Why the fuck did read reciepts ever become the norm?

why the fuck did read reciepts ever become the norm?
who in their right mind would want others to see if they've read a message or not?
what on earth is the point?

Attached: Whatsapp-01-GQ-06Nov14_b.jpg (1620x1069, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/23225461/?category=5245250
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

so that if you're not an insecure beta you know if you have to ask them to check the message or not, or call etc

Autistic faggots who need affirmation

It's an extension of read receipts in enterprise emailing.

but because you can read messages in notifications without opening them, this becomes null and void
if your message is that important and they haven't responded then just call them to ask
there's no reason for these fucks to exist

Easier to make it known that I'm ignoring the message.

so that I don't have to wait for confirmation for them or send another message if I'm unsure if they got the first one
jesus christ thotkind turn everything into a relationship problem, oh no, a grill ignorred me! what do! evil checkmarks!

I wish I could be sneaky about it and read messages without it being shown as read.

Hmmmm? Just get GBWhatsApp, user.

It's not about people ignoring me, it's the fact that I don't want people to know I'm intentionally ignoring them or taking over an hour to formulate a response

>this is what they believe ignoring to be
dishonest messaging at it's finest
if you were to truly ignore them, you wouldn't even be aware of their texts being sent to you because you've blocked notifications, set phone to DND or some other shit like that

The absolute state of neo-Jow Forums
Just turn off internet connection and open the messages up.

>do it
>turn internet on again after
>whatsapp reports it as read because it's running in the background

So they hate you or not.
I guess you've never had a gf to talk to on WhatsApp and Facebook.
Sucks to be autistic buddy.
Time to pay for hookers before you turn into a wizard.

> who in their right mind would want others to see if they've read a message or not?
Other people want to know that.

telegram didn't have this issue last time I used it

>Sucks to be autistic buddy
I don't care about seeing someone elses ticks, I just don't want other people to see mine

but why?
it makes no difference to me

Get a load of this COWARD

also
>I guess you've never had a gf to talk to on WhatsApp and Facebook
how do read receipts play a part in your conversations?
it's no real indicator as to whether or not they hate you because anyone retarded enough to still bother talking to someone they hate would see read receipts as an obligation to reply unless they want to make a statement by deliberately not replying
it's more autistic to crave this kind of confirmation

just turn it off if it bothers you? I know Whatsapp has the option

>hmm user read my message but hasn't responded in a timely manner
>THEY MUST HATE ME
this is the exact kind of passive aggressive cancer that social media causes

really makes me think why you can't toggle this?

I already told my mate I sold my phone for an old nokia so I don't have whatsapp anymore before
wish I realised this earlier

>really makes me think why you can't toggle this?
ah so there is a toogle. good.

>using WhatsApp
fucking botnet slaves

What do you mean dishonest messaging? First time I've heard that

Refuse to use it.

The power is YOURS.

Attached: 1238662619500.jpg (750x600, 77K)

Two ways you can do this. First is to enable panel notifications so that you can pull the notification down and read what they said.

The second, as another user has told you, is to turn off the internet then read the message. Then clear whatsapp cache and restart your phone. The messages will stay unread.

Knowing when people are ignoring your messages.
Frankly I love it. It's a bit of unwanted honesty in our everyday lives.
With emails you always have people who reply weeks later because "they were busy".
Now it's just a flat out "I read your message but I don't want to talk to you right now".

>is to turn off the internet then read the message. Then clear whatsapp cache and restart your phone. The messages will stay unread.
>being this scared of another person knowing you read the message

Attached: 1521507331372.jpg (900x900, 59K)

>t. beta autist

>With emails you always have people who reply weeks later because "they were busy".
>Now it's just a flat out "I read your message but I don't want to talk to you right now".
maybe they didn't want to talk to you right now because they were busy?

I always wondered that too
doesn't stop me to ghost people though

>chick sends stupid message
>not worth a reply
>IRL would be a chuckle
>can't just type that
>now she sees i read it
>have to type a sentence now

>CEOs and analysts rejoice at the feature making users send more messages

If it's causing that much anxiety, turn off read receipts from the settings.

Autism. You have it.
Virginity. That one too.

internet equivelent of body langauge/non-verbal communication

but the reason I like the internet is because it has no non-textual communication
it's so much easier

Holy shit the autism in this thread. Anyway, it allows you to know if they did in fact get it and read it.

i agree but i am just speculating

Fuck read receipts, total invasion of privacy. You can block facebook's server that keeps track of them in host file and they disappear from your conversations. Most other applications allow you to turn them off though don't they? Pretty sure apple iMessage and whatsapp both do

You might not believe it but things like this can be pretty useful at times. If you don't like it deactivate it.

For WhatsApp you can just turn them - but it won't apply to group messages. You can also hide your last online time.
For Facebook Messenger I don't believe you can turn any of it off which is annoying.

Attached: 5acdc26187826b2e008b4bd1-750-500.jpg (750x500, 64K)

Use adblocker or host file to block whichever server facebook tracks them with. You can search it online

When Facebook started doing it was annoying

This.

Or you can disable Read Receipt in the Settings, downside is that you wont be able to read see Read Receipt of other people.

i'm not a user of this botnet, from what i know about whatsapp you connect using phone numbers rather than usernames - so if i have someones phone number and they have the last online time enabled can i see when someones last used their phone without them having to consent or add me as a friend or whatever?

Did you forget to clear your cache?

I think they get to choose between letting it be shown to anyone, only their friends, or no one.

Its nice that its on by default nowadays so i can see what my parents are doing but not the reverse.

>why the fuck did read reciepts ever become the norm?
>who in their right mind would want others to see if they've read a message or not?
>what on earth is the point?
Imagine that you send an email to Quentin thundercock telling him that you have just been to the aids clinic and he MUST get check out for aids especially as he shot his whack up your sphincter about 6 weeks prior. It is imperative that he reads the message as you dont want him to infect anyone else. You thought phoning him might be a trauma and a drag queen drama so you want to avoid that but you want to know that he knows

Attached: nigger.jpg (640x360, 28K)

>really makes me think why you can't toggle this?

I was just letting the user know how he could do it. I don't care if people see their message as read, I reply when I can.

>but you want to know that he knows
It all boils down to this.
For Example: If I'm going to a BBQ and write a friend who is currently on his way to the store to bring me beer, it is nice to know he saw it.

Attached: 1515361025980.png (335x506, 283K)

faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/23225461/?category=5245250
>By default, WhatsApp sets your privacy settings to allow:
>Any WhatsApp user to see your read receipts, last seen, about and profile photo.

holy fuck it's on by default

Because instant messaging is technically talking to another person face to face, except you're doing it on a smartphone, therefore the sender requires feedback if they properly said their message at all.
In contrast, emails doesn't have this because ithe mail client will just throw an error when it failed sending.
On the recieved/read(ignored) matter, email replies usually have days of interval (in which hours are considered fast). And the reciever may actually respond the time he red it, or ignore it for a while then say he just recently red it, therefore not requiring the feature at all.

so what's stopping me from writing a script to add every possible number to my whatsapp and thus knowing when the majority of users (read: tech illiterate) last used their phone

This. Screw being pressured into answering immediately.

This.

You're never getting away from read receipts. Next version of SMS called RCS has them built in and enabled by default.

Terminology is wrong.
"Read" means actually "displayed". Just because a message was displayed doesn't mean I actually read it.

I just blue double-checked your thread, good-bye forever

not me

Attached: Screenshot_20180514-182513.png (720x1280, 59K)