Thoughts on Signal?

Thoughts on Signal?

It has the potential to replace WhatsApp. Most of my friends use it now which is not a small feat in Europe, where everyone used to use WhatsApp.

Attached: Signal_Blue_Icon.png (1024x1024, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

surveillancevalley.com/blog/government-backed-privacy-tools-are-not-going-to-protect-us-from-president-trump
sandervenema.ch/2016/11/why-i-wont-recommend-signal-anymore/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Web_Services
twitter.com/ortegaalfredo/status/995912662130229248
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not everyone uses whatsapp.

In the east most of them use viber.

I use it only with family for private stuff.
Most people use whatsapp here.

It's inferior to xmpp in every way. Use xmpp instead.

moxie's botnet
This.

>asks for a phone number
>for no valid reason (worst 2FA method)

How does its security compare to the AES that signal uses?

>moxie's botnet

Oh come on.
Why would signal be a botnet? Proof it ya ding dong.

The security is exactly the same

WIre is better because:
>It's based in Switzerland, unlike Signal (USA). Therefore it is not so easy for authorities to seize their servers if they wanted to.
>Has attractive normie fun features such as drawing, voice filters, text formatting, and very good audio/video conference quality so it also competes as a Skype replacement.
>Does not require a SIM card
>Moxie is not developing it
>Does not suck Whatsapp and Skype's dick every chance it gets

You need a phone number to sign up, while you only need a username and password of your choice to create an xmpp account

It doesn't matter where you are if you don't have any logs to give up in the first place

Essential reading:

surveillancevalley.com/blog/government-backed-privacy-tools-are-not-going-to-protect-us-from-president-trump

sandervenema.ch/2016/11/why-i-wont-recommend-signal-anymore/

I think we can all agree that signal is a lot better than WhatsApp. They don't sell your metadata/data, aren't a part of Facebook and the encryption is - admittedly like WhatsApp - pretty gud. If signal would replace WhatsApp, i can definitely live with that.

>muh Nazis
>we’re in total meltdown
>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for 50 pages
No thanks, faggot

With regards to the second link, Signal does not need Google play services (or microg for that matter) for some time now. He has some valid points but Signal is still a worthy WhatsApp replacement, and can be completely used without Google services.

TL;DR Signal is USA Government funded and compromised by its infrastructure

>The money primarily comes through the federal government’s premier Internet Freedom venture capital outfit: Open Technology Fund, which works closely with the State Department’s regime change arm and is funded through several layers of Cold War CIA cutouts

>Signal depends on NatSec cash for continued survival. Exactly how much cash is hard to gauge, as Open Whisper System refuses to disclose its financing structure. But if you tally up documents released by Radio Free Asia’s Open Technology Fund, we know Marlinspike’s outfit received $2.26 million in the span of the past three years — not exactly pocket change.

>Signal runs on Amazon AWS cloud service — and Amazon is itself a CIA contractor. Signal also requires that users tie their app to a real mobile phone number (their identity) and give unrestricted access to their entire address book (the identities of all their friends, colleagues, fellow activists and organizers and sources). Troubling on an even more fundamental level: Signal depends on Apple and Google to deliver and install the app. As one respected security researcher recently pointed out, this is a serious problem because both companies partner with the NSA and can modify the app (at request of, say, the NSA or CIA) without anyone getting wise.

“Google usually has root access to the phone, there’s the issue of integrity. Google is still cooperating with the NSA and other intelligence agencies. PRISM is also still a thing. I’m pretty sure that Google could serve a specially modified update or version of Signal to specific targets for surveillance, and they would be none the wiser that they installed malware on their phones,” wrote Sander Venema

>If they (Signal) ever posed a threat to the United States — and to the corporate monopoly power that calls the shots here — their funding would be pulled and they would cease to exist.

Attached: 1523912801029.gif (235x180, 1.94M)

Holy shit. Big if true.

Still depends on Amazon cloud, even if you download or compile the apk on your own you're still fucked

There's a reason why Moxie shut down LibreSignal. Shady character

Use Wire, XMPP, or Riot/Matrix (with your own encrypted server)

Wire is the normie friendliest out of those three.

Attached: tumblr_p57rfopBKW1qjnhqgo1_540.jpg (540x719, 74K)

Can it do VoIP?

That's a security feature you fucking retard.

>SIM
>Secure

Attached: 1526329056079.jpg (236x147, 19K)

>cloud
Found the tech illiterate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Web_Services

You're learning fast.

All your data is on your phone. Amazon is a feature in this context: It enables Signal to circumvent censorship in some countries. Look up "domain fronting".

I know they enable that.
However you're essentially also saying
>CIA contractor is a feature
implicitly there.

Sure thing, the support is client side though. Jitsi works with the xmpp framework and can do video and voice, but is a standalone application. I think the desktop version can also be used for writing messages. Gajim can do voip as far as I know, but I never tried it.

How is that a security feature in any way or form? I can give the xmpp server I chose my email for recovery, works fine even without giving away my identity

You don't give away your identity, it's a generated hash making your account unique.

You can decrypt the phone number hashes in seconds, making you easily traceable. This is the technology board, you probably should go back to /b/ or Jow Forums

You should simply read the signal docs before posting half knowledge.

>mixing up security and anonymity
for a secure conversation you must know you're having said conversation with the correct person

How about you tell each others your handles like you told each other your phone numbers?

>use their servers,and service
>giving your data

Stop that fud already.

>needs SIM cards
>while promising to care about privacy and security
It's shit. Wire and Riot.im are better.

Team Telegram

>must provide your phone number to use it

into the trash it goes lad

>let's host all our conversations on someones server

You just got DABBED ON

twitter.com/ortegaalfredo/status/995912662130229248

What a bunch of drama queens. Just release it now.

Source?

Look at the post he's replying to ya dum dum.