Gentoo - best OS i have ever seen

Gentoo - best OS i have ever seen.

Attached: 2018-05-15-142913_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

morpheus.2f30.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions#Gentoo.2FFuntoo_Linux
github.com/themix-project/oomox
github.com/worron/ACYLS
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

By what metric?

All parameters

The only problem with it is portage, slow af and a total mess.

Gentoo is only the Kernel.
The OS is called GNU

Gentoo is literal perfection desu

Attached: IMG_20180330_004725.jpg (3264x2448, 3.81M)

You should actually consider suicide user

So edgy XD

Please rate

Attached: Screenshot_20180514_141641.png (733x452, 91K)

are you shiteing me portage is one of the best
it's slow because its a source based distro, so of course its fucking slower than apt get you donkus fuck go get educated, to sign up for distro is to sign up for compilation all day everyday

fuck that's sexy

>100 pixel borders around every window
user...

How i can make this wallpaper anyone knows?
xsetroot -bitmap?

Attached: COigppplbM1TyDnHN6Ntw9saX-V3U-uMy9liDC6X6TQ.png (640x400, 242K)

laughing my butt off
pathetic screen and you decide to waste what few pixels you do have

I thought xsetroot was only for setting flat colors to background
most people use feh to do their wallpaper

>pentium III
wie?

Maximum freetard/10

>being this butthurt
Pythin is shit, single-core dependency check? That's what I'm talking about.

Unusability

> gentoo is great, the only thing which is wrong with it is the thing that makes gentoo gentoo

morpheus.2f30.org/
is a nice small distro. or just run emacs on a hardened kernel

AHEM

Attached: slackglow.jpg (520x104, 33K)

slackware was unironically the least comfy distro I ever tried
is there a derivative with a sane package management system?

Yeah, it's called Slackware with slackpkg installed. Just use a slackbuilds manager. It will handle dependencies (it will ask you to confirm them just like apt). But you have the benefit of the packages being mostly vanilla without distro-specific bullshit and without SystemD if that's your thing. Managing a Slackware build for me was informative and interesting. There wasn't anything extremely difficult, but you need to get into some system files and do simple editing, you'll learn where things are and what they do pretty quickly. After your initial setup, putting all the programs you need, everything else is a breeze.

It just gets out of your way.

are you actually fucking retarded?
a 2s reverse image search gave me the link to the wallpaper right away.
spoonfed fuck.

Attached: 1807x1080_px_anime_Serial_Experiments_Lain-534005.png (1600x956, 347K)

How would you know? You run clover.

This. Always use feh. Works like a charm.

Is there a phone version of gentoo?

You can install gentoo on playstation

Which is a default Gentoo image.

Maximum customizability and speed. Gentoo is the least pozzed distro of the GNU system. 100% Poetteringware free (if you so choose)!

No you got it all wrong! LINUX is the kernel and the OS is GNU/Linux, or as I have recently taken to called GNU+Linux. The distribution is thus called Gentoo GNU/Linux

actually portage is only slow because they fell for the python meme. Use eix for searching packages.

>I am too retarded to install gentoo
Gentoo is only unusable on really low-end computers, IF you don't use distcc. pls unmerge your self!

Slackware will be abandonware when its leader dies. And I didn't like the installer because it won't warn you if you don't install everything that the script needs.

>implying that CloverOS isn't just pre-riced gentoo with binhost

Gentoo runs on ARM and ARM/ARM64 if that's what you ask.

*taken to call it

Viel Zeit

That feel when too dumb to use Gentoo

>believing package manager is more important than philosophy, build from source, openRC, etc.

It's not actually very difficult. You learn as you need to.

YMMV if it's worth it for you. If fedora or mint or whatever does all you need, use that.

xubuntu =

= shit

Attached: muhXFCE.png (1366x768, 1.7M)

How?

How does it differ from Arch?

Attached: arglinugs.png (512x512, 51K)

the only thing they have in common is that they're both rolling distros, everything else is different

>every screenfetch is people using secondary hardware like a shit net/ laptop
>no one uses it on their main hardware

that shows what it's worth. shit.

Attached: C9DbYRkUQAA9XFw.jpg (558x558, 26K)

Running it on my Ryzen 7 rig at home. I'll post when I get back from the office. Gentoo isn't anything spectacular, but I strongly prefer source as a matter of principle.

I tried to run Gentoo at one point but I got too tired waiting for even the simplest toolchains to compile

Like how is it different? Arch is pretty much you have to manually install everything, the only thing that really is "Arch" is Pacman and the AUR.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions#Gentoo.2FFuntoo_Linux

that could be said of almost any distro. sure, many come with a default desktop environment but nothing stops you from uninstalling it and installing a new one

to be less pedantic: gentoo is a lot like arch in that the base install is fairly minimal and gives you the freedom to choose which DE/browser/terminal you want to use. the differences are

>gentoo uses openrc by default, arch uses systemd
>gentoo package manager (portage) builds most packages from source whereas pacman downloads precompiled binaries

there's a few other differences but portage vs pacman and openrc vs systemd are the major ones

Pretty onions playlist

Jow Forums never talks about Slackware (or Salix for that matter). Oddly absent from discourse here, seeing as how it's a pretty well-established distro.
I've always been interested in running Slackware. Just never got around to doing it. Guess pkgmgmt always threw me for a loop (yes, I know about slackpkg and swaret).
Maybe sometime soon I'll give it a whirl. For now, I'm pretty content with Void, even with all the pony-shit memes and missing-dev debacle.

Similar situation here, user. Only replace Gentoo w/ Funtoo.

me too

Attached: 2018-05-16-032827_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 491K)

>98mb
>95mb
okay fuckers its time for me to say bye bye to the arch

>source games don't work in gentoo

figures

Attached: ragingred.png (219x218, 96K)

gentoo saved my wife's bf life

because minimalism

i hope you minimalist yourself

imperial*

Why not? Source comes with a runtime, right?

Steam*

>cupcakKe
do you perchance also wear programming socks user?

Attached: 1526262703295.jpg (641x530, 25K)

how?

Gentoo is nice, and just as flexible as debian which I like, but it takes too damn long to set everything up.
5 years ago I was fine with that but now I just need something that's fast to deploy, debian offers that + it can be as stable or as bleeding edge as you want.
Also gentoo cripples older machines if you don't have access to a faster distcc slave

Attached: Screenshot_20180426_202322.png (1366x768, 1.38M)

how long did it take to compile firefox on your rig lol

are you stuck in 2005? you need more pixels man

it doesn't break like arch and stupid potter is out ofpicture along with NSA

>compiling firefox
Libreoffice took more than a day on my pentium m

you are the true gen-tule man

i salute you

Please tell me you at least used distcc

no

very carefully

Attached: rice.png (1366x768, 865K)

Wait do you unironically use gentoo? I thought it was a meme

>Gentoo - best OS i have ever seen.
Yes.

Attached: 2018-05-16-175526_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 159K)

I wish Jow Forums would look like that by default. Beautiful.

It actually werks very well, It's like debian testing.

It's a solid distro if you want to take the time to learn portage, its package manager.
It's probably the most stable rolling release distro and you have tons of options for customization.

gentoo is the distro for people with way too much free time.

pls tell

Too much free time and below 18: Arch
Above 18: Gentoo

You just can not go to the job for one day or do it at the weekend

install bspwm, polybar and urxvt
skim through the documentation and configure them so they look good
I use firefox 55 with vimperator, 4chanX and oneechan and I'm using an edit of twily's css
you should probably make the newest version look good though, I don't use it because of vimperator
(or just switch to qutebrowser, it's what I'm gonna do when I decide it's finally time to update)
make firefox css and oneechan colors match your terminal and polybar colors
you can use pywal or this git.2f30.org/colors to generate colors based on your wallpaper
tweak them a bit manually so they're clearly visible on the background
use compton for transparent borders
if you use gtk applications a lot:
gtk: github.com/themix-project/oomox
icons: github.com/worron/ACYLS
that's it I think
oh, and be sure to install gentoo

Attached: 2018-04-09-224801_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.16M)

I love you, have a rare Terry

Attached: 5.png (460x460, 410K)

Is this the new desktop thread?

Attached: Screenshot.png (1920x1080, 392K)

I heard one can download and use compiled programs in Gentoo, and somehow use Arch repos, how to?

>and somehow use Arch repos
nope
>I heard one can download and use compiled programs in Gentoo
You install the *-bin version of the package. The default repository only has very few binary packages though, if you want binaries of everything you have to use cloveros or some other meme garbage. Or simply install debian.

you can get big applications like browsers and libreoffice precompiled from the official repos
you can also just use cloveros, they have a binary repo with lots of stuff
and yes, you can install pacman and configure it to use Arch repos, wouldn't recommend it though

you either use borders, titlebars or both
you do NOT use NONE . (period!)

(unless your windows are rounded, in that case it's okay)

Deema, my fellow Gentooshnik, are you here?

That is beautiful how do i do that

Attached: 1500694775647.jpg (1280x720, 72K)

woops

Attached: e55.jpg (1890x1417, 161K)

But my main hardware is my Thinkpad. No reason to have a dedicated tower if you're not gaming.

share PS1 plasea, looks great.

>rounded
Found the basedboy

I agree with you

I'm using vi editing mode in bash
if you want to try that out, here's the PS1 string I'm using "┌─╼ \[\e[0;34m\]\u\[\e[1;35m\]::\[\e[0;34m\]\h \[\e[1;34m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n──╼ "
this └[ins] is not part of PS1, it's displayed by readline and it indicates whether I'm in insert mode or command/normal mode (readline is the gnu lib in charge of handling input on the command line for bash and a lot of other cli programs, bash has nothing to do with this)
put this in your .bashrc to change readline settings for bash accordingly
set -o vi
bind 'set show-mode-in-prompt on'
bind 'set vi-ins-mode-string └[\1\e[34;1m\2ins\1\e[0m\2]'
bind 'set vi-cmd-mode-string └[\1\e[35;1m\2cmd\1\e[0m\2]'

you can put those settings in ~/.inputrc instead if you want to apply them to all cli programs using readline like python, fdisk, etc (and if you do, don't forget to include /etc/inputrc)
and make sure you the latest version of readline (you should have at least 7.* I think), since you can't change the mode indicator string on earlier versions
the indicator will always be at the beginning of the last line of your PS1, hopefully they'll implement the \m escape in bash soon (so the position of the indicator in PS1 can be defined like so PS1='\u@\h \m $ ')
anyway, see the archwiki or something for more details on readline, inputrc and vi editing mode

just use this PS1 string if you don't want to get into that
"┌─╼ \[\e[0;34m\]\u\[\e[1;35m\]::\[\e[0;34m\]\h \[\e[1;34m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n└────╼ "

I expected that ins had an actual meaning, didn't know it was for indicating the vi editing mode, thanks you user for explaining it for a brainlet like me, I have no use at moment for the insert mode so I think I'll just take the last string, thanks you again your your time.

Attached: aqua.png (1196x1674, 1.03M)

I run two Slackware setups, one on bare metal and one on a VM as a 'testing ground'. I've always been surprised by the lack of coverage Slackware gets on Jow Forums. It's an excellent distro.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-16_19-11-56.png (1920x1080, 824K)

>Slackware will be abandonware when its leader dies
Seeing as how slackware is the most basic/vanilla distro I find it hard to believe there aren't people that would continue developing it.