Why do normalfags completely spazz out when they encounter a filesystem?

Why do normalfags completely spazz out when they encounter a filesystem?

They just don't understand and panic. I don't get it. It's just putting things in boxes what's hard to grasp?

Attached: explorer.jpg (631x369, 75K)

What the fuck are you talking about?

They're brain damaged monkeys that can't model a recursive system in their head to understand where something is. In an earlier century they'd be peasants.

>"user where's the photos? I can't find them!"

what the fuck are you talking about? pretty sure everyone finds that intuitive. a demented 90yo would understand the concept of a folder in seconds

I used to work at an IT helpdesk at a big retailer, and almost everything was solved by educating the customer in basic computer usage. Daily I witnessed young people who did not understand that documents existed as files on the drive, not just within Word. Basic tasks like copying a file to a thumb drive was incomprehensible to these people. One girl claimed her documents were randomly being erased from her computer. To show us, she opened the start menu search to search for a file she had worked on some days prior. I asked if she had looked for the file in the folder it was saved to. tldr; she believed files could only be fetched through search, and if you've used windows you know that shit is unreliable as fuck, and needs to have the index rebuilt often.
This chick was a fifth year medicine student too, so you'd think she had some brains. Computer illiteracy is real.

>mv pleb /dev/null

She would be right if this was mobile. Your Google Docs or whatever are not accessible in any other app, and if they don't show up in search you're kind of fucked

I see this every single day as well.
>"What web browser are you using?"
>"What's a 'web browser?'"
>"The thing you browse the Internet with."
>"Oh. Okay."
>"Well?"
>"Ugh, I don't know. Just fix the issue!"
What's worse is that the technologically inept are typically quick to anger. I imagine this is because they're worried about appearing imbecilic before you, the lowly IT guy.
Windows Explorer befuddles these people. Yet the idea is simple, both in theory and practice: Organize files into folders. You do this IRL with physical documents, yes?
Smart phones and tablets have regressed digital literacy tenfold. Whenever I see a 20-something with their eyes glued to the fucking iPhone on a busy expressway, or when I see a boomer pounding their fat, greasy, sausage fingers all over a tablet, I imagine Steve Jobs smiling and rubbing his hands.

Attached: 1521304922882.jpg (220x274, 21K)

Computers are scary. Certain keystrokes are illegal.

> I imagine this is because they're worried about appearing imbecilic before you, the lowly IT guy.
I'd put money on then not talking to a mechanic like they talk to us.

>in every user interface study we’ve ever done […], [we found] it’s pretty easy to learn how to use these things ‘til you hit the file system and then the learning curve goes vertical. So you ask yourself, why is the file system the face of the OS? Wouldn’t it be better if there was a better way to find stuff?

>Now, e-mail, there’s always been a better way to find stuff. You don’t keep your e-mail on your file system, right? The app manages it. And that was the breakthrough, as an example, in iTunes. You don’t keep your music in the file system, that would be crazy. You keep it in this app that knows about music and knows how to find things in lots of different ways. Same with photos: we’ve got an app that knows all about photos. And these apps manage their own file storage. […]

>And eventually, the file system management is just gonna be an app for pros and consumers aren’t gonna need to use it.

Attached: images(3).jpg (227x222, 5K)

I wouldn't bet against you, user.
Mechanics are seen as salt-of-the-Earth, blue-collar Joes. They also tend to be physically intimidating.
IT workers are worms, nerds, loners and losers.
I grew up in Metropolitan Detroit. Most of my family works for the Big Three. Cousins and friends are mechanics, some work in design and marketing. But they're all motorheads at the end of the day. Oddly enough, tech and auto-minded people get along pretty well. Sort of a brotherhood, in fact. Different hardware, same basic principles.

>"What adrenal gland has the problem?"
>"What's an 'adrenal gland'?'"
>"The thing tht you use in your kidney"
>"Oh. Okay."
>"Well?"
>"Ugh, I don't know. Just cure me it hurts when I pee!"

well put, user

Local documents are saved to storage, so they're accessible via file manager.

This. A particular part of a particular organ that's tucked away in the body is totally the same as something which is named right in front of you (rather than tucked away on your back under some skin).

the IT guy explains it verbally, so it's not in front of the customer at the time

>so it's not in front of the customer at the time
No,but due to something called "memory" you can know what something you've seen is after you have stopped seeing it.

i don't think the customer would understand what he's referring to with an explanation like "The thing you browse the Internet with." unless he would at least show them the screen and point the cursor to the browser icon

>i don't think the customer would understand what he's referring to with an explanation like "The thing you browse the Internet with."
Why fucking not? Would you be willing to make the argument that someone isn't expected to know what a steering wheel is without someone pointing at it?

Because they don't need it? That's like saying why don't you understand how to talk to women.

Fucking kill me now

"The thing I browse the Internet with? I only use my computer for that." or "Oh I think it's called Windows." or "I use wifi" or "I use google.com to search things and facebook.com to see pictures of my grandson"

Except the public respects doctors.

This almost sent me into a panic. I'm suddenly remembering all the professionals and their incidents of illiteracy. Seeing EE's who know nothing about software still confuses me.

It's me, yesterday user who deleted most of his dad's works because dad put docs in C:\Windows. Several years ago, dad (almost 70 years at that time) taught some elderly people (50-60 years) to use computers. Mostly typing in Word, and some basic email+internet. I'm amazed at how he managed to teach those elderly people. Some of the young ones (20 years) are complete morons when using computers. I must ask dad his method of teaching.

Now I know why he put the letter i in front of his products, iPod, iPad, iPhone. The letter i is for idiots.

You're making excuses for a level of tech illiteracy that I never thought I'd see on Jow Forums.

Doctors know about natural mechanisms that affect everybody. IT knows how to use bullshit designed by autistic people that will be obsolete in a few years.

a normalfag doesn't need to know what a web browser is called in order to use it

>Now I know why he put the letter i in front of his products, iPod, iPad, iPhone. The letter i is for idiots.
That sounds quite condescending. The thing is, if the user doesn't have to access the file system in order to effectively do whatever he is doing, there is no reason for him to even know what a folder is. And if the software can successfully manage files in the background, it can be efficient, aesthetic and intuitive for the user at the same time.

The discussion is about someone that doesn't know what a browser is. Why would you expect them to instantly know what you're talking about once you say "That thing you browse the internet with"?

Everything as a file is a dumb concept
A usb mouse showing up as a file in /dev/ makes no sense
Fortunately, Redox is here to fix that
Now, everything is a URI
And that makes perfect sense
Linux and C BTFO
Redox and Rust master race

>everything is a URI
>now your mouse is not a file
>it's a web page

Yeah, makes perfect sense

Autism

It's just confusing with some filesystems. Like why are only 4 extents directly adressable from i-node? Why is it in i-node and not the root node of extent tree?

>Every user at my workplace has a network drive to store stuff
>This prevents issues related to laptop failure/theft
>There are people that throw stuff all over the desktop and have empty user network drives
>They agreed to using the network drives when they were hired

Attached: 1523590837092.gif (540x304, 1.22M)

>It's just putting things in boxes what's hard to grasp?
That doesn't explain all the stuff that's already there. It's not the basic concepts that are confusing, but the structure that has already been built on top of it.

Do I look like I know what a jpeg is?

Attached: 1635401E-3807-44F6-914C-23DF09A664BE.jpg (640x481, 29K)

>This chick was a fifth year medicine student too, so you'd think she had some brains. Computer illiteracy is real.
>Seeing EE's who know nothing about software still confuses me.

This is what confuses me too. It's the same thing with my dad who has been using computers for practical purposes for over 30 years (though he's not quite that bad). I don't understand how it comes that ostensibly intelligent people don't naturally explore the tools they use every day.

jesus. and i thought i was dumb

It initially stood for Internet. There was the iMac, and later the eMac, the e for educational

Attached: jay-peg.jpg (960x864, 85K)

He's asking what web browser he uses, not the name of his CPU architecture.

Most traditional "pre-computer" office tools don't require exploration to use them effectively, there's no reason for someone who has never had to invest time into learning their tools to adjust seamlessly when they're suddenly required to do so on the job

Winfags just can't comprehend them.

what's hard to understand about a simple file hierarchy?

>it's a web page
No, it's a URL. You're still basically supplying a path parameter to a system call, it's just that this time, there's no expectation of something being a device file somewhere on the filesystem.

I've yet to see an idexing scheme smart enough to quickly find files sorted by genre, author, meme-type, resource type, and personal resources without requiring a ton of manual data tagging whenever anything is added to the system. Ironiclly enough, Itunes and music players are actually king here, but they do it by leaking all your audio files when they go to look shit up. If you want that auto indexing you need to manually sort into folder, tag everything yourself, or give up the privacy of anything you want indexed. Of those three folders are the best solution for ease of use for humans. Once local client side personal AI is big it will be tagging. Normies will consistently take the third option though and hook into Siri, Alexa, and Cortana for fucking everything.