Any SFF enthusiasts here?

Any SFF enthusiasts here?

I present you mini stx. 5x5 (14.5cm?) Yet another format (next to thin itx) that'd be amazing, if only it'd be sold in anywhere the west.

Where do you get your tiny motherboards, Jow Forums?

Attached: stx.jpg (640x360, 47K)

>no full sized PCI
What's the point? Just buy a laptop. At least then it's small form factor is put to better use with the advantage of taking it around without all the peripherals.

>desktop cpu > laptop cpu.
>price.
no full sized PCIe
>what are adapters
This is the next stage of PC building after everyone and their mom learned how to build "gaming battle stations".

>what are adapters
Something that completely defeats the point if this form factor. Next thing you'll tell me this case requires an external power brick

I would definitely go for something like that if it was with AM4 socket, so I could put in R5 2400G.

Got the Asrock Mini, only problem I have with it is that I had to use shilltel CPU. Would have worked great with an i3 8300 but that shit is way to expensive for entry quadcore.

>This is the next stage of PC building after everyone and their mom learned how to build "gaming battle stations".
what, building what is effectively the PC equivalent to the trashcan mac with even shittier cooling and less expandability while acting like you’re somehow better than a fortnite kiddo who can at least expand their system if needed?

the next “stage” of PC building is growing up and buying a proper OEM workstation or portable instead of pinching pennies on stupid shit like this

asrock is pretty much the only one who does them

Attached: 1508027819818.jpg (3840x2160, 1.28M)

Full desktop CPU, that's the point.
Good luck getting a 7700k laptop for cheap.
These make good HTPC's that you can eventually salvage the parts for other builds.

>Any SFF enthusiasts here?
What do small mobos have to do with science fiction and fantasy?

kys

>What's the point?
Cooling. Lower fan noise. Reliability. Easy of upgrading and repairs. USB port count. Most laptops really aren't made to run 24/7.

s/Easy of/Ease of/

mITX is still pretty small, and you can fit a single-slot half height GPU in a lot of tiny cases.
SFX is good too but there aren't any on the market.

Mobile CPU can manage basic video decoding for a HTPC. If you're already a gamer looking for a couch setup, you likely have a half decent desktop already. You can just stream from that to your HTPC perfectly acceptably on a modern mobile CPU. The board OP is posting has no PCIe without an adaptor anyways. The laptop is designed to be slim and easy to tuck away and MUCH more power efficient.
I've tried getting into small form factors myself. It was just full of headaches and compromises. Finding a case especially. Unless you wanted to use an older nvidia card, you'll need a full sized PSU for your graphics card. There's next to no cases that are slim enough to hide under the TV.
>These make good HTPC's that you can eventually salvage the parts for other builds.
Consumerism at it's finest.
Cooling might be the only thing you're right about. Most laptops now run pretty silent because chipsets run cooler overall due to lower power consumption. If you're willing to put this much time and effort into going SFF, you wont cheap out on a laptop that doesn't have half decent airflow. I thought USB C would be able to add additional USB ports via adaptor. Even my laptop has more USB ports than visible on OPs board.

I have something similar to that, a ZBOX BI325. It fucking sucks. The problem is the 6W N3160. Every video service will drop frames. The only use I've found for it is as a seedbox since it's so quiet.

I bought a cheapo dinosaur FM1 mini-itx for an HTPC and it's light years better in performance. Those extra watts to the cpu make a big difference.

I do wish someone would make an affordable itx board with a normal pcie slot instead of the 16x one. I want 10gbe damn it, I don't give a shit about gpus and games.

It's cute. It could be useful for servers if they just slap a lot of SATA connectors on it seeing it doesn't have a PCIe or full sized DIMMs to deal with, but other than that.

Anyone have this little shitter?

I think I'm gonna buy it and throw 2400G and 32GB of ram in it.

Attached: serveimage(3).jpg (1080x720, 48K)

Letting the thread die after this. Jow Forums isn't the right place.

You are talking about a NUC made out of "laptop" parts. The thread was supposed to be about small custom built computers.

Do you realize a mitx is exactly the same thing as matx or atx but without additional (mostly never used) pcie slots, leds, gaming branding and stuff like that?
>full sized PSU
Do you know there are various sizes of psus?
>Consumerism at it's finest
The led gaming "rig" which takes half of your bedroom in your parents house isn't making you a better programmer or designer.

>building what is effectively the PC equivalent to the trashcan mac
What's stopping you from putting an i7 in that?
>instead of pinching pennies
These cost more than your monthly allowance mr "I had 18th bday yesterday".
Also >expandability
I know you are underage or dumb but can you, yourself, guess why?

I was interested in building an SFF build but you can't compete with the Zotac mini gaming PC's because they build the GPU right into the motherboard. Now that the new nuc's with the kaby lake g chips are out that's just another prebuilt option that is near impossible to compete with.
The only thing that would really make sense to me is building something very high end that those products can't compete with. So 8700k, ddr4 4233, 1080ti with custom loop and delid to keep the cpu at 5.1ghz and gpu pegged at 2151mhz.
That would be cool I guess.

Yes. Full size compared to SFX PSU. SFX don't support a large enough wattage for a half decent HTPC. Let's face it. If you're serious enough to build a dedicated computer for the couch, you're likely gaming on it.
>leds, gaming branding and stuff like that
Those exist on MITX boards aswell you retard. I don't see how you suddenly think a smaller motherboard will mean they wont shove that shit down your throat. Nobody is making you buy one with gaudy branding or LEDs either.
I'm also aware that upgrading in a full tower for something as mundane as adding another storage drive is a lot easier in a larger case than a smaller one.
>The led gaming "rig" which takes half of your bedroom in your parents house isn't making you a better programmer or designer.
What the fuck are you on about? I'm not talking about programing or designing I'm trying to talk about just how impractical SFF are for a desktop.

Attached: pc-san3.jpg (3264x2448, 1.14M)

Building a new ITX system soon, got my Dan Case and my Asetek 545LC delivered last month.

Want to build a VFIO enabled system, use the integrated GPU for the Linux host and switch the external to the VM with paasthrough. Kinda undecided since I saw Anandtech report rumors about an 8-core coffee lake coming soon, I need the extra cores for sufficient headroom for something like that.

>Jow Forums isn't the right place.
This is increasing true for all but a narrow range of subjects.

>what are adapters
You must be an Apple engineer huh

Dan Case mini-ITX user here. The case for mini-ITX is getting weaker now that we have 6-core mobile CPU and gtx 1060 to gtx 1080 in laptops easily. It's also possible to get 4 sodimms in some 17" laptops.

>SFX don't support a large enough wattage for a half decent HTPC
There are 600W models man what the fuck