CRITICAL PGP, S/MIME VULNERABILITIES, THIS IS NOT A DRILL

HOW IS THERE NOT A THREAD YET HOLY SHIT eff.org/deeplinks/2018/05/attention-pgp-users-new-vulnerabilities-require-you-take-action-now

Attached: file.png (593x280, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/critical-pgp-and-smime-bugs-can-reveal-encrypted-e-mails-uninstall-now/
lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2018-May/060315.html
twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/995941110567571456
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>might
>no details

Most likely overblown, and if they're releasing it, already patched.

>Sebastian Schnitzel
>Schnitzel
>An actual fucking Schnitzel

HOLY SHIT

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/critical-pgp-and-smime-bugs-can-reveal-encrypted-e-mails-uninstall-now/
>The Internet’s two most widely used methods for encrypting e-mail--PGP and S/Mime--are vulnerable to hacks that can reveal the plaintext of encrypted messages, a researcher warned late Sunday night. He went on to say there are no reliable fixes and to advise anyone who uses either encryption standard for sensitive communications to remove them immediately from e-mail clients.

>The flaws “might reveal the plaintext of encrypted emails, including encrypted emails you sent in the past,” Sebastian Schinzel, a professor of computer security at Münster University of Applied Sciences, wrote on Twitter. “There are currently no reliable fixes for the vulnerability. If you use PGP/GPG or S/MIME for very sensitive communication, you should disable it in your email client for now.”

well shit
thanks NSA

came to say this.

Fucking NASA

It's going to require physical access to at least one machine.

> trusting MIME
> ever

Don't tell Ecuador

>these vulnerabilities pose an immediate risk to those using these tools for email communication
So it has something to do with tool that use PGP not PGP itself? I use GPG to encrypt my backups I store "in the cloud". I'm not sure if I should worry.

>ASCII armor unrelated
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2

jA0ECQMCWUJ9SaLRVzze0lUBT3L6boKj7Ji837hC5ISyqsy8KWC6XyL5KV7unlmP
Vq63+SRXc0XhCEB2XAUNpRGuIEuawxRu58qHpMAkjF/nhXpXLUlKShp+RhkDa3MG
5gslhvEQ
=CZKx
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2018-May/060315.html

don't worry folks, it's not that bad

brainlet here
how do I encrypt my emails with pgp? Just copy and paste the code I got from pgp website at the end of the website? lol wtf

It's overblown, you shouldn't have html enabled in your mail client anyway.

twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/995941110567571456

Fuck off

It is not a bug in PGP.
Some clients will execute external HTML at the same time as decryption occurs. The problem is you can add on these malicious HTML calls to legitimate encrypted messages. GPG had already implemeneted an authentication method a decade ago. Some clients have failed to implement it properly and will still execute the HTML when giving the authentication error state.

> if they're releasing it, already patched.
Still mean you need to patch it, the problem is most likely not solved.
Maybe you need to upload new keys or something.

Meh, it's entirely mitigateable by simply not having your client not automatically load external links and checking links before clicking on them.

Uhm.... I might end up in jail after this, I deleted all my emails but I fear the worst. Goodbye cruel world.

Attached: 1491631806377.jpg (600x568, 39K)

>>ASCII armor
gpg: AES256 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
gpg: decryption failed: Bad session key

i suck at this

bump

>my backups
their backups now

If you're going to use encryption technology you should at least have a basic understanding of how public key encryption works, first. Pretty much

1) Bob and Alice wish to communicate. Both Bob and Alice generate PGP keypairs. Each Keypair contains a public key and a private key.
2) Bob and Alice store their private keys in a very secure location. They email copies of their public keys to each other.
3) Bob writes an email to Alice, encrypting it with the copy of her public key she sent to him and he emails it to her
4) Alice receives Bob's encrypted email and decrypts it with her private key

Now lets say a hacker uses a man in the middle attack to get a copy of the encrypted email. Since he does not have a copy of Alice's private key, he cannot decrypt it and loses at life.

To answer your question for how to use PGP, if you're using windows, GPG4win is a decent GUI. You can also use Thunderbird and the PGP extension, to make it quicker and more integrated. Of course, using extensions and more detailed front end software gives you more attack surface for bugs, so ideally, you'd not be a pleb and just encrypt messages via the linux command line instead.

Attached: GoAnywhereMFT_OpenPGP-Diagram_web.png.png (675x550, 121K)

So basically it's shitty programming.
Probably done by pajeets.

god damn fucking nasa

Microsoft BTFO

Hehe hopefully this means we get more Hillary emails out.

Open source: not even once.

Thanks for this explanation.

abcd1234

>announce exploit
>don't inform the exploitable software developer
can somebody go sock this Shitzel

Today, information about the Efail vulerability was released. This weakness was adressed in Enigmail 2.0, released in March 2018. Unfortunately, this vulnerability does not only cover Enigmail, but also Thunderbird. Thunderbird is not yet completely fixed today; the developers are still working on fixing the vulnerabiliy on their side.

I therefore recommend that you install the latest versions of Thunderbird and Enigmail (currently 52.7 and 2.0.3 respectively), and disable viewing HTML mails in Thunderbird via menu View > Message Body as > Plain Text. This will prevent you from any form of the the vulnerability described. Furthermore, once Thunderbird 52.8 will be released, I recommend to upgrade as soon as possible.

PGP isn't open source though.

We need a name and a logo stat!

Attached: 1525554652788.jpg (479x407, 20K)

gpg: AES256 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
This is dumb, really dumb.