LTO Tape Drives

redbill me on tape drives. Need solutions for my data hoarding, but I'm poor. Are tape drives worth the price of admission?

Attached: HP StoreEver LTO Ultrium tape drives.png (728x442, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00NT9MGRE
amazon.com/gp/product/B00J88MISC
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage
youtube.com/watch?v=pekgrP-v5O0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>redbill me on tape drives
tape... breaks...

Buy several generation old used drives, specifically LTO-5 or LTO-4 will come under $500 and $300 respectively. Tapes come at around $20 each and are advertised to hold for 30 years and around 1000 continuous read write operations. So this is a long term storage solution with somewhat limited amount of reads before the tape craps out.

However if you're poor consider maybe storing some of the content on multiple DVDs. Access times will be faster and you can make a copy faster.

Aren't blurays just better in every way?(price/longevity/convenience/availability/density/etc...)
They even make some that are supposed to last 50 years, though obviously no one knows whether they actually will yet.

Only LTO-5 can be accessed like normal drive?

Those are still expensive as fuck.

Disc price is outrageous when compared to LTO tapes. Even DVDs run near 4 times cheaper price and space wise.

>Are tape drives worth the price of admission
For large backups? Sure.

For actual online storage? Fuck no

If your just hoarding and storing its amazing.
If you actually want to use it actively, hell no.

Drive itself is mechanically very complex, there are lots of rubber parts. Don't think they can last for very long.

Yeah. The one I have at work has a PCI card with a SCSI connecting to the drive. It's really noisy.

Someone hoarding many terrabytes of data probably doesn't care much about online storage.

Any noise while idle (fan?) or only during reading/writing?

they belong in the fucking trash

>daddy buys me another external hdd each time he cums in my ass

It's noisy all the time whenever turned on. There's additional noise while seeking.

Depends, I have 40TB that I want accessible and online since it's a music, movie, TV, and anime library that I can stream from anywhere I have internet access.

Some people just want bulk storage that rarely gets accessed, but there are plenty of people who DO want to have that data online and accessible.

I have an LTO5 library that my servers back up to every week, and an LTO3 drive that I back up my desktop to. It usually works pretty well, although like other users say, they are noisy and slow (around 40Mb/s write real world), good for long time archival but not if you want to access the stuff frequently. Also, certian commands can be a pain in the arse, like writing across multiple volumes for large backups requires a 9 character tar parameter.

I'm seeing ~1.25TB of bluray at ~$20, with LTO tapes at 1.5TB for about the same.

Where the hell are you finding that sort of deal?

Amazon. 50 25GB blurays for $20.

amazon.com/dp/B00NT9MGRE

>Panasonic, Samsung and Sony BD Drives show slight increase in burn quality, but be careful with higher burn speeds. Vibration test shows imbalance of 6.7g/mm @ 8,000rpm. That's 6x more than the allowed limit. This is what causes loud drives and if you're using an LG, it won't last long. Printing surface is inconsistent, while some prints turn out fine, others don't. The last 14 discs of 2nd spindle were damaged and useless.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00J88MISC

$35, 1.25TB, decent brand.

Can Blu-ray burner drives burn DVDs too? Got a mostly unused 50 pack of Sony's, probably have some old Memorex's around that I might as well use.

Yes, I did one just the other day actually on my bluray writer.

No. It's for archiving shit, not using it for random access.

but you can't rewrite bluray, and tape you can. or I am wrong?

this guy gets it

BD-RE is re-writable, they're far pricier than the standard BD-R though.

BD-RE DL (the 50GB discs instead of 25GB) are even more expensive. A pack of 5 can run you $50-75. And they generally a imported from japan.

Isn't that basically in the same ballpark as a HDD? Are BDs in storage more durable than HDDs in storage or what? You can get 8TB drives for

hard drives only last a few years, blurays last decades.

blurays are obviously not always on storage devices like hard drives.

You store blurays away and only pull them out as needed.

HDDs however generally store a LOT more on them and so get turned on and used even when you're only accessing a single thing on an 8TB disk.

HDDs are great for massive amounts of accessible data. But for long term storage, tape or blurays are generally better options.

M-Disc blurays should last easily decades, and potentially longer. (they claim 1000 years, but I wouldn't pretend that is verified in any meaningful way.)

A few years of running 24/7 or a few years in offline storage and only sporadic access?

I'm saying that if you want to archive data on your shelf, you could replace 100s of individual BDs which have to be managed and organized with a single HDD, apparently without even paying more per TB. Do HDDs degrade over time when offline or what? I know their lifetime is only a few years of active use in a system, but how do they fare otherwise?

reading BDs doesn't affect their lifetime, and hdds suffer from bitrot over time no matter how little you use them.
BDs are also much better at withstanding heat, dust, and moisture. The current standard test for longevity basically baked the discs in an oven/sauna for weeks and they were still fine.

Obviously, hdds are far superior if you're actually USING the storage space, just use enough of them in the right raid setup and replace drives as they fail.
BDs are good for stuff you want to semi-frequently use, but that takes up a lot of space and doesn't need fast access, like media archives(movies, tv shows, photo collections, etc...)
Tapes are for "I might need this sometime in the future", like backups of mountains of data you store in a warehouse incase your normal storage burns down or explodes, or if your company is legally required to keep records in case you get sued a decade later.

Theoretically, M-discs could be the best of both worlds and totally replace tapes, but they haven't been around as long as tapes so no one really knows whether they're legit. According to tests and simulations they should last, but we have actual tapes from 20 years ago that still works and M-discs were invented less than a decade ago.

>multiple DVDs
3TB 2.5" external hdd = $250
6 x 100pack of dvd5 = 3TB = $200 ? not worth it at fucking all, even if you can find dvdv+rDL at same price, three hundred fucking plastic discs

M-discs are very susceptible to scratching.
Store them carefully.

The act of spinning to read may scratch the surface through normal vibration.

There's really not much winning but at least you can put them in a enclosure and forget about them, come heat or high water.

>you have 40TB of music and tv
>upload it to expensive 40TB paid cloud so i can waste my time everytime i want to watch it
you're not making any sense

sure i carry my 7tb ext hdd with me, music and some video i can acees anywhere, on the road, on a farm, on a cruise ship, it would be unpractical to carry all my hoard, do you live somewhere where everyone has stable unthrottled uncapped 30mbps (including bars and hotels with greater specs) to watch at hd video anywhere?

I use bluray rsyncs for snapshotting and hdds for cold storage.

tape drives are too expensive to get something that isn't one of the ancient outdated standards.

Not worth it below 70TB or so.

Personally, I'm holding out for the holographic crystal matrix storage. Keep all you files on superman-style data crystals. Near impervious to the elements, almost indestructible to physical force, totally inert and timeless, made from incredibly simple common materials, and all with an extreme data density of ~360TB per disc. Store them in space, underground, at the bottom of the sea, cast into concrete blocks, etc... and they'll still last longer than human civilization.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_optical_data_storage

Attached: PWOPTJun16-storage-2.jpg (1200x1134, 250K)

Hold out for storage that is probably 10+ years away from being available at consumer prices (at least like 14tb hdd or so)? That's pretty silly.

I'll just keep everything on microfilm until then.

>purchased 32TB of spinning disks and 30TB worth of LTO tapes
>don't even have the time to fill them

Attached: 1514122740034.jpg (409x389, 28K)

Tapes are for backing up your server or NAS, not casual file storage or sharing. That said it's unmatched in terms of price per unit data.

Are you me?

Attached: 1525362392262.jpg (696x391, 74K)

Its also hard to match in cost per drive. Or storage robot if you actually want to access drives without manually swapping them.

That cost virtually kills it for home use. You're probably breaking even with hdd only after you got more storage space than you needed.

LTO drive breaks, cause they moved a safe with 1/2 our LTO drives in them making them jam in machine. Work freaks the hell out. Comes to me "What do we got?".
>I nab some old dell tower servers.
>Went to local electronics store, bought all their 3 tb drives.
>Built with Server 2012r2
>5 drives in raid 10
>2x servers made same way. Had other IT guy bring it to other offsite location.
>Configure backup. goes to main server. Then copies over night to other.
>1x6 weekly, 6x2 incrementals, saved at monthly, 6 months and 1 year and removed old.
They kept that same system going for almost 3 years, it was suppose to just be a bandaid.

>>you have 40TB of music and tv
>>upload it to expensive 40TB paid cloud so i can waste my time everytime i want to watch it
Are you actually retarded?

I don't upload to a cloud, i have 1gbps upload speed at home, I host it all on my home server. No paid cloud bullshit, that'd be fucking retarded.

>advertised to hold for 30 years
go try and restore your HP tapes from 30 years ago XDDD

>XDDD
It's funny because those tapes didn't even exist 20 years ago.

Who ever said they can't do more than 40 mb/s was lying

They can do 150 mb/s and more for a decade now

thanks user, you just reminded me to switch tapes at work

Try reading a book instead. Or maybe just subbing to Netflix/Crunchroll instead of paying hundreds of dollars to back up your pirated shit.

>redbill
that's new.

youtube.com/watch?v=pekgrP-v5O0
BLU-ray backup/hoarding seems like a better option for someone without the knowledge of tape.

>streaming quality
I'd rather neck myself

Also crunchyroll and Netflix per year is enough to buy a 6-8tB HDD every year.

>maybe just subbing to Netflix/Crunchroll instead of paying hundreds of dollars to back up your pirated shit
You realize Netflix and Crunchyroll both for 1 year is $284...right?

For $250 you can buy an 8TB helium sealed HGST enterprise drive.