So Discord is a fucking botnet, point taken. What alternatives are there...

So Discord is a fucking botnet, point taken. What alternatives are there? IRC seems to be a privacy nightmare and stuff like Skype / Mumble doesn't work either. Any tips?

Attached: serveimage.png (511x512, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#Instant_Messaging_.28IM.29_clients
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>IRC is a privacy nightmare

are you 10?

Attached: sad.jpg (1070x864, 63K)

Matrix and riot.im seem promising. You can easily host your own matrix server.

Do we really need 3 discord threads? Check the fucking catalog before posting, user.

steam messenger

Searching the internet seems to suggest that IRC is rather insecure, am I wrong?
Will look into it
Sorry about that
No

you are wrong, IRC is no less secure it's just honest.

I'm going to need to hear a good reason why you can't use IRC + mumble

>IRC is insecure
not true unless you literally set up an IRC server by slapping your nuts on an install wizard until the server starts.

Read the fucking wiki

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#Instant_Messaging_.28IM.29_clients

this really triggers me desu

Attached: 1526415091479.png (511x512, 4K)

I am well aware that Discord & is literally aids. I am looking for an alternative that is better, not just about the same.
Maybe I am just misinformed, I'll take a second look into IRC and it's capabilities.
Thanks for the link. The linux article has some interesting programs. Will take a look at them.
Sorry mang, just took the first image I found fitting. Hope I didn't trigger your autism too much.

Attached: .png (600x660, 263K)

yes you are wrong.

IRC today is basically always used over SSL. You can easily end-to-end encrypt private chats using OTR.

Problem is, from what I understand, hosting your own anything and providing access to people is risky security wise

And lets say its only for small intimate chats with good friends

You still have to port forward the server or put it in dmz and risk it that way

IRC over TLS is as "secure" as an HTTPS website, for most of the usual meanings of "secure". The network operator gets your IP address so you still have to trust them, but again no difference from HTTP.

The >IRC is insecure meme is mostly because older, unpopular IRC networks will reveal your IP address in your hostmask to anybody who bothers to look. However, the biggest irc networks (freenode, rizon) will mask your IP address, so this is no longer a practical concern.

Cool, never felt better being wrong.

who gives a fuck about the botnet except complete losers?

Rude.

t. Cia nigger

Hosting your own stuff does require more care, but then you can be assured that the hoster has your best interests at heart, instead of datamining you for advertisements. For some things it's worth it, depending on your threat model.

For matrix/riot.im though you don't need to self-host (and it's still kind of tricky to right now, relative to other things you can self-host). You can sign up for an account on riot.im and it'll work the pretty much same as discord, a web-based chat client run by a third-party that you'll have to trust. Difference being discord is venture capital funded and somehow is expected to make money without datamining you (????), whereas riot.im servers are mostly patreon-funded, and developed by a bunch of dorks that care about privacy and decentralization.

>freenode
>will mask your IP address
Since when? I thought that it was exposed by default.
>just use tor brah
Nah.

>mumble doesn't work
Wat? Riot.im is a perfect replacement for discord.

just stop talking to people over the internet.