Web Development General

Previous thread: >Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: 1526006327701.png (822x552, 776K)

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/tag/keep-portable-ubuntu-installation-wherever-go/
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/CanvasRenderingContext2D/arc
BattleForTheNet.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

pls sirs

How hard is it to put /wdg/ in the title you fucking retard?

Attached: BDF0EDB6-C2F9-4DEC-8622-334374A7E168.png (856x846, 85K)

he also broke the streak

Redpill me on purescript

a simple for loop has 100kb overhead.

What do you guys do for art assets?
I'm not a drawfag so I just paid $5 to a literal Pajeet to do me a decent logo, not bad results actually.

How much of a meme Elixir and Golang are? While looking for some positions I saw companies listing them.

I can hardly draw for shit, but I like doing stuff with SVGs. Inkscape is a bit buggy sometimes on MacOS in my experience (mostly because it's old GTK stuff and has to use XQuartz) but overall it's pretty good.

Not much of a meme anymore, but still pretty rare outside of tech hubs.

Pay for custom assets, use things like logojoy, etc. Not too often though.

>While looking for some positions I saw companies listing them.
Fucking where?

I've seen exactly one Goland job in the last 3 years and it paid like 180k because no one knows it.

I was wondering, are there websites that have refactoring/debugging exercises? Kind of like leetcode challenges with tests to see if you got it right, or even codepens for you to "solve" with a solution listed somewhere else?

99designs if you have a couple hundred to spend on a logo and want a really good one.

I can't stand these javascript """frameworks"""
what javascript framework respects my user's freedoms

Aren't most of them released under MIT?

Fuck your users freedoms.

how would my users know that when it loads 500kb unreadable compiled javascript

You could serve beautiful (non-minified) js if you really wanted...

Stop spending so much time on Jow Forums.

i can't expect any of my users to take a day to read a 1mb javascript file to use my website

Lads the uni computers all run windows. How do I teach myself backend web development on here? Every guide I have seen starts with assuming the person reading is on linux or mac.

VM, Mingw, bootable usb, find different guides

Linux subsystem if you have it, probably not if it's a lab machine. tbqfh its a shit-show doing anything on windows so I would say get yourself a cheap laptop and install a better os

Install Linux on a pendrive/portable HD.

makeuseof.com/tag/keep-portable-ubuntu-installation-wherever-go/

This.
Plan b, since lab machines are often set not to boot from USB and only from network drives and shit, is Putty.
Get yourself a VPS and code over ssh, you can map a network drive locally and use VSC/Sublime if you want but you you could also just use your choice of linux text editor inside Putty/ssh as well.

>NodeJS
>MongoDB
>ReactJS
>Express
>4 projects made by scratch
>Still cant get a job since december

im kinda giving up...

>uni computers
unless you're at a scam uni, they should have a variety
especially if all the materials point towards linux/mac

memes on top of more memes

Memes? You mean javascript? it's cool.

document.querySelector('canvas').getContext('2d').arc(x, y, raio, 0, 2*3.14);
0, 2*3.14

how is the equation of this part called in math? what should i look for if i wanna know this property of circles better?

"raio" means radius btw, just for context

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/CanvasRenderingContext2D/arc
Those parameters are start and end angles, in radians. Radians are an alternative to degrees. Instead of going from 0 to 360, they go from 0 to 2*pi.

>instead of going from 0 to 360, they go from 0 to 2*pi
I guess it does get easier to understand something once you're interested in it. kind of mad that I never understood these concepts in school, honestly. either way, thanks!

You could look into some trigonometry/precalculus materials on khan academy if you're interested in learning more.

I thought it was a typo for ratio

What kind of projects user?

What is /wdg/'s front end framework of choice?
>Angular
>React
>Vue

No memes please. I just want to go a step further into front-end.

Attached: 1498484008899.jpg (850x680, 211K)

React, I never liked Angular and Vue is too snowflake for now.

React/MobX

I really enjoy using Vue.

But React is still the safe choice, if you are concerned about jobs and marketable skills.
Both are fine, though I prefer Vue for its HTML-directive templates and single-file-components.
Not a fan of JSX personally, but there are definitely worse things.

Attached: 1521284527916.jpg (698x356, 73K)

Vue is best in pretty much every way, but React is safer job wise.
I would say learn react but also in your spare time start picking up Vue so when the Vue starts getting more popular you can make the switch.

I have a job interview in two days. Can I learn angular 2 in that time?

Attached: 1456689029807.jpg (908x714, 99K)

Do you know Vue or React already? If so, yes. At least enough for a job interview.

One nice thing about React is that you can use it in native applications using react native.
And those native applications actually look, feel and perform like native apps, unlike shitty web wrappers which try in vain to emulate a real app.

I know a bit of React, but I've never used it in actual projects. I'm mostly a graphic / web designer, not a developer. That's roughly what I said in my application and they called me, even though they mostly asked for angular 2, rxjs, etc. I'll try my best in these two days and see what happens, thanks.

I don't like your chances but if you're going in as a designer not a developer then I guess they shouldn't have high expectations. Concentrate on the templating side of it maybe, that might be what they want you for.

Would companies look down on Typescript use for a Javascript position?

Why would they? TypeScript is amazing?

Dunno. Ignorance. Just checking.

It's possible, they might see you as a snowflake or just be afraid of new things.
Some people are threatened by people who know things they don't, or who are willing to learn and embrace new technology.

You are an attention seeking retard wanna-be snowflake. Stop pretending to ask questions that you already know the answer to. If you really knew TS you wouldn't ask such stupid questions. Learn to think outside the box a little you fucking sheep fuck. You make me sick.

flask is muy comfy

Why do people even learn any language that is not JavaScript?

JavaScript is perfect, whatever you want to do you can do it more easily and better on Javascript.

Why do people even learn any language that is not brainfuck? Brainfuck is perfect, whatever you want to do you can do it more easily and better on brainfuck.

Wtf? They are requiring you to be in a US timezone so they aren't hunting for cheap Indians.

Attached: Screenshot_20180514-142605_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 267K)

?

>What you need to know: the exact opposite of what you currently know.

I assume the 'wtf' is because they require all three major frontend frameworks (Angular, React, Vue), five different backend languages/frameworks (C#/.NET, PHP/Laravel, JS/Node, Python/Django, Ruby/Rails) and two different database paradigms (SQL and Mongo i.e. NoSQL).

Not to mention mobile: two separate cross platform frameworks (React Native and Cordova), two langs for iOSalone (Objective-C and Swift), and thankfully just Java for Android (they apparently haven't jumped on Kotlinyet).

I assume it means either are good.

Not the way they listed C#, Python, Ruby, and PHP

I got talked into staying by a friend.

If it weren't for him I would be up 35k in pay in a nice house in a nice neighborhood running a website that already exists.

Then my job refused my raise.

Mistakes.

>whatever you want to do you can do it more easily and better on brainfuck
To be fair, no one has ever said that.
The user you're replying to is a faggot though.

Currently learning angular 5 and kinda hit a block. What's the use cases for module, reactive and template validation? what's best and why use one over the other?

It sounds like they really, REALLY want a senior web developer.
It's a bit retarded to want someone who knows C# and PHP/Python because one is a windows platform and the others are more associated with Linux servers but basically they want someone who knows literally everything about web development.
That salary better be amazing because they're asking for the most committed web developer ever who has intensely studied every language in their own time to master ever aspect of web development that they might ever encounter.

Still, most web developers are going to have 'exposure' to 90% of it, it's just going to be super rare to find a developer who has actual commercial experience, let alone mastery, of every one of those.
A lot of job apps list 'would like' as if they were 'must have'. They're shooting themselves in the foot because now everyone responds to adds asking experience just because they can claim to 'have exposure', it's sort of a Tragedy of the Commons and one more way that job ads are almost useless.

Know all of that doesn't make a senior-level developer.

It makes a unicorn of unicorn developers. You are talking .00001% of developers. I have been developing for 19 years and I learn new languages regularly. I once knew ColdFusion; don't anymore. Same with C, Basic, COBOL, VB, and Java. Use it or lose it. So they are looking for a developer that knows ALL of those things well enough meaning they use them regularly.

There might be one or two people in the world with working knowledge of everything they listed and they definitely have rainman-level autism.

>know
this is how I know I worked hard today. no*

>It makes a unicorn of unicorn developers
It wants a unicorn of unicorn developers

Am I having a stroke?

Bootstraps hidden-sm-down doesn't work?

Tried it on every elements and it's like lol nope displaying anyways.

You do realize that when they list that many general things, they mean OPTIONS?
A place asking for C++/C#/Go/Java/etc. isn't literally saying "MUST BE EXPERT IN ALL", it means do you at least know one of these you dumb motherfucker because we'll be writing shit.

Like, how do you guys even dress yourselves in the morning not knowing this shit?

got it. it's apparently now d-none d-md-block

No idea why they did that.

If you aren't using Yii you aren't using PHP correctly

If you're using PHP for anything other than APIs then you are using PHP wrong.

>They're shooting themselves in the foot because now everyone responds to adds asking experience just because they can claim to 'have exposure', it's sort of a Tragedy of the Commons and one more way that job ads are almost useless.
A thousand times this. I carefully make realistic job listings for our hr dept. but because the trend is unrealistic shit we get hoards of under-qualified candidates. It's a maddening situation that forces interviews to be harder than they should be lest we get caught with a dolt. I hate this trend with every fiber of my being.

>Dev: We could really use another jr mobile dev for the android team, get us some resumes of people with Java and Android experience as well as out usual tools. It's fine if they have limited exposure we can coach a good candidate.
>HR: OK!
>Job listing: Mandatory qualifications - five years experience with every mobile thing we found on Google and all the things. Preferred qualifications - every programming language ever.

ayy fuck my life

Attached: hahahahaha.png (951x498, 56K)

Is there an easier way to do this btw in js/jquery? Don't you dare recommend react because I'm still a novice and I like to shit out sites fast.

React

Use template literals instead of concatenating all that shit.

Attached: no.png (274x273, 138K)

Reaction to React.

I want to start an online class where I stream lessons on web dev.

Is there a platform for this?

What's better, Bootstrap or Foundation 6?

how does one handle being the weakest link on the team? (but still making contribs). I'm not shitty enough that I'm going to get canned, but I'm shitty enough that I'm basically the monkey that takes all day to fix one bug and doesn't make any meaningful contributions to the application

desu I think actually making the html look decent will make it seem more bearable. Currently in jquery hell and that's been helping a lot

also, template literals will help with that too. Utilize dem back ticcs bruh

So with the literal I can put them on new lines and tab normally?

Yeah so you could do something like
`

beautiful. thank you.

You don't write single page apps in pure JS/jQuery you massive faggot.
You're basically doing a compiler's work and for what? "I like to shit out sites fast"
More like you like to shit fast.

Something like React is both more stable, more maintainable, and more reusable than that piece of shit you wrote.

Also, it's beneficial in terms of speed to set the selector to a variable and use the variable to act on.

So something like
var allJobs = $('#display_jobs_all');
allJobs.empty();
allJobs.append(html);

JQuery sucks so every time you do $('#cool') it has to go find the element. This information might not be relevant now but it could save you in the future!

I did not know that. Thanks.

I'm learning React (and react-native), but I also don't like how you said you don't write spas in jquery. I do write spas in jquery. I've launched 9 projects in the last 2 years as spas in jquery. I could retire with the spas I wrote in jquery.
Hell, Cordova works with spas written in jquery and that's how I make my apps. I can bring my jquery spa into cordova and it works every time. Claiming react is more stable than my code is funny though. Maybe more optimized but stable? lol. Please. My code does exactly what I want it to with no issues.

I am learning React so I can learn react-native so I can make better cross-platform native apps. You suck though and triggered me a little.

quick reminder: the Senate votes on Net Neutrality in less than 48 hours, anons!

BattleForTheNet.com or call (513) 854-0120 to contact your reps

It doesn't matter what we vote, mah dewd

My reps are already voting for

BS
twitch

React native is alright although android performance can be pretty awful, and both devices won't look exactly the same in design due to how View and Text is implemented in their respective platforms.

You also really need a Mac to actually develop efficiently because there's a bunch of issues that affect you from developing on Android such as how the remote dev tools work by having the JS bridge on the host machine, JS timer inconsistencies, using AsyncStorage not working and hot reloading not working.

Flutter seems like a great solution though however it's currently iOS/Android only. I'm pretty sure one day there will be support for more platforms though. One thing I think it gets right is that it has its own rendering engine so everything is performant and looks consistent on all platforms, which also allows you to control how every pixel is displayed. I just really, really don't like the syntax though.

>I've been writing full applications in an intermediate language because C# is too pleb for me but I don't wanna go all the way into writing pure assembler
this is what you sound like
>I've been doing things the hard way for years for no reason but to autofellate myself
Dude fuck working on any of your projects, I bet you're literally the only maintainer on all of them. Enjoy fixing those missing tags, misspelled attributes and classnames.

>react isn't stable
here's the hallmark of someone who's just learning React.
Or really, anyone who ONLY knows web development. It's like talking to a street shitter.
They don't understand anything about architecture.

Component-based design is the gift that programmer GODS have graced you web dev faggots with, and it's pearls before swine.

>how does one handle being the weakest link on the team?
Do you have a CS degree?

>Component-based design is the gift that programmer GODS have graced you web dev faggots with, and it's pearls before swine.
U MAD

I'm mean, you're not wrong and a building a table out of an array is literally what a React list map is amazing at but still, you're pretty mad just because that one user is a newfag to web development.

My projects were made to run autonomously. I don't have to do anything. They are there to generate passive income. I did make a game in C# in Unity. Boring language. It's like javascript if javascript was picky and annoying.

Also stop sucking Reacts dick. It's alright but what have you done with it to give you such a swaying opinion of it? It's just a framework.

>Do you have a CS degree?
This is funny. I haven't been to one place yet where the CS degree guys were on even half the level of the non-college guys. I don't have a degree and even when I was an entry-level developer I was teaching the degree nerds how to use the language. Degrees don't mean anything.