/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with >previous

Attached: 1427221293801s.jpg (250x166, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater
docs.python.org/3/tutorial/classes.html
bignox.com/blog/how-to-enable-the-high-performance-graphics-card-for-amd-pc-with-2-graphic-cards/
gigabyte.com/br/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-D3H-rev-10#ov
youtube.com/watch?v=KE5UuJK__Ck
stackoverflow.com/a/3143055/2840146
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576026&cm_re=hdd_enclosure-_-17-576-026-_-Product
howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/
geogebra.org/m/AKgHDwS3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well, I'm having trouble explaining how social engineering can circumvent controls in my accounting information systems class. The best I've got is that if training is poorly done, authentication and authorization controls are moot since employees would not be able to recognize a social engineering attack on the phone, but I feel like that explanation is severely lacking.

>inb4 don't ask Jow Forums to do your hw
It's actually a question I got on my review sheet for my final exam and I know it's gonna be on the exam. I'm practically good on everything else but this.

Non pro Ipad or Galaxy tab for drawing?

Attached: ipad.jpg (2880x2160, 414K)

That might be a question meant for drawfags. You can try asking on /co/ or /a/ if you see a thread with drawfags

What is the best way to connect two PCs together to exchange/access files between them?
I've tried to use a USB cable, but it had old drivers and the connection was very unstable.
I can't use LAN cable, because i need LAN ports on both PCs for internet connection.

Should I use 'homegroup' feature in Windows?

Attached: 1526174244278.png (207x243, 7K)

make a shared folder on one of them

Google creating a homegroup, you should be fine, so carry on

Is there actually a away to rename something using command prompt to have special characters in it? Or is it more of a powershell thing?
I wanted to be able to rename something to "Book: The Movie: The Game" for a gay meme.

When you connect a USB cable to a laptop or powerbank a tiny amount of electricity flows through it to see if there is something connected at the end of the USB soo

Can you fully discharge a powerbank/battery by connecting and disconnecting a USB cable?

And what happens to the electricity that was inside the USB cable after it is disconnected?

Attached: DbEUf42W0AEUawx.jpg (236x382, 21K)

object = new Class()
object -> Function()

I'm still a codelet, how do I make this code (written in PHP) in Python?

I guess I'm not getting help.. ;A;

Windows can't into : and ? and / and \ for file names. Unless they changed that in the last 10 years or so.

You're better off making it drain normally through use. You'd probably have to plug and unplug hundreds of times to get the result you want

Just use Linux nibba iirc ext4 filesystems allows special characters

which program can I create a bootable USB drive with in ubuntu?

I'm moving from Olympia to San Antonio in 2 weeks. How do I keep my shit cool during summer? Running the AC 24/7 just sounds like a waste of money.

What is the best kernel for Linux?

the linux kernel is the best kernel for linux

There's a program with a GUI called "Statup Disk Creator" available on Ubuntu it looks like.

A more general way would be to use tools like mkfs and dd from the terminal to format your USB and copy over the contents of the .iso respectively. There are man pages and tutorials online to explain how to use those tools if you wanted to learn how.

Wouldn't be asking this if I hadn't already searched extensively, trawling forums.
I'm looking to move away from using honeyview as my main viewer (uses too much ram)).
I want a viewer that has tabs so I don't clutter my taskbar (windows)
XnView has this functionality but the image rendering is pure trash, especially gifs which are really blocky compared to honeyview.
Any fix for this that anyone knows of please?

Best print program?

Something I can see dimensions with, gonna print out some logos.

Winblows 10

Attached: 04230+243.jpg (820x1100, 84K)

again the guy with the fried laptop, so from what I understand only the motherboard was fried? So I can take out the hard drive and bring it to a repair guy, because the RAM, processor and GPU are still fine?

just to clarify I jammed the power into a usb port

Why the fuck is python such a piece of shit? Why does argparse assert for no apparent fucking reason? This shit sucks.

How do floats/doubles actually work? If you check float.h DBL_MAX you get a ridiculously huge number, but the size of double is usually 64 bits. Is the precision distributed evenly across them, or is there some mathematics magic going on behind the scenes? How expensive are float/double operations in comparison to the usual data types?

Take the drive out and let the repair guy figure out what's broken. It could only be the motherboard, or the motherboard dying could have killed the RAM/CPU as well. You just don't know.

ok, btw it turns on and the power lights work and the disk gets spun, after that nothing, and even holding the power button doesn’t shut it down

>no scroll up or scroll down buttons
>buttons still work, but just look like empty space for the scroll bar
Is this an issue with firefox or my LXDE theme?

Attached: 2018-05-13-084021_186x1079_scrot.png (186x1079, 20K)

So, what the fuck is wrong with Jow Forums? There's always random gibberish characters with different font sizes. Sometimes it shows at the top and sometimes below where the ads are placed.

Long double?
>Is the precision distributed evenly across them, or is there some mathematics magic going on behind the scenes?
I think it's even, if I understand what you're asking. IIRC a quick and dirty way to check the precision on your machine is to do a loop multiplying by .1 over and over until you get to the point where n = n * 0.1.
>How expensive are float/double operations in comparison to the usual data types?
Architecture dependent, consult the manual of whatever processor you're using.

Anyone kind enough to walk me through the steps of succesfully importing some project files into Android Studio.

All this seems beyond me, tried youtube tutorials but they don t seem to fit my scenario...

Streaming this on Twitch:
goo dot gl/AummZ8

Attached: android-studio-logo.png (730x365, 35K)

So, I finally went from windows 7 to windows 8.1, thinking it might be useful to use the gpu acceleration for Illustrator.
It turns out there are no new amd drivers for 8.1, only 7 and 10.
Is win10 still a mess or can it be unmalwared and unbloated?

What's a good guide for learning linux for beginners?

It's fine, just use one of the many scripts available, like this one: github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

Thanks friendoo

Does a trap/interrupt always cause a context switch?

you mean to say distro

distro: GENTOO

read lfs

What sort of music production software does Linux have? I was considering getting into Linux as a hobby, but would also like a reason to stick to using it for more than a hobby. I'd love to drop Windows entirely, but for now I was only thinking of it short-term. Maybe one day I'll upgrade from Win10 desu
I know I won't be amazing at it, but I'd like to at the very least give it a shot.

If I want my next PC to be VR compatible, do I need two graphic cards or a single powerful one is enough?
If I need two, can I add an average one later when I get my headset or do they have to be identical? And is it a pain in the ass to have two different cards?

Generally, a single more powerful one is preferable. Also, most games don't support multi-GPU setups very well.
GTX970+, 1060+, RX470+, R9 380X+ can handle VR, by the way. Depends what you'd be willing to spend.
For if they need to be identical, it depends. AMD Crossfire handles it better I suppose, in that the card can be from the same general family (I forget the term), so something like a HD 7970 & 7950 can Crossfire, but it's as good as the weakest card. SLI from what I recall is that you need the same GPU, but can mix/match brands, so for example an Assus GTX 1080 & Gigabyte 1080 would work.

What's a good cheap chair for working in, for most of the day, that won't give me a bad back or forward neck? I'm sitting on a stool atm.

That's a piece of string question. What kind of VR things will you be running? Games?

A single card will be fine, just make sure it's a good one. A rule of thumb is, if you want to play modern games in VR, you should to be able to run them smoothly at max without VR before.

One.
SLI/VR is counterproductive and never worth it, also no VR game accepts SLI so far.

Just get a GTX 1060 6GB or better and you will be good for VR unless you are trying to use a Vive Pro.

>SLI/VR
SLI/Crossfire*.

in hangouts, I'm not able to scroll more than a page to view older conversations. does this mean I've been blocked?

Galaxy tab are cheaper (old ones are ~ $120) but with time (long time and accidents) they have issues with touch.
So, iPad if you can afford it
You can connect over wifi without port forwarding using programs like Connect2.
Most laptops have inner bluetooth support though a bit slow you can set them up to exchange.
You can also share using a cloud or external device like Raspberry Pi.
>docs.python.org/3/tutorial/classes.html
x = Class()
x.function()

Update your adblock or reinstall it. uBlock origin and uMatrix shouldn't have this issue.
Doesn't the start screen give you options to import/browse for a project?
Audacity? I have heard of Ardour but never used it. For me, it is Fruit Loops.

Will video-editing and video-creating be relevant in 10 years from now?

Is there anything like a debloated firefox fork?
I need something compatible with the current addons but fast and with no pocket/sync faggotry.

In firefox is it possible to set a custom home page and not have its url appear in the search bar? it makes it annoying as hell to search

Wtf is a PCBA?

Should I update the BIOS?

Attached: trrt.png (783x953, 30K)

DIY

When is a process's translation lookaside buffer updated?
Every time a page is translated to its corresponding frame #?

What's a good gallery/image viewer that can hide images? Like making them private and you can only see them with a pass.
I used to use Mi Gallery, bu since I am not using MIUI anymore, I need something to replace it.

What makes an AIFF file larger than a WAV, which in turn is larger than FLAC?
They're all the same album, but the FLAC is ~450MB, WAV is ~650MB, and AIFF is ~900MB.

Ok guys, I have a ThinkPad X201, and I want to buy an ultrabase + monitor, to use when I'm home.
I want an ultrawide monitor. So, do you guys think that the X201 could handle a 2560 x 1080 resolution monitor with it's onboard gpu?
No gaymes, of course. Mainly web + office.

Attached: 1517276140792.gif (360x264, 2M)

hello lads
I switched to ubuntu, installed steam, and none of my library is shown. I have games that are cross os windows/linux and still can't find them. The games pages want me to buy them. Anyway to make it update to my real library?

Attached: 1524970946298.jpg (480x472, 30K)

How can I make my computer detect both on and off board graphic cards?
Right now it only recognizes the off board card (HD7870) and I need both card to enable high performance settings for the NOX android emulator:
bignox.com/blog/how-to-enable-the-high-performance-graphics-card-for-amd-pc-with-2-graphic-cards/

Attached: img.png (804x590, 89K)

How the FUCK do you disable windows 10 auto-updates? I've tried everything it feels like.

I had to reroll today because the most recent update fucked my audio.

You dont

I always thought that sure way was to disable service windows update
then suddenly on my occasional dual boot the windows started to update

If you game I would recommend pirate win 10 enterprise and turn it off in group policies
if you dont game I would recommend pirate win 8.1, install classic shell start menu, and enjoy the best windows currently available

That's what it feels like. I disabled it in admin, but when I go to windows update it says awaiting restart, meaning it will update when I restart won't it?

How does the principle of locality (specifically temporal and spacial) translate into memory access?

Windows 10 LTSB

Do you have CPU compatibility issues?
No?
Then no.

Whenever I press Command+R on my mac I'm presented with a locked screen that won't accept my login password.

I can use the computer just fine and even use it daily but I can't restore it. I've had this computer since I bought it on eBay around a year ago.

Wat do?

So you are saying you want to use the IGPU and the GPU at the same time?
It depends in your motherboard, most cheap and low end motherboards don't allow you to do it.

You only can fully do it in enterprise versions, so install LTSB if you want them gone.

donwload iso of macos and reinstall?

this is my mobo right now
gigabyte.com/br/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-D3H-rev-10#ov

can I enable both igpu and gpu with this motherboard?

Attached: 7297_big[1].jpg (1000x745, 197K)

Look for PEG mode and enable internal graphics in the peripheral section in BIOS.

I want to make 2FA in win7 for fun. I like how Duo works ( youtube.com/watch?v=KE5UuJK__Ck ) but can't figure out how they do that. The application seems to pause or disable winlogon.exe while waiting for the push notification to be confirmed. I can figure out how to run the app on the login screen ( stackoverflow.com/a/3143055/2840146 ) but idk if this will make winlogon wait for 2FA?

Any insight is welcome...

How do I get full speed put of my wireless connection? I have a 100/100 Mb/s connection to my house. Tested over hard wire and I am indeed receiving that speed from my ISP. However on my phone, laptop, or desktop with a good AC1900 pcie adapter, I get around 30-40Mb/s.

I know using wireless pretty much halves your speed, but is there nothing I can do? My router is a Linksys WRT1200AC

The Arandale IGPUs can do a max of 2560x1600 through displayport, so yes it will work.

You could:
- Buy a quality router
- Place APs around the house where signal is weak
- Use high GHz WiFi signals
- Change WiFi channel to a less crowded one

Or you could try punching holes through your walls :^)

block it at the router level. you can't make win10 stop trying to update but you can keep it from actually doing so by either using your router or a third party firewall program to block ms

> (You)
>You could:
>- Buy a quality router
The Linksys WRT1200AC is "quality" isn't it? Unless you're talking like an AC3200 or something.
>- Place APs around the house where signal is weak
Well that's just it. The signal is great. Full 5 bars all around the apartment.
>- Use high GHz WiFi signals
I'm on the 5GHz band. I don't know of any higher
>- Change WiFi channel to a less crowded one
What do you mean? It's only me and my friend on the router and since we work entirely different shifts, it's usually only 1 of us on it at a time.
>Or you could try punching holes through your walls :^)
Apartment. That ain't happening. They already jewed me fory security deposit. Not gonna give them a reason to keep it.

How much does it cost to build your own Raid bay?

If im gonna have a cold offsite back up that is gonna sit on its own for a long time, how should i go about integrity and bit rot?

Why do I have to buy a domain from some registrar company instead of from the registry of the tld directly?

Have you read the Wikipedia page on social engineering? Your question is answered there in-depth.

>RAID bay
How many drives? Might be much cheaper than you think. I've seen a couple external enclosures that can hold 2+ drives. Of course this is if you're referring to software RAID. I hope you're not thinking of using hardware based RAID.

how much data? If we're talking Terabytes worth of shit, get multiple drives and I'd make sure all the stuff you're putting into cold storage is in a lossless format. (.FLAC for music for instance).You also have to ensure the offline disk is kept in a relatively temperature controlled environment. Humidity etc.

If it's only a little bit of shit, look into getting stuff on Blu-ray discs.

8 bays for a RAID 1 would be nice. I don't really know the difference between hardware and software RAID.

software uses the operating system's built in partition tool (Windows) or dedicated RAID software suite like mdadm on Linux. If a drive fails in an array, software has a much better chance of recovery and re-building the array where as hardware fails more often than not. And God forbid the conrtoller itself dies. Good fucking luck recovering your data from the arrays then.

As far as for 8 Drives,you could get like 2 of pic related. Each drive would recognized as an idnependant disk when you plug it in. Then just have Windows or Linux pair them into the types of arrays you want. I'd stay away from RAID 5 persaonlly.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576026&cm_re=hdd_enclosure-_-17-576-026-_-Product

By "change channels" I meant use a channel analyzer (e.g. howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/ ) and find a channel with less interference. It may help idk...

You should consider using a pooling file system instead of RAID.

The screen on my ASUS N550JK turns off every now and again. It will suddenly happen like 5 times a day, then not happen again for several weeks.

It is just the screen, because with an external monitor, nothing is affected. The screen goes black, but if I switch to the external everything works normal.

What could it be, and how can I fix it?

Attached: 1519903341811.jpg (961x1200, 125K)

Thanks lads. I saw pics with two cards when looking at inspiration for a custom case and that worried me.

bad cable maybe? How are you connected to said monitor?

Thanks

Attached: 1510899337018.png (674x910, 961K)

What's the point?

>This is a brief demonstration that an infinite number of right triangles can be formed with a given hypotenuse.
>geogebra.org/m/AKgHDwS3

I keep on hearing about some ryzen 2 coming out, but I thought the stuff that just came out was ryzen 2. Stupid question is as follows; is the 2000 series ryzen stuff ryzen 2 or is there more stuff just over the horizon? Kinda wanna switch from the intel jew but I'm not sure if it's a good time for it.

Remember only through displayport, it wont work with HDMI or VGA.

2000 is ryzen2
but several months ago 2200g and 2400g came out
those are with integrated powerful vega gpu

now few weeks back came out rest of the lineup
so yeah, now you should have no problem gettin X470 mobo and 2700x or 2600x

The external works just fine. It's the monitor on the laptop itself which has the issue.

Often when I switch the screen to external only, and then go back to the "extend" setting, then the main monitor on the laptop begins working again.