/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on other youtube)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM, Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming WITH/WITHOUT a graphics card (Low end)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale & closer to 2200G price
>R5 2600X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPU (Mid range)
>i7-8700k - Best for gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700X - Best high-end mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>TR 1950X/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (HEDT)
Overclocking
>Use Precision Boost2 offsets to overclock Ryzen2000X series!

RAM
>8GB - enough for glorified gaming use
>16GB - for heavy PC use
>32GB+ - if you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933-3200 MHz is ideal

Graphics cards
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 560, $115; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 8GB, $220+
>There have been good sales on RX560/RX570/RX580 lately. Look for them
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti, 1080, or Vega56/64; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
>Titan V

Storage
>Optane is good with StoreMi on Ryzen; not good on Intel
>240GB minimum for a storage drive
>2TB HDD are barely more $ than 1TB
>m.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>Consider getting a larger SSD, instead of small SSD & large HDD; add HDD later when needed

General
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: AMD river.jpg (225x317, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/BGTjZR
amazon.com/PH-GTX1060-3G-GeForce-Phoenix-Ready-Graphics/dp/B072172ZDK/
amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics-VCGGTX10603PB/dp/B01K8PAS8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/VrRC6s
bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-560-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5876608.p?skuId=5876608
pcpartpicker.com/list/VKnjZR
anandtech.com/bench/product/1771
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2600/13.html
caselabs-store.com/magnum-thw10-customizable/
pcpartpicker.com/list/vmVbKB
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/BZBxsZ
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/jMbkcf/lg-monitor-24mp48hq
au.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=402400,402666,403000,403200&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 1526051102228-0.png (568x568, 456K)

>Dad gets a new graphics card, accidentally unplugs new SSD I got him for christmas in the process
>Calls me to make sure he's plugged it in correctly
>Tell him it's fine, there's no real way to mess it up unless you force a connector in incorrectly
>5 minutes later, get a text saying his computer caught fire
>Computer won't turn on anymore
Finally got to take a look at it today, looks like the SATA to molex connector is what started the fire. There were two SATA connector ends going into the same molex end. Apparently when I installed his SSD, I chose the non-broken end by chance.

What about planning your monitor around your build?

Attached: THINKS.jpg (1000x500, 78K)

I removed the hd with windows 7 from an old pc and connected a ssd to it, then installed windows 10.
If I connect the old hd again to get my files, will it just work? or do I have to mess with the bios?

It will just werk yes

The 1180 is supposed to be really good and like $700 right?

How low can you go with Ryzen+?
I think the lowest voltage/highest clock I've seen was 0.88V at 2.8Ghz on a Ryzen 7 1800X
Is Ryzen+ any better? Can I get 0.875V at 3.0GHz on 65W Ryzen+, or is that asking for too much?

Attached: 1523210807761.jpg (1509x2132, 1.94M)

I don't understand the benefit of underclocking.

It doesn't exist yet.

Because you're a gaymer Amerimutt who can only equate performance with frames-per-second. There is more to life than high clock speeds and high power consumption, gringo

>really good
It will be better than the 1080 and the price will give you cancer

I can see the appeal.
Especially if you're building a home theater rig or anything where a small size and/or low volume would be beneficial.
Underclock -> Less Energy and Heat -> Less noise and smaller cooler, perhaps even passive.
Also just might be fun.

I blowed the dust out of my pc and now the power supply is making noises. weird

Does the underclock stay active all the time? Power saving modes make sense, along with underclocking a home theater. But I don't understand underclocking a performance CPU like an 1800X especially since it doesn't have a integrated GPU. Youll be blowing a massive amount of power on your GPU.

Last time I did that, I found half a cockroach stuck in the fan hub
I'm running a home media server in the basement and I need
>lower power consumption
>more cores to support h264 transcoding
>more cores to support a private cloud syncing software
>AES-NI for OpenVPN performance
The closet space gets really warm during the summer time, so I'm hoping to lower the heat output so I don't run into thermal throttling issues with a stock heatsink.

>looking at cases
>see 'Maximum Video Card Length'
I wish this was a thing years ago, it would have saved me some major headaches

I made some tweaks from advice in the last thread, how is this looking? Not gaming, but do use some CAD software and do some video editing. Just need a middle of the road build that will last a while.
pcpartpicker.com/list/BGTjZR

lmfao amazing

Probably 1080Ti performance and slightly cheaper, better power efficiency, yes. Nvidia got away with $700 MSRP for the 1080 despite it totally not being worth it because of fanboys and AMD not having a new flagship card ready. 1100 series isn't as much of a big jump in performance, and is just a die shrink, so I'd expect a $600 MSRP to start this time.

yeh

Looks good, assuming you need CUDA which CAD often does.

depends on luck, m8.
Ryzen 2000 series are the most efficient perf/watt CPUs you can get. Just try it and see.

>Last time I did that, I found half a cockroach stuck in the fan hub
man that's disgusting. have you ever found the other half?

I'm seeing these cards being sold for around $230.

ASUS PH-GTX1060-3G
amazon.com/PH-GTX1060-3G-GeForce-Phoenix-Ready-Graphics/dp/B072172ZDK/
PNY VCGGTX10603PB
amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics-VCGGTX10603PB/dp/B01K8PAS8K

These seem too good to be true, compared to other similar 1060 3GB cards being sold for $260 or more, such as the EVGA 03G-P4-6162-KR and the Gigabyte GV-N1060WF2OC-3GD. What's the catch?

That you are still overpaying for an old card?

What kind of noise is it making? Mechanical or an electric whine?
Either dust got somewhere it's not supposed to be or you blew the fan too fast (ez with electric blowers).
After blowing hundreds of consoles (worked at a used video game store), I've only seen the latter happen twice.
So it might be worthwhile to get in there and see if you can't blow the dust out of the nooks and crannies of the PSU. Might be worthwhile to open the PSU up to help with this (unplug the computer while it's on to help discharge, then let the PSU rest overnight before opening it up and DO NOT TOUCH A SINGLE THING INSIDE). This will void your warranty though.
Although if a piece of dust got in a bearing, RIP.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VrRC6s

Kinda new to this. Laptop recently broke so looking for a PC build for gaming: 1080 60fps minimum. Ideally looking for 144 FPS, but does my build/budget support this?

Is there a reason to pick the 2600 over the 8400? I like the price of the 8400. The 2600 is about 25 bucks more though.

Any general tips on my build?

bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-560-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5876608.p?skuId=5876608
My hd 7750 died a few months ago and I need something to temporarily replace it. I'm not really sure about manufacturers or if it's the 560D. RX-560D4SFGR is the rx 560D right?

gpu sales are going down so prices are dropping, shit's still overpriced considering these cards are so old and new cards are coming soon™

if you absolutely need a gpu now then it's not so bad but if you can afford to wait a couple months it will probably pay off

pcpartpicker.com/list/VKnjZR

it is a high pich constant noise.

>does my build/budget support this?
anandtech.com/bench/product/1771
Depends on what you play at a given resolution and settings.

Are the changes purely budget related? The store I'm planning to get this all has different prices (euro). So kind of a pain in the ass working with pcpartpicker.

For the RAM I get that 2 sticks and 3000 MHz is better now though, thanks.

I see. I'll play around with it a bit.

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2600/13.html
These are benchmarks for the 2600 vs 8400. TL;DR 8400 is faster.

And faster RAM is always better if you can find it in your price range. Always check your motherboards QVL before buying RAM.

Also you can change your country to one that uses Euros in the top right on PC Part Picker.

>And faster RAM is always better if you can find it in your price range. Always check your motherboards QVL before buying RAM.
If you can't find faster RAM in your price range, then snag some dual rank of a lower price lower speed. It helps make up for the difference in speed.

Disgusting cowtits

>if you absolutely need a gpu now then it's not so bad
I kinda do need a new GPU - Rainbow Six at ultra low settings is a muddy mess on my GTX 660. I don't want to wait until Christmas or next year, especially when availability is probably going to be horrible and prices are still going to be inflated to a degree. It's not like I play many AAA games anyway, or care too much about Ultra settings.

As for the current price, I don't really care too much, since I have a bunch of Amazon points saved up. What I was checking for was if the cards themselves were down-clocked or otherwise gimped in a bad way compared to their higher-priced cousins.

Will you guys make fun of me if I spend an absurd amount on a computer case?

Post the case and we'll see.

WTF is that PTC all about. How can it be so different to the CPU temp?

This is a totally fresh build.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1920x1080, 183K)

It's the 1000D, $500 and doesn't come with any fans. It can however support two systems in one case and has a lot of great features like usb-c headers.

Attached: Corsair-Obsidian-1000D-030.jpg (780x768, 113K)

can i get help with first build? got the pc on but i cant get signal to monitor. i have hdmi cord plugged into the gpu and the other 2 cords plugged in as well. what do

Look at the model on Newegg's site. It lists the number of stream processors.

wat?
$230 for a 1060 3gb is shit. You can get an RX470 4GB for that price currently, or $240.

>Is there a reason to pick the 2600 over the 8400
Platform, storemi, multithreading performance, etc.

Same reason you picked a 1600 over a 7400 last year.
Retards who bought a 7400 last year now have a 7700 as their best upgrade option, while people who got a 1600 can now get a 2700X, or get a 3700X next year that's even better.

That's gay as fuck

The rgb is gay I'm not defending it.

If you don't absolutely fill it all up with RGB shit and radiators we will laugh at you for being poor.

If you just want a nice glass case get the Crystal 570X. I built my friend's computer in it and it was a bit of a pain in the ass to work in but it looked nice when it was done.

do you NEED to run dual systems and have 3x 480 radiators? pretty sure there are dual-system chambers for cheaper without the unnecessary eye candy

>1000D
>1000 dicks
>148 liters
>mITX cases are usually 8-14 liters.
>You can have at least 10 mITX cases in the same amount of space.

I can't imagine they'll sell enough of those to make up for the money spent on tooling.

PTC = Processor Throttling Control
Basically max temperature

I'd actually prefer a windowless case. I just want a case that is HUGE and high quality so I don't ever have to worry again. I don't care at all about rgb. I care a little about sound proofing, and I care a lot about component slots and dust filters etc. If I could get a dual chamer case that would be even cooler.

Mitx cases are the worst meme. They're as bad as applefags.

I ended up comparing the specs on best buy between the ones on xfx's website since newegg only has the RX-560P4SFG5 and it should be the regular 560.
xfx is an okay gpu manufacturer right?

You're like a baby. Watch this.
caselabs-store.com/magnum-thw10-customizable/

I see, so that's not an actual reading, but rather the set max value?

I was somewhat worried becaue HWmonitor was reporting ridiculously high temps, while the bios readings were around a comfy 30.

Yes. Sapphire, XFX, and Powercolor are the best as far as low end models go.
Powercolor/XFX, and Sapphire are the best as far as high end models go.

Some 3rd party software report wrong temps for Ryzen/Threadripper. For 1st gen Ryzen it reports 20c higher and for Threadripper 27c higher. I don't know about the exact value for 2nd gen Ryzen but it has the same problem

I have the XFX Rx 560 and it preforms great

Ryzen 5 1600 or i5-8400 combo?

2600X is worth the bit extra if you can fit the budget.

Why do you say that?

Depends on the use, for gaming the 8400.
Otherwise, or if you have a deep seated irrational hate of jews, consider the new ryzen

ill go for intel

>$230 for a 1060 3gb is shit. You can get an RX470 4GB for that price currently, or $240.
I couldn't find an RX-anything-comparable on Amazon. If I buy on Amazon, I can use Amazon points to bring the post-tax price of the card down by $220.

And it's a moot point, since I went ahead and bought the PNY card anyway. It's coming Monday.

Because it gets at least 90fps minimum in all but like Arma3. The gaming performance of the Ryzen 2000 series is a heck of a lot better than the 1000 series. It's close enough to the 8400 in gaming that it just doesn't matter. Far more benefits than there are drawbacks.
And you get the better platform, non-dead chipset of Intel, StoreMi, etc.

But if you're just comparing the 1600 and 8400, 1600 is for multithreaded/productivity use and 8400 is for gaming.

Newegg doesn't have taxoutside of CA. If you're in CA, I'm sorry.
>I went ahead and bought the PNY card anyway
Condolences.

All I play is csgo so games like Arma wont matter

>Newegg doesn't have taxoutside of CA. If you're in CA, I'm sorry.
Again, Amazon reward points can't be redeemed for purchases on Newegg, only for Amazon purchases.

If all you play is CSGO, any modern CPU is going to get like 250+ fps fine.

You're still paying the same amount. You could have used them to buy hentai mousepads while getting a better GPU.

whats the best for csgo and multitasking, like streaming and such

>tfw your CPU gets left on the truck on Friday, so you have to wait until Monday for it

Attached: 1516398468169.png (715x168, 14K)

what did you get user

Ryzen 2400G

the same happened to me once, was a RAM stick problem, check it

protip: my mobo manual did help a lot

it can be WAY worse, last month I ordered new mobo to my ryzen build; the shitheads from delivery just left a fucking elephant dance over my mobo or something like that, when it a arrived looked stomped so I didnt accepted shit and called the delivery motherfuckers to give me a new one or get sued

somehow got a fresh, clean and new asrock x370 pro and probably someone lost his job

2600X can stream CSGO well. 2700X would let you stream it at a bit higher quality.
That game is so low requirements that you could even stream it on a 1600 at 1080@30fps or 720@60fps.

I want to build a PC for a variety of reasons but mainly as a media client + games machine. Unfortunately, because of my family, I need to consider usability.

Is there any equivalent to the xbone dashboard on W10? I'd like to be able to access games bought from the W10 store, Steam, or whatever service from a single menu. I'd also like my wife to be able to access Netflix/Kodi from a simple interface?

TLDR. Is there a remote/controller friendly launcher for simpletons who want to use a PC hooked up to a TV like a media box.

Cs go uses 3 cores. You want intel for that game

So one of the fan in my 970 is spinning real slowly, and the other is constantly spinning really fast, no idea why.

Anyway since the temps are only up 3-4 degree, do you think it should hold me until end of this year for the new Nvidia GPUs?

What do you guys do with the stickers that come with you components?

leave them in the box or put them in a drawer and forget about them

represent

Absolute fucking retard with zero knowledge of pc specs who spent a few hours reading up on them today here so any help would be great.
Would like to primarily do video editing (short 1080p videos nothing crazy) as well as playing visual novels and rhythm games so no super graphically intensive gaming going on.
Have a pretty flexible $1000 AUD budget for the pc and a little extra for the monitor and keyboard. Is this doable?

If they're stickers and small enough, on my hydroflask which I left at work. If it's the plastic shit like Noctua gives, I just toss that shit.

Retrying my luck today, could anyone give me some pointers?

Yup. Totally.
What sort of videos are you editing? What software? Hobby, semi-pro, pro?
What's your current hardware?

I just formatted my old piece of shit HP PC and installed windows seven.

Problem is it can't detect my wireless adapters drivers from it or the install disc.

Do I need to get connected via ethernet first and install a fuck ton of updates?

I put them on my case just because I like them on there.

I also put a Confederate battle flag on my case

Just some short film projects with some friends and basic photoshop so just hobby tier. Right now I don't have a pc so not to sure on the software but I assume vegas will be fine. Just want a midrange pc which is relatively futureproofed ideally.

I'd recommend Ryzen 3 2200g or Ryzen 5 2400g for CPU. It has a GPU built in so you don't need to buy a separate one. And the processor still performs great so, if later down the line, you decide you want to play beefier games, the 2200g/2400g can handle it (you can play them with the 2200g/2400g too, albeit at lower resolutions/settings).
Something like this
pcpartpicker.com/list/vmVbKB
Nothing has to be exactly what you see here, but consider similar specs.
With the motherboard, make sure it's Ryzen 2000 ready. Don't buy it unless it's explicitly advertised as so (they are the same model, but they need to have bios updated before they'll work with newer CPUs. Ones fresh from the factory have updated BIOS but older stock might not).
Choose whichever ATX case you think looks cool, and make sure it either comes with fans or get some fans to go along with it. Some cases also come with PSUs.

What kind of person buys 64gb or RAM?

Wow man I'm blown away by the help thank you so much, I was considering going with 16gb of ram would that work with this build? I know DDR4 is the type I should be looking for.

This is my current rig. I'm slowly upgrading some parts because the mobo, cpu and ram are quite good even nowdays.

I was thinking about getting some NZXT shit, namely the H440 v2 and the Kraken X42.

I currently use an ancient Antec 900 which is a piece of shit and always was a shitty meme, and a Coolermaster V8 cooler which doesn't allow me to oc this CPU over 4.2Ghz.

Attached: fuck.png (856x603, 42K)

Yeah, 16gb is fine. Too much ram is better than too little ram unless you're on a budget (you're not).

Help??

Also how much do 1060/1070 cost nowadays

Yeah that was my mindset going into it, ok friend last question is water cooling a meme or is it worth getting? is cooling that important overall?

Water cooling is cool but unnecessary. It's mostly for overclocking. If you're not overclocking then watercooling is 100% meme.

I'd get this, if the BIOS isn't updated you can get it done in a PC shop, try building it first
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/BZBxsZ
If you can spend $30 more get this one
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/jMbkcf/lg-monitor-24mp48hq

No reason for him to go with the expensive 3200mhz RAM. 2400mhz or 2666mhz will work just fine for his purposes. Sure, it's not optimal, but I don't think he'll ever notice the difference playing visual novels.
With 3200mhz over 2400mhz you're looking at an almost $100 premium for ~10% difference with iGPU, less if he ever gets a dGPU.
Kind of the same deal with the b350 vs a320 mobo. b350 is for entry-level overclocking. a320s are just fine for someone who just wants a computer. They can still be high quality (albeit, I ordinarily linked a cheapo mobo).
Also I feel 120gb is a bit small for a SDD. At least 240 so there's plenty of space for the most commonly used apps.

While I'm here I should probably suggest he go with a 2tb or even 3tb hdd. They're hardly more expensive than 1tb, but gives more space for videos he's editing.

That's not true I don't think. Or maybe it's just Amazon that's taxable in Washington now...

Yeah Washington gets taxed by Newegg and Amazon. I fucking hate Washington legislation so much. If you aren't a Seattle basedboy you have literally no say in anything. I still vote but it doesn't really matter.

>buy dual rank ram
>overclock it to 3000mhz
>outperforms 3200mhz single rank by 20%
holy fuck.

Sorry I'm a dumb dumb.
Compared wrong scores.
5% over 3200mhz.

They cost the same, as for the mobo the PC Mate is at a good price, there's more expensive A320 boards. He could save up a little more for a SU800 256GB or a 850 EVO 250GB
au.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=402400,402666,403000,403200&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1

What costs the same?