Xubuntu/Xfeces is the biggest letdown to Linux DE users in the entire history of Linux

>nothing new to offer
>design is stuck in the 1990s
>still crashes when plugging in USB sticks despite being considered "stable"
>basic apps like the terminal still don't let you do basic things like copy and paste with keyboard shortcuts
>suite of settings applications is still missing vital tools like disk management, display color management
>overall feature set is so barren you might as well use Lubuntu

I'm glad people are moving to Ubuntu MATE, KDE and Budgie.

Xfeces has done absolutely nothing for DE users for the past decade.

Attached: xubuntu-logo_1_1_1_5_2_1.png (500x500, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/516303/tiling-windows-horizontally-and-vertically-under-lubuntu-lxde-openbox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just install Lumina, user.

looks like xfeces

>>still crashes when plugging in USB sticks despite being considered "stable"
kek, how bad are you to get this?

>>design is stuck in the 1990s
>what's customization
never had this problem
>>basic apps like the terminal still don't let you do basic things like copy and paste with keyboard shortcuts
works for me
>>suite of settings applications is still missing vital tools like disk management, display color management
then install them
>>overall feature set is so barren you might as well use Lubuntu
>the feature set is so barren you might as well use a DE with even less features guys xD

>I'm glad people are moving to Ubuntu MATE
MATE is hardly any better if you don't like XFCE
>KDE
the only valid suggestion
>and Budgie.
bloat

The problem isn't that its design is stuck in the 90s, it's that its system requirements for that are firmly planted in 2016.

no customization can fix the ugly

>people whine about Linux being too different than Windows
>people whine about Linux being too stagnant and always being the same
>people whine about Linux having too old packages
>people whine about Linux being to unstable

So you want a system that is easy to use, but also complex, always changes but it's stable , doesn't need user interaction for configuration but at the same time is highly customizable.

what the fuck do you want then?

I guess he wants macOS

>I'm glad people are moving to Ubuntu MATE, KDE and Budgie.

Those 3 will be BTFO by LXQt.

>always changes but it's stable

hasn't changed for over a decade, but still not 100% stable.

this is where your narrative falls apart.

MATE has done more in 6 years than Xfeces has done in 22.

>basic apps like the terminal still don't let you do basic things like copy and paste with keyboard shortcuts
ctrl shift c you fucking idiot

>ctrl shift c

ok now change it to ctrl C like everybody else has it.

>those things that happens to nobody else
>true story bro

stop posting

Attached: Picard-facepalm.jpg (480x316, 27K)

>I'm in denial because I need this shitty DE to work on my mom's laptop

did you change it yet? what's that? you can't?

Guess I'm right and you're wrong.

>mfw Dropbox icon bug hasn't been solved for literally years
What a piece of shit Xfce and in general Linux is.

Attached: 1515853336923.jpg (1186x1189, 295K)

>>nothing new to offer
that's a good thing
>>design is stuck in the 1990s
that's a good thing
works for me
>>basic apps like the terminal still don't let you do basic things like copy and paste with keyboard shortcuts
works for me
>>suite of settings applications is still missing vital tools like disk management, display color management
use your package manager
that's a good thing

who cares lol
>2018
>still doesn't know how the clipboard works in linux

>implying I do Linux tech support for anyone in my senpai
No, retard. I have used XFCE on Arch, Void, and Fedora without major problems. If there is any valid complaint about XFCE is that it has a shit load of configuration menus to customize the desktop environment.

Maybe you should try not being a moron, f@m.

Xfeces can't even integrate basic things like native Samba support, much less Dropbox.

>it's good that my DE is stuck in 1995

Yeah ok. It's hilarious that you people want your software to be useless.

When pcmanfm-qt gets dual pane I am switching to lxqt

Even MATE lets you ctrl C in the terminal.

Xfeces doesn't even let you do that.

Don't forget the shit multi-monitor support.

then install a terminal you like; whats the issue?

>it has a shit load of configuration menus to customize the desktop environment.

And yet it still lacks basic things like desktop color management, disk management, etc.

Xfeces has been doing literally nothing by poorly cloning Gnome2 for years and has nothing to show for it.

Xfce Is fine, it's Ubuntu the shitty part of the mix. I switched to Fedora Xfce and it's rock solid and stable.

>install a terminal you like

The point of a DE is that the terminal it comes with should have basic things like Ctrl C support.

>Don't forget the shit multi-monitor support.

Xfeces was basically built for NEETs who have a hand-me-down laptop from their mommy. That's why it sucks at anything like that.

>color management
I think it has this.
>disk management
Auto-mounting? Thunar has this. If you need to partition and format disks like gdisk, then use fdisk and mkfs. cfdisk is like fdisk but with ncurses interface.

>Xfce Is fine

Keep telling yourself that. Xfeces has even less features than MATE has and it's been around for literally 22 years.

If you can't adapt to something as simple you may as well quit computing.

>The point of a DE is that the terminal it comes with should have basic things like Ctrl C support.

The point of a DE is that the terminal it comes with should have ctrl-c support? Wow, never knew that was the point of a DE. If the point of a DE is that the terminal it comes with should have ctrl-c support, and the terminal that xfce comes with doesn;t have ctrl-c support, it makes me wonder; is xfce even a DE? It seems to not match the definition of a DE, which is to have a terminal with ctrl-c support, which the terminal that comes with xfce does not.

And that's why I use it. I don't care about the latest meme features. Traditional desktop metaphor is fine for me.

>I don't care about the latest meme features. Traditional desktop metaphor is fine for me.

That's what MATE literally is and it has essential features on top of it, unlike Xfeces.

Yeah but mate is still bloated. I didn't start using Linux yesterday like you, I've been using it for over 15 years, I like Xfce and that's what I'll continue using for the foreseeable future.

>muh ctrl c
there's more consistent ways to copy and paste under xorg DE's

just highlight what you want to copy and shift+insert to paste, it will work everywhere

xfce came out before gnome. anyone trash talking xfce is trash talking an important piece of surviving linux history, and probably should not be posting on Jow Forums

>>nothing new to offer
they're currently porting everything to GTK3, so new features aren't being added.
do you want XFCE to be like KDE where devs waste their time on unnecessary features?
>>design is stuck in the 90s
what is modern design then? XFCE is pretty similar to KDE. You have a bunch of panels and you can stick things on them.
If GNOME is an example of modern design, then 90s design is a good thing.
did you submit a bug report?
in xfce4-terminal, ctrl+shift+c copies and ctrl+shift+v pastes.
if you don't like xfce4-terminal, you can always use a different terminal.
>disk management
why would you not do this through the command line?
>display color management
isn't this something you should do through on the physical display?
customizing Lubuntu is a pain in the ass. everything's done through XML for some inexplicable reason. look at this shit askubuntu.com/questions/516303/tiling-windows-horizontally-and-vertically-under-lubuntu-lxde-openbox
What's ugly about it that you can't replace? There's very little you can't customize in XFCE.
I'm not aware of any terminal that has ctrl+c as copy by default.
>Even MATE lets you ctrl C in the terminal.
how do you send a SIGINT then?
>XFCE has less features than every other DE, but I won't tell you what those features are

>mate is still bloated

But it's not. It's literally everything that Xfeces should be and is actually run by somebody competent who has done more for it than the entire Xfeces team has done for Xfeces.

MATE will replace Xfeces and LXQt will replace Budgie and LXDE and it will just be
MATE, LXQt and KDE as the only worthwhile DEs

if you want your terminal to copy things using ctrl+c, how the fuck do you want to abort a running program?

>they're currently porting everything to GTK3, so new features aren't being added.

Great, so you get the bloat from GTK3.

>in xfce4-terminal, ctrl+shift+c copies and ctrl+shift+v pastes.

Why not Ctrl C?

>isn't this something you should do through on the physical display?

What is laptop.

>What's ugly about it that you can't replace?

The utterly basic UI that looks like a toy OS

>if you want your terminal to copy things using ctrl+c, how the fuck do you want to abort a running program?

MATE terminal does Ctrl C.

>nothing new to offer
if it aint broke don't try to fix it
install whatever theme you want
t. lying matefag who has to constantly kill mate applets that randomly decide to use 100% of cpu
werks on my machine
>suite of settings applications is still missing vital tools like disk management, display color management
non-problems
not really

Why are matefags so desperate?

>Xfeces is going to be GTK3 based

If they had any brains, they would port to Qt instead.

ok so if ctrl c copies, how do you abort ping or ffmpeg when running?

use gnome, you retards

Attached: 【B.L.T.】本誌7月号表紙登場記念! 乃木坂46・西野七瀬、白石麻衣、橋本奈 (1280x720, 2.16M)

I don't use those via terminal

>To address concerns that Qt-based apps have heavy memory usage, this release was compared against Xfce, revealing that, after a cold boot, LXQt's memory usage was of 112 MB, just a bit less than Xfce

Xfeces will soon be BTFO by MATE and LXQt in a double whammy.

>reddit spacing
>Great, so you get the bloat from GTK3
GTK2 is no longer maintained, so continuing its use is not really an option.
>Why not Ctrl C?
that sends a SIGINT on just about every terminal, by default.
>The utterly basic UI that looks like a toy OS
you can customize basically every aspect of the UI.

>GTK2 is no longer maintained, so continuing its use is not really an option.

Xfeces should go to Qt like Budgie is doing.

>GTK 3 has too much bloat, so they should move to the system with even more bloat.

>GTK3
>less bloated than Qt

kekekekekek

Gnome is shit. Sure it looks nice but it's unusable for the usual mouse/kb inputs.

* x11-libs/gtk+
Size of files: 18,521 KiB
* dev-qt/qtgui
Size of files: 44,124 KiB

qt also requires C++ which is bloat.

did he just call the terminal an app?

youre a retard if you think ctrl-c should copy. highlight what you want, right click, then copy. ctrl-c is used for and ought to be used for terminating program

That's why Kubuntu 18.04 uses less ram than Xubuntu 18.04?
Kek

>he thinks "bloat" is 30mb more files
>he pays no attention to the memory usage of Kubuntu vs Xubuntu

holy kek

Ctrl+shift+v/c, retard. Ctrl+C is only used in GUI environments, because it's used to send SIGINT to CLI programs.
>disk management
Literally what is this? Use lsblk, fdisk, parted, dd, smartctl, etc.

>install bloated distro
>distro is bloated
>blame DE
on any distro that isn't bloated, system memory usage is under 300M on XFCE with nothing open.

>Xfeces
Your posts belong in the

>getting triggered because his DE is shit and has an appropriate nickname

>getting this triggered over a DE
Don’t like it? Don’t use it, MATE shill.

Go shit posting about someone else hard work somewhere else OP.
Don't you like it, don't use it or make a DE for yourself!
GNU/Linux you can make it looks how the hell you want without anyone imposing you anything, if you don't get that, buy OSX.
For noobs, Google how to theme your DE.

Install Gentoo

no

Yeah. XFCE is really irredeemable.

i use xfece because more or less works (and feels slightly more polished than MATE), but
>system time is suddenly off for a couple of hours
>huh.. aite, lets open time and date settings dialogue.. oh... there is none and you gotta use cli to set the time

sometimes you just have to cope with lower expectations than of windows 98 UI... or simply switch to a different DE and deal with it's tradebacks.. GAAAANOOOOOO

>GNU/Linux you can make it looks how the hell you want without anyone imposing you anything, if you don't get that, buy OSX.

this is simply false for most cases, because regular user has no means of doing such things as rewriting the widget toolkit, layout of ui elements, ineraction animations in software they are using. merely changing a 'skin'/color-scheme of something is nothing more than caking up some makeup, often on garbage software that comes with distros or as 3d-party. you cannot fix something that's fundamentally garbage with a 'skin'.

>nothing new to offer
don't fix what isn't broken
only if you're using the default theme, try Matcha dakr sea dn icon theme for sexy tiems
never had this happen on my modern desktop, maybe on your potatoe...
>calling things apps,
pic related
no its not
lol found the shill

user you're the biggest letdown in this thread, i hope you kys soon

I'm with dill pickle on this one

Attached: baited.png (624x628, 64K)

im using it. its shit

Attached: 2018-04-28-014620_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 131K)

Ironically, the screen tearing in Gnome prevents the Onions-chugging faggot bugmen who use it from enjoying their Rick and Morty and Blacked videos.
>pic related, it's a typical Gnome user

Attached: CED82580-5D74-4E93-BF5C-0F454E44927E.jpg (1280x1912, 542K)

>kde + ubuntu = no bloat
>xfce + ubuntu = bloat
>hurr-durr, the problem is with ubuntu
xfeces shills everybody

Attached: 1507483926815.png (406x452, 30K)

No, the problem is with the Xubuntu maintainers who ship it so bloated and with utilities from GNOME. If you put XFCE by itself on top of a minimal or server install it's actually really lean, even with the goodies package.

saying this like it's a bad thing

Attached: 425.jpg (330x269, 43K)

Attached: 1526274794304.png (406x452, 29K)

You MATE shills are so clever, wow.

lol no

>i use xfece because more or less works (and feels slightly more polished than MATE)

MATE feels more complete, though. Xfeces is more stable because it had 22 years to mature while MATE has been around for 6. Imagine what MATE can do in 10 full years of development. MATE has outpaced Xfeces for years now.

I mean Xubuntu 18.04 is now using MATE applications.

Why did you install that dogshit theme?

>No, the problem is with the Xubuntu maintainers who ship it so bloated and with utilities from GNOME

yeah because Xfeces has no features, retard.

Doesn't mean they have to shit it up with GNOME though. Just look at the Lubuntu guys, they use lightweight stuff like Htop and made the telemetry opt-in.

90s interfaces are good in contrast insane toy DEs like Metro windows and Gnome 3 re pure shit.

However I think cinnamon improves a lot in this area.
The tabs in windows and quick snap (the windows key) feature are a great improvement on a old and tried UI.

>gnome
eeew gnome, can't stand it. Don't care if other people think XFCE looks old. It works (for me). It's prefect. It doesn't do silly things like eeeew GNOME. Like, I tried GNOME out. Opened a terminal. Wanted another terminal window and and GNOME shifts focus to the first terminal instead of opening another. Oh I should just use one terminal for everything, eh? GNOME developers will probably build some shit in to make sure you can't use screen in a terminal so you're focused on your allowed one window at a time. My desktop is not a fucking cellphone.

Attached: WJSN_1stminialbum-fancam-001.webm (1280x720, 2.57M)

>Doesn't mean they have to shit it up with GNOME though

What else are they going to use? They haven't written much original software.

>90s interfaces are good in contrast insane toy DEs like Metro windows

Windows 10 before they started changing the UI to their Metro app stuff looks better than Xubuntu and you know it.

Wat
It doesn't
Okay, you're baiting and spreading lies. Good to know. Kys.
>MATE
Looks even worse while being more shit.
>KDE
Isn't stable

Xfce has it's problems, but none of what you listed is one of them.

ChaletOS and ZorinOS Lite disagree.

O-Oh yeah? H... How about you stop being a meanie...?
also
>Xfeces
A-AND YOU ARE... A DUMMY! AND... AND... YOU ARE NOT COOL!

The only good Windows UI was 95/98~+XP and this is a fact.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1516321865484.png (394x487, 225K)

based

thats a funny way to spell OS9

konsole does ctrl+shift+c

KDE is just a little over 100MB heavier on RAM than XFCE, but offers much more, so the choice is clear on this one.

>using ubuntu
are you disabled?