Gigabit over Ethernet

Just got Comcast gigabit.

I get 990 down / 40 up when I plug directly into my modem, but plugging into my router's gigabit ethernet ports doesn't give me the same speed (like 510 down instead).

Any ideas? Pic related, it's my router. (T-Mobile version is the same as the RT-AC68u)

Attached: cellspot-10.jpg (830x467, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubnt.com/edgemax/comparison/
smallnetbuilder.com/old-tools/charts/router/bar/74-wan-to-lan
ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>same as the RT-AC68u
Is it?

Are all your devices wired or are you using WiFi?

You could be using a shit cable between the modem and router, your router could be malfunctioning, or your router isn't negotiating the correct speeds with your modem.

Well, when the RT-AC68U originally released in 2013 reviewers had it peaking at around 800mbps.

Not sure if later firmware revisions improved things.

I'd check cables, and make sure your client device is capable of gigabit speeds.

Damn. How much you paying for that garbage ass upload speed?

If you have QOL turned on, turn it off.

if it's anything like my area

Attached: 2018-05-12 18_29_29.png (954x1651, 99K)

Fug. I pay 80$ for gig up down. I only get ~500 on my WiFi tho.

I’d check cables first, but god knows what extra bullshit is installed on that router. Just get a gig switch between your modem and router.

Attached: 1EA26635-879D-4F88-9520-E71E6D658978.png (1125x2436, 1.93M)

kill ure isps router too, you probably thought "haha plug n play" nah homie, log into isp modem, shut off router, reset both, wait, try again, and also make sure using cat 6 cable bruh, you might have one less than the other

>I pay $80 for a gig
>Only get half on WiFi
>Enjoys getting cucked
Lmao

How fast do you think WiFi is?

I assume you live on the east coast? The price for 250mbps is exactly what I pay for it in Boston, 92$/mo.

rofl at that "$89.99" ((((for the first 12 months)))) bullshit on their gigabit plan, i guarantee you it probably jumps to like $150 after that

but he best be using ethernet hardwired connection and not wifi for these speedtest. if hes expectig 1gig over wifi just sage this

Get the Ubiquiti ER-X or put on your big boy pants and pony up for the peerless ER-4.

ubnt.com/edgemax/comparison/

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 5.45.31 PM.png (1074x392, 336K)

If you are on ipv4, check the NAT throughput of your router.
smallnetbuilder.com/old-tools/charts/router/bar/74-wan-to-lan
It can't actually sustain gigabit speeds.
And don't forget to switch the NAT acceleration option on.
Also this, if you care about throughput over ethernet

WAN port in most routers is bridged with actual switch, and because of that everything that is transferred to client machines generates CPU load.
Since CPUs in these things are shit then here you go. Try monitoring CPU load on this thing while downloading stuff and confirm this. Maybe it's just a matter of installing 3rd party firmware (like openwrt or ddwrt) and/or OCing the CPU.

fun tip, if comcast offers gigabit in your area, it's cause another provider provides gigabit internet at a better price to you (if going solely internet)

>Fug. I pay 80$ for gig up down. I only get ~500 on my WiFi tho.
Same here, I just also have comcast as an option if I wanted.

Attached: 2018-05-08 08_58_53.png (536x163, 34K)

what modem are you using? trying to get a docsis 3.1 modem for my wave gigabit service.

it jumps to $114, but it's not contracted, so you can jump plans afterwards.

I have the same problem with my TP-Link OnHub. I use my own (motorola DOCSIS 3.1) modem too, but I still want to blame comcast.

>paying almost $100/mo for shitty speeds
>muh capitalism
I pay $48/mo for this.

Attached: speed.png (350x200, 20K)

>in b4 ausfags post their 1mbps speedtest and claim all of Australia has that speed

>1Gbps SFP

Attached: flat,800x800,075,t.jpg (800x800, 36K)

This. You need hardware acceleration on, qol off.

Thing's a beast.

Yeah but why use SFP for 1Gbps? Modular has been doing gigabit since like 2000.

Any router out there that can actually do traffic shaping at 500mbit+ speeds? Using an R7800 seems to cap out around 200-300mbit using Cake SQM, and that model appears to have one of the beefier CPUs on the consumer side.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

OP here.

Yes, QoS is off. Yes, NAT Acceleration is on (Level 1 CTF).

All my ethernet cables are cat5e though. Doesn't 5e support gigabit anyway?

Also, no I don't.

Only Comcast™ offers gigabit since I live in an older neighborhood with no fiber. Local internet company has shitty cable up to 100mbps.

And my gigabit with Comcast costs $95/month btw. Just call and bitch till they give you faster speeds for less.

Attached: images.jpg (300x168, 3K)

TLDR your level 3 device (router) can't keep up.

Get some prosumer/commercial gear, ubiquiti is a good choice. The entry level model ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/ will route at line speed for packets bigger than 512 bytes.

Sekatalous toimii.

so why are routers nowadays advertised as "gigabit routers" if they can't actually support it?

idc about LAN / NAS data storage, i mean real internet.

>so why are routers nowadays advertised as "gigabit routers" if they can't actually support it?
They likely optimized it for the LAN ports and not the WAN ports. Anyways, if you buy non-consumer equipment they usually tell you the actual potential throughput. Typically not all of your NICs saturated at once in consumer gear but definitely more than one at a time.

Huh. so the best solution is to buy a gigabit switch? and use one port for the router's WAN

Get Merlin on that 68U

You need to just buy a newer faster router. That's all that's happening here, it's bottlenecked.

Flash Merlin to your router (optional)
Try Cat.6 cable. You'd be surprised, Cat.5e has been a hit or miss for me at my work. Sometimes its perfect, sometimes its crap.