I'm going to write an imageboard, guys

I'm going to write an imageboard, guys.
What sort of features should it have? I'll post back again later today once I have something up and running.

Attached: 1524372164387.gif (480x480, 612K)

Thread specific IDs.

enable CP posting

Emoji support
Likes and dislikes

I wish Jow Forums had these

Yeah, definitely. I get the whole total-anonymity thing, but there's no real benefit to being able to false-flag both sides of an argument or whatever. Keeps people intellectually honest, sorta.

>emoji support
Sure, though I think site-wise that's little more than not mangling the Unicode codepoints for the emojis themselves in addition to providing a point-and-click interface on the frontend so you don't have to run and copypaste the glyphs somewhere, but correct me if I'm wrong. Feel like this could get outta hand quick, but who knows, I'll take a stab at it.
>likes and dislikes
Are (Yous) not enough? I guess you could auto-hide something if it got enough dislikes or whatever, but that seems eerily close to reddit for my tastes. I'll keep it in mind though.

Attached: 1525839458737.gif (540x540, 388K)

good idea
shit ideas

what kind of file upload/preview do you want to enable?

that said, OP, if you implement voting/rating, make it so that users can't see the score

Nice bait r*dditfag

Use IPFS for storing uploaded files.

this This THIS

post sorting (by reply count, by your posts, by post length, idk)

websockets/long polling for new posts instead of manual polling

a robust, modern, restful, public api with hooks for push notification support

no autistic bans on vpns

user IDs

>no autistic bans on vpns
>user IDs
Sort of self defeating.

This.
Holy shit it would make everything so much better

upvotes, downvotes. and the ability to buy people Jow Forums pass

not really, i just think IDs could get rid of those "not that guy but here's my opinion" explanations. and no one would be able to pretend to be someone else.

force people to register under their real name

i'll make the logo
really though, give it good themes/a nicer layout. and it needs a sidebar

oh also a view count so you can see how many people are lurking a thread

As in types of files? More or less what this place has already but with webm sound support enabled globally albeit muted by default via the DOM. Or were you talking multiple uploads per post? I hadn't considered that much but it seems to work out well for infinity, so I'll think that one over.
Honestly I still don't see how a like/dislike system would work in the context of imageboards outside of maybe an autohide below a user-configurable threshold or something. I'd need to brainstorm more on this or get more input before going forward.
"""We""" tried that back with the nyaa replacement and it crashed and burned, but if I'm feeling crazy/stupid I may try it for the heck of it. Distributed file storage might be interesting for archival purposes though, I'll give you that. Still, I have no idea how it would work in practice (and I doubt anyone does).
>sorting
Sorting would be trivial, though what purpose would it serve?
>websockets
Yeah, I'm planning on utilizing web workers for push notifications.
>restful public api with hooks
Possibly rate-limited in the unlikely event it gets that popular, but I plan on it nonetheless.
>user IDs
On a per-thread basis, definitely - did you want something beyond that?

Attached: 1524315476382.png (312x233, 19K)

Here's some real advice: remove names and tripcodes altogether, keep people forced user.

Remove trips and names, force thread ID's, no more falseflagging and no more tripfags

But what if you want to become a famous tripfag

Sleep tight spooker

Fuck off to cuckbook

Yeah, I definitely want to make an actually-nice-looking imageboard for once. I think it's possible to make something look nice without requiring a boatload of javascript or something or other.

>remove names
Maybe. I could be convinced of this.
>tripcodes
Bit of a leg to stand on if per-thread IDs were enforced (and I'm almost certain they will), but it might make finding the same person across different threads (even if that's rarely something you absolutely need to do legitimately) impossible. I hate tripfags as much as the next guy though, so I dunno.

>>sorting
>Sorting would be trivial, though what purpose would it serve?
you can see the most best or most controversial posts without scrolling the whole thread if you sort by reply count. might become too reddit-like though.

>>user IDs
>On a per-thread basis, definitely - did you want something beyond that?
no that's what i meant

This. Just have a generated image like on github, that also avoids anime/frog/avatar fagging.

every time you submit a post there is a 50% chance its sent to /dev/null
all uploaded images are reassigned to random posters
all replies are assigned to a random thread

how exactly would that prevent falseflagging?

Force people to register under their real name and to upload a picture of themselves verified via state/country ID. Display this picture on every post the person makes.

>restful
>modern
That’s an oxymoron. Modern means graphql

While I don't think "reddit has it so it's bad!!!!11one" is a valid counter-argument, I think anyone would agree having a like/dislike system would be controversial. As long as there would be no actual silencing/removal of a significantly-disliked post, I would probably be open to it, though. I'd like to see some more arguments for/against it first though.
You guys are pretty cool - I was thinking of having the exact same system. Maybe have something like that one waifu generator for a little extra bit of kick.
Unless you have another separate IP ready to go you'll always have the same ID on all your posts in a thread regardless of when you posted them, so you can't act like you're a separate person since everyone will see your ID.
Not sure if bait but if someone could implement a graphql API I would accept the pull request. I probably won't write it myself since I have no experience doing so though.

Attached: 1524377587157.png (720x406, 144K)

Whoops, missed this. View count is easy enough to write, and I don't see any particular reason not to have it.

but that's a measure against samefagging, not falseflagging

You could make a stupid argument for a side you don't disagree with, but arguing both sides of an argument would no longer be possible, yeah. Good distinction.

unironically this
but have no standard rules found on facebook/twitter

All the boards are organized in a single unified thread, so it can be the most awful imageboard ever. Call it shitchan.

I unironically like that. please OP do this!

How would this help if people shitpost from multiple IPs anyways? Everyone doing this now does it anyways to get past the timeout. (Smartphones with non-static IPs are common you know.)

Nothing that can be done against actually having multiple IPs without registration far as I know, but it prevents someone just screwing around on their computer from easily false-flagging. I'm betting even something as minimal as that would eliminate most of what you see going on.

>graphql
can anyone explain this meme? What's so awesome about it?

Instead of making yet another imageboard, do something isoteric and interesting, like

So an IRC channel?

I could see a sort of meta-board showing all the latest threads working. I'll keep that in mind.

Make ritsu the mascot

Attached: Ritsu_is_literally_perfect.jpg (1280x720, 72K)