Should i learn Rust and why?

So i wanna either learn Rust or C++/C/C#
What's the benefit of Rust over C languages, also i only have experience with Python, is it gonna be hard to learn Rust?

What is Rust used for and can it replace C?Any tips i should know or any books i should read to begin with Rust?

Attached: RustProgrammingLanguage_cover_0.png (170x225, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.rust-lang.org/stable/book/
github.com/ctjhoa/rust-learning
github.com/tuvtran/project-based-learning
cis198-2016s.github.io/schedule/
cis198-2016f.github.io/schedule/
github.com/rust-unofficial/awesome-rust
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rust is for mentally ill trannies who can't into C++

>caring about the users of a product over the utility it provides

I dont give a shit about your hate over anything i just wanna know what i first posted. Any non brainlet can provide?

Take it to /sqt/ or /dpt/ then, this shit doesn't need a new thread, ya freakin' attention seeking jabroni.

Disclaimer: I'm bad at rust

Rust can completely replace C or C++, that's one of its goals.
The benefit is safety. The compiler brings type-safety that isn't present in C, as well as memory-safety, and some concurrency guarantees.
Rust is really hard to learn, especially lifetimes and references. But it's worth it to do so, since it really is a nice model.
Start with the rust book, it's basically the standard resource for learning the language.
doc.rust-lang.org/stable/book/

Serious answer for once because I'm bored of shitposting for the day
Rust is mainly designed to replace C++, and tries to be a better C replacement than C++ ever was. It removes most of the C/C++ footguns around concurrency and shared mutable state, and greatly limits the number of ways you can introduce accidental data corruption, which is currently the main cause of security problems in production code. C# does some of the same things, but the .NET runtime has a lot of overhead (for garbage collection and online compilation) that's unacceptable in some niches (libraries, games, kernels...). Python is even worse about that part but at least C# is pretty fast. C, C++, and Rust are all much faster though. They're usually within 5% speed of each other on comparable programs.

Definitely learn C first. There's plenty of learning material on it, pretty much every important algorithm written in the 20th century has a C implementation for you to study. And you can get real experience looking at open source C projects.
Rust is too new to justify a noobie learning it. If you want to learn rust, learn C first.

Attached: __izayoi_sakuya_touhou_drawn_by_amagi_amagi626__56e76dccc50eb51c82187f60f0162829.png (856x1168, 572K)

this literally

Yeah everyone keeps saying its hard but a fast look at the begginers guide on getting started, i think i can just straight learn Rust from scratch since i know a good amount of python and pretty much every programming language works in the same way in some parts like they all have variables/funcrions etc. like
fn main() {
println!("Hello, world!");
}
this wouldnt make any sense for a starter into programming i think but since i know python it looks pretty much the samedef main():
print('Hello world!")

main()

>
>Yeah everyone keeps saying its hard but a fast look at the begginers guide on getting started, i think i can just straight learn Rust from scratch since i know a good amount of python and pretty much every programming language works in the same way in some parts like they all have variables/funcrions etc. like
>fn main() {
> println!("Hello, world!");
>}
>this wouldnt make any sense for a starter into programming i think but since i know python it looks pretty much the same
>def main():
>print('Hello world!")
lol guys look at me, I am a retard

update, what is this python v2?
the syntax look more like python than anything else even the strings and variables like wtf

yeah look at me caring for your user opinion fucking brainlet, bet you cant open the text editor and have opinion on syndax examples

A lot of people do switch directly to Rust from Python/Ruby/JS, and you can definitely learn Rust from the tutorials with no other experience. But if you're going to do that you shouldn't talk about it on Jow Forums because everyone here expects you to do something manly like cutting yourself with power tools, which is pretty much what you're in for with C++.

The benefit of never finding a job and living as an sjw neet

If you are not in rush to learn C++, Rust is far easier to comprehend when it comes to resource scoping model and type system. It could teach you a lot.
C++ is mess and is harder to find proper resources to learn it. You have exceptions and exception-safety, new features not adopted into standard library which can create scenarios and crappy dependency management and build tool on top which is not desirable when you are still learning the programming itself.

maybe find something in github.com/ctjhoa/rust-learning and github.com/tuvtran/project-based-learning
also some uni courses cis198-2016s.github.io/schedule/ cis198-2016f.github.io/schedule/

>hello world in a language looks similar thus it's easy to learn the language

>What a useless language.
In R, it is just
"Hello, World!";

it was an example moron, the strings and everything else is pretty much like python/ruby now kys

rust is c with kiddie wheels. you won't fall that easily, but you won't fit in some places.

> much harder to find resources
> learncpp.com is mostly all you need

>So i wanna either learn Rust or C++/C/C#
Learn C
>What's the benefit of Rust over C languages,
None
>also i only have experience with Python,
Good, python is a nice skill to have
>is it gonna be hard to learn Rust?
Rust is shit, don't punish yourself with rust, learn C
>What is Rust used for
Spamming forums, bug trackers and mailing lists with "rewrite it in rust"
>and can it replace C?
No
>Any tips i should know or any books i should read to begin with Rust?
Fuck rust and read K&R

So the syntax for strings is the same as pretty much every other programming language that ever existed, going back to assembly, wow.

I like c#, it looks good

I would use C# if it was compiled language and didn't need vm.

Attached: autism.jpg (514x536, 46K)

Use Go then

rust is too difficult, javascript and ruby are the tranny languages, mozilla is numale incarnate though

no thx, I like features

Attached: programming2.jpg (670x960, 144K)

What is your plan with programming language?
To knew one? Go with Rust it's fine
To create a desktop/mobile projects? C++/Java
For ICs? C has no substitutions.

>Rust is far easier to comprehend when it comes to resource scoping model and type system. It could teach you a lot.
I hate the "far easier to comprehend" argument.
People who are new to programming needs to learn programming.
All of it.
It takes time and that is okay.
It is a useful tool, but it is not for everyone.

>C++ is mess and is harder to find proper resources to learn it.
You can't learn everything from a single resource, sure.
But that doesn't mean it is hard to learn.
>You have exceptions and exception-safety,
Not the first thing I would explain, but not something that is really hard to learn.
>new features not adopted into standard library which can create scenarios and crappy dependency management
Solved problem, just use a build system.
>and build tool on top which is not desirable when you are still learning the programming itself.
Learning the build tool is definitely underrated, but it is a secondary thing to learn.
Something like making a Qt application that runs several threads and talks to another application is hard, but it doesn't take a semester to learn.
I know because I teach this and a lot more in a single course to people who can't even look up documentation, let alone compile code without visual studio when we begin.

If you wanna have a look at Rust, check this: github.com/rust-unofficial/awesome-rust

In general, the "awesome" repositories for various languages are not bad, for anyone that doesn't know them. Just google github + language + awesome

Related to OPs question, I would like to know if you have any insight what to use if you want to give your Rust applications an attractive, NON-BUGGY user interface (mainly on Windows).

Rust sucks so bad that every big company that ever used it wants to get rid of it ASAP.

Make a static or dynamic library in Rust and use it from a program in C# written with WPF or something like that.

you should use C# because it's the first class language of all the windows frameworks, possibly Qt if you also want other platforms, or rust bindings to Qt if you absolutely want to use rust even though it'll be 10x more difficult than Qt Quick for no benefit

It depends. Do you need a job and are learning a new language to make yourself more employable? Learn C or C++. Do you just want to learn about systems programming and aren't looking to expand your resume? Learn Rust.

Java is faster than C#

Well Erlang has better data race safety than Go, but we aren't fucking talking about Go or Erlang or Java now are we
OP asked about C# which is why I mentioned C#

As of their CoC I'd strongly recommend learning C instead of Rust

daily reminder Rust is only 3% slower than C

But let's help OP tho, I suggest he sticks with Java until 2019 net core release, even after that it'll be at least 2 -3 more years until people will start to develop as many libraries as there are for Java

fpbp

What are these libraries that are missing that everyone keeps clamoring about? What do you actually need? There's game engines, networking, gui, 3d graphics, 2d graphics, math libraries, etc

Proof?

There's no jobs for Rust programmers. And even if you manage to find one, it will pay you shit.
RUst's for stupid hipster faggots and communist ANTIFA, anti-white types.

Attached: 1508098808033.png (988x1059, 143K)

Learn C first.
C is really important if only for historical reasons, all that software that is still in wide use out there and that is still being produced.
Dig deep enough in most software and you find... guess what? yep C. SBCL is the only software I know of that gets bootstrapped using lisp itself.
I know of no hardware that doesn't have some sort of C compiler written for it, heck hardware manufacturers are expected to provide you with a C compiler if they want to have any cut of the market.
BSD is written in C, damn! that code base is a thing of beauty, I think learning C is worth the while just for reading it.
C is the only language I shill hard besides LISP, the rest I pick up on a `right tool for the right job' basis.
Live long enough and you'll need to modify some C program. So user do yourself a favor and in the tradition of all real hard ass neck beards learn yourself some C.