Can someone tell me if it's worth using a soldering iron to solder 18650 batteries together so that it has an output of...

Can someone tell me if it's worth using a soldering iron to solder 18650 batteries together so that it has an output of 16A at 110/120v? It's just to test things out, a prototype so it's not final. I don't want to invest in a spot welder unless I really know it works so yeah. Thankie!

Attached: received_434182717019700.jpg (750x570, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vetco.net/products/4-x-18650-battery-holder-w-leads/vet-29181
power-calculation.com/battery-storage-calculator.php
lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh (Pink) UK.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'd suggest using holders so you can swap out individual batteries if one fails.

These look cheap: vetco.net/products/4-x-18650-battery-holder-w-leads/vet-29181

I will need a lot of batteries since I need a capacity of around 0.6kWh im confused though as for how many batteries in series and in paralel I need. I need the output to be of 32Amps, so yeah. Output of 32Amps, capacity of 0.6kWh, inpu5 of 110-120V. Since most 18650 is usually 3.7V and has a rough capacity of 2600mAh, how much in series and in paralel do I need?

What the fuck do you need a hundred plus volts at 16 amps DC for, and why can't you use something like a generator for it?
how many batteries are you even planning on soldering together? Quick calculation shows it would be 33 battteries (stacked side by side) to hit 100 volts. Each battery probably can't do 16 amps continuously

Something along those lines actually. I am not sure about the voltage, but the output HAS to be at 30Amps and capacity of roughly 0.4-0.6kWh. For a project of mine lol

Attached: Screenshot_20180513-010232_Samsung Internet.jpg (1440x2960, 1.45M)

achmed is trying to make a lith ion bomb

bet you it's an ebike.

Not 100% but along those lines.
im arab so maybe

Attached: FB_IMG_1526120661304.jpg (674x1078, 96K)

Samsung 30q
40series 3paralol
120 volts
45 amps
1.08kwh

That doesn't add up though?
40*3.6V = 144V

24v is the devils cut.

Me
I just used
power-calculation.com/battery-storage-calculator.php

Try other batteries with better capacity like the new 20700s

I just did 3v. Not that im saying it applies here but voltage sags under load. I know most lithium start at 4.2 but whatever. Its better to play it safe and have some overhead imo. Plus most components can handle a little extra voltage but not undervoltage afaik

>>using holders
>>with 24-ish gauge wire
>>for 16A
>>making something that will overheat and melt close to LI-ION batteries
Don't use holders.
Make sure you use ~9 ga wire, and practice a lot with soldering batteries until you get good enough to make a pack.
Keep in mind the solder joint will only theoretically permit perfect conduction - in practice it is best to de-rate the wire in case the solder joint isn't perfect (hence 9 ga recc.)
I would suggest making a 110V DC power supply from wall power first, and testing your contraption thoroughly before trying to make a battery pack to power it. That way you don't have to avoid the 50 ways you can fuck up and kill yourself or damage your / someone else's property.

Also forgot to mention... It's going to be hard to solder that thick wire without overheating the battery. Hence the spotwelder.
Good luck OP, don't die in a fire please. Also make sure you share your results - I am sure someone will find it inspiring.

Lots of replies. Been watching videos in the mean time and I think with a 48V 30Amps 14s BMS I will be gucci. I just need to calculate for the kWh capacity but I will manage. Thanks for all the help and explanation!

I used hakko soldering iron to solder at 4S 18650 pack and it was easy pz.

Just use lots of flux , maybe sandpaper the contact and use a very hot iron. I cant imagine doing 100 batteries though.

Big project so yeah. Eventually a business idea so.

We'll just make sure that the discharge rate of the battery in the discharge rate of the system are in line.
With the samsung 30q example i listed above, it will get hot, maybe too hot. The cells are rated for a 15a constant discharge but if you look on
lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh (Pink) UK.html

Youll see they warm up at even 10a discharge

Perhaps a arduino to control the whole thing?

Actually, wouldn't it be safer to discharge at 16A? I can probably make do with a 0.3kWh capacity so yeah. Some batteries like the Samsung 30Q can discharge at 15A so with proper cooling it shouldn't be an issue.

Lil update guys. Would it be possible to use 18650 batteries to a 12v to 110v/220v inverter? Then connect the 30A output to the wall plug on the inverter. Like, would it be safe at all?