Why don't case manufacturers use carbon fiber instead of plastic or iron?

Why don't case manufacturers use carbon fiber instead of plastic or iron?

Attached: lamborghini-carbon-fiber-exhibit.jpg (1920x1080, 318K)

Other urls found in this thread:

compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=CSE748TQR1K43B&vid=428&src=F
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how are you supposed to see leds through carbon fiber?

lol wtf just make holes desu

why waste carbon fiber on stupid nerd shit

Good question, I assume it costs more than standard materials.

This basically. Lenovo started using carbon fiber at the very top of their Thinkpad line (X1 Carbon) and it's trickling down to the cheaper models over time.

>iron
lol
cases are mostly made of steel, so they don't vibrate too much from spinning fans and drives.

Steel literally is iron and carbon.

but it's not just iron.

Aluminum is cheaper and the thickness required for computer cases is such that carbon fiber isn't advantageous to use.
And people like horrible steel and tempered glass shit boxes. Companies can barely sell $200 minimilistic aluminum cases. How do you think they'd do selling $500 carbon fiber cases?

I had to buy LianLi's new PC-V720 on faith alone because there were no video reviews or even written reviews. I think I might be the only person in the country with it.

Attached: Lian-Li-PC-V720-ATX-Tower-Chassis-Debuts.jpg (965x965, 164K)

it has shitty thermals that's why

pls

Rosewill cases are just as good and cost under $30.

Do you want $1000 PC cases? Because that's how you get $1000 PC cases.

>very top of their Thinkpad line (X1 Carbon)

HAHA good one.

Show me a $30 100% aluminum case from Rose will that has the finish and unique size/layout inside that the PC-V720 has. I'll wait.

it's expensive to make in large sheets, and even more expensive to mold into an unbroken complex shape. Also, the strength of carbon fiber depends on how dense it is, and denser carbon is more expensive than less dense carbon.

there is no need to be lightweight. because they don't move.

Why only the very top? What if you drop it and hits the bottom?

they used to use aluminum but then realized you idiots would just buy steel and plastic cases any way if they looked "cool" enough.

look at lianli most of their cases now suck but some of their older models are keno like the PC7 etc.

cost idiot.

maybe stop being unique snowflake fag

What dont manufactures use wood?

Attached: 97779FC6E88F4C6BABF0DB097045E48E.gif (834x870, 327K)

One does but the case is poorly laid out and $700 IIRC.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read today. Think of the advantages of carbon fibre and now think of how they apply to a static box.

Do we need a case to be extremely lightweight? Do we need the fatigue strength of it? Do we need the tensile strength? What benefits, if any, does carbon fibre have over steel or aluminium?

nah, you can get an entire bicycle frame made in china for like 600. a box with all flat surfaces would surely be much simpler to manufacture
t. a person who spent 3 years making carbon fiber aircraft parts for a living

aluminum sux tho

>full sized ATX case
>2 fans mounts
>2 3.5in drives
>2 2.5in drives
>$200
There really might be a good reason no one wants to review this case or buy it and its not because everyone just wants tempered glass

probably because it would lose the perception of it being a "premium material"

it is probably more expensive because it's not as mass produced/ readily available as aluminium or plastics

Don't need to, they have better ones, I'm sitting right next to one.

Magnesium alloy is the true patrician case material

I like my shitty pewter case smells like China

$1000 PC cases are steel
compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=CSE748TQR1K43B&vid=428&src=F

ffs my SC743 was 500 plus probably an extra $100 for the optional fans, and an extra $200 for the 2.5" SAS3 bays.

Attached: 1022160991.jpg (200x200, 35K)

It's expensive

It would be pretty shit since a metal case doubles as a RF shield.

Carbon fiber is fairly cheap as a material but special shapes like for PC cases would require CNC or some sort of specialized injection molding. That's probably why you see it in higher-end laptops, since they have CNC'd metal enclosures anyway, but for PC cases it's probably either prohibitively expensive. Steel can just be stamped from sheet stock, which is by far cheaper for manufacturing. I mean you could even do it at home with a little bit of finesse and the right primitive tools.

Iron implies iron oxide.