Arch

There are LITERALLY people on Jow Forums right now NOT using Arch

Attached: arch_linux_logo_by_nintenmario-d6419p8.png (500x500, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Arch_Linux
wiki.archlinux.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=GKdPSGb9f5s
youtube.com/watch?v=4PBqpX0_UOc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

baka Jow Forums
best distro i've ever had, never crashed pretty stable this arch breaks meme needs to stop

Of course there are; they're using Gentoo like proper Jow Forums residents.

I can't compile every package in less than 3 weeks on my semen crusted ThinkPad : (

Yes, and what? I am fine with my bloated OpenSUSE install. Works for me.

who /fedora/ here?

step aside

Attached: windows10.png (230x197, 1K)

>the redhat botnet

Right, I installed Gentoo and never looked back. Arch was fun, though.

Void is where it's at my nigger

What are the pros to Gentoo? Besides >muh useflags
>muh compile for 10 years

checking in

I installed a functional day to day Gentoo on my netbook running off an Atom. Thing could barely handly Xubuntu, and yet it still finished in less than 12 hours. Ran like a dream afterward.

>systemd
DROPPED
use slackware or void like a true gentlemen

Fedora is not bad, but I hate that they are forcing fucking foot as default DE.
So, OpenSUSE masterrace

too new to into arch.
trying manjaro for now

yes unlike you im not a manchild, I use NixOS

I know, I'm using the superior gentoo

It's actually stable

Same here brother, and loving it.

I've been using Mint for years, why should I switch?

You should switch to debian.

dont use memejaro
that shit is more unstable compared to arch package release that just werks
use antergos instead if you cant install arch
Because they don't care about the user's security at all.

Mint is insecure. Might as well use Windows.

>only full system updates are supported
>waiting too long between updates might break everything

Debian is everything that babbies like about Ubuntu with none of the AIDS.

Attached: YEEEEEA finger guns.gif (583x328, 797K)

you're never too new for arch don't listen to the retarded articles and videos. arch was my first distro and it forced me to learn quick.

dwarf fortress packages weren't working so i went back to ubuntu

i love arch its the best thing that happened in my life

>There are LITERALLY people on Jow Forums right now NOT spending all their free time maintaining a meme distro.

Install Fedora, best semi rolling release distro that only rolls every six months. With Arch you can reckt your own shit in days after install.

lmaoing @ all thes systemdlets

>foot as default DE
what? I am using i3 without problems.

if you are a communist SJW lover, Debian is for you. If you don't want to be a faggot, try Manjaro.

yeah, because i'm happy with opensuse, why should i bother to switch?

>i love arch its the best thing that happened in my life
imagine being this guy.

Attached: 1524775512379.jpg (640x640, 71K)

>If you don't want to be a faggot, try Manjaro.
please stop pushing that stale meme

I use manjaro

manj makes it ez

Attached: screenshot.jpg (1366x768, 190K)

How does Debian make me a SJW leftist?

Dear Florian Pritz,

Thank you for bringing to my attention the plight of the young
maiden by the username of lemma to remove the domain lolicuntflaps.me from the official
public list of mirrors Arch Linux maintains as to not offend her friends,
who I assume contribute a lot for the Arch Linux project. I am sure a lot of
time was invested during the investigation for formal complaints, and a lot
of work needed to be done to ensure the professional image of Arch in the
F.L.O.S.S. community could be maintained.
The last thing we want is to offend anyone, let alone longtime user
who's read our mailing list and IRC logs be scared of what a server or
distro is named for, instead of what the code instructs a machine to do. So
I respect the decision to inform me before any action was taken to remedy
the situation in a prompt manner. Because of this respect, I have a question
I would like answered if you could be so kind to ponder for me:

What does it take to remove all forms of free speech, before it doesn't
matter to anyone at all?

Please, do ponder that. Take your time. Don't worry about me, and the ISP
I'm building in Portugal to maintain Free Software projects, and users with
the same kind of principle. Heed no attention to the time I dedicated to not
only host the servers at the ISP, but the expenses on my behalf to maintain
them even against some of the most demanding of jobs, like working for the
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. Please don't worry about
_me_, and the valuable time it took me find a representative to formally
reply on my behalf as professionally as possible (I have autism, my response
would have been incoherent if not for the professional help). Worry about
the users that will be eventually be banned because their thoughts offended
someone they do not know. For them alone will judge how a distro is seen.

My only hope, if possible, would be if lemma could contact me instead, and
asked why the domain exists in the first place, instead of demand that it be
removed from a list of alternative mirrors she could have gotten the same
software from. Plenty of other mirrors could be _offensive_ to anyone else,
but mines had to be the one to offend someone the most.

So with that hope in mind, I ask one favor, even if my domain should get
barred from arch forever:

Could you keep a list of alternative domains not deemed safe for work, but
still mirrors for Arch?

Imagine if others were to host Arch, let's say on an OpenNic domain, or an
onion address, would those get deemed Not Safe Work too?
Maybe I'll register CIAloves2.divideandconqu.er to make it more palatable.

Have a pleasurable understanding,
Alucard

For me it's Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, the superior operating system

this, also take every advantage of arch and amplify it, fix any disadvantage, and you have gentoo.

>void of maintainers

Attached: 1522712807223.png (900x1042, 90K)

AAAAAAH MY EYES
how can you bear it
cool pic, but terrible for a wallpaper
if that's what kde looks like nowadays I'm never touching it
how can you have the floating scrollbar with the transparent terminal
that icon theme is disgusting

this is not a personal attack, but I find your lack of taste disturbing

i lov Arch frens

Attached: 1526105302799.gif (840x488, 511K)

Void doesn't need a million maintainers because it tracks upstream closely.

They're a case study on the bus factor though.

what are you trying to prove, sõyfriend?

Attached: Screenshot_20180513_050635.png (1584x1402, 208K)

But...... Arch is really stable? So what other "advantage" is there

Yeah, those filthy plebs.

Attached: 1495755919824.png (2283x2387, 376K)

nice

Arch doesn't have package testing like gentoo/debian etc do
Arch basically pushes out everything that compiles

I hate Arch because of its community of stuck up faggots. Gentoo and FreeBSD are also text installs, but you don't see me hating on them.

Attached: test.jpg (1000x922, 60K)

Attached: rer.jpg (1024x768, 398K)

why would anyone use arch while archlabs is there? Do you enjoy wasting your time on setting everything up and ricing instead of actually working on your PCs?

>Arch doesn't have package testing like gentoo/debian etc do
>Arch basically pushes out everything that compiles

What a load of bullshit, Arch has both a staging (only for developer) and a testing repo which packages go through.

This is the reason why Arch, while being fast to update to the newest upstream, is still stable, which in turn is why it has so many users, fast updates + stability = win.

I use fedora because i want to use my time to do something productive, not constantly editing config files and breaking/fixing things.

That's the problem with Arch Based distro, when they are preconfigured for you, you don't have absolutely clue where the problem is in case you have one. I was using Archlabs like for 3 weeks and suddenly in an update it started giving me errors and couldn't update because some config files that archlabs included was conflicting with the update, so pacman cancelled the update every time I tried. That's pretty much the case with manjaro too, random errors or freezes out of nowhere when updating and you have no clue why, when you installed it by hand you know where the shit is and troubleshooting is straightforward the most of times in case any problem is presented, have seen people lasting several years with their Arch installs and other failings every month when the preconfigured ones.

Came here to post this

is there a way to configure arch to only do the updates when it's 100% GUARANTEED NOT TO BREAK YOUR SHIT RANDOMLY? Like have it only update to guaranteed stable releases that have been thoroughly tested?

I second this.
I had used Ubuntu for like a week, then it broke, so I tried arch. That was like 2 years ago, and I still use that arch install

>I use fedora because i want to use my time to do something productive
>Posts on Jow Forums
Stop lying on the internet user.

I am on windows 10, unironically, as I know not much about technology.
What I do know is that there is obviously a lot of meme-spouting going on here, so, I ask of you, for a small moment to be semi-compromising.
As a newfag, what should I take and why is Arch" considered "better"?
Thanks if you care to answer, I'd really be interested in finally breaking away from Wondon't because I have had my bad experiences.
I am inexperienced but the prospect of being able to install only exactly what I need seems nice to me, but I am scared I'll fug up my pc if I try going the Arch route.
Plus I heard it uses tons of commands (that I won't know of) to install it properly.
And I heard it breaks easily.
I am currently reading the wiki, but what is the difference inbetween ubuntu and gentoo?

Excuse my new-ness.

Also I had a pretty bad virus infection and my computer is acting weird.
The lesson I am supposed to have learned from this is probably to download into a virtual box and then scan it while it is in there?
I digress.
I know this is not a support board and any reply I get would be on goodwill and I am probably being annoying for "pollutiing" with my request and question;
but what do I do if my license-sticker on the PC says I have windows 8.1 all the while in reality win 10 is running currently?
Initially I just wanted to reset, but now I don't know how to deal with it anymore...
Should I make a clean install medium on a flash drive and use win 8.1 in the options, and then upgrade the system (at least the MS support site tells me that it's still free in this configuration),
or should I pick win 10 in the creation options for the restoration medium right off the bat?
I really need help... windows explorer is lagging even.

But I guess you are pretty experienced, right?
So I'd probably maneuver myself into a conundrum that you haven't even heard of or passed by.

For the majority of your post, read more. This links will point you in the right direction:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Arch_Linux
wiki.archlinux.org/
If there is something that you don't really know the outcome, or you don't know how it will look like in real usage, search for reviews or YouTube (Hooktube) videos so you get an idea.

>I am inexperienced but the prospect of being able to install only exactly what I need seems nice to me, but I am scared I'll fug up my pc if I try going the Arch route.
Your PC won't break from installing a new OS. If you are insecure, follow as said in the first link and try first in a virtual machine like VirtualBox.

Forget about Windows unless you play videogames and you aren't thinking on desintoxicating. When you install Arch some things may not work as expected so prepare to search for it in your search engine.

And btw lurk more.

Thank you, I will try this.
The onlr problem is the lag I am getting, I can barely post this comment, I think the viruses are still there, so I think I have to reset windows to get back in working order and then test GNU/Linux.

Okay, it's just that I need a solution to get the PC back in working order.
Is making a fresh install medium for my 8.1 pc that has been upgraded to 10 supposed to be done with 8.1 or 10?
Is the upgrade free again if I have to use 8.1?
I have to at least get the PC back in owrking order in the time between.

>but I guess you are pretty experienced
Nah, I google all my problems
And those rare issues that nobody has heard of are pretty tough, but they force you to become familiar

I'd use arch if my job didn't require lots of proprietary software that only runs on windows/mac.

how many of you fags have jobs?

I am using archlabs and its fucking amazing!

Okay, I'll try to somehow get my Wondows back into working order ant then I'll just try Arch as its idea of simplicity seems nice to me.
Do you have any input on creating a restoration medium for win 8.1 Pc's that have been upgraded to 10?
Do I need to make a medium for 8.1 or 10?
If I need to make it for 8.1, will the upgrade still be free?
I read that the digital license is there and then it's supposed to remain free, but I'm scared shitless I'll end up with no pc, this one's the only one I have.

But thanks for your reply, user.

Is archlabs a branch of Arch?

When you install a fresh OS, all viruses will be gone.

I do need to run MSSQL for my job and I still do it in Linux. Even if it wasn't available in Linux I would run it via Docker.

Sell me on this please.

>is there a way to configure arch to only do the updates when it's 100% GUARANTEED NOT TO BREAK YOUR SHIT RANDOMLY?

There is no such thing in any distro, however pretty much every distro (including Arch) have packages go through a testing repo before it hits the rest of the end users. That said there is obviously no guarantee that the testers will find every bug.

>Like have it only update to guaranteed stable releases that have been thoroughly tested?

No, what you want is a LTS (long term support) distro, Debian would be my suggestion.

Arch is bleeding edge, as soon as a new upstream version is released, the maintainers will compile and push the package out to testers, and when they stop reporting bugs for a while they will release the package for the rest of the users.

> your pc eon't break from installing a new OS.
Except that PCs often do break from installing unstable crap. Recent case was Ubuntu, which destroyed many people's BIOS chips. Arch is a lot riskier because is mutating every day

>When you install a fresh OS, all viruses will be gone.
This is what I was hoping, so thanks for the reassurance.
Can't hide in a city if one blows it up, kek.
But:
>when
Yes, I'm not sure how to.
I have a problem with not knowing whether to make the installation medium for win8.1 or win 10.
My pc has a win8.1 sticker on it, but is running win10.
Is the upgrade still free if I have to use 8.1?

Wait, so not even Ubuntu will give me a sort of assurance it won't literally break the hardware?
Are BIOS chips replaceable?
Man, I really don't know what to do, and at this rate I don't feel safe logging into any service either.

>he doesn't use linux on the job

the ironic is that Manjaro turned into a better newfriend distro than Ubuntu. And even more stable.

this

if you're not confident with yourself just try first installing it in a virtual machine, so you're sure you won't break anything yet.

I mean, yes, the dude did it in 10 minutes:
youtube.com/watch?v=GKdPSGb9f5s

But without understanding what is happening there, I am likely to fuck it up, I can see myself already having problems with even establishing the internet connection, as I have no cable and the wifi network is password-protected (of course).

Arch is a pretty good distro, yeah you can break it easily if you do things you shouldn't or without previous knowledge on the subject trying to rice the shit out of it. If your learning curve is above the average you can perfectly install Arch Linux by hand on your first attempt, the wiki and documentation is everywhere, and honestly the hardest part of the installation is making the partitions, formating them in the correct filesystem and mounting them, that's all the difficult part. If these statements sounds intimidating to you, I suggest trying an easy to install distro beforehand, so you get to know the basics of a GNU/Linux OS, you can do pretty much the same on any distro, but some people prefer Arch because the package manager, the barebones installation and the rolling release model, maybe Arch is not what are you looking for and installing Ubuntu will satisfy your needs better and be done with it, no distro is better than other, they just have different purposes and that's what makes "Linux" and interesting world to explore.

yea, you install Manjaro with the unstable branch, as it is arch stable but with a few more days of testing

>making the partitions, formating them in the correct filesystem and mounting them
Hm, that seems to be what is done in the first part of the 10min video I posted.
Here a dude made a longer video on it:
youtube.com/watch?v=4PBqpX0_UOc
I mean, I did make a little network with raspberry PIs once, and there I had to do some mounting and partitioning as well.
I guess all I really need is the commands from that 10 minute video and a little modification of the parameters.

Thanks you very much for your reply, user.
I hope I can however get windows running properly again so I don't have to rush into Linux now and run into knives because of it.
Bu again, thanks!
I'll try it eventually for sure.

Oh, wait!
I still have an old raspberry PI model B rev 2 laying around.
Can I experiment with linux and arch on that, or will it be useless for training how to do it on a real pc?

Attached: 1525409037156.png (650x456, 380K)

this, it's fucking great

but over the past year I've taken a liking to Gentoo, what a great distro.

Attached: arch_gentoo.jpg (627x627, 40K)

it'll work a-okay
it'll just be slower than a vm

just switched to this a couple of weeks. Installing is a little more effort. But its paying off. I am a gnome cuck and still not different from Ubuntu in appearance and behavior. I don't get annoyed by updates/upgrades of packages.

And I have all the same technicalities, so I can safely pracitce there and hava an almost identical process on a real desktop?

That'd be awesome and remove my weariness!
All I'd be screwing up is a 20$ pc.

never tried gentoo installation. Is it really that difficult?

Portage patches.

>guy with no face snowboarding at extremely fast speed

arch is honestly the best desktop binary distro if you don't care about systemd
coming from a gentoo user

used it for more than a year, honestly getting very tired of finding that i have to install packages and follow the wiki every time i want to something. Oh you want to do a presentation? Guess you have to rapidly follow this guide faggot. Packages for printers, packages for filesystems, packages for spellchecking etc and often i dont even know im lacking features. Gonna move over to Kubuntu i think.

Its fun to learn the insides and tinker but it gets obnoxious.

>honestly getting very tired of finding that i have to install packages and follow the wiki every time i want to something
>used it for more than a year
haha you probably haven't used gnu/linux in general for more than a year
and if you have, you've probably been dual booting with winshit anyway
>Its fun to learn the insides and tinker but it gets
>"""the insides"""
the "insides" of what exactly?

Attached: 1483409804816.jpg (600x582, 209K)

I’m using mint because it just werks

>the "insides" of what exactly?
you probably haven't used gnu/linux in general for more than a year if you dont know this

pls tell me