Freedom

On a scale of Microsoft to Richard Stallman, how serious are you about the whole software and hardware freedom thing? Pic related, although it's definitely not the end of the scale I'm on.

Attached: obligatory rs picture.jpg (610x400, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.en.html#whyorder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think it's pretty important and will become more important. I don't enjoy microsoft crap but still rely on it for some things (video gamez) and the occasional C# or VB program I have to debug...

Do most real work / dev on *nix or mac - not 100% that all uses *free* software in terms of FSF / stallman but it's closer.

And think more and more freedom respecting software will be becoming more and more important.

>Free software developers guarantee >everyone
>equal rights to their programs; any user can >study the source code, modify it, and share >the program. By contrast, most software >carries fine print that denies users these >basic rights, leaving them susceptible to the >whims of its owners and vulnerable to >surveillance.

imo Having to learn proprietary closed source software is annoying and short sighted.

Attached: xikagoedtnvx.jpg (1920x1080, 124K)

I prefer to use free software wherever possible, however I am not opposed to using nonfree software. I am opposed to paying for (or watching ads in support for) nonfree software.

I used to care less, but as I've put in more years as a programmer I've moved closer to stallman. I've built so many variations of things you _know_ are solved already. It makes me sad that most of that work will never see the light of day, and it doesn't make much sense either. Almost none of code was company secret tier. I want the standard to be open source, with closed source being the odd one.

Actually it is called "Linux/GNU".

My first concern is how arrogant the software is. I tolerate iOS even though it gets on my nerves sometimes. I use it on my device because >muh family and also >muh phone number

If software is arrogant like Windows 10, my next course of action is to determine if I can make it tolerable and somewhat privacy respecting. If the answer is no I don’t use it.

On my personal laptops and desktops I go out of my way to make them as libre as possible, if possible. I don’t care much about proprietary shit in the kernel since none of it is used on a librebooted machine with a libre internet card, so I’ll use distros like Void or Alpine over Trisquel or Parabola for other reasons.

However if not libre-compatible at the hardware level (not libreboot compatible) then I’m not opposed to using stripped-down Win7 or 8.1 since the libre-virginity is already lost.

I always prefer the freedom-respecting option and feel it needs to be supported but recognize my personal usage of it or not is entirely personal and does not change the future of free software.

I stick with free software as long as it's not massively inconvenient for me to do so.
e.g. my laptop requires a nonfree wireless driver in order to have internet.

Most of the time, libre software is better than nonlibre for the things I need to do. Almost every instance where this is not the case it's because of vendor lockdown or tivoization or some other faggotry. 9 times out of 10, proprietary shit is bloated, buggy, and non-customizable. This includes Windows and MacOS, both of which I've used extensively and found to be pretty unstable when it comes to dev work (on windows you get the classic BSODs, on Mac you get shit like non kill -9 -able processes and package installer freezes that fuck your system over). Whereas Linux literally just works. I've never seen the same kinds of retarded bugs in libre software that I've seen in proprietary shit.
That said, the unfortunate reality is that we have to live with buggy bloated shit that we can't get rid of unless we go full autism with a Memepad or something. I don't necessarily agree with everything Stallman stands for, especially since he tends to be an abrasive asshole, but when I have a choice, I choose the software that works, and that overwhelmingly tends to be free software.

):

I always use free software if I can sometimes for example at work that isn't possible but I more or less always make my code open source

I only use FSF approved GNU/Linux distros.

>However if not libre-compatible at the hardware level (not libreboot compatible) then I’m not opposed to using stripped-down Win7 or 8.1 since the libre-virginity is already lost.
Even if your model doesn't support libreboot, a Linux distro is still a viable option. Unless you instinctively install Windows because of the lack of it, you are making a good choice by installing your preferred distro.

I'm like a 8/10 on the Stallman scale. I run Gentoo and strongly prefer to use Free alternatives, followed by open source if nothing Free fits the bill. I only use proprietary software if absolutely necessary, and I will deal with a fair bit of hardship and sacrifice features to do so (GIMP, for instance).

That said, I am not totally dogmatic about it - I run some games in WINE and use the closed nVidia drivers on my desktop. However, on balance, Free software is an unalloyed good, one of the best things happening in the world today, and worth putting up with some inconvenience for.

Looking for good reasons to start switching up my workflow to free software alternatives. Is it possible to use (almost) entirely free software while still getting shit done? How serious are you with free software, and what are you doing on your personal laptop?

no it's not. People on Jow Forums are unemployed neets with little to none tech knowledge aside ricing stuff and animes and/or way to disguise themselves in the web to hide their CP

but in the real world people install stuff to fulfil a purpose and earn money consequently. So just use what you think it's best for the job

It is right and proper to mention the principal contribution first. The GNU contribution to the system is not only bigger than Linux and prior to Linux, we actually started the whole activity.

In addition, “GNU/Linux” fits the fact that Linux is the lowest level of the system and GNU fills technically higher levels.

However, if you prefer to call the system “Linux/GNU”, that is a lot better than what people usually do, which is to omit GNU entirely and make it seem that the whole system is Linux.
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.en.html#whyorder

>Is it possible to use (almost) entirely free software while still getting shit done?
Yes. Easily. What are you trying to do?
Fuck off, Rakesh.

In my last job I worked as a sysadmin at a major telco company.

Almost every single software, security system, or script they used was proprietary. It felt horrible. People were completely dependent on companies to develop for them and I was locked down. I could not develop anything useful. It dumed down the workers and made them much less tech-savvy. Every time they had a tech problem they just called the company responsible and never fixed it themselves. The company's network was filled with proprietaty security products because of all the malware and it made stuff even worse.

In my current job I work as a developer at a startup and moat of our ecosystem is FOSS. It's so much better.

that really depends on what are you trying to do, if it's programming, systems administration or something like that it can be done easily. If it's something like photoshop or some other faggotry like that then you may want to keep using windows or macshit

You can get the same outcomes as Photoshop with free software.

90% I'd say. The small amount of proprietary stuff I use is in a VM.

Going full freedom on desktop isn't a problem anymore nowadays. The real problem are smartphones.

I'm closer to Stallman than to Microsoft.

there's a project by (forgot the name), who work on a libre phone. Purism?

I'm a pragmatist. So on a scale of MS to RMS, I'm somewhere near Linus.

I like the idea but the problems that come with being "free" greatly outweigh the possible botnet.

It's ironic how by being "free" you limit yourself so much.

So at Microsoft.

Attached: Linus-torvalds-with-Microsoft-800x450.jpg (800x450, 73K)

How's freedom limiting? If you use something without freedom, you have no freedom.

Because you can't do things other people can?
If you just look at the list of things stallman considers "non-free" then you can't use pretty much any popular thing in 2018.

Even if you take it down a notch and only use linux instead of windows you're still limiting yourself to not being able to do basic things like use Photoshop or play games.

And no ">playing games" and ">using photoshop" is not an argument, because there's many other things such as drivers for specialized hardware and modern tools which do not exist for linux but do for windows, things like audio equipment etc is not fully functional on linux.

i'm more concerned with the Open Web. if our software is mostly Web-based, then the OS itself won't matter much. having OS-specific binaries and vendor-specific app stores is bullshit. at the very least there should be no distinction between a native app and a Web app instead of having a "desktop environment" and a separate "browser window".

Attached: hE826C928.jpg (500x553, 62K)

GNU/Linux*

Went from full Microsoft to Stallman Jr in a few weeks thanks to my linuxfag best friend.
I've been on Win7 for years and installed Parabola GNU/Linux on my laptop, which I'm now using 90% of the time.
Honestly I think I'm ready to start using it fulltime once I get my new PC. I was gonna install win7 since I don't want to get win8/10, but if you're gonna use free software might as well go fully free.
I just hope I won't crack and install Wine after a few months. Free software is nice, but on the games side once you've played Super Tux Kart, Hedgewars and 0AD there's not much else of interest.

Attached: Richard Starman.png (517x900, 355K)

> claims freedom
> supports 2 million lines of unaudited code
The guy is worthless

every second I think about questions like these, I am going away from a normal life and normal people.

The use of "free" in a sense that computer devices equates in any way shape or form your actual real world freedom is dumb.
No one outside of FSF cares.

>basic rights
Your interaction with a device, software or misc has nothing to do with rights.

I would describe myself as 6/10 freetard, I think. I would like to go to 9/10 (hardware non-free), but it takes A LOT of sacrifices. Not even sure if its possible as long as I am in uni

Attached: best.jpg (1200x900, 176K)

Your blog is shit, dude. It bored me after four words. never read past "my first concern is". Go to creative writing classes
how do I unsubscribe?

>games side
>linux
>free software games
l u l

I use free if there is good software available. If the only serviceable option is non-free, then I use that.

I'm not serious enough. I use windows and other applications on windows that I know aren't free. I also use websites and file formats that I know aren't free. I try to use FOSS whenever I have the option of choosing something that's free or something that's proprietary. However I also think just because something is FOSS that doesn't mean it's instantly something that respects your privacy more than a proprietary application. You can have something that is free and open source that just straight up tells you it's collecting it's data. While that is an ethical ecosystem in the case that no one is being led astray by their software. It does mean that the end user has to be able to modify the software to stop it from collecting data and needs that skillset.

Meanwhile you could have a proprietary piece of software that's specifically designed to increase your privacy and deal with the problems other proprietary software creates.