Why do people say that Generation Z is the most tech literate generation...

Why do people say that Generation Z is the most tech literate generation? Is tapping shiny buttons on a slab of glass all it takes to be tech literate now? Most GenZ kids have very minimal, otherwise no contact with desktop computers outside of school libraries. They have been raised on touch, and I doubt most of them can even type with more than two fingers. Many of them have never had to figure out how to fix a tech-related problem themselves, and they seem to be a generation that despises tinkering
Before underageb&s get angry with me, yes I understand there are probably GenZers who know are, in fact, tech literate, but they are very few and far between
>tfw you realize its only going to get worse with generation alpha

Attached: 980x.jpg (980x551, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

True, they are like zombies.

>no contact with desktop computers outside of school libraries
This is true and it angers me.

GenZ's the most overrated generation

Attached: revy_84.png (600x600, 357K)

Because the millennial generation raised them to be tech literate. The rate probably isn't much higher than the millennial generation though, but keep in mind that even most of the older millennials had exposure to computers through all 12 years of their primary education.

Gen Z is old enough to post here

The only people who say that are tech illiterate,so you shouldn't believe them.

Gen X is the most tech literate.

Tech literacy has been going downhill for decades.
I doubt anyone outside of China will be able to code in 50 years time.

Everything is made too simple so people never learn anything.

yep. young people are kinda retarded

>tfw I'm the only one with a rooted phone and linux desktop in my group of 21 year olds in uni
Im 20 tho

Attached: dab.jpg (884x603, 59K)

sad

I did however stumble into an aquaintance from school recently and we talked chinkshit, and I mentioned wanting to get a used x200, he asked me if it's to libreboot, when I said yes, he talked about how spectre and meltdown would still leave it vulnerable, it was a fun talk, I haven't had anyone know what I'm talking about irl, too bad i don't know how to contact him, since we dont use social media
He is studying program systems(rough translation)
And me automation so maybe that has something to do with that all

>gen z doesnt use desktop computers
What the fuck are you talking about? Yes they do, outside of school too. If anything thats generation alpha.

because it's talking about a generation at large. so if you look big picture, which I understand is difficult for you, there is a higher percentage of tech literate people. A small percentage of highly tech literate people is going to lose out to essentially everyone being somewhat tech literate

Some may. The overwhelming majority have a smartphone as their only computing device

the bait is real
keep trying, faggot it's not obvious or anything..

>be me
>german college student, 19yo
>use rooted android, gnu/linux fully encrypted laptop
>corebooted, too
>every other guy I met so far uses windows 10 or osx
>most have iphones
>people think I'm weird because I care
>i think they're weird for choosing cs when they don't care
It's fine this way, but I don't think it'll be easy to finish university like this

This is the actual real problem: kids are getting dumber and dumber. Baby boomers mostly consisted of tards who went into the great depression because they couldn't into money (neither could the government).

So instead of MENSA-grade smart people having kids you have all these dumb fucks being born. The trend will continue until idiocracy becomes fact rather than fiction.

>i think they're weird for choosing cs when they don't care

They are, and it's causing serious harm.
They are dumbing down CS to the point where a degree is worthless just to cater to such people.

>Baby boomers
>great depression

wat?

The Great Depression was 1929, you fucking moron. Most of the people who lived through that are dead.
Boomers are 1947 and up because they're named for the WWII baby boom.

>rooted android
Today it is really easy to do, and honestly unnecessary for most people.
>gnu/linux fully encripted laptop
Corps and Govs don't "hack" hard-drives no more, they collect web data and mine your social media profiles, so useless and just a hurdle for day to day use.

Gen Z is overrated.
I remember having to explain the process of writing of a wordpress post to my colleagues.
Most girls don't even have computers, just smartphones.
Boys only care about flavor of the month stuff like fortnite or some eceleb bullshit.
I haven't met a single person that uses linux or gives a fuck about their privacy online yet.
>t. Gen z

And you well probably fail and they won't

Point is just like their parents they were dumb fucks and so were they and the kids they gave birth to.

Don't you fucking get it, the weak are spreading like cancer and overwhelming the strong.

Attached: The+Baby+Boom+Generation+is+born_.jpg (960x720, 94K)

Not him but you should encrypt the hard drive of a laptop in case it gets stolen.

I am fairly sure the government has backdoors for OPAL 2, but I'm even more sure junkies and niggers don't, so that's a perfectly fine option if you want minimum "hassle".

>Don't you fucking get it, the weak are spreading like cancer and overwhelming the strong.

No we believe you.
You're a prime example yourself.

Gen Z is no more tech literate than any other generation. The vast majority of them are dumb normies, but, like with all other gens, there are some with an inquisitive nature that keep asking questions and learn things.

I mean, I do keep sensitive data encrypted, but mostly on an external HDD, not on my personal laptop, but I get your point.

I used to be pretty smart desu. Got 3.5-4.0s in highschool but then I became a druggie. It was either that or neck myself, I quit a decade ago but the damage will follow me to the grave.

Anyway at least I'm smart enough to realize how fucking stupid each successive generation of kids are getting. Now kids who grow up can't even do basic home repairs like change a fucking doorknob.

Attached: a-doorknob_o_3826637.jpg (797x618, 291K)

>antisocial media
Why do you think I use that garbage?

The problem is that you no longer have to learn how to use technology, or even understand what any of it does. Modern OS are so idiotproof that I feel like I am being insulted when I have to use the uni macs. You don't fix new technology anymore either, you just use it for a year or two and trade up when the next iShit or Poodroid comes out. Modern laptops are so locked down and damn near impossible to repair, even simple shit like changing a battery. It's a fucking crime that tech companies can get away with this. As a result, no one tinkers, or cares to learn about how the device they spend 90% of their life glued to work.

hey when I was little I ran into doorknobs at home all the time
I honestly have no idea how I did it

i think that applies to all generations. you could literally have 230002 iq and not know how to turn a stove on. environment you grew up in.

Well this could have gone 2 ways really.
When I started attending uni it was kind of the same situation for me however since I'm somewhat more charismatic I was able to convert quite some people to start using Linux during these 3 years.

At least what you shouldn't do is being autistically defensive about your setup since people will think you're weird and you might become an outcast that way. The best way to go about it is just act more casual and try to be encouraging in a playful way to get people to convert while also making friends.

>Why do people say that Generation Z is the most tech literate generation?
Because those people are dumb. All consumer technology was retard-proofed before gen z

I always try to tell people but they're not even interested. I always act encouraging, my girlfriend of 2 years switched after the first without me ever saying a word to encourage it

Studying CS has nothing to do with tech literacy . You can be the most tech illiterate , anti-technology unabomber fucker around and still have a real interest in CS.

Do you get it?

Attached: Herodotus.jpg (1739x2100, 2.75M)

Knowing random skills like fixing a doorknob isn't really a sign of intelligence user. Neither is a good gpa. You're kind of a silly person.

careful, you're implying being a dipshit can be taught. You can quickly learn how to change a doorknob by RTFM.

>$100 for pedro to do it for you
or
>$0 to do it yourself
lmao yeah man, changing doorknobs is fo suckas XD

Absolutely nonsensical post. Doesn't even vaguely work as a coherent response .

It takes a while. However it also helps if you bring it with more playful, casual remarks. For example when we needed webservers on our laptops for a project a lot of people were struggling with XAMPP I just casually told them nginx was merely an apt away to get everything up and running at once and more stuff like that. If you bring it the right, friendly way they might see the the plus side to to Linux when they're struggling. If you let them see that Linux is easier and more practical that way and keep at it some people might convert eventually if you keep it up.

Also the more people you manage to convert the more people will follow like sheep so it eventually becomes easier.

>be in class
>have some free time
>Stacy says she's going to work on her essay
>pulls out her iPhone and starts tapping away
>she's literally writing an essay on an iPhone
>out of curiosity ask her if she uses a computer to write essays
>she says she's never owned a computer
>mfw

Attached: 1515009558443.jpg (1012x810, 137K)

> while update && upgrade in terminal
user, are you hacking the white house?

I was born in 2000 and I use Gentoo.

Attached: 1523489009469.gif (600x600, 1.96M)

That's cause you're a virgin

>muh dick

>rooted
>no custom ROM

>Why are kids so inattentive and flighty, preferring the simplest possible interaction medium instead of a huge desktop machine that takes hours of patient configuring and years of honed technical skill to run properly?

>Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong

>I doubt most of them can even type with more than two fingers
It will surprise you, but typing method have zero in common with tech literacy.

t. 31yo professional archicad user who type with only two-three fingers.

Because they are getting laid.

Attached: 1526159959348.jpg (676x673, 126K)

>huge desktop machine that takes hours of patient configuring and years of honed technical skill to run properly
you know this isn't true

It's as bad as you think even in tech fields

There are maybe 5 people in my course who I would call Jow Forumsworthy

the rest struggle with even googling problems

Where are you getting this statistic from?

Have you gone outside at all in the past 8 years?

Yes, and everyone I know owns a PC. that's why im questioning your claims

>IQ is highly correlated with the ability to change door knobs
The only thing you've proven so far is that you're bad at persuasive writing.

Everyone you know is a 12 year old?

>desktop computers
>outside

outside your living quarters retard

Changing doorknobs is actually kinda easy. Just unscrew the old one and shove the new one in

So user is kinda right, if you can't do something as basic at that then you shouldn't reproduce. Now imagine doing something as complex as raising a child.

>Gen X is the most tech literate.
>Tech literacy has been going downhill for decades.

You nailed it. Most of Gen X have used DOS, which means they naturally understood things like directory structure, file types, setting up stuff in config.sys and autoexec.bat etc. Same for hardware. Upgrading CPU and RAM or switching HDDs yourself was pretty common among normies.

When GUI took over and operating systems became increasingly user friendly, tech literacy began to decrease. Well, and then smartphones and tablets came and destroyed all hope. Fuck.

BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION IS NOT A FUCKING MEME! Fuck I can't believe this is even a debate that this newest batch if shits is the worst generation in history.

>implying I dont use lineage

Eat your TIDE pods, Timmy.

Gen X is the only right generation now. Literally every Gen Zer is a SJW/incel that doesn't even own a desktop

this
my dad is 45 and built me my first computer when I was 10
based tech dads are truly a godsend

literally the second fucking paragraph you inbred

Fuckign say it loud and proud, bitch!

TEL-AZIV GENERATION
SJW AND DIVERSITY LOVER ONLY !!!!!!!!

by "run properly" I mean not just turning the fucking thing on and checking email. It does take quite a bit of time to fully understand how to administrate your own computer, even if it's easy as piss for you and I. Not falling for tech support scams is hard enough for some people.

>uuuh buuh uuh stupid kids can't change doorknobs
it's literally two screws, any kid who has seen a screwdriver will look at that and think "i can take that apart."

fucking doorknobs, jesus, try repairing a watch or a laptop you fucking barbarian.

>It does take quite a bit of time to fully understand how to administrate your own computer, even if it's easy as piss for you and I. Not falling for tech support scams is hard enough for some people.
True but I still wouldn't call it "years of honed technical skill" when trial and error and reading wiki pages will get you 90% of the way there as long as you're not a two digit IQ mongoloid.

>t. Gen X

TIDE PODZ!!!! ME LOVES TO EAT THEM !!!!!!!!
Says Gen Zers and Alphaers all over a place...

At least hes part of the actually smart generation and not groeing up in iphone shits and praising SJW people like a maniacs...

They pick up on recent tech without blinking. You get mad at Apple because they put a button in a different place than Microsoft does.

My younger cousin just sits with table or on desktop and watches footage or simulations of subway just riding for hours. He's completely brainwashed.

quite funny rant blogpost from 5 years ago on this topic
coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

Z is short for Zombie. They are the wrong fucking generation to be born on and all channers agree with me on that.

I was actually thinking of that blogpost when I was making the OP

I'm 19, only a handful of my friends are able to work a desktop PC beyond launching steam. Its fucking sad

Madness is all I can feel when this thread is on...

Born in the wrong generation, together..
It's not a fucking meme, like reddit would rell you. It's fucking fact.

I volunteer with students middles school and up. I confirm that many of then lack even basic computer literacy and typing skills. But it can also be hit and miss, one can tell which students have a Pc at home instead of a YouTube-tablet.

Attached: 1525828877767.png (500x818, 162K)

We're counting on you, faggot. I don't wanna be old and die in a world full of useless shit stains.

Gen X = Jow Forums
Milennials, Gen Y, and Gen Z = Reddit, 9gag, Twitter
You know its true...

ITT: Salty old men

Protip, only manufacturers should know how materials work. If you have a problem with that, write your own. Isn't that the Linux way?

Attached: 1524954781209.png (667x870, 156K)

2/10 made me reply

When you buy something from a restaurant, do they force you to make it,and know how to? No?
Then why any different for tech?

>there is someone over 35 browsing animu board
sad

Uh no, failure, Jow Forums was made in 2005 and designed around the teenage audience of that time. Shut the fuck up and go snort WD-40.

Don't they still have those fucking MS office classes in middle and high school?

This is the tech board, son. We typically ignore the weeb degenerates.

Yes they do, I graduated last year and Microsoft had an extensive certification class for Word, Excel, etc. It replaced the Electronics Shop Class, Ironically.

Yeah. I graduated in 2015 and I took a class called "computer applications" my freshman year that was just MS Office. I like computers, so I signed up for it. It was shitty, buy I did fine. Not much later, I developed a hatred for non-free software.

Yes, Microshit bakes big bucks on schools.
>Jow Forums was made in 2005

Best generation tech wise was born more or less 1982-1992

Late enough to get out of the shitty starting age, early enough to see some of the technical age before things become very babby easy