Dell Precision PSA

I wouldn't ever recommend getting a Dell Precision with dual high end processors if you expect to actually use the processing power. Look at what Level 3 (highest level) support has to say about a clear overheating issue.

Thoughts? Will any amount of flaming get them to fix it??

Attached: Capture5.png (557x436, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tomsguide.com/answers/id-1878056/control-fan-speed-speedfan.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>actually use the processing power.
Doesn’t translate to
>running Prime95

Going to agree with tech support here.

Selling all my Dell stock and organizing a class action lawsuit right now thanks user

I was actually trying to use Blender, I also used Prime95 as another reference. Don't be a prick.

Why exactly does it suck? What processors are you using? What kind of errors are you experiencing with your overheating issue? You were vague in that pic and you're vague now.

Vague in the pic? That's the Customer Support Rep talking. This is a known problem with Precision T7500/T7600/T7610 systems using any processors rated at 130W. It doesn't matter what I'm using exactly, it's how they are designing their products to allow extremely high temperatures with no response from the fans because they want to be like Apple with nearly silent systems. It just leads to premature failure with absolutely no excuse for making such decisions.

Look it up, you'll see a lot about these issues online and Dell has done next to nothing about it besides releasing a setting to let all fans run on high 24/7 which results in an airplane in the room.

So what you're saying is you find the cooling to be inefficient, and the only way to make the coolers efficient is having the fans at high RPM. Sounds like a very common problem to me.

And unless you were having BSOD's, random reboots/shutdowns, or the CPU started tossing logic errors, from a technical standpoint, the PC is operating as intended. I mean this is expected from any OEM really. Don't like it? Get new coolers. Get new fans.

You do realize that the Dell Precision series of workstations are the pinnacle of professional laptops? Thinkpads are cheap plastic toys with nice keyboards and Elitebooks are expensive hunks of plastic.

I had a severe issue where my entire display froze, garbage was sent to my monitors and then blender crashed likely due to logic errors from the CPU causing my display driver to crash (my GPU is solid no matter what I throw at it, ruling out power issues). I've had complete Blender and Windows crashes, and I've had memory fail due to high temperatures coming off of CPU 2 (the RAM stick closest to the CPU failed, and again CPU temperatures were well above 90C). Why are you defending them? Shouldn't we expect very expensive systems like these to work as expected without modification? My heatsinks are obviously proprietary, so how am I expected to change them?

I'm talking about their Desktops, thanks.

Defending them? I'm not. Just saying that's how OEM's are. That sounds like an entirely defective unit all around.

Also I was running Blender on the CPUs, the GPU wasn't being used for that workload. Just to clarify. If I run something taxing on the GPU I won't encounter such issues.

It's not defective, I can run Blender in the very coldest points of Winter, when my CPUs idle in the low 20s. It's just overheating. That's all there is to it. I've tested gaming workloads (a nice mix of GPU and CPU, don't give me the "kid" crap) and it's rock solid. It's only once I really use the CPUs to their full potential that I have issues.

I mean if you designed a system, would you have it ramp fan speeds up only after the CPU averaged 87C on the whole package?

A lot of video cards do that at stock too. The stock fan curve just seems off to me. I mean noise is going to be an after effect regardless of what you do. Have you checked the BIOS for a way to manually set a fan curve? Or to select a different preset. (My motherboard offers quiet, standard, and aggressive fan curve modes).

Changing the curve should make it so the fans ramp up earlier. Try something like

tomsguide.com/answers/id-1878056/control-fan-speed-speedfan.html

Why would you buy an OEM desktop unless you're a company? The reason why every company explicitly states that they don't want retards suggesting to IT that they can build a better PC for less than Dell/HP is due to the service contracts and next business day service.

And what is stopping you from setting your own fan curve with something like speedfan? i mean this is clearly your fault for buying an OEM system.

And I'm talking about their laptops, thanks.

I've owned them, they're good. I wish the design philosophy for those carried over to their desktop systems.

What are your thoughts on cast iron cookware?

Setting it with Speedfan is like flipping a switch. Past a certain point the fans go full bore, but before that they sit at idle. I've heard what they sound like when the BIOS controls them and they don't speed up to the insane speeds they do with speedfan.

Great if you take care of it? What's your point?

As someone who has lead a team of tech support agents, how about you just follow their instructions and then do the I told you so dance once you're proven right instead?

If your attitude in this thread is anything to go by, you've been escalated because you're a prick and level one and two just didn't want to deal with you.

Then it's time to get a custom fan controller and remember to avoid buying dell anything including laptops, they are shit, thinkpad4life.

I've followed his instructions for weeks. He's going in circles. I give him all the information he wants, he ignores what I say and asks the same question a different way. Wouldn't that get annoying? Obviously I was polite for most of the conversation, but once he started picking and choosing which messages to reply to I got annoyed. He ignored the plethora of information I gave him relating to how hot the CPUs got, exactly how my system behaved, the references to other people having the same issues with the same system I have and newer. He's just going off a script that basically entails running me in circles with no true chance of anything being done about the issue. I've even told him exactly what would fix the issue (instead of 87C being the turning point for the fans to rev up, change it to 72C). Then he goes on to admit that 87C isn't safe, but that it's "expected". How is that acceptable? Pure incompetence on HIS part, not mine. That's all I see.

You're right, but I don't know why people don't push for better products being released to the masses. Not everyone knows how to build, doesn't mean they deserve a shit system. That's like saying anyone that isn't a doctor deserves poor treatment options.

>Not everyone knows how to build
No but your local tech store probably does and offers such service for free if you buy all the parts from them, most of them even have prebuild setups, there's also better brands like Asus or Thinkcentre.

Ehhh Asus products can get very sketchy, especially some of their cheaper laptops.

Don't have much experience with Lenovo.

I will say this is the first Dell product I've ever owned with a poorly implemented cooling solution, but it's an issue present in essentially every desktop Precision system to date.

>I give him all the information he wants, he ignores what I say and asks the same question a different way.
Funny, because according to the only screenshot you've posted I see him asking you to answer a question and explain a vague or unclear statement. Stop being so fucking adversarial you twat, then you might actually get somewhere.

On behalf of all support everywhere, we get enough of your kind.
>Baaaaw problem!
Ok, what exactly is the problem?
>Problem is because oranges
Sir, you haven't explained the fucking problem.
>BAAAAW YOU'RE INCOMPETENT

Just wait

Attached: S1.png (603x740, 46K)

Attached: S2.png (674x844, 69K)

Read:
Then:
Could I have been more specific? Past this he repeatedly asks the same questions and then goes on to say that he pp

Attached: S3.png (520x743, 60K)

probably can't do anything because he can't find a system for him to test for the same issue.

>Could I have been more specific?
Yes, because he asks specific questions which you did not fucking answer you toolbox.

I'm done with this shit. I'm middle management now, I don't need to deal with people like you. Heck, I don't even need to deal with listening to agents whinge about people like you. I wish you the best of luck in not cooperating with the support structure provided.

>using a laptop for any heavy lifting
You can only blame yourself really.

Oh the ones about powering the system back on and how long I have to wait? That is literally irrelevant given all of the other information I gave him. He's literally just giving me busy work, he even later goes on to say that "he can't justify spending more time on this". There's no excuse for not being able to see the CRYSTAL CLEAR issue at hand. He didn't ask about those particular points again, anyways, so it was likely just scripted questions. Not to mention I had to wait multiple days between messages which made communication a nightmare, and they never offered me a better medium of communication.

Your shitty attitude is proof enough as to why customer support sucks.

>I didn't see the point to his questions because I know better than support!
Yuh-huh.
I've seen a billion customers like you. I used to send you guys to the in-country service delivery manager because he's a former engineer. He'll retire in a year and his whole attitude just oozes "listen up you insignificant child, I'm too old to put up with you." Did he have more important things to do? Probably. But those conversations were fun to listen to because the idio... valued customer would always cave and go right back to listening not to him, nor to third level or second level but right back to FLO. And then FLO would solve their issue quickly and easily because you need to realise just how much like every other fucker who ever drew breath on this planet you actually are.

Dafuq are you doing mate, you're talking to tech support, you think they give a flying fuck what some random fuck thinks about better cooling solutions? He is trying to help, why you wasting his time? And if you've already convinced yourself it's a problem with overheating, do as you yourself suggested, change the fan curve and don't waste his time.

Redo thermal paste and adjust fan curves. Pretty simple.

I’ve reapplied the thermal paste obviously... no fan curve settings for this system

Its common knowledge around here that Dell is shit.

Some Intel mobile CPUs are rated to get up to 100C. My old T420 with SandyBridge would get up to 98C going full bore. This is why laptops will never be a replacement for a desktop. They have no room to breathe. If you're worried about it catching flame, you can always undervolt.

At this point, I say pull your data off, sell the rig, and use the money to buy the components for a custom rig instead of OEM crap.

Questions don't have points.

Can confirm I have a precision bought a few months back, runs at 80+c idle

It was comped tho so like whatever