Pencil Mods

Who remembers in the 90's and early 2000's when people used to use pencil lines to overclock amd cpu's by drawing in new connections?

Attached: BE346596-1793-4359-A3A2-62028249DB83.jpg (443x332, 12K)

simpler times

it's almost time for your applesauce grampa

do tell

certain AMD processors had two pins which you could connect by drawing line, shorting a circuit which would otherwise have prevented you from adjusting the CPU multiplier to overclock it. When you drew the line and shorted this circuit, the BIOS interpreted it as an "on" switch to allow overclocking.

Used the pencil mod on x800pro to unlock the last four pixel shader pipelines. That thing uses to fly.

>me, AMD shill, friend Intel shill, both like 13 yo
>point out how superior AMD is because you can just draw with pencil to overclock
>friend can't tolerate AMD masterrace
>says you can do the same on Intel
>"prove it"
>he draws on his dad's processor
> would tfw but firefox is fucking memory hog and can't do shit while memtest.exe

lmao did you see the reddit thread too bruh

>This paint conducts electricity

> 4 hours ago
>sure why not. In the 90's and early 2000's we also used pencil lines to overclock amd cpu's by drawing in new connections.

>Looks like you haven't got a correct answer yet, so let me provide one.

>"pencil modding" is from an era where different CPUs had different base clock speeds, and base clock was an important differentiator because it had a huge effect on memory subsystem performance. CPUs would signal to the board what their stock base clock was with the logic level on certain pins. By drawing between pins you could change the logic levels and thus change the FSB that was identified.

>reddit actually posts information and helpful
>OP didn't know about it
>acts like he did
>makes thread after seeing on reddit

or you gonna tell me a few hours later OP just coincidentally posted something about something done over a decade ago

Wreckt

I remember it. We also had pure copper heatsinks back then

mmmmmmmmmm multi spot resistors and caps, saving costs very nicely

this shit was something you did to processors inbetween when I got my first one, and when I got my second one, by the time I would have done something like this, this was no longer doable.

Good times mang.

Duron 700 & 900 and early Athlon XP's pencil modded to at least 1ghz. Later CPU's had the bridges laser cut so you couldn't connect them.

You could also find Athlon4 Mobile CPU's with unlocked multipliers later on that ran at lower voltages and overclocked easily.

Meant to separate the XP from that 2nd line. Obviously they started at 1400/1500+ ratings.

Fuck. Those were the days

Those mobile bartons were crazy. Told my friend to pick one up and he overclocked it from 1.6ghz to 2.7ghz and upped the fsb from 333 to like 420. Good shit.

Who remembers the AMD opteron 165?
I had one at 3ghz... On air not delidded.
Man that was the time... Bf2 performance was insane.

I had one. It was replaced with i5 2500k. Mine did 2.9

The more hilarious bit about CPU back in the 90s/2000s was the fact they did not underclock when overheating. If you overvolted and overclocked incorrectly you literally could start a fire. There are videos of people doing this on Youtube but I'm not going to sort through the sponsored "10 TRICKS 2 OVERCLUCK UR CPU !!!!" - PajeetTipsVideos.

I'm nostalgia-ering hard. I had a DFI Lan party mobo and everything. I still have my pics on my old hard drive

I didn't have my hands on money for such things being not even 10 at the turn of the millennium but I became of aware of it later. Seems wild nowadays doesn't? I mean it blows most peoples minds you'd have CPUs shipping without an IHS either. We're almost full circle now with people removing them for maximum thermal transfer aren't we though?

Attached: 1525686488310.png (488x463, 28K)

that's super cool

Dang, I remember doing that, and it seems like it wasn't that long ago :(

even intel core2s could be overclocked this way. very useful on pre-builts and servers. generally you could only change the bus speed / base clock, and the multiplier stayed the same

say you had a 1.8 GHz on an 800 MHz bus
you could mod it to now run at a 1066 MHz
The new speed would be 2.4 GHz

>not still running core2
enjoy your botnet

Every single CPU was like that before the memory controllers started being integrated on the CPU with Athlon 64 (on Intel's side the i7 920).

1700 currently, from a 955 phenom II

when ram comes in sizes larger then 16gb, and shit doesn't feel painful to use at times, yea, long live the botnet

I miss the oc AMD thunderbird OC days