Paper is better

This would probably be an unpopular opinion here, but I think that physical paper, as a technology, is vastly superior to anything electronical.

It is the perfect example of "do one thing and do it well".

You just pick up a book and it works. That's it. You open a book and read it from cover to cover. You don't need to charge a battery. You don't need to plug it to your computer to get a book, and you don't have to convert the book in order to read it.

Instead of reflecting light, it absorbs it. It is far easier to read a book on low-light conditions than an eReader (of course, if there is no light at all, the retroilluminated eReader wins), and it feels far more natural. No matter how good, an e-ink screen that reflects light back into your eyes is not only harder in the eyes, but more difficult for concentration.

The brain absorbs information far better on paper.

And that's why this computer science major has a room full of manuals.

Attached: 6a00e0099229e8883301b8d2341ceb970c-500wi.jpg (500x331, 195K)

ok

Paper is better.
t. dude who writes manuals and stuff

As a loyal employee of the paper industry I support your goals

I genuinely learn nothing from digital media, if I'm actually serious about a subject i need physical.

I think he has a room full of materials cause the pic looks like it's from the 70s and he was already an old fuck at that point.

It's because when you read from paper your brain associated all sorts of other tangential information with it to make it easier to recall, such as the place on the page, where your fingers are (which leads to knowing the place in the book), etc.

It's the same as why writing your notes by hand aids in memorisation over typing it, because you have to take it on board and repurpose it and then have a tactile response (writing each letter and word precisely) that also aids in learning.

Books are space inefficient and comparitively costly to update and distribute compared to digital media.

Those computer science books are a great example of information that needs regular updating.

>You just pick up a book and it works.
You left out the part where you first have to buy the book/pick it up a library, costing you time and money.

So does the computer and the electricity to run it (and the internet connection costs more on top to actually get the data).

>The brain absorbs information far better on paper.

Attached: 14c.jpg (207x253, 17K)

Paper, pencil, pen, whiteboard and whiteboard markers are the ultimate communication technologies.

>And that's why this computer science major has a room full of manuals.

Most of which became completely useless within five years.
Good thing all the trees and freshwater wasted on the now useless manuals weren't all that important, I mean it's not like we're running short on OH WAIT...

technically paper reflects all wavelengths of light, that's why it's white.

What kind of brainlet argument is that? A computer and an internet connection are things most people would have anyway, regardless of whether they choose to read physical or digital books. The only additional cost associated with pirating books is the few extra bucks/year worth of electricity.

It's not the paper, but the tactile experience that aids in retention of information.

If we're talking about piracy then just steal paper books, then you could even sell them on.

This thread has convinced me what shall I get Laser vs Ink printer?

Is there any kind that is refillable and works on linux?

>what's a matte screen

Stealing paper books is an actual crime, and it would be just as much if not more hassle than buying them.

>Stealing paper books is an actual crime
So's piracy you chump.

> instead of reflecting light, it absorbs it
I really don't think you understand what you are saying.

> the brain absorbs information far better on paper

says who.

About the books vs. tablets/ereaders thing: books have advantages, but they are inupdatable, use a lot of space, and cannot adapt the content to the reader. They are also clunky to navigate. Shit technology.

>So's piracy you chump.
Name one person who was sentenced for downloading from a direct download site.

nope, pirating a book would be like borrowing a book from library, make an exact copy of it, then return it. No stealing. Since you are that much of a brainlet to not understand it, I guess paper is not good for your learning anyways.

K
now go suck your yourself off somewhere else

Sounds like your stealing the contents to me.

mfw I did not find what I needed in muh provincial library or university library. You can say that when you live in a native english speaking area since you got a shitton of info. Even online you often do not find what you want in most eurolanguages. What is the point of importing a fuckton of books? Would starting an English library even werk? So many questions

Bleached paper is shit and degrades too quickly. Books are expensive. I got a lot of stuff I want to learn, and if I can avoid paying thousands of dollars for this stuff I fucking will. I do actually buy some books because they are that good, but I ain't doing that shit for every fucking book I come across.

>dundler mifflin internet defense force in full damage control

wtf are you talking about kek

It's also higher definition and easier to input analog data on. Handwriting on a digitizer is a horrible experience.

>he doesn't know about wacom

>Instead of reflecting light, it absorbs it.
t. Gashak, Disciple of Slaanesh, posting from the dark abyss of the chaos

t. Kindle IDF

Some or all of that may be true, but I can store a million books on a a hard drive in less space than a physical book, and that's all it takes to make physical books irrelevant.

But why would you want to do that? It's funny to see people saying "look at my Kindle, I can put a gazzillion books on it!". Books are for reading, how can you expect to read a million books?

Why not both? books are nice because you can write your notes on them and you can quickly grab one and flip through the pages
kindles are nice too because they are more comfortable to hold during longer reading sessions and they store a lot of books in a small space
pdfs are good too, because for some books you really want that digital experience but kindles are too small

>books are for reading
good one, make me kek

steal = take away from its owner
pirate = make a copy and share with everyone else

If you have basic education level I am pretty sure you can understand the difference. On a side note, you are implying I do it, when in my post I just stated the difference. While this attitude of accusing based solely on high interpretation of facts is lackluster and ignorant at best no, I don't. A spotify membership along with netflix subscription is included in my internet plan, thus I don't really need to pirate any content I'd like to use.