/sqt/ - Stupid questions thread

new /sqt/

Remember to spend at least a minute to check your problem with a search engine.
ddg.gg/lite

When asking questions provide as much relevant information as possible.

redirect new friends making their own threads with old: My question: is it possible that due to an overloaded power supply ONLY the optical drive won't work? As in cannot spin up.

Attached: Ainsley Wonka.jpg (311x311, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamgameswap-reputation-dunkey.bitballoon.com//
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/107472/prevent-monitor-to-sleep-right-after-lock-screen/
newegg.com/global/br/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144176&ignorebbr=1
registry.gimp.org/glossary/a
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can someone help me with configuring a virtual machine (server with AD) and a virtual client machine?
I have been trying to add the client to the domain for a couple of days now, but it's still not working. I am using VirtualBox for both, network settings are set to duplicate.
On the server I configured the DNS to point to itself and to 8.8.8.8, and on the host I used the server and 8.8.8.8. If I leave the public DNS out, I don't get network connectivity.
What exactly do I have to configure? I added the PC name in the AD, and I get the prompt on the client PC, but when I enter my admin credentials, it just tells me that no such domain exists.
Please help.

what is "KEK"?

Attached: orangepotion.gif (50x50, 6K)

Which ports should I open on my router in order to be able to make calls on telegram?

Attached: 47DC2727-F96B-461A-A45B-E7BD9837D4B2.jpg (675x1200, 134K)

please

Attached: 1501557422243.jpg (1199x1199, 128K)

Is there any reason to use a Mac other than for social status?
I've been a Windows/Linux user pretty much forever and willing to try MacOS for a bit. Been tempted and now I have money, considering getting the 2018 model if its not shit.

Try a good quality USB DAC? One that has DAC in its name and is around $40. $5 USB sound "card" dongles are utter shit, been there tried those.

In the game World of Warcraft, when an Alliance character talks infront of a Horde character they do not speak the same language, so there is a filter. When an Alliance player says "lol" the horde player sees "kek".

If you absolutely positively need a Mac-only application and nothing else but that will do.

is there a specific context when speaking on Jow Forums?

Attached: 87dab8809e820f6d7a05579c25576cde.jpg (886x886, 113K)

Its either the 2018 model or the new XPS 13. Heard this year's thinkpads are kinda meh.

kek is korean ㅋㅋ (kk) and has the same meaning as lol

It just means lol, but lol is "old" so the kids came up with using kek.
Since the new wave of newfags dont know the history behind kek they thought they came up with it and thus the nonsense that revolves around kek as you see now with Jow Forumsthe_donald posters.kek's origin dates back to 2004

THANK U

Attached: escalera.png (389x423, 311K)

Can clicking on a url get my password stolen? Let's say I was on Steam and I clicked a url through steam. Can my Steam password be stolen like that granted I didn't download anything? Here's the website
steamgameswap-reputation-dunkey.bitballoon.com//

What are some of the better aftermarket VGA coolers?
I know of the Morpheus, but I'd like a somewhat cheaper option, if that's a thing at all.
I know I can buy used, but then that's risking not having all the mounting and what not.

Theres a domain i want but its registered but is only a "buy this domain" page. Theyre saying that the bare minimum any of their domains cost is 2500€ which is frankly exorbiant. Doea anyone have experience haggling domain names? Most id pay is a few hundred and even then i think its overpriced as fuck

Modern kek comes for topkek though

Just chuck a 212 or something on it

"modern kek" , no such thing.
Kek comes from WoW, hands down no question asked. "topkek" is a meme in a meme.
Comming from "top lol" and the variations, "top kek" is just a variation and continuace of "top lol" and "lol"

Pls respond

And topkek comes from kek dumby

M o d e r n kek is topkek

Topkek

Attached: serveimage(28).jpg (975x768, 447K)

What does a topkek taste like?

No
You shouldnt even be posting phoneposter, you're in LURK MOAR mode

I dont like the icing

Mobile poster? Whatever do you mean

What does "I dont like the icing" taste like?

fell for the ltsb meme
like it so far, but miss Windows Mail
need a lite replacement which is on par with it, any suggestions? tried emClient and was disappointed with its speed

Like topkek

Anyone?

Lol no. Steam generates tokens or some shit

And if it wasn't from steam?

I really dont get you. Are you asking "if i clixk a link in the steam browser and take no further action can a website gain my login credentials"?

i always liked kik better

Let's say someone messaged me a link through some site like Reddit/Discord and I clicked on the link, does that make me vulnerable somehow? The link is probably legit but I'm just paranoid

Thats not how that works. Thats not how ANY of this works

No, youre understanding of how security works is funny but its good youre at least paranoid about security

So a Windows 10 update broke thumbnail previews for video files of all types. (i.e. the icon for media player showed instead of the video itself), Pictures still appeared fine.
After screwing around with clearing the Thumbnail cache, playing with view settings, changing the default player, installing codecs, etc, didn't work I installed Icaros and the icons re-appeared.

So my stupid question is: Why? Icaros' purpose seems to be to add thumbnail preview support to explorer, but until the last update it was already there and all my videos showed up as normal. Before the update, the thumbnails would even show in folder previews. Even with Icaros, folders just show the icon for the media player rather than a preview of the video itself.

I want to add a some pixels to random images in different places in each image, how do i do this with imagemagick?

Settled on Mailspring
Not sure why I didn't pick it earlier since I have used it on Linux
Need a calendar though

Why does my monitor sleep immediately after I lock the screen? I've checked the monitor's built in settings.

Exactly the same problem as this guy, who didn't get an answer
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/107472/prevent-monitor-to-sleep-right-after-lock-screen/
except I'm using Debian, not Fedora.

You have power management and have dpms enabled, when you lock it, it is also sending the sleep command to the monitor.
Turn of dpms on the monitor and within debian

>and within debian
by that you mean xset s off -dpms right?
If so I tried that already, and I think the dpms on the monitor was already turned off. (I'm assuming DP 1.2 is the same as dpms)

If I've opened a malicious pdf with sumatra, what is the best course of action to take?
>inb4 kill myself

there's a "download in progress" icon labeled "instant apps" that occasionally appears then goes away in 2 seconds, and my s5 hangs obnoxiously just before it appears. I even hard resetted the fucking thing and it still appears
>android 6
what do

Firefox keeps wiping all my bookmarks. It seems to happen at complete random. So far this week it's happened 5 times. Is there any reason why this would be happening? I don't even know where to start looking

If the CPU's architecture (i.e. 32 bit) denotes the minimum size the CPU can address, why is data stored and used in bytes?
Does that mean that every time the CPU gets something from memory, it is actually getting 4 bytes for a 32 bit architecture?

>If the CPU's architecture (i.e. 32 bit) denotes the minimum size the CPU can address, why is data stored and used in bytes?
you understand that not all cpus ever have been 32bit, right?

What's the best free office suite? I need comparability with MS office. Which one is the best in this case?
What's the difference between libre an open?

also, the word for what you're describing is called a 'word' (the processors' native unit size), and was used in advertising as a measure of a computers' memory capacity once upon a time. i guess they stopped doing that once architectures got more standardised, early computers had all kinds of weird and exotic configurations, making them hard to compare with one another

I know how I'd do it in irfanview:
>copy image X times
>Batch convert all copies of image
>add supertiny non-readable text overlay
>text is image name so it's unique

Also if you need to have different MD5, you don't have to fiddle with pixels. unique exif tags would be enough.
You're gonna shitpost, aren't you?

Attached: mmmm.png (947x936, 126K)

ok so i just purchased my domain name, now what do i do? who do i use for hosting and whats next?

Please help.

Can you get rid of the ads in the Android Google Search app? I already have dns66 and adblocker Reborn, but they ain't doing shit. It's fucking ridiculous, they give you like 15 results per page and a top and bottom 5 are ads.
>Inb4 hurr using botnet search

This is a normal thing?

Attached: go be jewish somewhere else.png (392x104, 7K)

I just built an Access database and application for the library I work on out of nowhere, I didn't even know how to write a formula in Excel in 2016, but here I am. I have no idea if this is worth something or not. Can I charge well to do something like this for small businesses and such? Is there a place to offer this service online? Completely new to this world.

Is this some kind of known bug in Jow Forums/qutebrowser or is my computer dying.

Attached: 2018-05-11-104530_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 155K)

Is it bad practice to mix if/else statement with ternary conditions? I made this util to default to the second choice if the property doesn't exist, but if it's just falsy but is defined then I just nullify it:

const select = function selectDefinedValue(x, y, field) {
if (!x) {
return x[field] === undefined ? y[field] : null;
}

return x[field];
}

>inb4 >node
I need $ ok

Attached: 1525452924091.jpg (256x245, 15K)

Whoops, accidentally removed the [field] part when copying and pasting:

const select = function selectDefinedValue(x, y, field) {
if (!x[field]) {
return x[field] === undefined ? y[field] : null;
}

return x[field];
}

Holy shit, I've lost the ability to click on like 5% of my computer screen.

On the bottom right corner of my desktop, my right and left click don't work. It doesn't matter what program I am in, I can't click at all, I can't use the scroll bar, I in Opera, I can't click on icons on my desktop etc. The bottom left, top right and top left still work. Its just the bottom right of my screen that isn't working. What's wrong with it?

Yes, all normies i know use adblock plus

does this mobo supports sli or cross fire?
newegg.com/global/br/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144176&ignorebbr=1

Attached: 13-144-176-V01.jpg (640x480, 39K)

here

Also, I've learned it by trial and error and snipping codes of other people with the same issues I had and so on. I believe I don't have a good knowledge of what makes good code or good databases. I have no doubling data on my tables and I try to keep it as organized as possible with the names of everything. Is there something you recommend on these general thoughts when it comes to programming? A video on it, a guide, some thoughts of your own, idk

basically I need to redirect a web request at least thats what I think I need to do

for example there is site.com, I type in my browser site.com and it goes there. One of the elements from that page is stored on sitecdn.com/logo.gif. I guess when resolving that I want my browser or firewall or whatever to detect that request and instead redirect to myownsite.com/logo.gif and load it from there
how do I do this? This seems like it would work if I had my own dns server but that seems like an overkill for something relatively trivial

pls help

pic unrelated

Attached: 1522364123460.jpg (1080x1216, 370K)

>newegg.com/global/br/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144176&ignorebbr=1

It says so in the link, pic related.

Attached: Capture.png (1901x1076, 499K)

My company had me install Mobile Iron onto my company cell phone. How much will a VPN save me from them knowing I browse explicit material on Jow Forums and use Grindr to find guys to fuck all the time? They won't know anything about the packages I send, right?

How long is this going to take? I just got this harddrive and thought "I'll do a slow format!" and now, several minutes later, I'm starting to regret that decision.

Attached: terabyte.png (265x463, 10K)

assuming 100MB/s, around 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Unless you actually want to destroy the data that might be on the disk there's no point doing a slow format.

nice pic

I can't mount my encrypted HDD on veracrypt. It doesn't show up in explorer, but it does show up in partition manager. I also can't assign a letter to it, so I think that's part of the reason I can't mount it. What can I do to get it to mount?

I hope your harddrive isn't dead. do you hear any unusual sounds coming from it?

>I just got this harddrive and thought "I'll do a slow format!"
there's no point

Not at all. However I think I might've corrupted it somehow, because there was a point where I plugged it in while windows was running and I got a blue screen... It's disk 1 in the pic.

Attached: 1502916085185.png (1095x747, 77K)

for some reason my laptop freezes on the boot screen whenever i put one specific usb flash drive in it, it doesn't matter what's on the usb, even if it's blank and has no partitions on it, it just freezes the laptop on boot. i want to use it for live booting various distros since it's my biggest and fastest flash drive, and is the only one that uses usb 3.0
how do i fix this

I know that it's possible to setup RAID when you're installing OS, but assuming I've already got the OS installed and setup as I need it, how would I go about putting 2 of my drives in RAID 0 through Windows? I've never set up RAID, but was wanting a ghetto setup of 2 hard drives I salvaged from my brothers old laptop
Motherboard is Asus B350-F Strix, if that matters at all.

How do i set up windows to hibernate when on ups? I hate when i go to work and find out there was a power outage and pc died.

>MULTI-GPU: With STEEL ARMOR PCI-E slots. Supports 3-Way AMD Crossfire
so if it supports crossfire it also supports sli?

load a backup
>b-but i don't care about my data enough to pay for it twice!
get your important files onto an external storage device and reinstall your os

I've never used a UPS before. When the power goes out and you're strictly on battery, does a icon on the taskbar appear indicating that you're on a battery? (similar to how laptops act when they're on a battery) If so, just like with a laptop, you should be able to set it to go into Hibernation when the battery is under a certain threshold.

How big of a performance hit would I take if I buy a second 1080p monitor and use to watch Youtube/Netflix it while playing games?
System is a Dell Inspiron 15 with a 1050ti and 7700HQ
If the monitor is too big of an inpatc I can just get a smart TV or something. I have a raspberry 3 but last time I tried it Netflix ran too slow on Chromium and since there's no native app it was capped to 720p

Attached: 1523229550212.jpg (400x400, 23K)

you should be absolutely fine doing that with no noticeable hit in performance whatsoever. The only time that is going to hurt is if you're playing a game that is 100% taxing your CPU and GPU at the same time, which doesn't often happen even though you have a meager 1050ti.

>What's the best free office suite? I need comparability with MS office. Which one is the best in this case?
LibreOffice is your best bet here. Compatibility isn't perfect, but it's pretty good these days.
>What's the difference between libre an open?
LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice. Use Libreoffice, OO is still around but development is effectively dead - all the developers left for LO when OO got sold to Oracle, mainly due to Oracle's shitty reputation. (Oracle later gave OO to the Apache foundation, but the damage was already done)

I have two 550 watt power supplies, one is 80+ Gold the other 80+ Bronze. One should go in my NAS the other in my Desktop. Where should I put which to save on my electric bill? Does it even matter?

Depends on a.) how many hours each of those is going to spend powered on, and b.) the amount of power they actually draw. You probably want to put the more efficient one in the machine that'll wind up drawing more total watt-hours.

If I want to buy a new GPU, how do I know if it's going to be compatible with my other components?
And am I supposed to keep the same manufacturer to avoid problems?

Attached: 1479599044222.png (382x417, 325K)

Just make sure your power supply has an appropriate 8pin/12pin power connector for your GPU and it should be fine.

My younger brother as a 6GB GTX1060 in his 5 year old DELL prebuilt and I got it working using an adapter that turned two SATA power cables into the appropriate power connector for his GPU and it's been fine for damn near two years now.

How do you deal with the crippling depression of not having anyone in your life

I work towards being the best person I can be so that I can earn the love and adoration of people.

How the fuck do I get mp4s and certain gifv to play on Linux?

I did that after last power outage. Didn’t have another one, so don’t know if it works yet

find people to add to your life
go and find communities for hobbies you enjoy
9/10 the people there will have a similar mindset to you and that hobby

Why is downloading from Baidu so slow? 87kb/s on a Friday noon and maybe 800kb/s peetering out to 200kbps at 3am - East Coast US. 0penload.co gets like 6mbp/s. Sad.

Attached: 1508741995051.jpg (1124x805, 83K)

any way to get the toolbox icons in GIMP to display as text rather than pictures of things? i am not familiar with the normal icons and would like to just read what each tool is rather than mousing over for a tooltip.

I have a windows 7 VM and very time i plug an external into it it hangs and disk usage goes to 100%, both disks are healthy, any ideas?

>there's also a button if you press F12
where

Also christ I was late to replying.

Attached: Untitled.png (1511x523, 32K)

Sorry to not answer your question at all (sorry), but my right click image search addon came with a Baidu option. What is baidu for? I think I fed it a photo of a "gravure" model once, and it gave me the set, but otherwise it yields nothing, ever.

For memory Mapped I/O, is it essentially a single portion of memory that's allocated and shared between I/O devices, or does each device get its own part of memory?

Is memory Mapped I/O how DMA is implemented?

Any idea where can I find a ~5 GiB txt file with spaced words?

Attached: 1514174629255.png (300x300, 8K)

Maybe you can do it with a Plug-in
registry.gimp.org/glossary/a

try a star catalouge