Should I buy one?

Should I buy one?

Attached: 4300685_0.jpg (1172x900, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D3-SqJHYzC0
hdd.userbenchmark.com/WD-Black-6TB-2015/Rating/3519
ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/498971/Samsung-SSD-970-PRO-512GB
storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes

SSDs are a meme. Why bother? The speed difference is negligible compared to a new HDD. I mean, HDDs are so cheap nowadays that I have no problem getting a new one every 6-8 months when I fill it up. You can just back the old one up on tape and continue as normal. It's way better than getting an SSD that will be obsolete in a year.

Sure, the boot up time alone is worth it. ~6 seconds vs ~20 seconds on a conventional HDD.

This is why you should never take Jow Forums seriously. SSDs are objectively lightning fast compared to HDDs.

Stop shilling SSDs, a new HDD is just as fast.

Blatantly false you fucking shitter

lmaoooing @ ur life
as if u would do anything productive with ur time anyway lul

Attached: images.jpg (232x217, 9K)

Didn't 870 just come out?
Also do modern SSDs also suffer from data loss when left without power for a few months?

My computer is old and only has SATA2 ports, will the speed increase be worth it anyways? I plan to build a completely new computer in a few months but a good boost right now would be nice while I wait for money to pile up.

No, it really isn't. HDD technology may have been that slow in fucking 2009 when SSDs became popular, but they are just as capable without fragmented sectors in 2018.

No the 860 did a few months ago

Well if you buy an Intel SSD it will die whether power is applied to it or not
That's still bullshit, all you have to do to prove your thesis wrong is to transfer files back and forth between an HDD and an SSD, the write speed for a SSD is at least 4x faster than an HDD

yeah I was thinking 970 EVO/PRO

>the write speed for a SSD is at least 4x faster than an HDD
[citation needed]
HDDs can take advantage of new SATA connections, too, dickweed.

Yes, however get an offbrand SSD for much cheaper as the SATA connection will be maxed out way before your SSD reaches its full speed

They're still nowhere near as fast
If you use Windows a window pops up and shows how fast the files are being transferred
I tested this by cutting and pasting a 4GB iso file back and forth from the SSD to the HDD and back
The top write speed for my Toshiba 2TB is around 140MB/sec, top write speeds with my crucial MX200 is over 400MB/sec

It's not the sata connection it's the fucking spinning platter(s) inside the disk.

SSDs also improved during that time. Only in very obscure cases I can see this happening (a low-end SSD vs. 10k RPM HDD reading from cache)

the vibration noise alone makes me want to go full SSD

t. never used an SSD

>They're still nowhere near as fast
Try to backup your claims with citations. That is expected in a discussion.
>If you use Windows
I don't. Windows is slow as fuck for file transfers.
>The top write speed for my Toshiba 2TB is around 140MB/sec, top write speeds with my crucial MX200 is over 400MB/sec
Fire up ffmpeg and show me, then.
It can be just as fast as an SSD before fragmentation occurs. That is when they slow down.
Seriously, try a new HDD, they are really fast nowadays.
I can't even hear it over my case fans and ethernet switch and I have three drives hooked up.
I have, but it wasn't worth the price so I returned it. Plus they tend to slow down just as quickly as HDDs.

Lol nice bait.

Attached: 1308976518672.jpg (142x80, 3K)

This is the main reason I got ssd's the speed is a bonus.

Not bait. As long as you replace the HDD once it is full you'll have no speed issues. 5TB drives can be bought for less than $100. They are definitely worth it.

Maybe with SenseMI, but that's very new and very much only on AMD systems.
youtube.com/watch?v=D3-SqJHYzC0
I hope you're trollign though because if you believe what you're saying you're positively delusional.

Have any of you had an SSD die on you?

I've been sold on the meme that SSD's will last for 10-20 years. I've had my first and only SSD for 3 years now and it's still going strong. In my experience, a harddrive tends to only last 5-10 years of heavy usage. I've owned a lot of harddrives and have seen plenty of them die. We'll see if my SSD goes the distance.

>I hope you're trollign though because if you believe what you're saying you're positively delusional.
Only people who haven't used a HDD in the last two years would think that.

Ok but
>The speed difference is negligible
That's just not true breh. The benchmarks are in. Go to ANY source.

Please post proof about HDD vs ssd. I can't find it

You're saying that as if you're not in a place where several people have several computers and use them day in and day out, or even build and service them for a living.

I have a brand new 2TB Seagate Barracuda drive, it's massively slower than my SSDs. You're a delusional retard.

Fastest HDD
hdd.userbenchmark.com/WD-Black-6TB-2015/Rating/3519

>Sequential Read 168MB/s
>Sequential Write 208MB/s
>4K Random Read 3.68MB/s
>4K Random Write 2.53MB/s

Fastest SSD (excluding Optane)
ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/498971/Samsung-SSD-970-PRO-512GB
>2,838MB/s
>2,187MB/s
>49MB/s
>145MB/s

If I had an SSD I'd show you, but they aren't worth the money to me.
Show me. I will change my mind in the face of evidence, but what I have seen shows me the opposite conclusion.
I've seen it for myself. I know how good a new HDD can be. The meme is that SSDs are all conquering and better in every way, but that isn't true at all.

I completely agree, because i actually fell for ssd meme and paid €100 for 250gb 850 EVO.
The only noticeable improvement is in Windows, it indeed loads faster at startup.

Why can't you show me on your machine? Why should I trust their word of mouth over anything else? I can't see their conditions, their methods, or their results directly.

things like searching for files and compiling large projects like AOSP or LLVM are also massively faster

I went to the Source awards...

Just a bunch of rappers, plz help user

If you use an HDD for your OS in 2018 you should kill yourself. Linux and Windows run drastically smoother. HDDs are only relevant for data storage, for OSs and games SSDs are a must.

Games are for retarded children.

> you should kill yourself
don't be mad fat boy

Its not worth the money though. $100 for 250gb?

you're not funny

It's not "word of mouth" but real data collected from thousands of real users. Why is it so hard to admit that you are wrong?

I bet you don't even nvme

I already said any source
That Adored video with a frehs install for example

Yeah bought myself an ssd. Really regret it now. Cause I really need more storage

>If you use an HDD for your OS in 2018 you should kill yourself.
This is how SSD shills justify their outrageous purchase to others. The technology for SSDs isn't there yet. You're trying to convince people to switch to floppy disks in the early 80s. Sorry, but tapes are more versatile. Yes, floppy disks eventually succeeded, but only when their time was right. SSDs may eventually succeed, but they cannot match the price to performance ratio that HDDs currently have. I'll take slightly slower boot times in some OSs for the far greater storage capacity.
Not trying to be.
But I can't verify their method at all. There is now control in those studies.

HDDs in RAID10 vs. SSD?

Interesting how yiu whine about every other source yet never post your own. You're nothing but a shitposter.

>250GB
>not buying an NVme

Attached: nvme.png (1552x660, 262K)

I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just stating my own experience.

>Well if you buy an Intel SSD it will die whether power is applied to it or not
Been out of the game for a few years. Weren't Intel previously the best?

jesus fuck dude, the difference is 10x-100x and no amount of "control" will change the result.
the only advantage HDDs have over SSDs is longer storage while being powered-off (only theoretically since HDDs are more prone to physical damage) and being cheaper.
the site's used by millions of users and the benchmarks are supported by thousands of samples from real users.

But why should they be trusted? There are so many memes about SSDs out there that I would much prefer verifiable evidence.

Samsung's always been best. Intel recently came out with Optane which tops even the best of Samsungs but it's kind of a conceptual product as of now.

>always been best
Not really, Crucial/Micron has been neck and neck with Samsung since SSDs went mainstream with SanDisk coming out of fucking nowhere and creating a three way tie for best SSDs

Ssd for games is a meme. Just run your os on it

As have others ITT counter to your claims, so since you're the one making such a wild claim that HHDs are as fast as SSDs, the burden of proof lies on you

>transistors vs spinning disks
hmm... i wonder which is faster

demonstrably false

I'm not trying to prove anything, so there is no burden of proof on me. I am stating my experience so we can have a balanced discussion.
Go on, then.

>muh anecdotal evidence is proof
That's not how it works fucknut, SSDs have been tested against HDDs and they are massively faster than HDDs

I have a 1TB nvme drive, but Until I can snag a 4Tb for under 800 dollars, Ill stick with SATA ssd's. Micron 2TB enterprise drives are just a hair over 300 for instance, and I would much rather have 8tb of still-fast sata ssd than 2tb of stupid fast but approaching placebo with my use cases SSD.

Stop strawmanning.

storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd
Fuck off retard

Show me your actual test conditions.

Attached: solid-state-drive-vs-hard-disk-drive.jpg (590x863, 55K)

Not quite what I'm looking for...

Attached: maxresdefault-15.jpg (1920x1080, 182K)

can this be a buy thread?

I need help because I'm extremely retarded, not too rich and I need a microphone(preferebly over the ear shit presenters use but with a normal jack for pc)

been checking out amazon but I'm way too stupid to even know what any of this shit means

Attached: 1516328603091.png (749x836, 201K)

Why not? But get the 500 GB at least or NVMe.
Why are there even people like this? SSDs are pretty cheap now. HDDs suck at random operations, its not the sequential speed you should care for. My 6TB+ drives will read and write 250 MB/s, but only 2 MB random writes, while the SSDs still do about 50 MB/s then.
Get the EVO unless you do heavy video editing.
Modern SSDs have a longer lifespan than HDDs.

I donated my old 120 GB Samsung SSD to my father, he always said he "doesn't need it as he doesn't play games", I installed it and the boot time of his laptop is about 5 seconds instead of 40.
Unfortunately only worth for fast access. I wish there were affordable QLC SSDs for large storage, about 20 TB. A 10 TB costs about 300 €, you can't get SSDs of these sizes unless you buy server grade ones for several 1000 €s.

>SSDs are pretty cheap now.
Nearly $100 for 240GB? That's not cheap.

Nice blog, dude

Better than paying ~$1/GB like it was 4 years ago

Still not good. SSDs are at least 4 years away.

Shut the fuck up, you can get a 500GB SSD for ~$120 or a 512GB M.2 for $110

Source?

Pic related is the M.2 500GB drive, I'll have the 2.5" in a minute

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-14-13-29-41.jpg (1080x67, 31K)

Is that Canadian or Australian?

American dollerydoos friendo

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-14-13-32-10.jpg (1080x265, 144K)

What site is selling them?

More like 110 € for 500 GB, at least here. US prices are even cheaper. 120 $ are 87 € I think.

850s were 99 €for a short time here.

The screen grabs are from pcpartpicker.com
Go there and look up storage under components and use the filters and click the links

The cheapest Australian 240GB drive I could find from a reputable seller was still $79.

GUYS, what about SSHDs?

Because it doesn't support your stupid ass claims?

Overpriced shit. They /can/ be a bit faster for certain workloads, but they will never catch up with SSDs. Its easy, SSD for programs/games, HDD for large sequential storage.

Don't buy small HDDs. Its 2018 where you buy at least 4 TB. You can even get 2.5" with 5 TB now. More platters=more speed

Because it isn't what I asked for.

Why should your claim be trusted?
Who are you?
How did you test your sample size of 1 SSD?

I'm not trying to prove anything, just stating my experience.

>More platters=more speed
kek.
good one user.

Except star citizen, it needs ssd

Your experience is wrong.

Lol noob get a motherboard that can support a SSD envyme!

>what is name option
>no, I'll continue being a faggot snowflake
kys

No

Why are you guys still feeding this stupid ass troll?

What is an ass troll?