon.

Using github as a resume is pretty retarded to begin with, just google "how to build a portfolio for x" and you'll find some specialized answers, but it's pretty much the same idea. It's just something to show your skills, it doesn't and shouldn't be something brand new.
You save your best ideas for yourself.

>If you don't like programming and crafting stuff out of passion and not just for money, what in the actual fuck are you doing here?
where did i say that

Is this some American meme? In Europe, as soon as I graduated with a CS degree, I got a software developer job easily.

>it shouldn't be something new
>don't flood it with reinventing the wheel bullshit, it passes on a negative impression

Can you fucking explain this shit? I'm more competent than 90% of my comrades in class but I can't get a job because the HR are some MBA thots or basedboys instead of actual sensible people?

yeah pretty much
welcome to the global economy, where there's 100 street shitters willing to suck dick and do your job for half of your salary

You just have to keep on trying, you'll run up walls after walls until you land a job.
Because trust me, if you don't run up on the HR department that is completely detached from the reality of actually working on a tech company, you'll fall on the hands of a sociopath who will expect you to build an entire project from scratch in four hours or deliver a perfect algorithm on a white board without a compiler.

Research some algorithms and build mini projects applying those algorithms, make a web project that apply the three doors paradox, rebuild flappy bird, it depends on what kind of job you want to get, anything that can prove that you can hit the ground running, dude. You'll eventually make it.
It's unfair, but it's the game.

I noticed the same thing.

It's because of what passes as a CS degree in murrica. Only the top schools, eg MIT, CMU, UCB, are exempt from that.

Otherwise you'll literally be a code monkey coming from anywhere else with too little mathematical background.

>While it would take a very long time to explain, the ultra short version is that the US at some point in the next ten years will end the practice of using Americans to operate within US inland waters and around US coastal routes and waters. At which point our country will rely 100% on foreign ships for which there are no opportunities for Americans due to wage and language barriers.

Prove it, faggot.

>getting a major
>for the T in STEM
Why the fuck? Who told you to do that?

self-employment

Entrepreneurship is literally nothing but networking. You're a salesman first and everything else second.

True. If you have the contacts you can make some serious money. My friend went from a shitty office job to running his own small-medium size delivery company because he had friends who hooked him up with clients.

My grades were good enough to get a PhD scholarship but not enough to get a job apparently.

fuck this whole networking and nepotism bullshit, you should die if you support it

If you support women working careers (I don't mean entry level jobs or running their own business), civic nationalism and immigration then you deserve it.

I don't understand what any of those, except maybe immigration, have anything to do with boomer scum hiring people just because they're from the same backvillage shithole as they are

How many internships is "good enough" to get a full-time position before graduating from university?

I have one semester left before graduating and have completed 3 internships at Fortune 50 companies

Attached: thunk.png (600x600, 155K)

Also, how do I into networking? I can hold a conversation about a technical topic I have knowledge of, but small talk is a mystery to me.
And where are you supposed to find successful people to network with?

I know everyone has already said this, but welcome to the real world, dumbass.

Attached: 1525803400071.jpg (600x450, 119K)

Network with faculty/professors. They're the ones who know people who work at all the cool big companies and stuff. It's easiest for ones you have classes with since you have an excuse to see them anyway and it'll be less obvious you're sort of just using them, but it's all kind of a dance anyway. They know what you're there for.
Small talk is just a practiced skill like anything else. Learn to listen and gain a genuine interest in what the other person has to say. Go read Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" since practicing what that book preaches will get you on almost anyone's good side if you do it right. Really, small talk is just finding what the other person is into (look around the professor's office, ask about their research, etc.) and jumping off from there. They'll ask about something pertinent to your interests after a while, and you talk for a bit; maybe you both will talk about something you're both into.

3 internships is probably good enough. I don't think most places expect more than 2 full-summer internships anyway since you can't be expected to be able to skip a semester and graduate within 4 years, anyway.

Worked in my case. Got two internships and now I work full time earning a lot of cash without problems. The degree wasn't a meme.

Attached: fR9z9x4.jpg (1024x576, 99K)

>no sweaty

>get CS major
>expect to get a job without knowing what the industry wants

I also wonder what most of my old CS colleagues are doing, considering they didn't bother doing CS as leisure outside their study.

Kek niggers. Its all in the projects you do outside your schoolwork. I have a high paying job as a physics programmer at gaijin entertainment because i made a mig21 simulator in opengl during my early university years and im not even cs. As for my native field which is in aeronautical engineering i couldnt get a job because noone wants a nigger who didnt do anything practical related to the field in the 5-6 years a person spends in uni. Company's also paying me a formal game development masters degree because i expressed a wish for it, but we mostly do entry stuff there like hurr what is a pointer lol.
All in all feels good not having these issues.

>graduate with CS degree
>get offer at Microsoft for 160k a year starting doing jack shit all day
Feels good to not be a brainlet.

ok Rajesh Kumar.

Wtf I hate niggers now