amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Performance-Internal-SP128GBSS3A55S25/dp/B075H5ST84
adata.com/upload/downloadfile/Datasheet_SU800_EN_20180503.pdf
sandisk.com/home/ssd/ssd-plus
mp3support.sandisk.com/downloads/qsg/ultraplus-ssd-datasheet.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nice thread OP

Almost everything,

>there's a 4gb stick inside

It's not worth it when it'll fail on you in two months. It's cheap for a reason.

I got an 860 pro instead of an evo precisely because I'm paranoid, and now prices have dropped significantly since I bought it
feel free to laugh at me

Hahahahhahahahahahaha

I bought a 250GB SSD for $71 three years ago and it still works fine so I wouldn't worry OP.
Aren't all SSD chipsets made by like 4 companies anyway and all other brands are just OEMs?

Prices dropped a lot on Amazon recently. Got a Kingston 120gb ssd for 30€ instead of like 60€
Lets see if the ssd meme is worth it

SP drives seem to work just fine from what I've heard.
>SP S56 user here (since January)

>$288 per terabyte
>cheap

Attached: Burst.png (702x439, 80K)

I was looking at cheapo SSD's just yesterday and I think you should spend a few more dollars on the ADATA brand 120gb SSD. I trust ADATA, I have some ram made by them and it works great. I've never heard of "Silicon Power" before.

Attached: 237.jpg (640x633, 38K)

Bought a cheap Adata SSD recently. Works great, we'll see if it lasts. I'd rather buy chink than American or Samsung.

>Lets see if the ssd meme is worth it
>2000+18
>Not using an ssd

quit shilling your shitcoin. burst and its devs are garbage

I licked a negro once

Depends on the age and whether or not they've adopted the new improvements. Otherwise, one of the biggest things that could go wrong is shrinkage. SSDs used to steadily shrink over time with every write. They still do, but at a vastly lower rate.

what did he taste like

Attached: 20170307_153715.jpg (720x1280, 145K)

>be me buy cheap kingston ssd
>fails in 4 months
>buy intel ssd to replace it
>lasts over 3 years without fail and still works fine even though i fucked the sata port on it

This

Silicon Power drives are fine, they've made budget SSDs for a long time

It's not some XiangwheiChingChong brand

Bought a few for cheap shit, never had one fail yet unlike some of the others I've had (OCZ)

That said for my actual PCs and shit I use regularly I've always gone with Intel/Samsung drives, or at least unbranded Micron/rebranded Microns (Crucial)

I'm pretty sure these SP drives actually have DRAM caches too unlike TaipeiChingChong drives

I know a thing or two about Silicon Power. Their drives are probably fine. They will probably last years unless you're running it in a server doing massive database writes 24/7. But your luck may vary and that is extremely true for these drives because you quite frankly have no idea what you're getting: It varies a lot. This means you should completely ignore any and all reviews of Silicon Power SSDs. If Toshiba's nand flash is cheap then they will buy a lot of it. If Samsung's prices are lower then they will switch to that. And they do the same with their controllers, two of these drives bought three months apart could have different ones. This doesn't mean their drives are "bad", it's just something to be aware of.

i plan on getting one for a new thinkpad, not something that will have anything super vital or sensitive. $35 and free shipping is too good to pass up

Attached: 1440033981318.jpg (570x487, 45K)

You could buy an SU800 instead for 3-5 bucks more and get something reliable.
Silicon power is not so bad, but not great, still way better than Kingston.

Bought 256gb plextor msata drive years ago for a laptop, still works

I bought a 120GB patriot blaze a couple of years ago for my laptop, for like 50 euros.

works fine

When was the last time there was a bad sad controller? Ocz in like 2012?

was looking at this too, just a newer model and 128gb

amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Performance-Internal-SP128GBSS3A55S25/dp/B075H5ST84

nothing.
just buy it.

It not exactly a bad SSD.
It uses a generic Silicon Motion controller, and discontinued Intel 3D TLC NAND, reason why it is so cheap, still its great.

Speedwise its bad though in comparison to other SSDs, but its still way better than a HDD.

Attached: c54de162-6ee0-4a17-8895-6760e5591094.jpg (1920x1080, 256K)

Also never buy 120GB SSDs, get a 240GB SSD or more.
120GB ones last less and are way slower.

Do you have a source on that? Why would that be? Lower bin NAND?

Less NAND chips which also causes worse wear leveling.
This is a thing in all SSDs.
If you read the specifications you will notice that the 120GB versions are not the same than 240-1TB versions when it comes to R/W speeds.

i own a 240gb version of this but havent used it yet. it was like 50 bucks when i bought it

Example: adata.com/upload/downloadfile/Datasheet_SU800_EN_20180503.pdf

Attached: ADATA SU800 Specifications.png (767x308, 44K)

You should start reading reviews more often than asking Jow Forums

Just bought the 240gb version of that exact drive for $50 dollars. It's solely for games, so if it craps out then who cares. Why spend a lot of money for specs that far exceed its role?

Just get a 250gb samsung evo sata ssd.
It's fast enough, has enough storage for your os, programs + AAA games you're currently playing.

>same drive is $58 Canadian pesos on Amazon.ca

God damn it.

Other examples:
sandisk.com/home/ssd/ssd-plus
mp3support.sandisk.com/downloads/qsg/ultraplus-ssd-datasheet.pdf
And so on.
120GB SSDs are just the cheapest versions possible, look reviews and you will notice how they have problems.

Attached: TurboWrite_575px.png (678x425, 43K)

I've been helping one person out, and they stock up on SP SSDs for quick upgrades (and the person working there claims that they haven't had a single failure with them), and I've noticed that they change a little. Some newer S55 models have warranty seals, which weren't on them before, same thing could be the case with other models.
As for NAND chips, I have no idea, but iirc they use Phision controllers.

Not that cheap.. should be pretty standard these days. Worst thing to look out for is bad controllers

Look for ADATA SU650 for something similar, literally the same SSD parts wise.
Nice for a old laptop, not ideal for a desktop or main computer.

I got a 32gb SSD for $150 long time ago. still runs

$35 for 120 isn't cheap
watch slickdeals

Most cheap SSDs use the same Silicon Motion controller this days.
Its either SM2258xt or SM2258G.

Controller problems stopped being a thing back in 2013, OCZ was the last one that had problems with them, Kingston still has problems with them though.

>3d nand
>550mb read
That's samsung right? I'm sure this one is samsung made nand flash

>TLC

Intel 3D NAND, and remember its UP TO 550MB/s read.

>up to

Attached: 1425289865961.gif (500x500, 1.71M)

You are talking about the old S55 that had a Phison controller and a red green blue stickers with the Micron rebranded NAND?

i bought the 240gb version of this drive, its 2 years old and im using it to post right now along with some gaymin. its fine.

Attached: papagenossam.jpg (480x360, 7K)

My S56 was marketed as having one on one polish site, so I assumed it would be the same for S55.

Yeah they all used to have one, later they switched to SM2258xt and from Micron to Intel 3D NAND which is what you get in OP SSD.
Chinese NAND will be interesting when companies start using it outside china and phones.

Is an 860 Pro really worth getting over the new 870 Evos?

There is no 870 EVO, if you meant 970 EVO depends.
>I want a SSD for OS use, games or programs in general
860 EVO/PRO, you wont see a difference at all by getting a 970 EVO for this things.
>I want a SSD for heavy I/O business/enterprise/server applications
970 EVO.

Typo, sorry. I was considering the Pro for reliability rather then I/O. Is the difference significant there?

Not reliability but durability.
Still both will last more than 8 years implying you use them daily for heavy use.
SSDs are not that weak or unreliable anymore.

The ones that still have problems are the low end SSDs and Chink SSDs, also every single Kingston SSD outside HyperX series.

Thanks for your input user, I’ll stick with the Evo.

Both are great when it comes to durability, what changes between them is that EVO uses TLC NAND and PRO uses MLC NAND, which lasts way more.

Reported

My ocz from 2011 had the sandforce and died a few yeats later, lost evrything. I would need to solder on a new controller if I could find one.