/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G
>R3 2200G - Gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>G5400 - HTPC, web browsing, or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>i3 8100 - Budget gaming builds
>R5 2600/X or i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 2600 for multithread perf)
>R7 2700/X or i7 8700K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Attached: 1484348845011.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0rD2GHPLEbk
youtube.com/watch?v=bU_ojNtwk8s
pcpartpicker.com/list/9PF3yX
pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/22sd6h
pcpartpicker.com/product/2JVD4D/adata-xpg-sx6000-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx6000np-256gt-c
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/6TsW4q
pcpartpicker.com/list/yK24sZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/R8PGLJ
geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-430/specifications
youtu.be/ObLkzhoeLn8
pcpartpicker.com/list/MsB9r6
pcpartpicker.com/list/xmJGLJ
pcpartpicker.com/product/pHGj4D/asus-rog-swift-pg248q-240-180hz-monitor-rog-swift-pg248q
ebay.com/itm/PowerColor-Radeon-RX-Vega-64-DirectX-12-AXRX-VEGA-64-8GBHBM2-2D2H-OC-8GB-2048-Bi-/382409307401?hash=item59095ef509
pcpartpicker.com/list/tWLH29
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Relative perf (games)

Attached: perfrel_1920_1080.png (500x970, 47K)

Perf/dollar

Attached: perfdollar.png (500x970, 53K)

G5400 is slightly better than the G4560

Attached: 1507334266591.png (4000x2309, 3.03M)

NVMe don't actually improve boot times much. Around 5% at most compared to a fast SSD.
Only thing they really improve is large file transfer (like moving around and loading a lot of videos for video editing).

So no. Just get Mushkin Source, SU900, MX500, WD Blue, or any fast reliable SSD like those.

Personal preference.
Bad for content creators because lines aren't straight, but for everyone else it's just up to you.

sucks but yeah they're not going to exchange after half a year, I dont' think..

>recommending the $70 5400 for gaming when a 2200G is only $25 more.
die, shill, die.

Even the biggest Intel shill, Gamers Nexus, doesn't recommend the G5600 or 5400
youtube.com/watch?v=0rD2GHPLEbk

Your dumb shilling and cherry picking is out of control.

>die, shill, die.
Hey, you're the one recommending an user buy something he might not need. Pretty merchant-like if you ask me

>2700X OC
>worse than stock
>1700X
>worse than 1600X

shit graph with shit methodology backing it up

He's had shit like that pointed out for him in every thread he's made for weeks but he keeps reposting the same proven-bullshit crap over and over.

He's just a dumb shithead spammer. He's clearly paid to do this since everyone hates him yet he spams this shit anyway.

Good monitor to replace a recently bought vg248qe? I have an i5 4690k which I will replace soon and an rx 480 that I will maybe(?) replace. Asked in the previous thread but just got told to buy the freesync version. Basically I am asking what some good 144hz freesync monitors are. Thank you in advance.

2200G/1200 > G5400 and i3 8100

The only CPUs that should be listed in the orignal post are
2200G good cpu and GPU works well with a discrete gpu too
2600 great gaming or work for a budget
8700K best gaming performance
2700X best workload with great gaming performance
1950x max performance for thread applications

here is a i3 8100 vs 1200(basically same as 2200G)
youtube.com/watch?v=bU_ojNtwk8s

YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO COMPARE THE 1200 WHEN ITS STOCK TO LOCKED INTEL CPUS!!!!!!!!
How can the shills win if they don't keep to manipulate and rig the methodology in their favor?

>Gamers Nexus, doesn't recommend the G5600 or 5400
That's not what that video says, retard. They literally say at the end to wait for the upcoming benchmarks for the G5400 to make your decision about a low end CPU. They didn't test anything besides the G5600 in that video, which is obviously priced very close to the R3s and is never recommended around here.

>here is a i3 8100 vs 1200

Attached: PUBG CPU 1080p Ultra Medium Very Low-min.png (1928x3260, 702K)

Yeah, we know you hate Intel. Get over it

>all this delusion

Attached: civ6 turn times pentium vs r3.png (1920x1080, 858K)

>all this stupidity

Attached: aots escalation pentium vs r3.png (1920x1080, 915K)

I like how he gets called out for posting stock clock results on an unlocked CPU.
Then he posts more, CHERRY PICKED at that, stock clock results.

>no questions are getting answered because people are screaming about intel
Fun
Anyways is the corsair 460x overrated? Same with the nzxt 340

pcpartpicker.com/list/9PF3yX

Budget is around $800 USD, but I can go up to about $1,000 before my wife kills me.

I want this for gaming (1080 for now). I already have a 512 SSD GB (M.2), a couple of 1TB HDDs, and a decent monitor.

Any help is appreciated as this is my first build.

You or one of your AMDicksuckers linked the video, along with a lie about GN not recommending the G5600. I'm just posting screens from that video for the anons to see. Nice to know you're mad

>pcpartpicker.com/list/9PF3yX
Why pay $300 for a 1060 6gb when you can get the RX570 4GB for only $240? Performance is only like 5% worse while it's much less money.
Also get a better motherboard.
Also get a better PSU.
and Ram.
and CPU
You actually did everything wrong

pcpartpicker.com/user/oshirigami/saved/22sd6h actually fits your budget if you take out the SSD and get the 2600X for $210 from ebay sale linked in the previous thread.

>I'm just
>cherry picking the results I want to see
>and ignore the results I don't want to see
>so I can shill a shit overpriced and underperforming CPU

>i just
>don't know what cherry picking means
We've been over this. Can't cherrypick with averages

All of the reviews for that Asus B350 are saying it's shit. Are they wrong?

which is better: a 2tb seagate firecuda SSHD (8GB NAND) or a standard 2tb seagate + 120gb SSD Silicon S55? they come to around the same price so that's not a factor.

what im wondering is whether seagate's firmware is so good that it can allocate/optimize more efficiently with 8gb than i can manually with 120gb if that makes sense?

also, if a game is 50gb, how much of that 50gb is needed in the NAND partition to get faster load times? cuz the firecuda's 8gb seems like nothing at all

Attached: firecuda.jpg (300x300, 15K)

>SSHD
They're poorly performing an unreliable

>120gb
Poor $/GB. ~250GB is where an SSD purchase starts to get worth it.
$73 SX6000 is a great SSD
pcpartpicker.com/product/2JVD4D/adata-xpg-sx6000-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx6000np-256gt-c

Newegg user reviews seemed decent to me. It's certainly better than MSI PC Mate.
You might want to get an X470 board since it seems about on the edge of your budget (taking off SSD, case, and getting the 2600X a bit cheaper from the ebay listing).
ASUS Pro, Strix, and ASRock Master I think are all good boards in the ~$150 range. Though they're ATX, if you care.

SSHD are awful. Use StoreMi for better speeds affordably with more storage.

My build is going to have a Noctua nh-d15 for the couch cooler and a EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid gpu wise, planning to use for gaming. Where should I put my radiator? I can't decide between back or front/output intake respectively.

*Cpu cooler not couch

I'll definitely look into that, thank you.

Just don't have radiator blowing INTO your case. As long as you don't do that, as long as you have the fan blowing through the radiator and out of your case, anywhere you place it is fine.

The next least ideal thing is to put it behind the CPU cooler, since warmer air will blow off that. But that's less of a big deal because you're at least you're not fucking up case ambient temps (and VRM temps as a result) by blowing hot radiator air into case.

Attached: pcgamer.png (600x774, 164K)

guys help
i have become too accustomed to having 2 screens
what do? i want a single ultrawide ips because colors>>fps for me but shit's too expense

pls help i want to have a single display again, it is just so much easier to use

Will a B350 mobo work with a R5 2600X? I'm building a PC for my little brother's birthday and I have 1k-1.3k budget.

Also improve my list
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/6TsW4q

Attached: cart.png (1201x593, 44K)

>Will a B350 mobo work with a R5 2600X?
not out-of-the-box, no. you will have to update the bios by yourself using an old and compatible processor or you can have it updated on a computer parts shop

Help me buy a desktop. I program in .net (I have a few existing applications I maintain) and have been programming in Scala for work and I want to start my own side projects with Scala.

Help me with a desktop Jow Forums. I just know how to code. I don't follow the hardware.

I'd spend less on the processor and more on the graphics card if he's going to be gaming.

Alright guys, I'm looking to build a gaming PC from scratch on a budget of around $1500. I'd like a 1080 and a 2k monitor. Can this be done with decent parts or am I lowballing?

You won't get a gsync 2k monitor to go with the GTX 1080 in that budget, no.

$1050 gets you a RX570 and 75hz 1080p monitor.
$1300 or so gets you an RX580 and 144hz 1440p monitor.
Gsync monitors are going to cost an extra $100-$300 more, so you already blew your budget and have nothing left over to replace the RX580 with a 1080 right there.

Use pcpartpicker
Find some parts you want within your budget
Post it here and you'll be told whether you're overspending or understanding on components

The general rule is a 3rd of your budget should go towards your GPU which should be your most expensive component, the CPU should be your 2nd most expensive component followed by RAM, motherboard, case (with good sound dampening), power supply and then any other peripherals such as extra fans, CPU cooler if required etc.

>amd gpu
>2018

Enjoy paying 5x the msrp. Nvidia GPU are at least dropping in price now. I can pick up 1060s/1070s/1080s for around msrp now in Europe.

How's it feel to be so retarded and you can't look up the price of something and can only spout dead memes?

ASUS ROG STRIX E-Gaming vs. Aorus Gaming 5 for Mobo in a gaming PC with an i7-8700k and 1080?

Based on AMD motherboards, I'd assume anything less than K7 is garbage for Gigabyte, and that you should go with Strix. Things could be different on Intel chipset, though.

How's it feel to be so retarded and you can't look up the price of something and can only spout dead memes about gtx 1080 build with gsync monitor being 1300 bucks?

pcpartpicker.com/list/yK24sZ
Here use this. You have some money left over for a case of choice. With a nice case and after rebates you're probably looking at around $1550 unless you just want a budget $30 case.

I meant
>$1300 or so gets you an RX580 and 144hz 1440p monitor.

>tfw RAM used to be inconsequential in budgeting
>now it's like the 3rd most expensive thing in my build after GPU and CPU, not including monitors

fucking price fixers

>calls someone else retarded
>posts build with no SSD and 8GB of memory
I don't have a reaction face for this level of retarded

Attached: 1522982128039.jpg (481x554, 44K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/R8PGLJ

Any feedback on this build? Will be my 2nd pc for light gaming and work.

Thank you in advance

Listen up moron, we all know this is your first day here from /v/ so get the facts straight. You prioritise GPU and CPU over all else as these are meant to be the longest running components in any build. Anything else like SSD or extra RAM modules can be upgraded at a later date as it's literally plug-and-play tier upgrade. Only some colossal failed abortion (such as yourself) would make someone downgrade to a fucking AyyMD RX 580 in favour of 16gb RAM and SSD in the initial build.

Attached: 1480874421874.jpg (480x720, 45K)

>gaslighting on Jow Forums

Attached: 28168186_723991387989454_621292139453741154_n.jpg (960x540, 70K)

>SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply and Phanteks - ENTHOO EVOLV SHIFT Mini ITX Tower Case are not compatible

Why would I want Gsync? I honestly dont even know what it does

It does the same thing that Freesync monitors do, except costs $100-$300 more. But Nvidia doesn't support Freesync. That's it.

How do I tell if my graphics card supports 3 monitors? I have an NVvidia GeForce GT 430 ( geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-430/specifications ) that I bought many years ago. It has 3 connectors: VGA, DVI, and HDMI. But does having 3 connectors mean that 3 monitors will automatically work? (I use only 2 monitors currently, but wanna get a third.)

Attached: 3_monitors.jpg (4032x3024, 722K)

>But does having 3 connectors mean that 3 monitors will automatically work
no, iirc.
You have to check the card specs. It should say how many it supports.

Stops screen tearing and stuttering because it adapts the refresh rate of the monitor to your in game fps. Some people notice this stuff and others don't. It's down to preference. It definitely does help at low sub 60 fps though.
Also
gsync = Nvidia only
Freesync = amd branding for their driver support of DP 1.2 Variable Framerate Control

Nowadays you basically just have to go with gysnc as Nvidia are the only viable and worthwhile option in the GPU space, especially for the high end (assuming you want a tear free experience). Vega 64 is the 1080 equivalent but it sucks real bad.
youtu.be/ObLkzhoeLn8

I honestly dont know what that is either. Best I can figure it somehow syncs your graphics card with your monitor so you dont get weird frame rate variations?

Vega64 does not suck.
Given that Vega64 is only $80 more than a 1080, yet monitor is $100-$300 less, it's cheaper and better.
Dumb shill.

Look up videos of what Freesync does. Digital Foundry has good ones.
GSync is Nvidia's proprietary Freesync which costs $100-$300 more because fuck you.

Attached: relative performance.png (785x504, 50K)

If I get a 1080 does it even matter about gsync because I'll probably be getting 100+ fps on max settings with any game?

At 100fps, you will usually not notice tearing, no that is true.
But the 1080 actually only gets down to 70fps in parts of Witcher3 on Ultra.
Granted, you can also just play games on "high" instead of Ultra. Most games don't look perceivable difference on high (or very high) instead of their max setting.

Most people consider it a must have due to, say, future titles which may be more demanding, though.
Also almost every new monitor model is either Freesync or Gsync, so getting a non-sync monitor means getting an old one that likely has worse response time (which can mean ghosting), worst color gamut coverage, worse connector support (lacking lasting HDMI or DP standard), etc.

You'll get screentearing and it'll be really obvious in any game that has lightning in them

Variable sync (gsync & freesync) are only for those people who just want to crank the settings up to max and don't want the eye sore of screen tearing and stuttering when they drop from 140 fps to 50 fps in demanding games. It's also for people who have OCD for that stuff in general.

If you look at the 2 most popular 144hz monitors in the world right now it's the benq xl2411 and the Asus vg248qe, both of which don't have any variable sync technology at all. I personally have used a gtx 970 with a benq xl2411 and didn't notice any tearing at all in games like witcher 3 at around 70 fps in novigrad on ~ultra settings. I did however notice stuttering every now and then but you will probably get used to it after a while as it wasn't very noticeable to the point you can't get used to the occasional millisecond hitch in a long gaming session.
My advice to you would be just get a 1080 and a non gsync monitor maybe like an mg279q 1440p 144hz IPS or similar. I doubt you'd notice tearing or find it bothersome if it happens. You could always just lock your monitor refresh to 60, 75, 120 if you're getting tearing.

Who says any monitor is an absolute requirement for any gpu? You do realize that less than 1% of steam gamers utilize freesync/gsync right?

I did check, but they don't say.

What are the best GPUs that still have a dac?

Oh yeah also a 1080 isn't going to give you 100 fps max settings at 1440p bud. You'll get that in multiplayer games like fortnite, bf1 etc but good luck even hitting 60 fps at 1440p constantly with a 1080 in games like a.c. origins

pcpartpicker.com/list/MsB9r6

Any improvements for this upgrade? Will be playing WoW and some steam games nothing crazy. By improvements I mean better price per performance replacements. I'm trying to get the cost down a bit.

All the missing stuff like GPU , Monitor, HDD I already have and will not be replacing at this time.

Attached: 006.jpg (815x1200, 249K)

>Stops screen tearing and stuttering because it adapts the refresh rate of the monitor to your in game fps. Some people notice this stuff and others don't

>tfw I only found adaptive sync could do this like 2 weeks ago
Needless to say I really want a g-sync monitor but at the same time I want to upgrade to 1440p/144hz if I do get a new monitor.

Wait for the new 3440x1440p gsync 200hz HDR10 and 4k 144hz HDR10 monitors to release because it'll either be a nice upgrade for you depending on how much they will be or they'll at least decrease the price of some existing monitors as they slot into the market. They're expected to drop later this year around Q4.

Q4? Shit I wanted to upgrade some time around Q3 assuming nvidia's next cards come out around that time. I think I might just buy one monitor around Q3 and then get another around Q4 when those monitors come out.

If you're going to get a monitor just get a cheap 1080p 144hz one since there's loads going for like $180 and then just relegate it to a second side monitor when the new ones come out. Having 2 144hz monitors is also optimal since going from 144hz to 60hz between 2 monitors is kinda jarring. For me anyway. It feels like using the 2nd monitor is just slow.

that's a good short term option, 1440p/144hz is still pretty damn steep and I value responsiveness over resolution

>navigating your computer by sound alone

That is weird.
Try wikipedia?
Like I know all GCN eyefinity support 6 displays. It's just the R7 250 and 240 which only support 2, which I think aren't listed as having eyefinity support.
For Nvidia GPUs, I have no clue. Their obfuscation of features is a lot of the reason why I don't buy Nvidia.

I checked Nvidia specs for the card, and still don't see anything about maximum number of displays. Just resolution. But forums are saying that ALL Nvidia GPUs as of 2011 (Fermi is older that) only support 2 displays.

1080p?

You could always go for an ultrawide 21:9 1080p monitor. I've seen a lot of people recommending them recently and there are some good value ones which are IPS and 144hz as well as being 2560x1080 so it's still really easy to drive compared to even a regular 16:9 1440p monitor. You'd probably lose maximum 10% of your normal fps but you're gaining so much more visual real estate for your competitive games whilst also having 144hz which is just brilliant imo.

Anything Kepler and above from gtx 6xx supports 3+ monitors.

Suggestions?

pcpartpicker.com/list/xmJGLJ

Looking to play FPS games like CS:GO, PUBG, and single player RPGs on max settings in the future.

He's the single worst retarded faggot who shills for that retarded garbage, even the biggest dicksucking intel shills don't recommend pentium anymore.

GPU and monitor don't match. This combination will not give you the best possible experience.
Either pair the 1070 with a Gsync monitor or get the meme 240 Hz monitor and a Vega.

>$180 case
>750W PSU
Do you have a super overclocked 1080ti?

Also nearly $700 for a 1070 is insanity.
I got my 1080 Ti for less than 800€ a year ago.

>that powercolor vega 56
Based

That monitor isn't freesync capable.

thanks, suggestions for a monitor?

yeah, maybe should just up to a 1080, it's like $70 more

Then it's trash in any case.

Mg279q

pcpartpicker.com/product/pHGj4D/asus-rog-swift-pg248q-240-180hz-monitor-rog-swift-pg248q
This one has G-Sync, which is a must if you have a high end Nvidia card.

Also, I see loads of $400 1070s and $550 1080s on that site, get one of these.

Reminder Intel doesn't give a shit about your security just for performance sake. Now the meltdown and spectre patches are eating away at their performance little by little.

Currently have a 1600 in Asus Prime X 370 Pro with 8gb of 3000 Corsair vengeance. I'm about to upgrade to 2700X and want to get 16gb of 3400+ ram with solid timings. Would I need to get a x470 board for the improved memory compatibility?

Also any suggestions for the memory kit?

Newegg ebay still has the Vega64 Red Devil for $630
>ebay.com/itm/PowerColor-Radeon-RX-Vega-64-DirectX-12-AXRX-VEGA-64-8GBHBM2-2D2H-OC-8GB-2048-Bi-/382409307401?hash=item59095ef509
Dunno how you wound up with a $680 1070Ti in your pcpartspicker
Vega64+Freesync is cheaper than 1080+gsync.

Reference Vega56 was just severely under-clocked since it what only made to compete with the 1070.

Can we ignore the vega 64 shill. Even their beloved adoredtv called it a housefire and told everyone to stay away from it like the plague.

1070 ti
1080 ti

That's it.

>Also any suggestions for the memory kit?
Always Samsung b-die. 3600+ MHz

Vega 56 performs a bit better than both 1070 and 1070ti...

i thought the memory controller was on the chip, not the motherboard

Thank you for this info!

Shut up goy

thats why I want to switch to amd

Thanks guys, so getting a 1080 Ti seems super expensive right now. If I splurge the extra $$ for it, should I upgrade/change anything else?

pcpartpicker.com/list/tWLH29

From looking at 10 or so different online benchmarks, no, it does not.