/wt/ WATCH THREAD

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=NxvRb2o5NBU

>Thread theme (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=7yOehoRTbLs

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/8wRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Previous:

Attached: Tony-Soprano-Rolex-President.jpg (837x1051, 235K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strapboutique.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for new shark mesh bracelets.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180514_175302.jpg (2428x2428, 2.92M)

Reminder there is no drinking in watch thread

Attached: 1522290642006.jpg (4032x3024, 2.4M)

What horology related stocks should I buy today anons?

Post what you’re wearing.

Attached: image.jpg (750x993, 958K)

Yeah until you get hairy arms and it pulls on them. Shark bite yes indeedy.

rolex and zenith

i can't see how omega will make themselves relevant again.

009J today

Attached: 20180514_145747.jpg (2536x2811, 2.35M)

40 years! Congrats

>Yeah until you get hairy arms
Not really a concern for me, honestly. This shark mesh also has a satin finish which is similar to the flattened side of the original Omega shark mesh bracelets from the 1970s.

Watches were the reason I stopped spending big money on my drinking "habit" t-bh.

ALS are having a beer and watches thing.
So beer is on the OK list?

Seiko """"quality""""

Attached: Quality control.jpg (1425x2233, 1.07M)

I mean for $100 bucks that's pretty incredible Rhakesh

for the "boater" in the other thread, it was sad to see the state of your boat.

I have lakes and open water here, we treat our vessels with love and respect here, old and new.

you said "ugh wood on boats is supposed to be dull and salty!". no. it's supposed to be stained, and then coated with gloss to keep the salt off. when the gloss and stain wear off, repeat the stain and gloss.

Attached: Chris Craft Gloss.jpg (500x284, 64K)

haha thanks i have a 50 year chip too, bought them on ebay
nice
>So beer is on the OK list?
not for me :(

Is that strapcode shark mesh? How is it?

kek nice :D

I don't drink, I stopped in 2006 (I get going, and I just can't stop)

Attached: 331A42B5-1CAF-479C-91EE-A7E46FD75C3C.jpg (4032x3024, 2.75M)

Yeah I do the same thing, no idea why, best just to avoid all together

Attached: 93542AD3-EBB4-4539-A16C-07BE56B6D082.jpg (4032x3024, 2.11M)

DELEETE THIS

Any Jow Forums here? I have a Forerunner 10, and it holds up pretty well, but I would like the cheapest running gps watch but that can also play music. I'm tired of bringing my phone along just to listen to music.

agreed

Attached: norris 2020.jpg (725x984, 172K)

Ain't this a gem?

Attached: 4L_LKMRBOxL.jpg (3264x2448, 1.42M)

Hey kid, we heard you like autism, so we put some autism in your autism so you can autist while you autist

Attached: 9ff86c56e8e85e8a31f60d5b225a59e7.jpg (1000x1000, 89K)

Low hanging fruit

it's real.

vostok shipped last night - taking bets on date of arrival

I just straightened the module in my DW5600E-1V, do I have to put grease on the o-ring? It's basically new so it's not dried out or anything

Attached: DW-5600E-1V_1_large.jpg (480x480, 29K)

early july

Hey Rakesh! When are you moving btw? Are you staying in the UK?

My shitizen promaster will be here on Wednesday. Isn't that exciting, /wt/?

Attached: Screenshot_20180514-180502.png (1080x1920, 140K)

Mail day

Attached: image.jpg (750x940, 837K)

why don't you like promasters

I bought it because i like it user what do you mean

>post Rolex Submariner
>gets 10 upvotes max
>maybe one comment that its nice

>some faggot post his Alpinist or other Presage bullshit
>200+ upvotes
>60+ comments and circlejerk abounds

Why are online watch enthusiasts such fucking cancer?

oy, well m8 ya call eet a shitizen

in the other thread there was a 20k IWC

no one but me complimented it. I was saddened that *no one* knew what it was.

Are you the user taking the timezone course?

>first watch, orient bambino
>2k upboats
>"welcome to the club xD"

>first watch, submariner
>200 upboats
>"sure wish MY parents bought me everything I wanted"

There's no point in randomly complimenting run-of-the-mill (even if nice) watches people post with no context or interesting discussion points.

>someone posts a A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk Minute Repeater
>literally 2 comments
>22 upvotes
>two comments about how bulky it is
>other mistake it for a Sevenfriday

Envy

>Just finished college and really wanted to commemorate the occasion. So many people I want to thank: my parents, friends, profs and most importantly Starbucks (ecksdee). Off to bigger and better things!
>Seiko 5

Is it possible that there are watches that you set the time forward by rotating the stem counter-clockwise or did I fuck up something ?

I agree with this desu.

I'm an older man, what is an "upvote"? A positive comment for a watch?

I think it's the latter user

you should be able to rotate any stem counter-clockwise.

what happened

Imagine everyone you talked to carried a bowl. If you liked their comment or post or conversation you have them a M&M. That is an upvote. It's pretty much like a "like" on facebook.

I am repairing pic related and today I put it together.
>No dial and hands on it yet.
>Testing day and date function
>spining stem the normal forward way
>day moves back but jumps back
>date doesn't move
>spining stem backwards
>both day and date moves to next position

Don't know if it was like day before, because neither worked normally when I got it.

Attached: 1521945510868.jpg (1419x1315, 295K)

what do the hands (pinions) do when you turn the stem?

oooh ok, thanks

oh this is very cool user!! what a cool project!

I sure wish I could give you some advice, alas I'm no watchmaker. I hope it comes together smoothly, my hands are a little shakier now, and eyes worse -- so I'm precluded from projects such as these.

This one is a wjean satin H-link shark mesh. Wjean is well known in the Seiko aftermarket bracelet community.

They seems to move forward when turning the stem backwards, but I can't tell for sure which direction is it.
I only fucked with the keyless work and and the day-date stuff.

you can stick a little piece of rodico on the pinion if you can't tell by eye how they're turning. As long as they move forward in the same direction that advances the date, I guess it's fine. Never seen that before.

This is the first watch I repair and it's really fun.
I had tools to do it because I repair phones, but I bought some proper tools today. Your hands get stabilised when working under magnification tho. I really advise you to get into it.

However, it is really not going smoothly but I manage. I lost a flat spring thing, but I reproduced it (took fucking hours).

>running
You're looking for /fa/ or /out/, Jow Forums is bloatmaxxing

Where can you get those wjeans anyway? I remember trying to find them on ebay (since that's where old forum posts were saying to look) and came up empty.

Just kek'd in my pants.
Stabbed a hole in a paper and put it on the pivot.
It is really going forward by turning the stem backwards. Gonna post webm tomorrow with the hands on.

Interesting. Look forward to the webm user. Any caliber number you can see?

This is a great chance to learn (I'm sure you know that).

Naturally you can use what you've learned on this watch, with your net project. I might try it, that just seems so cool (I love watches, I look at them all day).

Rad that you reproduced the flat spring, you must have the patience of a saint.

the collection of tools is building, that's killer.

That's interesting to read about the hands stabilizing under magnification. I wonder if surgery is like that. It must be.

I'd have to start with the most elementary of movements -- you already have experience working on phones, which gives you great hand/eye coordination.

It's the orient 910

Attached: 1523251400190.jpg (1200x796, 145K)

I'm not rakesh, I'm the freediver in aus

daily reminder that watches are for fags

Attached: 1519811952734.gif (536x440, 156K)

Anons told me to buy a pocket watch to learn the business. I didn't do that. I got really upset that the hungarian watchmaker user here refused to fix this, so I decided that I'll do it myself.
It was a wild ride, oh boy... Made sure to take pictures, that was my luck.
btw, my dentist told me about the hands getting stabilised under magnification. My hands are really-really shaky so I was scared to get started with phones back then, but it really is fine under when working under the magnifier.

Attached: 1520815678177.jpg (1200x796, 53K)

kill yourself, watchfags :]

Daily reminder that shitposting is for fags
t. fag

calling out watchfags isn't shitposting at all, kiddo

yeah mine are shaky too, you're giving me the confidence to try. I'll remember to take pictures too, that's a genius idea (very cool about your dentist telling you the hands stabilizing)

cool watch to start with!

oh ok, because I saw Rakesh's order form for his Vostok today too. Russia to Aus hopefully won't be long? I scuba, freediving must be amazing -- I've seen you guys at incredible depths

Do you even watch anime pussy

>get the meme casio ana-digi
>no finishing
wtf I hate casio now

some more tips
>parts really like to fly over the room, be prepared
>check out his videos: youtube.com/user/jewldood
>don't fix it if it aint broke

The SKX by necessity has to make some QC compromises to hit its $200 pricepoint while being ISO compliant. Citizen struggles to achieve that target with its eco-drive powered divers, and gave up trying with mechancials.

Mind sharing what you paid for that BN0150? I had thought that Citizen had discontinued that model entirely. No one had any stock of them for several months, and now Citizen appears to have raised their MSRP.

for sure (I bet with springs, tiny parts fly everywhere!?)

I'll watch the video now, and surely I won't fix anything if it's not broke

Thanks for the advice man!!

What dose my watch say about me. I dress nicely, I'm athletic build and dress in neutral slacks with button down shirts. Most are tailored

Attached: 20180514_163830.jpg (2062x2489, 2.86M)

His site is strapboutique.com but keep the following in mind: He is terrible about responding to emails, and he is shipping from Canada.

I tried to email him the day after I ordered and didn't hear anything back from him. I assumed I was going to have to do a chargeback but then my mesh bracelet showed up today. From what I am led to believe he still fills his orders, but getting in contact with him otherwise is damn near impossible.

Thanks m8.

No problem.

I haven't actually gone scuba diving yet, I'm gonna do my padi later this year for that. From having scubas around me though I can tell you that you're a lot louder and heavier than me in the water! Freediving is fantastic, I feel like a seal in the water, but it requires a lot of patience and mental training. Its something that takes years of gradual improvement, and I'm only early days myself so have a short bottom time. That said, calmness and breathing techniques help you outside the ocean too, so there's no harm in trying them out. My strap arrived today so now I'm trying to resist the urge to babysit my tracking

Attached: IMG_20180515_111017.jpg (2831x2015, 1.18M)

>Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
>40mm
>limited run of 500 pieces
Why? Why can't they just make a Fifty Fathoms that's 40mm? Why does there always have to be a catch?

Attached: blancpain_lede.jpg (2880x1620, 438K)

Attached: Swatch-group02.png (1200x1131, 31K)

Because the Swiss love to fuck with people

this. swatch and their LE bs.

That is me yup. In fact, I just released this Incabloc on my first try with a 10x loupe and 2 tweezers so I’m pretty proud.

Attached: image.jpg (750x998, 941K)

>Fifty Fathoms
I would love one, but they are really overpriced because the "muh oldest watchmaker" meme.

It's the bezel that does it for me. It's a beautiful everyday watch for the white collared folks.

I have never understood the appeal of a dive watch for everyday wear, unless you dive every day.

>the bezel
That domed sapphire glass is really hard to make.

Think it'll get any easier any time soon? I do love me some DOME.

The aesthetic is something you get or you don't. I can't convince you to like divers anymore than you can convince me to dislike them.

Attached: Blancpain-Tribute-To-Fifty-Fathoms-MIL-SPEC-Baselworld-2017-1.jpg (1500x1000, 173K)

I don't dislike them, I just don't think they really fit an every day position. I really only wear mine at the beach and the like, or when I'm literally diving. Just seems to make sense.

What's your everyday watch and job?

Mostly vintage dress watches (I'm a sucker for them), freelance IT (love making my own schedule).

It's going to show up today, r-right?

Attached: Screenshot_20180514-190703_Chrome.jpg (1080x5124, 794K)

>freelance IT
fuck I envy you. My hours are pretty good but I hate being a wageslave

Don't be too envious, the company I generally work for has been drying up lately, and I ruined my vehicle last night so I'm gonna have to catch busses or ubers for a bit.

Watches aren't for playing music. You want a smart watch.

Quit running and start lifting.