<wdg/> - Web Development General

Prev thread:
>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: wdg.png (822x552, 868K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-origin_policy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

question:

Anyone got some React courses or tutorials to recommend?

I write all the time, but I want to pick up best practices.

Also interested in good open source projects to browse.

share your recommendations

I'm looking for a prototyping tool for Windows to make website mockups to show to my boss. Any recommendations?

Attached: 1484205636367.jpg (700x968, 587K)

Figma.

Figma, Adobe XD.

Unironically find it fun using a new framework.

Which framework are we talking about?

Currently fucking with Buffalo.

Nice, gotta try learning Go some time. I heard it's pretty comfy for back-end shit.

I have a job interview on Thursday. But I don't want the job, since it pays minimum wage. But it's an offer nevertheless, and I'm unironically autistic so it isn't like I can just pick whatever job I like. Should I go to the interview and give it my best shot /wdg/, or look for something which pays more?

As a reactionary web developer who yearns for the age of building websites from complete scratch, I feel the need to bully you and insult your own opinion.

What happens if I create the FromScratch framework? Do you bully yourself?

>Do you bully yourself?
We're on Jow Forums, we all bully ourselves.

What do I use to save user data locally? Are JS cookies the way to go?

Attached: 1494671989859.jpg (636x632, 144K)

>JS cookies
Wat

You mean localStorage?

Aren't cookies used to store user data on a page, like storing them locally on the browser? Or am I missing something here? I'm making a simple game and I just want to store the users score for when they come back to the page.

Well yeah but you don't do it with JS...cookies are stored on the browser but sent from the server, so a server-side language does that shit. Like PHP

You can read and edit cookies with JS, it's just not called JS cookies. lol.
I'd use localStorage for that, just beware that it's very easy to change the data in the LS

Alright thanks, I'll look into it.

Why do you act smart when you are dumb? :D

Get your foot in the door, and gain experience then you can move on to better jobs.

Don't listen to him l0l.
You can set cookies in http response AND locally, it does not change anything.
Use Vue + Vuex instead of worrying about LS.
DYOR AND STOP LISTENING TO Jow ForumsTARDS

>apply for a full stack position
>get given a full stack homework
>try to make it
>fail
>have to write to the recruiter that you couldn't make it
failing is hard yo
i feel like shit

>implement a local auth in express, passport and hook it up with react/redux client and then implement a socket.io chatroom
i had half of friday, saturday and sunday to make it

>have a great idea
>currently learning React, Meteor
>feel like the idea is still a long way to go

anybody else shares this feel?

Attached: 1524749711919.jpg (480x542, 42K)

I think you are taking a suboptimal route here. Why not make a barebones implementation of your idea first before learning a bunch of new frameworks?

Try to get the project done either way, user.
Experience.

But keep your chin up. You need confidence to keep landing interviews.

"currently learning React, Meteor"

how about learn the fucking basics of programming LOL YOU ARE TRASH KYS

I want to create a basic model of the app and then present it to investors

I need to create something a minimum professional

obviously I know the basics of html css js jquery node etc

thanks for the (you)

no because it's idiotic to be trying to learn a new framework while trying to implement your idea.
implement your idea in the shit that you know, learn new shit after

IF YOU DO THEN WHY ARE YOU LEARNING BOTH METEOR AND REACT AT THE SAME TIME LOL FUCK I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will join a school soon, that's what they teach so I'm learning it before it starts

WHY ARE YOU GOING TO SCHOOL TO LEARN METEOR AND REACT THEN??????? I WILL KEEP ASKING KEEP ANSWERING. WE WILL GET THERE.

They are reputable. I want to have them on my C.V. then I'll be able to find a job really fast right after. They have good reviews from former students

k ur a good sheeo goi, beeeh keep beeeing. go work for dem shekels son you will surely find happiness!!!

if you are to fucking stupid and are really asking those questions you do not have the passion to truly be great at this aka you are fucking wasting your time. you are living life for other people. you just want to be a fucking wagecuck to please your parents jump off a fucking bridge you waste of a human shell

:D :D :D :D gret argumend friend :D :D :D

actually finding a job is not what I'm truly after.
I'm after building my ideas and try to live off of them
I'm not trying to be an employee but if I have to I will
Obviously, I don't want to end up in the streets

Also I'm working on other non web-dev things to earn money

You don't know me, user

>he doesn't know python
yikes user... yikes

IF THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU ARE AFTER THEN WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING THIS PLAN??? DO YOU 1 + 1 BRO?

ALSO

YOU NEED MORE THAN BASIC KNOWLEDGES FOR REAL CHANGES.
WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BABY IPHONE SHITTY APP. KILL YOURSELF IF YOU DONT WANT TO HELP HUMANITY MOVE FORWARD THEN NECK YOURSELF.

BITCH

STOP BEING A FUCKING FOLLOWERS AND DO SOMETHING TRULY GOOD STOP JUST THINKING ABOUT MAKING SOME MONEY TO BUY USELESS ITEMS THEY WILL NOT MAKE YOU HAPPY YOU KNOW I AM RIGHT SCHOOL IS FOR FUCKING RETARDS IF YOU HAVE 1% OF A BRAIN DROPOUT NOW AND START READING

did you read my post?
>Obviously, I don't want to end up in the streets

I don't know how you live, but in my world, I need money to survive

School will get me the knowledge I need to create my ideas and help me find... money, to survive.

How do you pay rent, user? tell me? are you on disability?

IT'S 2018 BRO. DID YOU MISS NEW YEAR? YOU THINK SCHOOL CAN TEACH YOU PROGRAMMING BETTER THAN YOURSELF IN 2018?!?!?!?!?! WHY ARE YOU STARTING SO LATE ALSO? COULD IT BE THAT YOU MAYBE DON'T TRULY WANT IT DEEP DOWN, AND NEVER HAVE?

how old am I, user?

don't you think that you are implying a little too hard

also, I am currently learning by myself. You are missing the point

Has anyone had any success from being self taught? Mainly front end side of things.

yes. google will tell you. search on the freecodecamps forums also

Do you really think school is useful or is it an excuse because you are afraid that you will not make it and want to delay your entry to real life as much as possible?

Bro stop thinking I'm just saying BS. If you are that smart you don't need school. Also you'd know that helping others is good and that we don't need other shitty clones of shitty shit that already exists that don't better the world in any way but make their owner money while making all the users miserable.

>I'll be able to find a job really fast right after
No, that's not how it works user.

Yes - at work replying to your dumbass.

>at work
>successful

what is deluded

XD

Depends where you are, user.

> want to delay your entry to real life as much as possible?

yeah, stop implying

>you'd know that helping others is good and that we don't need other shitty clones of shitty shit that already exists

more implying

How in the flying fuck am i supposed to show Facebook how I'm using their restricted API WHEN I NEED ACCESS TO IT TO SHOW THEM

Jesus Christ I wish Facebook would die but i need to capitalize on all the morons who still use this trash. The documentation is no help either. Any tips? Specifically i need access to public pages and the groups api, just grabbing the latest posts from their feed.

you keep saying I imply yet you keep dodging the school questions

you're a retard who can't figure out what to do without some other fucktard telling him

im out

you'll never wake up

fuck you piece of shit

lol just don't fb, fixed it for you :D

you are funny

I already answered the schoold question. you found my answer retarded.

ofc you are retarded you struggle with react and meteor xD

please tell us how you better the world by insulting other anons

Attached: So_happy_smiling_cat.jpg (1317x1536, 1.38M)

trying to wake up sheeps is a bad thing? tired of everyone justifying stupidity.

okay.

then enlighten us with your great knowledge. what should young students (sheeps) do?

fight for privacy

Caps lock is cruise control for cool, but you still have to steer.

You've barreled off the freeway and killed 14 people, congratulations.

How

this guy is too full of himself to explain anything
he is trying to lead like Kanye West. He is not a leader, just a whiner

I love my job.

Fuck you, Jow Forums.

I wake up, shower, bike to work, have breakfast there.

High fives all around.

Code all day/listen to my music.

Get paid lots of $$$ to learn my hobby.

Breaks whenever I want.

Exercise at 12PM

Leave early and finish work at home if I want. Work from home if I want.

Fuck you Jow Forums.

Ok?

you want a medal or something?

there is a fake revolutionary in the thread

don't worry
do what you love

How much time do you spend fixing bugs, Jow Forums?
I just can't anymore, I'm spending more than half of my days just fixing bugs of undocumented, poorly written codes, and the sheer ammount of new issues popping out isn't getting any better.

DUDE endomarketing it's baaaaaad and so

Welcome to your job.

If you don't like it, get out while you can. No, I'm serious.

>that sense of panic when your dev team realises that GDPR will also apply to git repositories

So many companies don't realize how fucked they are by this legislation.

can you explain? what is this?

GDPR is new EU legislation that means that you have to get express permission to store any customer data, that you don't store customer data any longer than needed and that users can demand their data deleted at any point.

If any personal data gets committed to a git repository, you're fucked. It's there forever. This is very likely to happen to any company that requires code reviews for SQL run on live data.

>you have to get express permission to store any customer data

well, do like Facebook. Inform the users of the new legislation. Ask them to agree to the new terms and explain it isfor the good functioning of the app. People will just click agree if they want to continu to use app

Every big company is already dealing with this: Google, Amazon Facebook, ...

They have mega legal teams and can pay to set up 100 strong GDPR teams. Even so, a lot of tech giants moved a lot of customer data outside of the EU

The people that get fucked are the small and medium sized businesses.

Facebook creates an account for you even if you've never registered, GDPR is going to be interesting for them and they'll more than likely end up as a test case for the law.

It's not enough to have a "I give permission" tick box. Companies aren't allowed to store personal data longer than it's needed

>poorly written codes, and the sheer ammount
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

>The people that get fucked are the small and medium sized businesses.

Because they were using customers data without their permissions? boo-hoo

get a fucking grip you retard

Adapt or die.

>Companies aren't allowed to store personal data longer than it's needed

I really want to see how they are going to check if this is followed or not.

You don't want to info on the internet. Do not EVER put it out there. That's it. This law is not going to change shit

Attached: 43618624.jpg (1595x1063, 389K)

gdpr isn't about people uploading personal information
that's still very legal and very accessible
it's about companies using and selling data irresponsibly

I understood that.
But if a company wants to make money in this day and age and your data is going to get that....
how can you really stop a company from doing that?

Keeping an order history breaks GDPR
Keeping an email they sent you asking a question in your inbox for more than a few months breaks GDPR
IPs in server logs? GDPR
your database backups? GDPR (going to be lots of extremely nervous DBA running risky scripts on backups)
Someone printed off an email and it's in a paper pile somewhere? GDPR
Email chain forwarded to a department? You'd better hope that you've kep track of every person it went to so you can force everyone to delete it in 6 months time.
Some low level office worker saved an email into a Word document? That's another violation
Kept record of billing/invoice information for accounting and tax purposes. Oh dear you forgot to redact it 3 years later.

You really don't fucking get how insanely wide reaching this legislation is.

It isn't about email marketing. It's about any fucking piece of any data that can identify a person (doesn't even have to be a single piece, if they can piece together 4-5 separate pieces of data, that falls foul).

Pretty much every company will be breaking this when it comes into force. The ones who'll get fined are just the ones unlucky enough to get audited.

Opinions on headless CMS in general,
thoughts on strapi.io specifically?
inb4 still alpha, nontheless very fun to work with imo

>headless CMS
that's all good and all, but what about GDPR dude?

>But if a company wants to make money in this day and age and your data is going to get that....
The deterrence is the cost of mishandling data would be too high in relation to how much that data brings in.

Yes just use localstorage for it, as long as you take into account that users can easily edit local storage data.

Can my website example.com read browser cookies that were set from different websites like facebook.com? What i mean is can my website peek users cookies that dont belong to me?

Attached: 1424991401624s.jpg (240x232, 7K)

> be you
> use searchengine of choice
> today i learned
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-origin_policy

okay, I understand
I think that would work for little businesses and organization. Not giants like Facebook

Just found out openvz is practically dead. How much more difficult is it to manage a KVM based VPS? Also, is BuyVM still one of the better providers? Should I even be using a VPS at this point? Did cloud compute win? After my discovery about openvz I'm thinking I need to update my knowledge about the web hosting world.

Gatsby or Next?
They both seem fun.

going to take a wack at learning MVC, any tips?

Attached: at the club.jpg (410x474, 71K)

What's the better handleChange setup for a React component with multiple inputs?

handleChange = event => {
this.setState(prevState => ({
...prevState
[event.target.name]: event.target.value
}))
}

Or...

handleChange = name = event => {
this.setState({
[name]: event.target.value
})
}

yes it's all in the name
there, saved you countless hours of useless shit

Hugo

so... MVC is just placing each type of file in a folder?

The FB app has an owner (your account) that you can use to test. You can also create mock users associated to the FB app. You implement the feature following their guidelines and then make a screencast showing your app. They'll give feedback if it isn't up to their standards in a week or so.

first => inmutable
second => normal

lmao bring it up, abstract it a little bit
instead of files/folders, think in compartments and general structures
in which MVC, as its namesake, has 3 compartments, each of these is a specific focus, and then it hands it off to the next (and then back again)

State should always be immutable, so you should never 'change the state directly', like you do in the second one.

The first creates a carbon copy of the state, then makes a change to the carbon copy, then sets that to state. Do that, otherwise any stateful components will get fucked up in the process.

How do I avoid nesting then()s in promises?

I have a function that looks if a certain object is already in the database and returns an error if it is, if it isn't then i need it to do something

something.find(filter).then(somethingfound) => { if (somethingfound) return blabla})

What do I do here if it doesn't find it? Do I just link another then, like so?
something.find(filter).then(somethingfound) => { if (somethingfound) return blabla}).then(???)

I'm currently just nesting it like this

something.find(filter).then(somethingfound) => {
if (somethingfound) return blabla

--- do things

somethingCreated.saveToDatabase().then(somethingsaved => return somethingsaved) // nested then inside a then
})

Return a promise or return a rejection.

is there a tutorial on how to spin up and use a database on the web? do people still use php? I've never set up a database before I just want to create a table with one or two rows and learn how to select stuff and display it on an HTML page