Discord userbase & privacy

Not gonna lie, these numbers are pretty spooky.

twitter.com/gamasutra/status/996459699544342528

Why do so many people not care/think about their privacy? Even people I respected before excuse themselves by saying
>needing secure communications to meme/joke with their friends
And that pisses me off

Attached: Capture.jpg (644x340, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sXroNWu3Rek
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because said 130 million only care about discord as a Skype alternative (which I believe is a switch to a worse bot net) , and live in their land where everything runs on magic and "nothing to hide nothing to fear"

I have a hard time understanding why people are so fucking attracted to botnets. It's like moths to a lamp

It has cool animations and funny loading screen memes bro!!! xD

Imagine being this autistic.

are you stupid? Most people don't even know what a botnet is, let alone how rife it is within popular software.

Are they going to sell to google when they hit 500mil users?

When given the option between two products with basically feature parity, why would you pick the insecure botnet that violates your privacy and sells your data?

>inb4 because that's where the people are

Viral marketing.

OH BUT IT'S SO COOL IT PRIES INTO YOUR PROGRAMS SO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND EVERY CORPORATION IN CHINA KNOWS WHAT VIDEO GAMES, MUSIC, AND WEBSITES YOU LIKE ISN'T TECHNOLOGY JUST AMAAAAAAZING?!?!?!1111

discord genocide happiest day of my life

>they have to comply by GDPR standards
You only have to be afraid now about your privacy if you're not an EU citizen.

>130M
Half of those are literally me.

>inb4 increase in migrants to EU because GDPR protections
Hoboy you guys aren't gonna like that a lot I imagine

because the insecure botnet hides its data mining behind convenient features that just happen to allow the company that owns the program to claim the legal rights to anything you transmit through the service.

Suggest a non-botnet alternative that actually works just as good as Discord.

Mumble.

>but muh inline youtube vid-
self-terminate promptly

How deluded do you have to be to think that Mumble comes even remotely close to Discord?

I use it in a sandboxed container, what's gonna happen to me?

Why not just use a European VPN? You'll get the same treatment online.

There's no other alternative. I wish I didn't have to use discord but I do.

>Mumble

Attached: hahahahaha.jpg (800x865, 254K)

I don't care whether they sell my data or masturbate to it. Why should I?

They've updated their privacy policy today to be much clearer and compliant with the EU shit.

Just curious, since Discord is closed source - what stops them from just lying about the data they collect?

There's no way to be sure unless the code is audited

Riot. Wire.

Nothing is stopping them. But there's really no alternative in the year 2018, so you just have to trust them.
>still shilling Riot when it's been shit on countless times already
Bloated, cluttered, rooms for direct messaging, spyware bots, retarded method for adding people. It doesn't work nearly as well as Discord.

What we need is a "fork" of Discord. I think Slack is open source, but it might not be. That's what Discord is based off. Make it as usable as Discord, and don't let your personal autism bleed into it. Encryption should be done behind the scenes. Don't require users to share keys like PGP unless you set up some automatic sharing between contacts, but don't make it so they have to do it themselves. Avatars, while autistic, are a necessity. Bots shouldn't exist for any reason, because they're easily abused. Make Direct Messaging an actual fucking thing.

Until an open source privacy centered client that looks/feels like Discord comes out, no one is going to fucking move. An idea could be to somehow hitch into Discord with another client, but there's no chance of that actually working.

>fills out 20th google captcha of the day to post against the evils of the botnet

>he doesn't have a pass
>he hasn't figured out how to block the captcha

It's because you opting to call them "retarded normies" using "botnets", in favor of actually explaining why what they are doing is dangerous in the long term and what alternatives they can use, will lead to absolutely no one taking you seriously.

Plain Email + gpg

>actually explaining why what they are doing is dangerous in the long term
I don't know about you but I've tried this. They laugh and call me a tinfoil-hat paranoid for thinking that Google, Facebook, the government, etc could ever be anything but prudent and benevolent.

>Just curious, since Discord is closed source - what stops them from just lying about the data they collect?
>There's no way to be sure unless the code is audited
You can run it in your browser and block obvious trackers, such as Google Analytics. uBO should do that by default.
You can't do anything about your messages, since it isn't end-to-end encrypted. No way to control what they do with it in their servers. For all we know, all you say could be processed and sold to FB.

Attached: Dark Saber.png (1440x2560, 2.86M)

It works, quality is perfect and has all the functionality needed.
Instead of complaining why don't you program a better open source alternative with good interface and ease to use?
Guess what, no one in open sores can do that. That's why the majority of good software is closed.

Fuck off with being contrarian just for the sake of it.

The only way to kill shitty software is to make and offer better software. Why aren't there any groups working on a decentralized discord alternative?

Because they're autistically clinging to shittier alternatives like Matrix, IRC, Telegram, and Conversations.

>They laugh and call me a tinfoil-hat paranoid for thinking that Google, Facebook, the government, etc could ever be anything but prudent and benevolent.
It's for this reason that I actually support normies using botnet services. I want their haughty ignorance to blow the fuck up in their faces.

And, eventually, it will.

Attached: received_10211237610521171.jpg (480x236, 10K)

Probably not in our lifetimes. The botnet is intelligent. All information collected over the years will be utilized in such a way that no one will ever realize.

none of those is meant to be an alternative to discord. Matrix is not a program, it's a protocol

I've literally never seen someone suggesting telegram calls for gaming. Who are you talking about?

Attached: Flowers of Fate.jpg (800x403, 346K)

I know it's insecure so I don't post sensitive data on it. I run it from my virtual instance of linux that I run all of my sketchy programs in. Wow, that was hard.

IRC

Discord is a plague on this earth, but unfortunately they are simply fulfilling a demand. This timeline sucks.

Attached: 1515114054166.jpg (613x522, 91K)

Incredible voice chat, totally shit text chat.

The assortment of autists who typically respond to the question of alternative communication platforms.
>Matrix is not a program, it's a protocol
Yes, and it's trash. I meant that to encompass everything from Riot to Weechat.

>nothing to hide nothing to fear
This. I've told people about Discord's data collecting practices, and the universal response is something along the lines of "who cares, I have nothing to hide".

Discord already has massive backing from VCs and Tencent. There's no reason for them to sell to Google. This is not "muh indie startup" but heavily corporate backed from the start.

People cared about Facebook after the Cambridge Analytica scandal, but much like Snowden and PRISM, people stopped caring after a few days.

Attached: 1512317415828.jpg (184x184, 19K)

So they give all the data to the chinese government?

The ideal Jow Forums messaging service is the one nobody uses so your security is guaranteed

>Discord already has massive backing from VCs and Tencent
That explains it all.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-15_14-02-27.png (795x814, 150K)

>This is not "muh indie startup" but heavily corporate backed from the start.
well really the presence of so much VC money means that there are no "pure" startups anymore - if there ever were. They all have the goal of attracting the big money from either VCs or buyouts from existing big companies or both. You get more money that way compared to an IPO, and you don't have to bother with being profitable or all the SEC red tape about not defrauding investors and shit.

all my friends use discord to communicate so I use discord to communicate

: P

debunk the "nothing to hide nothing to fear" argument right now

i have like 4 or 5 accounts im pretty sure and I've used each acc once, haven't used discord in 5 years, but it asks you to make an account every time you get invited to a conversation

>Discord logs leak and companies use it to screen future employees
>So i see in your chat logs you've regularly used racist words like nigger every week for the past 3 years, whats up with that
>It says here you unironically think traps are not gay

Attached: 1522196436329.gif (222x162, 1006K)

There is no alternative.

imagine being such a loser that you have nothing to hide kek

As an active white supremacist in the UK, I found about discords data collecting waaayyy too late. I'm honestly so fucked.

>oy m8 where's your whoite loicense?

This, there is no real skype or discord alternative

>no real skype alternative

Why the hell do people keep repeating this meme?

Wire is a thing. It makes Skype and Whatsapp obsolete

there are fucking TONS the problem is you social autists can't get anybody to use them and get beat out by money spent on ad campaigns

sick counter bro

>Debunk "nothing to hide nothing to fear"
Okay, here you go
youtube.com/watch?v=sXroNWu3Rek

People are attracted to polish and convenience something that alot of open-source programs have a hard time getting to. It also does not help that a service like Discord no doubt had lots of money for marketing and getting the right people on-board.

Wire is ok but even being open-source you can't change anything about it

Discord is a Reddit version of voice chats.

Good i rather have chinese domination rather than a kike one.

Whenever a group offers a Discord server to organize, I always mark it as a red flag.

There are a fuck ton that suck yea, ever tried people get to use xmpp?
Or jitsi ?

>implying tencent isn't just a kike front in Chinkland
LMAO @ U

Attached: 1508124263307.gif (202x360, 1.84M)

>I don't know about you but I've tried this. They laugh and call me a tinfoil-hat paranoid for thinking that Google, Facebook, the government, etc could ever be anything but prudent and benevolent.
You probably deserved it. I haven't met a single person who could actually explain the issues without resorting to conspiratorial thinking and pleading.

usually I do it like this and it tends to work better

While you're at it, get them to use MSN messenger, you fucking retard.

Telegram, Wire, Riot.im?

You discord fags would love Riot.im

If this is the guy that said to email him your accounts and passwords, and that no one has ever taken him up on it, that's long since been untrue. I remember sending all of mine, and he never even logged in or responded. He twists the reality.

MSN died years ago gee i wonder why.

See, this is why you'll never really get through to normies. There's a fundamental misunderstanding of what each side means by nothing to hide. Most normies treat the internet as an extension of their public lives, and when they say they have nothing to hide they mean it in the same way they do when they shrug about walking into a store and knowing cameras saw them enter, or when they cross the street and know there are satellites watching high above. That doesn't mean they don't have an expectation of privacy at all, though. They trust that they have some privacy when they go to their bank vault or meet with their lawyer. But they understand the fundamental difference between expecting that with a private agent with legal protections and going to a street-side cafe and shouting for anyone who says they're a lawyer to come look at their taxes.

Privacy spergs - and they are spergs to great detriment to their worthy cause - don't and will never understand that, because to them the internet is fundamentally different from the public street or shopping mall, and are doing the equivalent of flipping their shit over being asked to meet at a Starbucks rather than a private bunker, then trying to explain themselves that if the other person has nothing to hide from the cameras and eavesdroppers and corporate metrics counting their minutes and purchases, they should also feel fine having sex there as well.

I refuse to believe you're being anything other than purposefully retarded at this point

Attached: 2e6.png (600x600, 201K)

I don't get why they're okay with having every aspect of their public lives recorded, saved forever, analyzed, and sold on though. They seem to still be living in a world from ten or twenty years ago, where you walked into a store and the cameras saw you and maybe there was a dozy security guard watching, but he was generally the only one who'd see anything, and in any case the recordings got taped over in a week unless there was a robbery or some other reason to take interest in them. It's a different world now, every second of that footage can be saved forever and run through facial-recognition software. The store will remember the exact date you were there last, even if it was four years ago.

The normies have a modest but nonzero expectation of privacy in public places, and they don't seem to realize that there's no longer a "privacy floor", a base level of privacy that you get just because, in times past, someone had to go to some effort to keep track of you. That's been automated now, and the dozy security guard that they don't feel threatened by has been replaced with a computer that never blinks and never forgets.

>a new consumer protection law in Europe means that all European citizens now have absolute privacy

lol

Attached: no.png (480x360, 180K)

Because that's also another fundamental misunderstanding of normies that seems to be stuck in the 1980s and early 90s. In the decades since the dozy security guard rewinding and recording over VHS tapes, the public has known about and accepted advertising surveys, targeted sales campaigns, focus groups, and digital records. They've known for a long time that their economic activity is being monitored for coarse-grained marketing research which absorbs them into a statistical category to engineer more marketable products.

It's almost as if most privacy advocates never actually socialized all that much in their lives, and are going off on theories they formed from nostalgic childhoods and are just as out of touch as old media CEOs and academics.

And they do have an idea of a privacy floor, but of course it resembles their real life one where it doesn't extend much beyond their private property. They know exactly what they're getting into and act accordingly. The only ones who don't are the same sort of people who embarrass themselves in public talking too loudly on their phones or showing no subtlety about walking around with bags full of sex toys they just bought.

Because they are "free" and good looking

Well that's what I'm saying, they used to have a privacy floor everywhere they went in public, and found that an adequate level of privacy. They don't seem to realize that they no longer have it. They don't seem to realize that coarse-grained and generally non-personally-identifiable ad campaigns and market research have been replaced by lots of companies having a very detailed record of what you - you specifically, identified by name, address, and phone number - have bought, searched for, looked at, and when. They're now subject to a level of monitoring that they would probably think unfathomable. They think that just being a face in the crowd is privacy enough, because who would care to pick them out of it? They don't realize that that's done automatically now, and that it's no longer difficult, but trivially routine, to keep a complete record of everything they ever do, to be referred back to instantly at any time for any reason.

I don't think they know what they're getting into at all, is my point. They think they're getting into the old bargain where truly detailed monitoring was impossible, because the monitoring was done by people, most of whom didn't know or care about them. They don't realize that the game's changed.

I'm using discord because it's pretty convenient and clearly better and easier to use than it's alternatives Mumble and TS3 and I have been hosting voice services for years before we switched to discord.

In all honesty I never understood why there is no rock solid open source voice and chat solution out there. Are all the good codecs super secret rocket science or is there something else in the way? I don't really understand.

If they don't adhere and that information ever comes out, then they get fined beyond bankruptcy.

there's telegram or mumble

>open discord in a private window
>user++ :^)
>repeat a million times

woah

Isn't this the same damn argument that people have spewed about the US Census?

>meh privacy
>teh gov is selling my information

shits been going on, if you can't handle globalization then go back to your tinfoil shacks and kys

Their new GDPR compliment TOS is going to go live on may 25th I believe.
I'd be interesting to see to what extent they've collected from people.

Attached: 1526337585293.gif (320x180, 2.15M)

(You)

>Bloated, cluttered, rooms for direct messaging, spyware bots, retarded method for adding people
You just described discord, how is this different? Riot is just better because it's fully libre and you can host your own server, unlike discord.

>client that looks/feels like Discord
Jesus fuck no. Discord looks like utter shit and the light theme doesn't help because it's inconsistent.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

Teamspeak

Twice as better since nigger mods actually have to pay or host servers and have something to lose and invest in.

>What we need is a "fork" of Discord
>Encryption should be done behind the scenes
Why not just continue using discord or "better"Discord, but run it in a sandbox (without direct access to the mic or other hardware), then just feed it an encrypted audio stream? As in
User > Audio input > FOSS Audio encryption program > encrypted audio output > Discord > discord server > other users > FOSS audio decryption program > audio output
Would that even work? Of course you'd have to re-route discord's output into the decryption program, which would be done through the sandbox.
The same could be done with the text messages. I mean, the entire thing is made in electron so you basically have access to all the client's relevant code. It also means you can make an alternative client, making this all easier.

Question about GDPR. I am a European living in the States. I have EU citizenship. Where the fuck do I go to find out if companies here are keeping track of me or not? Does it even matter?

It seems that for GDPR to work companies must already have a shitload of information about me. The only requirement is for them to occasionally delete it.

The only people I talk to use Discord and don't wanna switch to anything else. What do?

Attached: unknown.png (535x745, 95K)

Riot creates legitimate rooms, same as a multi user session would create. Discord has an actual direct messaging section that remains between two users and then becomes a "group chat" once you open it up. I never said bots or a retarded adding system wasn't present in Discord, I just said that a new alternative shouldn't feature those.
>Jesus fuck no. Discord looks like utter shit and the light theme doesn't help because it's inconsistent.
You have to realize that Discord's design is what people want. Don't let your own personal autism get in the way of a potentially popular application.
Thing is that if it were really that easy, someone would have streamlined the process by now.

Codecs aren't the problem with open source. Mumble is alright for voice chat, but the text chat experience is shit compared to Discord.

Basically you should assume that American companies are storing literally everything they find out about you, and probably aggregating, sharing, and selling that information. They figure the chance of getting sued by someone in your position is small, and that they'll probably be able to convince a court that they didn't know you were an EU citizen anyway. Of course American companies without an EU operation won't give a shit regardless.

>Discord's design is what people want
Riot.im looks almost exactly like discord, ignoring the fact that the default is a white theme.

And discord looks just like TheLounge but with icons

this

>Use mass communication system that has the potential to log your information at every step of the way
>Use phones which allow you to be triangulated even if you aren't using it
>Phones that are also backdoored and allow the Government to view your location, data, listen to your phone calls, listen to your mic, use your camera, etc .
>Use CPUs which are backdoored
>Doesn't care about the SoCs in things like their SSDs, even though they could easily log what you do
>Uses any non-free software at all, ever, even websites (You're on Jow Forums)
Jow Forums is so fucking moronic. You live in the information age. Part of living in the information is your data is everywhere.
By trying to hide all your information, you're only drawing more attention to yourself as well. What's more suspicious, someone walking down the street in a crowd, or someone trying to hide in the alley who keeps peeking around corners?
Morons all over this board. I wouldn't be surprised if you idiots thought you were digital revolutionaries or something too.

Attached: 1457595683218.png (500x500, 132K)

signal is catching on