Copying 700gb file to external using terminal in linux

>copying 700gb file to external using terminal in linux
Its been 3 hours all i see in the terminal is my cursor
linux fucking sucks

Attached: 1526076467981.png (646x595, 304K)

thats because you're a retard

just do this

pv my_big_file > foo/my_big_file

There are ways to copy things visually in Linux terminals. Look at Midnight Commander.

Should have used rsync

whenever i have a file that's bigger than 50gb i split it in 5gb chunks. that has happened maybe once or twice. btw op - what file could possibly take that much space?

rsync it you queer

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518235149313.png (495x418, 287K)

Next time remember -v, or use rsync:
rsync --info=progress2 source dest
or even pv:
pv source > dest

In the meantime you can switch to a new ttyl with ctrl+alt+F#
You can check the usage on the directory it is being copied to with du, for a status estimate.

His virtual disk that's filled with Cat Pictures I bet

>Cat Pictures

naa man its filled with Cheese Pizza

Also OP, use pv your/CheesePizza > externalHDD/CheesePizza

it will have a progress bar.
>pic related

Attached: OPisaFAGwithhisCheesePizzaPICS.png (720x345, 42K)

>he didnt request status updates
If you think your having fun now, try moving 100gb of important shit to a folder which you don't have write access too.
protip: it only errors out after it has deleted the original.

>Cat Pictures
>C at
>P ictures
but thanks for repeating the joke

not the user you’re replying to but no one refers to CP as “cat pictures”, so I also thought you were literally referring to actual pictures of cats. You are the one who missed the joke, lurk moar

I'm not the one who made the original Cat Pictures reply but for God's sake, he even capitalized the C and the P, the joke is pretty obvious IMO, especially in the context. And Cat Pictures is a lot fresher than the tired Cheese Pizza thing in my opinion

>literally misses the joke and repeats it
>no u missed the joke
??? thanks for trying though

You're retarded. He capitalized it for a reason. It's a word switching, like referring to a basket weaving relay channel or a mongolian cave-paint board

Should have used mc.

>700gb file

Attached: 1504974531993.png (512x512, 283K)

>what is rsync
>what is status=progress (dd)

Attached: 1495994284851.jpg (1000x600, 116K)

dev if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb

Linux is a kernel. It can't copy files.

>using a disk transfer tool to transfer a large file without using a progress showing flag....

Look at the hard drive lights blinking if you need assurance. If the lights stop fuuuuuuuuhg....

what is sendfile()
you have a severe case of frog syndrome