Windows to linux

So, it's mid-night and I spent the entire day wondering, should I switch my os.
I am sick and tired of microsoft and their bullshit althought I have been developing on windows for last few years been familiarizing myself with the win32API, working low level kernel etc.
anyways bottom line thinking to switch to linux (arch). I guess I will install VMware there, essentially my main OS is going to be arch linux.
thoughts.?
btw, i am an experienced linux user, I tried using I3 as window manager and its super nice or I am just too skilled :^)

Attached: 220px-Linus_Torvalds.jpg (220x300, 22K)

*GNU/Linx

Welcome to the free world.
Why arch? Why not something that works?

i've been wondering that too. i still need windows because:
1. games
2. work need visual studio

heard gaming not so good in linux
can use visual studio code
vm can be a solution

need advice, guys

Also Parabola.

Dual boot?

*GNU/Linux

Well, friends advised me to start with arch and besides isn't it the most popular choice here on Jow Forums.?
it works just fine and easy to use. :p
the reason i'm hesitating to switch to linux is, gaming. I play sometimes games that I'm not sure will handle well on linux. but I think its worth it lol

that's an option too considering my laptop only has 4 gb ram. ram is too small for vm thing

>65924582
The name itself makes uncomfortable lol
arch works fine tho

>play sometimes games that I'm not sure will handle well on linux
me too

literally me lol.
unless I will allow my programs that I write with visual studio to execute in WINE, i prefer using mingw. and again the gaming :P sadly

people who play games on linux, please leave a feedback. what distro, which hardware (GPU/CPU/RAM). any extra packages installed and etc.
thank you Jow Forums for introducing me to the world of linux :)

>it works just fine
It doesn't. Ubuntu, OpenSuSe, Debian and CentOS work just fine.

Attached: arch.png (1465x1007, 117K)

haha nice meme, now care to elaborate on why it "doesnt work" or you just know how to meme basedboy

*GNU/Linux

You will need just Wine to run windows gaymen on GNU+Linux. PlayOnLinux is a config manager for wine that can be helpful for large libraries.

Attached: 1439503501663.png (1209x798, 60K)

>main OS
>in a VM
What?

It's is bleeding edge and rolling release. That means new software is pushed to the user without testing all the time and with little concern to interoperability of the system.
Their documentation is great thou.

Attached: 1481834088467.jpg (383x400, 29K)

let me explain again, if I switch my os (windows2linux), I might install vmware there so I can develop software for windows :P

They call it "Linux/GNU" actually...

I'm not aware of this new meme.

These days it's about 50/50 that a given game on Steam will run natively on Linux. PlayonLinux is a pretty brainless tool to run the Windows version of Steam. You'll get something like 60-70% performance compared to native Windows. VS Code is an editor similar to VS Microsoft made available on Linux but it's not the same nor a fully featured IDE. You don't need to overwrite your Windows disk to try Linux. Just install a VM of some random Linux distro and try it out, Windows 10 makes this easy.

This, VSC is pretty good. It's not as bloated as VS, but this means that you'll have to add extensions manually (C# support, C++, etc.). This is easy, but getting used to the new workflow will be difficult at first.

GNU plus Linux

what about older games like late 90's and early 2000?

i also play lots of early 90's MS-DOS games. i usually use DOSBox. can DOSBox run in linux?

DOSBox runs natively on Linux. And you can always install older games on PlayOnLinux as long as you're installing them with 32bit WINE.

Attached: ArchHelpFile.png (924x3386, 281K)

>what about older games like late 90's and early 2000?
Will work fine.

good to hear that

What about Photoshop?

>dont update the system for a month
>update a package
>other packages break including pacman
>ask for help
>"just do a fresh install"

Contrarian much?