I'm thinking of getting one of these

I'm thinking of getting one of these.

Anyone has experience with 'em? Equivalent devices? Superior ones?

I'm not interested in streaming, just playing old consoles on new monitors/TVs.

Attached: framemesiter.png (480x266, 69K)

/vr/ knows them well

get the OSSC instead

Get a CRT for a fraction of the cost (free). Don't fall for the BVM/PVM meme. Put that money to better use by buying quality cables or even modding your TV for SCART. You're only going to spend more time configuring it than actually playing on the system. But if you MUST get something listen to because it's Jow Forums approved free as in freedom.

fpbp

Ask on /vr/. Those guys have discussed these things into the ground.

pretty sure the latency on all of these kind of things is sorta bad. people convince them self its good enough but its still not that good.

E M U L A T O R S

They work differently from traditional scalers and don't add nearly as much latency as you might expect. Though you aren't wrong. It's a compromise for video quality and you adapt to the latency really fast. It's about 1ms of lag for the framemiester so overall not noticeable compared to some chinkshit that might add anywhere from 5ms-20ms.
I still suggest getting a CRT anyways.

>Get a CRT for a fraction of the cost (free)

and will ruin your eyes (flicker) and ears (15khz)

You make it sound like you cant ruin your eyes and ears by hunching infront of an LCD and listening to low bitrate audio tracks online. If OP cared about his health, he wouldn't be playing videogames to begin with.

well thankfully you can get like a 65 inch lcd so you don't have to hunch over anything and flac for everything else.

Are you posting from your couch at the moment? Or are you seriously posting with a 65 inch monitor on your desk. Besides, it's not even about the size of the display. As you sit for long periods, your body will naturally start to hunch over. Especially when playing vidya, you'll get into the "gamer pose".

>flac on retro consoles
Do you even realise what this thread is about?

Attached: 1468293887032.gif (800x430, 897K)

>Do you even realise what this thread is about?

you're the one who brought up listening to low bitrate audio tracks online, not me

>As you sit for long periods

okay, then lie down instead.

you're going to fiddle around with it for a couple hours and then rarely wind up actually using it

it takes less time to just set money on fire

>you're the one who brought up listening to low bitrate audio tracks online
I was drawing a comparison to how regardless of how you choose to spend your time infront of a screen and listening to whatever, you'll still end up with sensory damage. TV speakers on an LCD will still sound like shit, even with flac. They aren't up to standard for anything high quality. Trying to transcode these might cause even more auditory interference/noise that could damage hearing. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there.
Nice reddit spacing by the way.
>okay, then lie down instead.
I hope this is bait. Lying down and turning your head will cause even more damage to your neck in a fraction of the time it'll take to notice back pain from bad sitting posture. Unless you want to try and hang your screen above your face.

Attached: 1487396365668.jpg (580x634, 106K)

>Unless you want to try and hang your screen above your face.

well that's the good thing about lcds. You can mount them however the fuck you want and you don't have to worry about it smashing your face in.

>TV speakers

why would you use those?

The XRGB is a great device. Having had one myself for a few years I can safely say it's a great investment. System compatibility was great and customization was fantastic. The lag wasn't very noticeable if at all, though this is dependent on the display it's plugged into. Would definitely recommend. Only downside is the price and the delay switching from 240p to 480i.
Be sure to update it regularly too.

>just playing old consoles on new monitors/TVs.
Emulation exists, why not just do that? I can even emulate PS3 games fine and my computer isn't anything to right home about. What is your aversion to emulation?

None whatsoever... for PS1 and earlier consoles.
PS2 is still not quite there yet.

But I do have all these consoles that I'd like to use before they rot away, instead of them just rotting away.

Not OP but there's something charming about playing on real hardware. With flashcarts becoming more popular, you get the free games from emulation, but with the real hardware limitations like slowdown, locked FPS and playing with an authentic controller the games were designed for and around.

That being said, if OP cares enough about his vidya not to emulate it, he should get a CRT.

My advice would be to sell them. They'll get to the point where keeping them going is too much of a hassle. Their value is good right now.

That's all good advice and all but I'm in a pickle.

I care about my vidya, and don't have much opposed to emulation but I'd prefer playing original hardware where the conditions allow.

Can't ever, never get a CRT because simply no room and family would lose their shit if I get one of those in the house.

Selling them is also not an option, at least not where I currently live. People literally have no interest about retro consoles, and PS1/PS2's go for something like 20$ on craigslist-like sites.
I could go through eBay and shit, but it's way to much of a hassle to try and find buyers, for a reasonable price and make a tiny profit after customs and international trade laws tax the shit out of my imports/exports.

So yeah, I'm open to suggestions.

>family would lose their shit if I get one of those in the house
I take it you don't pay rent? Grow up and move out.
But if that's your situation, and they wouldn't want you bringing in an old power hungry earrape machine, imagine how they would feel about you spending ~$400 on a machine to make old games look clearer. I'd just plug it in and let your TV do the work. You really don't NEED graphics to enjoy the game. That's partially why you still manage to enjoy retro games today.
I take it you've heard about the framemiester from a certain retro youtuber who advocate how to get a high quality picture on your HD display? I know them too. Just consider how you feel about other people telling you to buy a product. You're just being used.
Again, it's your money and your choice. If you really want an upscaler, get the OSSC. Free as in freedom and an active community that will only get better over time as more people get into this hobby aswell.

Why not a small CRT TV? It doesn't have to be a portable one or anything.

>move out

I have but suddenly a family comes into the picture...

TV can't handle PS1, SNES, NES and PS2 is tough to look at but passable.

>Framemeister vs OSSC and being used

I'm sure this is the case, but as far as I can see these are the only two quality options so far. So not much choice in being used.

I guess I could just emulate, but yeah, you make valid points. I'll think about it, thanks user.

Literally impossible to find where I currently live. All are 36''+.

Guy who actually owns and uses one of the here. They are fucking great. The latency is negligible from my experience but I do admit not having many older fighting games which is where any latency would show afaik. There is little to no setup needed as you can just download and use profiles others have already tested to get everything just right. I do that and it saves me any time i would have used tweaking it myself. I would highly suggest getting one of these. CRT purists will always push their tvs but I have rarely seen any of them know jack shit about the framemeister but proceed to shit on it anyways.

Oh yea I didn't mention I had to get a couple of cables to communicate with the modern tv, one being a scart cable.

>Literally impossible to find where I currently live. All are 36''+.
You don't have a tip? That's always worth checking.

Anyways OP, hope you find something that works for your situation. I see a lot of jackasses on here pushing CRTs and emulation when op asked about upscalers and not those. Fucking kek, at least it bumped his thread.

It's not like this thread belongs on Jow Forums anyway.

>TV speakers on an LCD will still sound like shit, even with flac
Why would you use your TV's built-in speakers when you can use your sound system's speakers or headphones?

I'll take my 8" PVM over a 65" LCD any day

doubt the framemiester is only 1ms of lag its a very old device I would imagine its more like 55ms or some thing.

Someone who has no idea what they're talking about.