/ag/ & /am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Mother's Day Edition - Did you forget? Well aren't you just a piece of work?

Attached: thanks for coming over to listen to my CD collection Miss Hnnng.jpg (600x780, 336K)

Other urls found in this thread:

emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-300
ebay.com/itm/NAD-2600A-Power-Amplifier-Monitor-Series-Stereo-150W-CH-Works-Perfectly/222961565465
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=76
smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=95
ebay.com/itm/Behringer-B212D-Eurolive-12-Active-PA-Speaker-System/222976537045
ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MINT-CONDITION-PIONEER-CS-G303-120W-3-WAY-SPEAKER-SYSTEM-FLOOR-SPEAKERS/202306770266
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thoughtful Mother's Day gift ideas:

This, and a pair of Dynaudio speakers.

Attached: thoughtful-mothers-day-gifts-scentbird-717x512.png (717x512, 334K)

Attached: 1520529086-sonos-one-smart-speaker-1519420798.jpg (750x750, 69K)

haha

Attached: DSC_0416.jpg (1000x662, 127K)

>Mother's Day Edition - Did you forget?
thank you for reminding me my man

Attached: thumbs up smile.jpg (467x460, 19K)

I have a couple of these. They're really nice. I was reluctant because smart speakers seemed like an incredibly stupid idea, but I'm warming up to the idea every time I tell it to turn the lights on when I get home, and every time I remember that it turns the lights off when I leave the geofenced area I defined (yeah, yeah, surveillance state, whatever).

Also, the speaker quality seems to be the best with the lone exception of the Homepod, which is both crazy expensive and crazy limited in terms of service options. So your mom is more likely to have a good experience with the Sonos.

Anyway, you did good, I think she'll like it.

uh, just some flowers, soap, and a mark levinson amp

Attached: woposkd.jpg (700x467, 64K)

ahah

Attached: DSC_0410.jpg (1000x662, 125K)

any good 320kps streaming sites

that are free, i mean

Are those the new Diablos?

Thanks for the reminder, OP.

I didn't get my mum anything, so, just going to call her. I'm a shitty son.

Attached: snowkarver-hobbit2-1.jpg (1673x1195, 229K)

I have nothing to backup my claim, but, is this a good design? I mean the tweeter is spaced back for time alignment I imagine, but wouldn't it reflect off the enclosure that far back? And could a giant woofer like that blend well with that tiny tweeter?

Attached: 150087427013.jpg (462x500, 39K)

I was looking at Wharfedale Diamond 220, are they good for the price?

What would be the cheapest way to reasonably power them? The idea being I buy something cheap now and then upgrade a few months down the line.

so I bought a decent set of speakers for my laptop. what else I can do to improve the audio without being a audiophile retard? a dac? a sound card?

It probably sounds like shit. It's a niche system for those who like the "analog" sound. Tubes and full-range drivers in horns.
Wharfedale tends to be a safe bet. Just buy a cheap second-hand amplifier.
What kind of speakers?

Attached: #rektified.webm (766x694, 1.86M)

>What kind of speakers?

edifier r1600tiii, don't bully

yeah I'm looking at second-hand amps right now but half of the shit for sale is literally fucking antiques and I don't know enough about this stuff to know which are the good ones.

I had some decent experiences with chink shit in the past, anything I can get off ali to last me through few months-a year?

it's wide-range unit
tweeter only cover range over 10K

What's your budget? If you are really planning on upgrading three months down the line just save your money for the three months rather than buy something that you'll only get three months usage out of.

I've been recommending emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-300 for bookshelves lately. I have their DAC and a friend has some of their amps, they are also popular on the av forums, their service and warranty are very good.

A lot of people like to buy the vintage amps and stuff but honestly I've never seen much of a point. They are old, no warranty, and often aren't technically as good as a well designed new one. I mean something like ebay.com/itm/NAD-2600A-Power-Amplifier-Monitor-Series-Stereo-150W-CH-Works-Perfectly/222961565465 is fine but it's still 200 bucks so for 70 more (after you include shipping to where I live in the US) you can get new shit with warranty that has less chance of having an issue.

Well, at least you called.

Attached: Its okay Dear.jpg (468x666, 67K)

Better speakers. 99.9% of the time, it's the speakers that are the weakest link, amps and DACs (even computer soundxards) are transparent.

This user knows what's up.

alright, thanks user

That tweeter isn't time aligned. So much for the acoustical axis.
And no, the directivity of the low end cannot be matched up to the tweeter like that.

Better speakers.
The only real issue sensible DACs have is with interference and noise floor. Same for amplifiers, but add limited power as well.

>Did you forget?
yeah, but my mom is dead so....

The Emotiva is a bit pricy to begin with, and it's also sold at something like 175% of the base price here.

I've been looking around, and what about something like SMSL AD-18? It's a bit more than what I intended to initially pay, but I can swing it, and it seems nice and versatile.

I own an SMSL dac/amp and I'm very happy with it. Good price, excellent build quality, performs marginally better than equivalent priced branded products.

Hello there, I would like to get to the next level but I am a bit in a blind spot as I am limited by the fact that I have a cinema theater and I am using a PC.

This is my gear and I think it is totally wasted on me, so any answer to my questions would be hugely appreciated, I'll try not to be such a worthless human and follow what you say.

I also have a sennheiser 650, again wasted on me.

My current major problem is reducing noise of the subwoofer which is disturbingly high, even at 10% volume I'd hear it loud.

Also my amp at 60% starts making noise even if everything is turned off.

My speakers cables are too long and I was thinking of shortening them if it is any help, I don't know, does it help? They are 7m and I could go for 1.5 or 2 m easily.

Any answer is really appreciated

Attached: WhatAmImissing.png (3496x1092, 2.32M)

>continue
I forgot to say that the console connector of the subwoofer often just doesn't work well and when I try to plug the sub in it makes a electrical noise if I don't do it fast. If I plug or unplug fast, then there is no problem.
But it feels so bad.

Ever think of moving?

Attached: 1442975655961.jpg (413x319, 70K)

Every day, but not because of the prices.

You should be able to lower the level of the LFE output on your receiver. Otherwise there should be a knob on the back, often labelled "Gain" or "Volume" where you can control the output there.

If the noise is a pretty low hum then you probably have the culprit correct and you have a ground loop. You can buy an isolator and see if that fixes it. First try to make sure the computer, subwoofer and all the other electronics are connected to the same circuit. A lot of times with HTPC people have a PC connected to some outlet across the room that is on another circuit and has a different potential, causing a ground loop when connected to the amp.

Poland isn't a nice place to live? Where would you go?

What is that logitech device?

Same circuit = same power strip?

If you are not talking about electricity
2 speakers and sub are connected to amp and
the amp to the PC.

There is only my circuit, my amp.

Also there is to say that my sub woofer has a amp inside of it.

LOGITECH Speaker System Z906

oh Poland is still pretty decent right now but unless people get their heads out of their asses and vote we're heading into catholic sharia law territory fast. Poles are also extremely "fuck you I got mine" about a lot of things, and common good is more and more often abandoned to make way for private interests. Watching my city get uglier and less livable with each passing year because the city government is in the pocket of commercial developers really stings.

But that's hardly /ag/ topic.

>LFE output
I looked it up, checked my sub and it doesn't have any.

It is a BUZZ like when there is electricity kind of sound.

I don't know what to do

Attached: crying.jpg (1280x720, 91K)

look at this dude... wait till you see the...

oh nonononono...

Attached: yPX7tAAWglR4CQwROy04Lx8-QjzLR7WPR0ivcMVUFHo.jpg (960x781, 123K)

The sound is so rich and deep!

Attached: 16K_headphones.jpg (1362x768, 62K)

Is there a Chinese offbrand wifi speaker that sounds decent enough? Need one for my garage. Just needs to be loud enough to hear over power tools.

Same sockets are same circuit?

Attached: sockets.png (767x561, 240K)

Yeah. Sometimes if you have enough potential difference from plug to plug it causes the noise. It should be a low kinda buzz through the subwoofer.

Is it high pitched or very deep? How do you have the subwoofer connected? RCA into the subwoofer and then RCA outs from the subwoofer you your speakers?

Yes. Here is the sound you would hear, or similar to this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

I am a bit sleepy I'll check the thread tomorrow.

I informed myself better and tried a little around amp and sub.
My sub is powered and it has an amp inside, maybe that's the cause.

Because, even if the sub is down and it is connected to the amp the noise is unbearable and the quality diminishes.

I plugged my sub on the "recording" part of the amp.

I have no idea what is happening with my sub.
But it's unrelated to the circuit, it's way more terrible.

Might be time for a new subwoofer. The amp itself sounds like it is going bad.

Sleep tight.

Attached: 1471381446895.jpg (636x900, 326K)

okay so I guess I'm going to grab a pair of these:
wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=76
and this:
smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=95

Does that seem OK? Anything I need to know when buying cables? I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Attached: wharfedale-diamond-220-black_2.jpg (1023x850, 146K)

>When buying cables
14 or 16 gauge copper wire is all you need. Unless you already have cables wire. Find tutorials on how to strip speaker wire on youtube, takes five minutes.

Those are 4.1ohm minimum impedence speakers with 86dB/w sensitivity, not exactly easy to drive, but nearfield you should be okay if that amp is really doing what it says it does. I'm not too excited about your amp choice though, personally. Are you the guy that is in Poland and limited on options?

What kind of music do you listen to? Are you getting a sub also?

Cables just get some that are decently shielded. Monoprice and Amazon Basics all work.

I've been looking for portable speakers to use for my home gym, and I came across these new $87. Thought it looked nice since I could also use it for my TV in my room.
Are these any good or can I find something better for around the same price? Are those JBL speakers any good?

Attached: 1526228792690.png (750x1334, 297K)

>Soundbar and sub
Define portable. Also soundbars are generally awful.

>presumably five digits of audio equipment
>in a room with a tiled floor and nothing on the walls or in front of the windows, creating tons of reverb

Something like this, but I'm open to bookshelf speakers if they wound sound better for the same price.

Attached: 318967.jpg (700x459, 53K)

Get some cheap bookshelf speakers.

I have a 2.0 set now and I find the sub-bass kind of lacking (I used 2.1 for years)

will I just "get used" to it?

There's nothing wrong with a hard floor, as you tend to be used to it, but the side walls and ceiling are an issue.
Before that, the speaker design is horrible.

This turned my shitty $2 earplugs into audiophile quality and now I can't stop crying. Send help pls.

Attached: v4w.png (1042x711, 41K)

What are some good ones for around $100?

Are these any good?

Attached: A268059D-529F-4813-87B0-97330955478E.jpg (750x540, 176K)

That budget I'd be looking on ebay and craigslist for local pickup stuff. Your dad or someone have some old giant speakers?

To me a gym system has to rock a bit. Something like this would work ebay.com/itm/Behringer-B212D-Eurolive-12-Active-PA-Speaker-System/222976537045

Not a great sounding PA speaker but, perfect for jamming during a workout.

Stuff like this for local pickup:
ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MINT-CONDITION-PIONEER-CS-G303-120W-3-WAY-SPEAKER-SYSTEM-FLOOR-SPEAKERS/202306770266
...but find something cheaper.

Yeah that'll work, it just won't really have a lot of output or bass which I personally like for working out.

>if that amp is really doing what it says it does.
reviews seem good
>I'm not too excited about your amp choice though, personally. Are you the guy that is in Poland and limited on options?
yeah
>What kind of music do you listen to? Are you getting a sub also?
Various stuff, I guess I don't listen to jazz and classical or metal I listen to only once in a blue moon but otherwise a little bit of everything. Not planning on a sub.

Same thoughts... Jesus.

Are you able to get the Monitor Audio Bronze 2? That has a bit more extension and I believe the same pricerange. Without a subwoofer when you listen to more bass heavy music you might feel it is a bit light. All bookshelves will be, but, something ported might work better if you don't plan on getting a subwoofer.

>I believe the same pricerange
It's literally twice as expensive here, I'd pay more for one than I'd be paying for a pair of the diamonds.

Oh and also, what do you mean by ported? As far as I understand the diamonds are also ported, the port is just on the bottom.

Then go for the Diamonds, it isn't worth double for the extra extension imo.

Ah, didn't know the Diamonds were ported also. They don't go as deep as the MAs. I don't think it is a huge issue though.

Porting increases the efficiency (output) of the bottom frequencies the speaker can produce, they mount a tube or vent in the speaker that is tuned carefully with the drivers. It's a bit of a tradeoff, because it negatively effects the transient response of the speaker at the bottom which translates to less detail (smearing of the notes). A well designed speaker will still have nice bass though, even ported.

why is there no product number

interesting

Attached: 337a09ed0398a9174a1edc28e2d22c5f.jpg (800x853, 84K)

When do you guys usually change out your pebbles?

Attached: brilliantpebbles.jpg (510x342, 28K)

usually when my logitech Advanced Technology tweeters start to wear out

Attached: Advanced Technology solid passive tweeters by Logitech.jpg (1234x823, 284K)

omg...

Attached: Orpheus.webm (1280x720, 2.99M)

here's the original ad from CES 2013

Attached: Advanced-Technology-solid-passive-tweeters-by-Logitech.jpg (1234x823, 444K)

Can't believe how they are able to get away with shit like that.

which is better for a small bedroom, kef q150 or q350?

Attached: audio-general.jpg (1234x779, 318K)

Go for the Q350 if the usual constraints (space, price) don't bother you.

You can, but it sucks.
Would you be willing to reserve money for a subwoofer? The US market has more affordable options in that department.

context pls.

Attached: 1526248873890.png (915x1623, 141K)

Crystals to "purify" the audio.

We all know that AC going through wires cause excite the magnetic field around the wires, and especially around the plugs and sockets, which suffer from minimal shielding. The crystals provide a serene and calm space where the agitated electromagnetic molecules can sit down, have a rest and calm down as they're ejected from the pigh powered amplifier port, thus causing less interference with the rest of the equipment and reducing general EMF stress on humans as well.

that makes complete sense, thank you.

Attached: 1525657910461.jpg (748x1024, 82K)

Whelp, time to post Dynaudio!

Attached: qt dynaudio.jpg (2336x3504, 1.17M)

Attached: 1333153-dynaudio-c1-maple-finish-stands-black-finish.jpg (824x1100, 232K)

Attached: ad2d0f0d4f308b561dfd1d98ac78e9a0--audiophile-dj.jpg (736x648, 65K)

Press F to pay respects

Attached: tyll.png (1268x668, 1.25M)

How do I improve the sound quality coming from a laptop or smartphone?

Are those Dragonfly DACs any good? Also wondering if Topping is a good brand

>Dragonfly
No, there has been bad measurements and issues posted about them. For a smartphone you can get a portable DAC like the ones that Fiio makes. Or for a laptop, a USB Dac, ranging from 30 dollars onward. You want to improve the sound quality you
>Get a DAC
>Get better source files

DACs aren't that risky an investment, then? I am thinking about just going with Chinese brands

No, not at all. Their purpose is simple, convert digital audio to analog transparently.

Love Dynaudio but always found the Contours kinda ugly.

I need a way to play my music CDs on my computer. Should I get an Internal or external CD/DVD reader? Is there even any difference in regards to the sound quality? I also may want to rip some CDs.

Getting a new phone soon, want to move my music there. I have 64 gigs on there and my FLAC library is 17G, but I'm not looking to waste space.
Would OGG or MP3 give me smaller filesizes with transparent audio? Which quality settings do I use?

comfy and aesthetic

Picked up a ad18 from smsl to he lp replace my tv soundbar and provide comfy couch listening. I want to spend 200-300 for a pair of speakers to go with it. would like it to be at least comparable to my jbl 305s. Any advice?

Ive currently got some Logitech speakers and ive been thinking about upgrading.

thinking about getting the Polk Audio Signature S15's. are they worth it? would i notice a huge difference?

What bookshelf speakers do you recommend in the $200 range?

and also what kind of amp would i pair with something like the Polk S15's? preferably something small since im going to be placing it on my desk most likely.

Attached: 919vkTH1SjL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1124, 349K)

SMSL and Topping and trustworthy.

bump lol

$20 internal cd read/write

something that hisses

qAcoustics

topping, no