I successfully installed arch yesterday

I successfully installed arch yesterday.
The wiki is helpful but there were some answers that weren't really explained well. For example
Networking isn't enabled after install.
Ok I'll just read the wiki and see how to get it to start
2 hours later of pointless commands that didn't do anything I finally watch a youtube video.
Hour and a half goes by and I find
dhcpcd device
Awesome. Don't know why that command cant just be at the top. But ok
Restart
Ping google
Nothing
Notice it doesn't persist
What the fuck.jpg
Spend another 2 hours looking for answers and just seeing go to the wiki
Nothing in the wiki says anything reeeeeeeeeeeee
Watch more youtube
Finally find a command
sudo systemctl enable dhcpcd.services
Look back at the wiki
Literally nowhere to be found
Great wiki guys

Attached: 1517388639122.png (645x773, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd
osdn.net/dl/manjaro-community/manjaro-i3-17.1.9-stable-x86_64.iso.torrent
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_recommendations#Service_management
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Network_management
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dhcpcd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>it never breaks
because it has to work, in order to break

>Literally nowhere to be found
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd

It says on the beginners guide to learn how to use this.

Now you know why Arch is considered a distro for the most intelligent of people

osdn.net/dl/manjaro-community/manjaro-i3-17.1.9-stable-x86_64.iso.torrent

there you go lad

Oh look
I have to blindly know what systemctl is before searching for it instead of it just being on the network page for that particular command. They could have even included a link to the page you provided with a note saying see for more info
Makes sense

Looks like Arch isn't for you. Maybe you should consider Ubuntu?

Kek thats what you get when using poor mans scriptwere, I prefer using my mac, never had any issues and I have a gf

It does though
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_recommendations#Service_management

Here is how it could go:

Networking
>table of contents
Networking is not enabled by default with arch
If you are having trouble try using the dhcpcd device command followed by sudo systemctl enable dhcpcd.services to keep persistent
See this article for more info

But no it goes full autism

So why don't you edit the wiki and stop acting like a bitch?

>doesn't know every line of code of his OS before installing it.

Maybe I will
I don't expect handholding but for a wiki that is supposed to be the end all wiki its a little convoluted

if you don't even know how what systemctl does then you really shouldn't be installing arch just yet. What on earth made you think that it was a good choice of distro for you?

I like trying and learning new things
Figured an os with an extensive wiki that you built from scratch would force me to learn the shit
Which in the madness I did learn more how these os work

Well I can't fault that. You might be better off with something like Manjaro though if you find that you've bitten off more than you can chew.

Most of the arch wiki has been designed to avoid writing redundant info. So if any page mentions needing to mess with networking any, then expect to go to the networking page. If you need to mess with services, you're going to need to look at systemctl stuff. It makes maintaining the wiki easier and cleaner.

I still start my dhcp service manually, after 6 years. But that's not a problem since I restart the PC every few months or so.

I get that I really do
But on the beginners guide I feel like it should at least give a hint. All and all I figured it out. Just ranting really

I'd have hoped that after 6 years you'd have figured out how to enable a service. If you're so disinterested in learning and customizing the OS, wouldn't you have been better with something generic that "just werkz"?

>not kowing what dhcpd.services are for
>tries to install arch
wow

If you use a DE, you needn't bother with any of that.

Gentoo doesn't have these problems.

Intelligent people likely have more interesting stuff to do than wasting their time with a distro that is designed to be obscure to use.

Fuck me for trying to learn right

Yeah what the fuck is up with the Arch wiki? I remember a couple years ago it was the best thing ever, I even went there to get help for other distros because it explained things thoroughly when other distros wouldn't even bother to document most things.

Now? They removed so much!

>6 years
Do you have a reason for not wanting to enable the service automatically, or do you just not know how after all this time lmao

I couldn't not know how to since getting wireless to work was an adventure in itself which taught me everything I ever needed to know about services.

I had a similar problem when first installing Arch.

But unlike you I could find everything I needed in the wiki.
...still...turned out a mouse had chewed through my Ethernet cable (it passes through a wall) and everything was fine from the start.

gentoo handbook > arch wiki

>obscure to use.

Everything is documented.

Maybe it's a bit hard to use, but certainly not obscure.
By comparison Windows is obscure as fuck - anything goes wrong and good luck finding a solution that isn't just re-installing everything.

instead of dicking around with complex stuff you could have used wifi-menu just like you used for the install
then you could install your DE and some retard proof network manager like wicd
it really depends on you how difficult using arch becomes. you could get yourself through broken glass if you want, or you can just use simple shit

Good lad. I'm sure you have your reasons, even if they're weird. Linux people are weird in general. In a good way

I was more or less trying to learn the interworkings of an os. Figured arch was the best to go about it. I know how to use a gui if that makes sense

Last time I installed Arch it literally said in the install guide to enable dhcp on my preferred interface so systemctl enable [email protected]

I belive you user and maybe I overlooked it but I just didn't see it. Do you have a link so I can see what I missed

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration
Just scrolled through the entire article again. Do not see a trace of what you said

Maybe it's time for a new revision to this image since they cut even more networking information out.

I looked and don't think it is obvious, but it does link from:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
to
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Network_management
to
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dhcpcd

Arch does help you though because once you start getting a feel where to look in your system for the problem

Attached: 1521167663764.png (3300x6993, 1.54M)

>Everything is documented.
But why reinvent shit when the alternatives literally just werk?

Ah I see now
Thanks for that
I think you are right I just need to get a feel for what I am looking for. Ty for that

linux is free if your time is worthless :^)

I just looked at that image
Wtf did they do to the beginners guide
It says plain text what to do in the picture you posted
Would have been nice

It's hilarious how shitty the arch install guide is compared to the gentoo one

well it's what people tend to say "get good", because failing is how you progress and learn about life since nothing come from nowhere.
also just stop posting stupid thread, we're not your personnal support, your shill consumer department, neither your noob to linux guide.
If you have any other questions just ask /sqt/, thank you very much go fuck yourself

Attached: hii_i.png (600x684, 185K)

And what exactly was my question or tech support user?
I said I figured it out
Unless the question you are referring to is where is it listed
If you get butthurt about that then I dunno what to tell ya

Just install Fedora and bask in glorious adequacy.

My "last time" was quite a while back. Some user posted the old version and it's there. I have no idea why they would take it out.

I will check it out later but is it really that hard to find now ?

>a distro that is designed to be obscure to use.
It works the same way as whatever distro you use, you dingus.

You should have use my help file

Attached: ArchHelpFile.png (924x3386, 281K)

Wow didn't notice that, doesn't mention network managers until the bottom of the network management section.

But yeah, you want to use something to maintain that connection and be a lot easier, don't want to write and configure a service and mess with managing those services manually.
So arch by default comes with netctl, it's pretty easy to use, and has a step-by-step config generator called wifi-menu

man netctl

Sorry OP

sall gravy. thanks for the tip.
you guys have been helpful with my rant