I want to create a distributed chan with no central server...

I want to create a distributed chan with no central server. Should there be mods regardless or should there be full democracy in a given thread? I believe that your own images should exist only on your machine and be served by you only when you are online. But other people can still download cp into cache by accident. How to protect people from getting cp on their machines?

Attached: kolejna-polka-podbija-swiat-mody_56ec1bcf.jpg (610x610, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/majestrate/nntpchan
benis.oniichanylo2tsi4.onion/static/faq.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Someone did a proof of concept chan on the Eth blockchain, look it up. I don't think it had moderation though.

I hate blockchain. Blockchain archives shot. I want it to be anonymous. When everyone including OP leave the thread, it dies forever.

Moderation is best when users self-moderate. No, not the plebbit "downvote" type, but rather the public ridicule and shitposting type. Decentralization with mods cannot be considerede sincere.

NNTPchan

Without moderation you will end up with spam and CP and nobody will give a fuck.

millchan on zeronet

Tried to get into their site and got a virus on Android...

Retard
github.com/majestrate/nntpchan

No mods means it will be spammed by CP

The thing is you need to have moderation if you're on the clearnet and don't want your site flooded with cp and spam. This will discourage people who arent pedos or spammers from using it, effectively killing any potential it may have. So you need to at least have content moderators to take that shit down.

What if the OP becoms mod of his own thread and X number of users in thread can vote to purge the thread or kick a user?

But if you provide the software itself and have no central server can you still be charged for giving pedos a platform?

A central source of power, in this case mods, will invalidate any attempt at decentralization. A single hole will sink the whole ship.
At best you could have users "agree" to handle some central power to a particular user but also have it easy to remove. The repercusion of this is that it can be exploited for purposes aimed against the community unless it's absolutely under the radar or big enough to offer resistance. For example Jow Forums is big enough to resist mods and has done so before.

>Jow Forums is big enough to resist mods
>get range banned
>fuck off forever

>For example Jow Forums is big enough to resist mods and has done so before.
Continuing, it's also big enough to resist outside groups. Maybe not as much inter-board communities, but that's another talk, not related.

>spooky range bans

*turns vpn on*
*teleports behind you*

Attached: 1518130138071.jpg (610x610, 47K)

Not spooky at all. My entire country is banned from posting on Jow Forums on mobile.
It's nice that networks get banned on per board basis.

>Google has your browser fingerprint
>permaban for ban evasion

If you give users the ability to self moderate the platform will be subject to sybil attacks, just as reddit is currently subjected to.

Do moderation like we do adblocking. Anyone can make a list of IP ranges, hashes, filters, usernames, whatever, to block. And you can install whatever blocklists you want. And eventually there will be some consensus about what mods are good and trustworthy, but you can easily opt out.

Do young niggas in Jow Forums not even know what cookies are in the year of our lord 2018?

If the public demands it, you will be charged and there's no magic way to say you didn't really mean it.

So that's why the self-moderation should be indirect and linked to culture. I don't believe any central moderator figure is good at any length of time or that it can timely respond to user demands.

That sound pretty good to me.

Yes, then all you do is grab a bunch of sybil nodes to make the culture shift through mass shitposting then one minority group has control.

The only problem with decentralized stuff is it will never be anonymous. Yout IP is tied to everything.

This is what NNTPChan does:
>Question: How does moderation work then?
Moderation is done with our special tripcodes (ed25519-sha512 signed posts). Anyone can give moderation suggestions, but that doesn't mean anyone will accept them. Those who trust the actions of a moderator can have their frontend whitelist the moderation actions and have them performed without oversight by another moderator.
benis.oniichanylo2tsi4.onion/static/faq.html

Ever heard of M/ a/ s/t /e r /c h \a n, user?

Had to type that so weirdly as Jow Forums wouldn't let me post it otherwise

Dude just clear your cookies lmao

Self moderation doesn't work when sites are too popular. Look at /v/ and how greatly they're self moderating

Except that doesn't happen as easily as you say. Except what kind of control would that be? They'd be making threads? Posting dubs? How long can they realistically carry before they realize the group they tried to invade with bots reallocated due to decentralized nature?

Basically this. Let anyone who wants be a "moderator", except only people who subscribe to that person's mod activity will see the effects. If they start power tripping or ignoring board culture, users can just switch their moderation subscriptions to someone less shitty.

Yeah, because it was shilled super heavily back in 2014.

/v/ uses a user moderation system like reddit except that it's based on bumps instead of upvotes. Which means threads that don't get sweet (You)s get sent to the archive. A different dynamic from reddit with different effects, but still cancerous.

Yea, that was me.

I'd argue it's still less cancerous than Reddit because bumps typically contain content whereas upboats are just likes that determine what other users see.

Attached: 5b45fc53707d0dce44f0969aa9b85b17674194f00498e0deacd5c302ffa83c38.png (1281x722, 504K)

Look at Jow Forums
Look at the location-specific subreddits

Forking a community is much more difficult than you think it is, once sybil nodes take a hold of a forum it's game over.

How do you remove illegal content from the platform this way?

If its decentralized then you just don't host any content that's on your blocklists.

If we accept what mods "officially" say, that they are not assigned specific boards or threads to monitor, and that thus they try to equally distribute their own monitoring, then it's very likely that /v/ actually has extremely active rulefags who go out of their way to report threads. Janitors may also be part of this. I don't think this has any relation to the board size itself. Jow Forums is bigger, however rules there are more lax. Alternatively it would be easier to believe that slower boards are easier to monitor because less activity means a single mod can deal with more shitty threads. However Jow Forums is considerably more lax than /v/.
You need to try your hand at shitposting to really get what is happening.

Attached: 040.png (785x278, 80K)

Then you just end up with a block of X number of people running around who own the board. "Do what we say or we kick you! GAMERGATE 4EVER!"

Intriguing, thank you

>they try to equally distribute their own monitoring
I don't think they claim that, and we know it isn't true from the IRC leaks and ban reason patterns from before templates.

Milchan

>no mods means freedom
who could have though?

that means if you're the OP and you take a nap or a shit or something and your thread is suddenly shitted up with CP, its your responsibility for not getting rid of it.

fuck that

>still cancerous
if people did not respond to bait, it would be the perfect system

5% of the population have sadistic personalities and will ruin a good thing for others if there's no control.

If people didn't put their own interests above those of the people, communism would be the perfect system

It could be a text chan (textboard). It could be fully decentralized and need no mods because there could be no way of breaking the rules. How would you post CP if there are no images?

People still could spam entire copyrighted books.

>yfw people start posting ASCII CP on your textboard

Word limit. Also no one would care, as the thread would probably die before anyone could be blamed. Or a basic moderation system with some user or some thing being able to delete bad posts.

Props to anyone that would go to such extents, lol

can also post links to CP, which makes for a serious problem

you can convert any picture to ASCII, theres a bunch of converters online

just do it like on reddit, except the votes aren't visible
run it over tor?

You have a distributed downvoting system. When enough nodes reports an user for cp/spam, the IP should be banned from the network for X number of days.

>this leads to trolls mass reporting everyone for CP
oh well, it might work if trolls are outnumbered by apathetic anons

Should users also be able to unban the user?

You seem to be reinventing government. Why would your system be harder to abuse than what we currently have?

It's run by the people for the people?

I've dreamed of making a site like HN or reddit, but votes are weighted by how much a voters votes correlates with the founder and the original community's votes.

Also no visible scores or karma, that is cancer.

Mods = fags

I'll join your site if I can pedopost unlike here.

Almost all vpns on Jow Forums are banned

>Jow Forums
>Resist mods

The newfags who inhabit this site now suck mod cock on the daily. You get range banned here for posting what used to be commonplace.

Attached: ff.jpg (1280x853, 334K)

To add again in a double post. This is exactly what authorities wanted when outlawing cp. The laws exist to prevent true anonymous or truly community driven sites without little mod fags ruining it.

Pathetic everytime someone wants to make something online they have to worry about this. This is exactly why nothing on the internet should be illegal.

>wants to make a site with votes like Reddit or HN
>believes he is qualified to label other things cancer

oh boy.

As soon as you have to elect representatives (mods), you run into the agency problem. I'm not saying that it's an impossible problem that is not worth tackling, just want to hear your plans.

This m8