Is there any benefit to light on dark schemes other than looking like haxxors?

Is there any benefit to light on dark schemes other than looking like haxxors?

Attached: hacker.png (786x655, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.aoa.org/light-and-eye-damage&ved=2ahUKEwihsPfMv4PbAhVMU98KHfK-CIYQFjARegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0JWnlm5_0RssWrENxcffQw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's "easier on they eyes" - our ocular system is not designed to be looking at bright things for extended period of time. I don't think there's a real medical case study made on this though, so it's questionable how much of a difference it makes.

There have been medical studies made on this and they've found that dark on light is better for the eye.

>yes there are studies
>doesn't name or link a single one
Why even bother to post

>doesn't even google first
>posts a deprecated assertion plus a generic disclaimer about there being no studies on it
Why even bother?

It's better for OLED screens.

To be honest, neither did the guy he was replying to.

>Is there any benefit to color schemes other than the default?
Fixed it for you and the answer is no
Stop ricing, it always look like shit

Bullshit. The easiest for the eyes is where the overall screen brightness is similar to ambient light of the room. In a dark room that's light on dark, in a bright room its dark on light.

Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis

>muh pseudoscience
Bullcrap
We are not nocturnal animals, we are hunter gatherers that hunt in daylight
Dark on light themes are proper, everything else is a meme

Besides the only way it feels haxxor to use light on dark is because this is what old hackers used in the first terminals because in CRTs it's easier to achieve

Uses less energy if you have an OLED/AMOLED display

less strain on your eyes so you can escape reality a little longer

Ever worked a full day staring at a white screen? You feel square eyed a lot quicker than with a dark theme.

Easier on your eyes (this has been proven, for instance people who have tendencies for eye inflammation have less problems with light on dark), it has also been shown to make it easier to focus.

Also it looks elite.

dark on light makes up most of my fap sessions :)

There are literally studies showing that dark on light is easier on eyes but hey, anecdotal evidence > scientific studies.

*purposefully misinterprets somewhat related cherry picked "studies" to prove his contrarian point*
Why do people on the internet love to do this

Color Combinations and Contrast Reversals on Visual Display Units
Bruce J. Pace, Ph.D.
First Published October 1, 1984

The legibility effects of twenty-four combinations of text and background colors on the performance of a visual search task and an address input task on a visual display unit were studied. Eighteen females and eighteen males were each exposed to eight color combinations conditions in one session of approximately two hours duration. Subjects were allowed to adjust brightness-contrast settings to their preferred levels to give functional measurements of color combination effects. For the search task, the lowest error rate was for black text on a blue background (.0012 errors/character) which was 2.7 times lower than the higher error rates associated with color combinations of magenta on green, green on white, and white on black.

So black on blue seems to be good.

>black on blue
Isnt that the default Jow Forums display. Moot does it again.

higher color range for syntax highlighting is the only reason I can think of
>easier on the eyes
this might be true as well, but in my experience it makes my eyes too relaxed to the point where I don't blink enough and my eyes get dry and red. having bright themes and a bright room is what I find to be best.

>There are literally studies showing that dark on light is easier on eyes but hey, anecdotal evidence > scientific studies.

Sorry user, your own personal preferences is not 'literal studies'. The ACTUAL studies all show that light on dark is better when it comes to screens, better on the eyes, better legibility.

This is why all code editors and practically all professional software default to light on dark these days, shit, even Windows ship with a dark theme so that people who actually work in frong of a computer may do so comfortably.

Only good answer in the thread

Citations to the 'literal studies' have been posted, little user. Meanwhile where are these 'ACTUAL studies'?

It doesn't make my eyes bleed the way a rapidly flashing white light does.

I don't care about your soiboy studies, light themes hurt my fucking eyes so fuck off cunts

I used to use light themes but when I started to use dark themes my eyes felt a lot better. dark themes are superior, don't listen to the light plebs

It's your job to prove your own claims, not his.

Maybe read the thread before chiming in with your worthless opinion.

Literally perfect.

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f6661726d312e737461746963666c69636b722e636f6d2f3336372f32303237303931343231355f303934 (1024x558, 179K)

it burns.

>2 space indentation

Attached: 1525004679684.png (322x291, 96K)

save.eyes(this);

Your display can be a big part of it, since OLED displays use less energy on dark or completely black pixels, but it mostly is about the reduced blue light emitted from dark/red hues, it results in a little less brain stimulation, which can be helpful for people that work in the dark or if your eyes strain or get tired easily.
Same reason blue light filters are sometimes an option.
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.aoa.org/light-and-eye-damage&ved=2ahUKEwihsPfMv4PbAhVMU98KHfK-CIYQFjARegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0JWnlm5_0RssWrENxcffQw
>inb4 jewgle

If you're going outside during the day, do you also find that everything burns your eyes?

>our ocular system is not designed to be looking at bright things for extended period of time
What the fuck. Our ocular system is designed to operate during the day. Where everything is much brighter than your typical computer screen.

the study you mentioned referred to printed media, not bright computer screens.