/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1526031594368.png (514x240, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#wpa_supplicant
twitter.com/BryanLunduke/status/995442571114508289
wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#stretch).
linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-nvidia-drivers-on-debian-9-stretch-linux
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
0pointer.net/blog/ip-accounting-and-access-lists-with-systemd.html
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32974
firewalld.org/documentation/howto/add-a-service.html
firewalld.org/documentation/howto/open-a-port-or-service.html
pastebin.com/a5XLpaUM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shir breaks too easily

Need help

Are any of the distros better with vidya than the others? Or will they pretty much all work the same?

When I install Debian stable, change the sources to testing, full upgrade and reboot, I get a black terminal with login.

Why is it and how do I fix it?

Please help debian:

Connect: network is unrechable

All im doing is ping 8.8.8.8

My wreless card shows up and works during install but when i do iwconfig i get pic related

Enp5s0 no wireless extensions
Lo no wireless extensions

Attached: IMG_20180513_173807.jpg (4580x1224, 790K)

Did you install a de? Try

Su
Apt-get install cinnamon

Or whatever you want to use

They all can or run the same software.

You misunderstood. I picked KDE during install, debian stable launched and everything worked.
Only after switching to testing it broke.

meant for

Looks like you just need to associate it with your network my dude. what distro/de?

Debian no de.

I tried

ip link set wlp10s0 up

Which changed tx-power=0 dbm to 5dbm but still nothing. Does it not save wireless configurations from the setup?

It needs an IP address too. Maybe dhclient wlp10s0

you'll probably want something with recent versions of mesa and graphics drivers (i.e. not debian stable)

>touhou hostname/username
very original

Try following the guide to setting up wpa_supplicant
wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#wpa_supplicant

Last time i made used wireless on a headless machine wpa_supplicant was all i needed to set up.

How would I find out which distros support the latest drivers?

Why do you think that turning your WLAN device is enough to get an internet connection? How do you expect it to know to which network to connect and how to authenticate if it's locked?

>anime hostname and username
Not that I expected anything else.

How do you rename all files containg a "-" to " - "?

Why is Fedora consistently using 20-30% more RAM than Ubuntu? What are they doing differently/messing up? Is it bloat?

Also is there some benefit to it? Or does it even matter?

As a brainlet and after testing both for a couple of days the only significant difference between a Fedora spin and the corresponding Ubuntu flavor seems to be that Fedora uses more RAM.

Someone please explain.

Anyone working on animation and/or web design here? how do you deal with not having adobe products?

Maybe the WM?

Different "swappiness"?
do a
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness on fedora, see what the setting it

I meant DE

are both of them using the same DE?

Run exactly the same software on both and you'll see that they "use" the same amount of RAM.

That's not an easy thing to do though

Where should i mount /boot partition when installing gentoo dualboot with windows in uefi?

Cant install it, no internet. Also i dont plan for this to be headless forever

Tried running it, took a while and did nothing

I assumed that was done during setup. A few other distros ive used saved it.

You'll move on from random aggression one day

That's not something you're supposed to do. It's like testing if water is wet. It's common knowledge. If the extra "used" RAM bothers you, disable the extra programs that are running.

Yes I am using the same desktop environments. I compared Fedora KDE with Kubuntu and Fedora LXDE with Lubuntu.

I did not run anything other than Firefox, text editors and the console.
Fedora LXDE after startup: 267MiB
Fedora LXDE w/ FF (one tab): 572MiB
Lubuntu after startup: 180MiB
Lubuntu w/ FF (one tab): 478MiB

I did not record it for KDE, but the results were similar, Kubuntu using around 500 after startup, while Fedora KDE used 500.

Could it be related to my hardware being utilized differently, or is it the base install that makes a difference (amount of pre-installed software, possibly things running in the background that I missed)?

>(one tab)
What tab? There's a difference if you load a website with 10 autoplaying videos, 100 scripts running the background mining cryptocurrencies and having Stallman's website open. You also had other things cached in your RAM and you most likely didn't even do an objective test (not that it matters).

>Could it be related to my hardware being utilized differently
No, it's the same software, same kernel, same everything. Look at the background processes and programs that are running.

It's a pretty pointless comparison since different distros just don't run exactly the same software.

The system runs a lot of things on its own and it's possible Fedora just runs more things by default.

Ok i found a temp work around. For whatever reason its wpa secured networks i cant connect to so i set up an open network

Why does Firefox occasionally spike up to 100% CPU usage on one core for ~20 seconds?

Attached: hmm.png (165x226, 62K)

Because one of your shitty websites is running shitty CPU intensive tasks.

Yes, should've mentioned what I was opening, in both cases it was the same Firefox homepage.

>Look at the background processes
>it's possible Fedora just runs more things by default
Okay, will check that out and see what's going on. Will take screenshots of everything next time.

Thanks.

Might it have something to do with the StyleChan/OneeChan userscript?

Usually its youtube that does it. Its deliberated coded to run like shit on non chromium browswrs

Compressing and transmitting telemetry - your browsing history etc.

Install IceCat.

>Goys, I know you like watching my show and I support freeze peach, but if you are not with Israel, I will block you for being racist and anti-semetic.
twitter.com/BryanLunduke/status/995442571114508289

Attached: lunduke.jpg (620x368, 44K)

Browsing history isn't even telemetry.

>lying on the internet for (You)s
You're the worst.

what?

Attached: freepalestine.png (632x768, 141K)

You* break it

In the folder with the files:
rename 's/-/ - /g' *
protip: run rename -n 's/-/ - /g' * first to see what it would change

anyone?

>Everyone taking part in this conversation: Say 5 nice things about, and state that you like, the Jewish people. Then we can continue. Otherwise I will assume racist, anti-Jewish intent.

Ohhk

>Cant install it, no internet
If you don't have WPA supplicant you can't connect to a WPA network.
If you don't have internet how are you posting?

Thank you!

recommend starting from testing iso next time

Linux is obsolete.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-10-01-49-11.png (1280x720, 383K)

Ok, cool story, meanwhile half the world runs linux on their phones, linux desktop is a thing, servers, etc, and idk what minix is or does, sorry.

What the fuck was he on!?

MINIX runs on phones, desktops, servers, basically every machine with an Intel chip. Its even more popular than NT.

I kind of agree. Ive always been a fan of microkernels but we simply dont have a decent open source one yet. A fair bit more secure as well

Phones with intel chips? Come on

>twitter.com/BryanLunduke/status/995442571114508289
Bryan Lunduke is fucked in the head and has been since LAS days, he's overly emotional and just straight up weird. He would not show up for the show, or if he was there, act like a 12 yo who got grounded from his pokemon cards. The show went to shit because of him.
"Anti-zionism is the belief that the Jewish people do not deserve a home where they won't be murdered. That is, most clearly, racist in the worst way." Huh ok and why do you care, are you just clinging onto platforms for something to bitch about? Also aren't the Israelis literally murdering Palestinians on a daily basis after forcing them out of their homes? This guy is a faggot.

Don't forget to add that it's the most popular proprietary kernel in the world, thanks to its BSD license.

Ok, nice /g logic saying that makes Linux obsolete. Neither is obsolete apparently, definitely not Linux as we have a whole board right here dedicated at least partially to Linux discussion. I'm using Linux rn.

man please theres always so many issues.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
nvidia-driver : PreDepends: nvidia-installer-cleanup but it is not installable
PreDepends: nvidia-legacy-check (>= 343) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: nvidia-driver-libs (= 390.48-2~bpo9+2) but it is not going to be installed or
nvidia-driver-libs-nonglvnd (= 390.48-2~bpo9+2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: nvidia-driver-bin (= 390.48-2~bpo9+2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia (= 390.48-2~bpo9+2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: nvidia-vdpau-driver (= 390.48-2~bpo9+2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: nvidia-alternative (= 390.48-2~bpo9+2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: nvidia-kernel-dkms (= 390.48-2~bpo9+2) but it is not going to be installed or
nvidia-kernel-390.48
Depends: nvidia-support but it is not installable
Recommends: nvidia-settings (>= 390) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: nvidia-persistenced but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

this is just following debians install guide for 390 (wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#stretch). my gpus compatible and all

What's your apt/sources.list

Did you install something out of repositories?

>nvidia
There's your problem.

That's retarded, the problem is with apt.

i added the required repos for this to work. desu every guide on the debian wikis given me issues. found a fix on a separate guide linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-nvidia-drivers-on-debian-9-stretch-linux

Ok, you got it then? Cool. Yeah those errors can always be worked around, it's just apt complaining about dependency issues. That'll happen if you're adding repos (which I get is convenient sometimes)

It's both, but I also couldn't help myself.

finally did the jump and replaced my arch install with i3 manjaro
its so comfy and everything just werks
im never ever going back

Attached: 2018-05-13-151052_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 150K)

What does this image reference?

rms put an abortion joke or something in the source of gcc I think.
(((Certain people))) try to remove it since forever without success.

It is a joke libc

I made a shell script that launches vim in urxvt like this:
nohup urxvt -e vim "$file" & > /dev/null
When I run something like :! touch test.file from vim, nothing is actually written to the disk. Why is that?

an abortion joke is pretty poor taste honestly

Does anyone here also uses betterlockscreen?
I recently upgraded my packages (I've seen ImageMagick upgraded too). Ever since then, the transparent rectangle on the bottom-left isn't being created on lockscreen anymore.

Attached: 2018-05-13-222101_1366x748_scrot.png (765x748, 686K)

It's not an abortion joke. Can't you read. It's an anti censorship joke. Also it's from the glibc manual. Also nobody "tried to remove it forever“. It's a recent event.

>basically every machine with an Intel chip
wishful thinking
in reality only Skylake and later archs have MINIX running the management engine

Also you are retarded. Also there is an abortion joke somewhere I might have messed up. Also this kinda reminds me of that. Also fuck off.

Only because it's you, Satan.

Attached: 1525888118627.png (749x450, 162K)

How to avoid typing startx every time?

Attached: 1526213724953.png (604x888, 485K)

Never mind, apparently I was in the wrong folder.

use a graphic login manager. I recommend slim, it's quite light. You can always strg+alt+F1 to get to tty.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login

Thank you

This is how I set up my networks on debian
wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

>strg
Gott im Himmel!

You could use systemd's IP accounting.
0pointer.net/blog/ip-accounting-and-access-lists-with-systemd.html

From looking at the OS picker guide, I was considering Dream Studio / Ubuntu Studio.
I'd love to get into music production & video editing. Is there a better option for this? Are the included tools worth going for Dream Studio over just something like Elementary and downloading them separately?
Also, as for games (I suppose this was a given, since I'm coming from Windows), on Steam when it shows Linux, would the games work on any distro? With games that don't have a Linux version on Steam, like Witcher 3 for example, would I be able to run them on Steam through something line WINE? If so, would it show up that I was playing them on Steam, or not?

>Are the included tools worth going for Dream Studio over just something like Elementary and downloading them separately?
I'd go with Ubuntu if I were you.
>would the games work on any distro?
They should.
>would I be able to run them on Steam through something line WINE?
Depends on the game, Witcher 3 isn't perfect it looks like.
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32974

Fedora also uses SELinux, which increases memory usage.

Anyone know why my ports aren't opening in Fedora 28?
This is the output, what am I doing wrong? I just want transmission-qt to have an open port.
[user@localhost ~]$ sudo firewall-cmd --zone=public --list-all
public (active)
target: default
icmp-block-inversion: no
interfaces: wlo1
sources:
services: ssh mdns dhcpv6-client transmission-client
ports: 51413/udp 51413/tcp
protocols:
masquerade: no
forward-ports:
source-ports:
icmp-blocks:
rich rules:

Can you split ncmpcpp horizontally instead of vertically?

Attached: thinking_earth_chan_discord_emote_by_1greg7_yt-dbxxis5.png (193x197, 7K)

Are you sure that's the correct zone for your interface? I see wlo1 is there, but maybe you're trying to do this over ethernet.

Also, if you passed the --permanent option, it won't actually active the rule right now. You have to add it again without the option or reload the firewall manually (I forgot the command which does that).

>Are you sure that's the correct zone for your interface?
This is what I'm not sure about, there are a few different zones in there already, one is FedoraWorkstation. I've never had to do this before, pretty much just learning it all from scratch by googling shit.
firewalld.org/documentation/howto/add-a-service.html
firewalld.org/documentation/howto/open-a-port-or-service.html

I have done a complete-reload on the firewall-cmd
Gimme a sec, I'm gonna try and get all the commands I've tried already from the terminal history.

pastebin.com/a5XLpaUM
This is pretty much all I've tried. I tried replicating the steps in the GUI tool also.
I don't know if transmission-qt is different from the transmission-client (I don't have the gtk version installed currently, I removed it after trying it out first because the UI was GTK on KDE and it looked weird), or if I'm in the correct zone.
Might try the GTK version again actually, see if I can narrow this down. The GTK version of Transmission works fine on Ubuntu 16.04 for me, i.e. the port is opened correctly.

Same port (51413) shows closed even on Transmission GTK. Dunno wtf is up with Fedora, might just go back to Ubuntu and call it a day.

Maybe the "transmission-client" firewall service is badly written, or maybe there's a conflict with the ports you manually opened.
Try removing the transmission-client service and keep just the ports. (Again complete-reload if you pass the --permanent option.)

Also make sure you disable SELinux because that can also fuck with things. setenforce 0

Good idea, let me give it a try.

Won't let me remove it, and I'm guessing the service *is* fucked.
sudo firewall-cmd --permanent --delete-service=transmission-client

Error: BUILTIN_SERVICE: 'transmission-client' is built-in service

Is there a way can "disable" the gpu or something? I want to leave my pc seeding through the day but i dont see a point of the gpu running (as well as a lot of the rest of the system)