Is this really better than firefox, or are you fags just meming me?

is this really better than firefox, or are you fags just meming me?

Attached: Qutebrowser.svg.png (1200x1200, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/userscripts.asciidoc
qutebrowser.org/doc/install.html#_debian_testing_ubuntu_18_04
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on your preferences.

if you like emacs or vim, yeah. i haven't looked into it myself but does anyone know if it has support for extensions? i would be all over it if it had something like ublock/umatrix.

Attached: 0w5-DlsyTu4yUB0lSFay1oASHHUSCW5vP44Rv3PYmyo.jpg (296x337, 8K)

It's a meme.

The truth is that it uses Chromium to do the heavy lifting. So, if you trust Chromium then you are good to go. But if you don't then search for other browser.

For me, I use because I can use Vim key bindings when I am on work mode, i.e. using a tiled window manager and moving hands away from keyboard is a hassle.

It's a decent browser with a nifty form of navigation, but overall it's a far less secure browser with plenty of rendering issues.

It's kind of a meme, although the navigation is top tier comfy.

But it doesn't use WebKit

Just using a vim plugin in icecat/waterfox is both more more secure and less meme tier.

Then, what does it use? Presto?

Qt WebEngine

>Relationship to Chromium

>Qt WebEngine uses code from the Chromium project. However, it is not containing all of Chrome/Chromium:

>Binary files are stripped outAuxiliary services that talk to Google platforms are stripped outThe codebase is modularized to allow use of system libraries like OpenSSL
wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine

no extension support

It lacks a configurable/modern ad blocker and even when using webengine, some websites (youtube, ebay sometimes) dont work right.(also doesnt block ads on youtube)

I love how easy it is alias search engines eg (ebay thinkpad 220) opens a page or new tab with ebay search for thinkpad 220

How can I write an extension/plug-in for it? I can't find an API.

>configurable/modern ad blocker
Of you mean one that hides DOM elements then just write some JavaScript for it like all the extensions do, it doesn't need to be in the browser.

github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/userscripts.asciidoc

Use particlecore/iridium for youtube.

Pros:
>fantastic UI and UX if you're into that kind of stuff
>made by /ourguy/, pretty much - literally the only complaint I have is that he's using Python
>in active development
>supports greasemonkey scripts
>supports per-domain settings allowing functionality somewhat similar to uMatrix
>tons of settings, going more the Firefox about:config route than the Chrome "lol here's one page of rocker switches, that's your settings" one
>no issues rendering anything, unlike pale meme and some other obscure browsers
Cons:
>adblocker is shit, though it may be possible to configure settings to block stuff manually
>no tree style tabs, only vertical
>current lack of addons means advanced anti-fingerprinting measures, like canvas blocking, not possible
>QtWebEngine is based on your Qt installation, which must be kept up to date, and in turn is based on Chromium, meaning they must pull in security fixes: theoretically very secure, in practice a lot of steps that can potentially delay fixes

DNS sinkhole + qutebrowser is patrician tier

Are the default host files shit or something? I get ads on many sites (youtube, wikia, etc.). Yes, they're shit sites, but that's besides the point. I don't get those ads using ublock, even with cosmetic filtering turned off. What gives?

>canvas blocking not possible
I looked at some web api filter extension for Firefox and it was mostly just overwriting js APIs before the page got tobusebthem. So it is entirely possible to do that, and remove canvas elements, from a greasemonkey script.

>not watching youtube through mpv exclusively

Huh, nice. Somebody (maybe is after finals) should get a suite of privacy userscripts in, to be honest.

That and frege style tabs are the only things stopping qutebrowser from being near-perfect for me.

Nice summary!

I'm using Debian Testing and I can't install it. apt install qutebrowser just says that it can't find the package. Am I just a brainlet?

Attached: 1501989008866.gif (500x281, 1.96M)

it's debian. this browser is less than a decade old, so they don't have it.

>some websites (youtube, ebay sometimes) dont work right
stop spreading misinformation faggot
everything works as well as it works on chrome

when did you last try qutebrowser?
last year?

qutebrowser.org/doc/install.html#_debian_testing_ubuntu_18_04

I've been having problems with it crashing when I leave it alone for too long.

If you have a keyboard drivin enviornment it's much better.
By default it's Engine, but on debian, I have the choice to use Webkit
I'm on Stable I was able to intall it by downloading each package from the repo manually and install it.

Heres your you