/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1526288661443.png (2765x3541, 475K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Internationalization/Japanese
askubuntu.com/questions/62492/how-can-i-change-the-date-modified-created-of-a-file
github.com/Paris/IronAHK
github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

install ROX-Filer

What's a wm that doesn't automatically tile windows but lets me arrange them into a grid-like system like the tiling managers do? Like, I want to drag and drop windows into a certain "portion of the desktop" and it willdo the tile thing.

dear rolling distro users:

>how frequent do you upgrade your system?
>how much time do you spend on maintaining the system in a usable state?and how frequent do you do it?
>do you read bug reports before upgrade any software?
>distro you use (if you want to tell me)

i am a newb and i am thinking about using a rolling distro (in a vm)
thanks for your response

>>how frequent(ly) do you upgrade your system?
Every day.
>how much time do you spend on maintaining the system in a usable state?( A)nd how frequent(ly) do you do it?
I haven't had to do it once in the past 12 months.
Yes. That is always a good idea.
Arch and Parabola.

>fairly new to linux
>install ubuntu and have a good time
>upgrade because what could go wrong
I learned my lesson, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Attached: 1519824291726.jpg (480x418, 18K)

Ubuntu is botnet.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Internationalization/Japanese

should I use uim and mozc, or something else?

Attached: 1526195078044.jpg (872x872, 98K)

mozc for sure, but I don't know about ibus or uim

everyday, so I usually can get away with updating only a few packages
>how much time do you spend on maintaining the system in a usable state?
maybe I'm just lucky or debian sid is this fucking good, but never had to do it. I also ALWAYS read what apt wants to remove if it wants to remove and if those are not superseded packages I delay the upgrade until said packages gets updated and won't be marked for removal.
>and how frequent do you do it?
never
No. Shit with known bugs won't even get in debian sid.
debian sid :^)

Will changing the contents of a file also change the ctime as well as the mtime?

hello nibbas,
I plugged in my vga and my hdmi on my laptop (intel igpu and novidia via bumblebee) and the hdmi is not visible via arandr.
I run xrandr -q and it shows the edp(laptop screen) and vga connected.
the hdmi is disconnected.
I run xrandr --listproviders, it shows one provider(igpu) but it has access to all 3 outputs.
what do?

>mtime
only mtime. ctime is unaffected.
all of those are able to change
check dis askubuntu.com/questions/62492/how-can-i-change-the-date-modified-created-of-a-file

i've use uim because of emacs, but I don't know if the other are better outside of emacs.

start with a more robust distro, e.g. debian stable.
then move to a more versatile distro, e.g. debia testing.
then ascend to a rolling distro, e.g. debian sid
debian is the universal OS.

This might be a niche question to ask, but to those that were gamers on Windows, what pushed you to Linux?
I've been going through categorizing my more played games recently, and found out that a lot of them list Linux support, which is a pretty cool thing to see. Only 4 of the games I've currently got installed don't, so it's not losing anything if WINE doesn't work well on them.
I'm going to get around to messing with varying distros via virtualbox to see what sort of environment and experience is right for me, but I was curious what the reason as to why you'd leave Windows from a gaming point of view, and jumping on Linux, and which distro is generally the advisable for a newbie.

Finally decided to switch to linux after windows 10 fucked up on my T420. I have fedora linux running on my usb, had to remove my hard drive because when it is plugged in for some reason always tries to boot into windows 10 recovery tools. How do I make it stop booting into the windows 10 recovery tools the instant I plug in the hard drive? Kinda new to all this. Any help appreciated!

Attached: 32718484_1661645830623014_3147729648033464320_n.jpg (500x650, 41K)

If you are not a dev don't fucking bother lmao. Just stay in the sheepie botnet it's easier for you. Some people are not meant to think "deeply" if you know what I mean.

Stay st00pid it's all good bro. Play your games and fry your brain on wind0ws.

change primary boot device via bios, or press f12 during POST screen to change boot device on the fly

While the drive is plugged in I can't go into the bios though thats the problem, it just automatically tries to repair itself

What is a good distro for someone who is finally leaving windows because I can't handle w10?

I don't want to go full Arch I just want something to browse the internet mostly.

connect the hard drive to another computer and remove windows.
Simple USB "racks" for 2,5" laptop HDDs are available for as low as $10.

Just get Ubuntu. Check out the alternate desktop versions (kubuntu, ubuntu-mate, xubuntu, lubuntu) too, grab whichever looks better. All has access to the same set of software.

is there any good bar for tiling wms that allow gradient colors? don't think I've seen it in any ricing screenshots

I replaced xfwm with bspwm. But now I can't open the xfce "window Manager" and "Window Manager Tweaks" from the settings panel. I'm reading that it's because xfwm isn't running.

How do I fix this?

So is it the Year of Btrfs RAID56 yet? I keep seeing nice-sounding things going into recent kernels and supposedly the awful data-loss bug has gotten fixed. There any truth to that? Is it okay now? Or are things still fucked?

>just use ZFS
immutable vdevs
>just use mdadm
no checksumming, hence no self-healing, or proper scrubbing

Attached: 1507005506821.gif (591x605, 70K)

>open gif
>wait

Wait 60 seconds and she blinks twice.

Now that I can't launch scripts from GNOME anymore what should I use?

Windows

I can't launch linux software from explorer.exe either.

del system32 should enable it

Managed to get into bios and disabled every boot option except from usb. Thanks for the reply though!

Attached: 1485280393196.gif (578x818, 166K)

I know it isn't specifically Linux, but I have a problem with android and I cant find any help anywhere
I am trying to save a Dropbox folder form the app to my phone, but my internal storage is almost full so I want to use my SD card instead.
Problem is just that my SD isnt being displayed as an option to save my files to and the dropbox help page says I need to "push the menu button", but there is no menu button anywhere.

Any help anyone? this is starting to drive me nuts.

Also, can I set dropbox so that it only saves to SD card when creating local copies?

Wget it through termux.

How do I force Wine to run a program in DX10 instead of DX11?

The game in question is supposed to use DX10 as fallback automatically if DX11 is not supported in the machine. however, if I disable DX11 in winecfg options for said program, it just fails to launch.

Is there some way to make the program think DX11 is not available at all so it falls back to DX10?

Is Linux Mint better than Ubuntu for a noob distro?

No
Use Ubuntu

It's been quite a while since I used WINE but why not just make a wine prefix specifically for that game and simply don't even install dx11 into that prefix?

Problem is, I'm not installing DX11. It is just part of Wine nowadays, I think. Either that or the game checks if it can install it on first Steam launch and then does it, I'm not sure.

Hold down back button

There's a glapi registry entry that you can try setting low.

Is dbus good, or is it a bug-riddled piece of shit like systemd?

I installed ubuntu (ubuntu minimal CD), and at the end installed grub. However upon boot I get what I believe is a grub rescue screen (a terminal). However if I type exit, then I believe CTRL+ALT+1 I get to a terminal where I can login and startx. Is there a way I can reinstall grub "properly" so my machine boots properly?

Daily
>how much time do you spend on maintaining the system in a usable state?and how frequent do you do it?
None, I spend an afternoon on getting jt the way Iwanted (i3, writing programs for my multimedia keys etc). I dont have to do anything to keep it usable or dtable. I like changing up the i3 theme so I spend about an hour at most every week to change up the colours/wallpaper a bit.
I do not. Ive been using Arch for about a year now and they only thing I can remember """"broke""""" was a js52 thing when running a full sys upgrade. It told me that there already was a js52 file somewhere. A quick google turned out just about everyone had the same problen that day. I could just delete or rename the old file and everything worked buttery smooth again.
Arch

What about changing the OS setting in winecfg to windows xp or something that doesn't support dx11?

You should also try to look up whether it can be done through the Steam "launch options" which you access by right-clicking the game in your steam library. Some games (especially Valve games) have options like "-dx10" that will force it to use what you want.

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg?

I have been using Kubuntu 17.10 for few months, everything was working fine. Decided to upgrade to 18.04 and now Kubuntu always boots to a black screen. I have tries few solutions that i found on google but nothing worked. Give it to me straight Jow Forumsents can it still be saved?

Attached: 1424991401624s.jpg (240x232, 7K)

That's not a grub terminal, that's text mode Linux. Grub doesn't have vtys to switch between nor can it support an x session. You need to fix your userspace, not grub. Since you installed minimal you probably don't have a display manager installed.

update-grub on Debian based systems.

Thats why I personally dont like non-rolling distros. Shit tends to break when going from big release to big release.
Ive always just reinstalled the new big release back when I was running non-rolling.
Maybe a shit answer but there ya go.

Please answer.
I'm deciding whether to try "IWD" out.

install gentoo

Tried all this, didn't work
I've tried contacting the devs to see if they offer some other manual launch option to force dx10 because -dx10 didn't do it.

Do you know where this entry is? I haven't been able to find clear info on which reg directory it is or where to place it in the wine registry.

I already have funtoo on another machine.

Velox

Whats bad about debian is small community, every piece of shit makes fork of debian instead of making DE for debian

Configure game to use dx10

If you like apt so much then just use debian!

>Debian
>Small community

What the fuck are you talking about?
It's incredibly widespread.

idiot

I have an old Dell mini 9 running Peppermint.
One day, I start it up and I get more or less the above. The mouse pointer renders in that area just fine, so I figure it can't be a hardware issue. So thinking maybe the system got corrupted, I reinstalled Peppermint but get the same result with a fresh install. Any idea what's going on?

Other distros I tried all display on the screen fine. But they each have some quirk or issue that makes me not want to use them.

Attached: pep.jpg (1000x750, 147K)

Try Void Linux.

Has anyone here messed with chromecast? I see a bunch of stuff in the repo for it but I don't want to drop 70 bucks on something that would be useless.

Memory issues can cause glitches like that, run memcheck.

Try other versions of retarmint.

The new Manjaro Update is botnet

What can I use as an alternative to AutoHotKey?
All I need to do is to send key presses when I press a hotkey

xbindkeys + xdotool

github.com/Paris/IronAHK

Or on X you can use xdotool and/or xautomation to manipulate and send commands to windows/programs.

Specific to a distro? I so far only get this with Peppermint. Puppy runs fine. Lubuntu work fine, but WiFi doesn’t work. Linux Lite puts up its splash screen fine (but fails to boot.)

Though now that I think about it, the Peppermint live boot works fine, only when I boot from the drive does that happen.

That looks like driver issue to me, is it Intel GPU? If so you might want to try uninstalling their driver and just use Xorg's modesetting driver.

Okay so I made a bash script that has a sentence variable and uses xdotool type sentence to write the sentence, but it has trouble writing some characters.
just to name a few
: turns into >
[ turns into 8
] turns into 9
whitespaces are skipped
why does this happen?

nvm, I fixed it by calling setxkbmap us before calling xdotool

If linux is supposed to be for smart people then why doesnt it have even a single good calculator app

try speedcrunch, dumbfriend

anyone have issues running dnscrypt-proxy on any ubuntu 18 based?

I'm running version 2.0.12 to be exact. I am new to version 2

from what I can tell I have it working? though the normal dig tests don't work, at all. because it doesn't use opendns anymore. it uses a bunch of random dns sites like evilvibes?

all my 53 traffic doesn't exist. it seems to be querying sites over 443?

is this correct?
I watch for 53 in and out traffic but I have none at all. all domains I go to seem to be routed through qualityology, evilvibes dallas, new jersey, etc servers

is watching for 53 tcp and udp traffic good enough to confirm it?

doesnt work

running
sudo tcpdump -n -s 1500 -i enp35s0 port 53

as my watching script

from my knowledge this shows TCP and UDP packets for in and out of port 53. I've read and verified. and tested
I can specify UDP and port 53 but I figured might as well catch it all

when I enable 8.8.8.8 as my DNS it gets lots of data

when I enable 127.0.0.2 as my DNS it gets no data

and finally when I turn off dnscrypt-proxy it my browser stops working, can't dig any sites, can't lookup anything. only can ping direct IPs

not him but yes it does. speedcrunch is fucking fantastic. I've used it for about 5 years.

Planning on installing gentoo tomorrow or the day after, and I do want to try using a custom kernel. Looking through the wiki I noticed that there are a lot of specific configurations that need to be made depending on your hardware (obviously), so I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

So far I have found wiki pages that have kernel options for the following features:
>wifi/wireless drivers
>ryzen cpu
>amdgpu drivers
>nouveau (plan on switching to nvidia card soon hence amdgpu and nouveau)
>usb devices
>speakers
>openvpn
>evdev (mouse and keyboard support I think)

Is there anything else I am missing that is vital?

>After 20 millennia, finally have an actual reason to use the mostly useless GTK3 file picker search feature
>enter search, can't find what I want, no problem, it's not the search features fault
>try to exit the search and go back to where I was
>CAN'T FUCKING GO BACK
>have to just click "home" and navigate back
Do these devs even know where there files are ever saved to? Or do they just save shit wherever they happen to be at the time and rely 100% on search?
Is that why they can't get their act together and actually make a decent toolkit?

Just follow their installation guide.
github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki

bc -l

I went through a dozen tutorials for installing Oracle XE on my computer running ubuntu but when I restarted my computer, suddenly the entire ubuntu interface is effectively gone. I can still use programs by launching them through the command prompt but I can't change the order of windows and the left and top bars are gone.
I've tried going through and reinstalling unity and a few other things, like enabling unity plugin, etc but nothing works. Usually it says that the job cannot be finished or something like that, after temporarily showing the bars.
Also the cursor when on the desktop is just a cross.
Any ideas?

>when I enable 127.0.0.2 as my DNS it gets no data
enp35s0 != lo
Change the interface to any

yet it does work. ive used it on windows, because the default calculator isnt good enough and now im using it on linux

Linyx is a kernel.

>CAN'T FUCKING GO BACK
Explain, cause i cant reproduce

So I've set on the Acer Swift 1 as my next portable workstation, because it's light and not too expensive. My plan is to install a Linux distro on it + i3 to increase workflow with tiling windows. The Swift specs are the following: Intel N4200, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC storage, 1.10 GHz processor clock. I mean to do light work, like writing/editing documents in notepad and browsing the web. What distro do you recommend? I'm used to Xubuntu but maybe it's too heavy for this device....

Xubuntu ran just fine on my ancient laptop, it's got some shitty Core 2 Duo CPU and 1 GB RAM.

Good. What about Lubuntu? Would it run even better?

Sure.

I have a headless box running archlinux. I upgrade the packages once a month.
No x11, no DE, no fuss.

Firefox hangs and uses up 100% of one CPU core every so often. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.
I've already tried all the common solutions like disabling extensions, disabling hardware acceleration etc.

I wouldn't mind using something else like ungoogled Chromium but scrolling is incredibly slow on that for some reason.

Attached: 1512935534161.jpg (640x480, 56K)

>just try Linux they say
>Linux Mint is very user friendly! they say
>it will have no problems booting up! they say
it's still hanging on pic related
how do you have a kernel panic when trying to run Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon Live in fuvking compatibility mode??

Attached: IMG_20180515_101105.jpg (4096x2304, 1.51M)

>have a problem
>blame it on Linux
Stop being a whiny bitch user.

This is after making a hybrid ISO in Rufus 12.8 you faggot, this is the bullshit they put out, at least PCLOS and open SUSE Leap don't have this problem

Mint is shit my dude, this is common knowledge.