tfw fell for the Udemy meme

> tfw fell for the Udemy meme
> trying to learn C++
> don't really feel like I understand the lessons, it feels more like I'm just copying what the guy does
>every time they have a "pause the video and try it out yourself" segment I'm never even close
>28 lessons in

am I a brainlet or are these just not that helpful or both?

Attached: x9lmuabarbbk6slwbwnm.png (256x256, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
en.cppreference.com/w/
channel9.msdn.com/Series/C9-Lectures-Stephan-T-Lavavej-Core-C-
nostarch.com/pythoncrashcourse
classroom.udacity.com/courses/ud210
reddit.com/r/lolphp/top/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you will never learn anything using these meme websites whose only purpose is to make money off the lazy low IQ asses, just read a fucking book like "C++ Primer" and do any serious project yourself even if you don't know how to start, just fucking do it

You should probably find some good books for it instead. Also if you're learning C++ as your first language I recommend you don't. I did Python before learning C++ and it made understanding C++ much easier. But that's just me.

Is "Programming Principles and Practice Using C++ (2nd Edition)" as good as Primer? They both show the basics so I'd assume so.

learncpp.com

OP here, are there any specific recommendations for books? Is the one that mentioned good?

stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

... ok... you guys can call me retarded, but I have dabbled in c++ in and out for 4 yrs... I just realized that the reason that the filenames are cpp is because it stands for c plus plus.

Attached: pat.jpg (500x366, 40K)

I only read C++ Primer and it was good as I had zero knowledge of OOP but it can be too slow if you're experienced developer. But if you already
understand the concepts of OOP (if you did some serious C or Python too that would be amazing), you can only use en.cppreference.com/w/ and it's so fucking good and concise

and it was from this comment.

This. Lectures are a meme for morons. They are a relic from the days when books were hard to come by and rhetoric skills were practiced in class. In actual observable reality, the students who learn are those who read the material and do the exercises. Full stop. In 9 years of teaching post-secondary math I have never seen a single student who could grok strait from the lecture without the book. Conversely, I have seen dozens of student pay no mind to lecture and ace the class because they took the books seriously.

>inb4 why would a professor be against lecturing, isn't this your job?
No. My job is research first and teaching second. Secondly, I think the only useful form of pedagogy is small group tutor after one has been working from the book. In an ideal world I think this could be handled by graduate students. I should be doing more research.

Best PHP resource?

In my University, we used this book called "Starting Out with C++: Early Objects" in our intro to programming class. I really liked how it was structured and was a great intro to C++. I don't know how it compares to the other books but I learned a lot just by reading through each chapter. It's pretty easy to find a PDF of the latest version.

Also, this: channel9.msdn.com/Series/C9-Lectures-Stephan-T-Lavavej-Core-C-

Good resource
Also learncpp.com if you're a beginner.

Some people just don't have the minds for programming.

>Udemy
Why? their material is just ripped from youtube channels, just find a youtube guide on the basics

>tfw two smart four programming

Attached: 1519624002674.gif (336x468, 199K)

Anyone know where I can get a pdf of C++ Primer?

libgen.io

So you don't understand lectures aimed at retards and neither have some basic google skills.
Kill yourself you incompetent retard.

>Go to Udemy
>Find 200Euros course
>Find out that same course is on skillshare and I have free 2 months
>Course is actual shit, youtube has better courses on that shit

How can Udemy even justify that?

I learn loads on udemy I think you guys are idiots

you think udemy just prints money for u or download like in matrix - fiuck off

it's an intro. once u know basics make something yourself.
idiots

>full size is 2.7 kb
>thumbnail is 4.7 kb

so.. this.. is the power... of Jow Forums

This but I never paid for anything
I just pirated every course available lmaoing @ your lives faggots.

Have you tried thinking for yourself OP

Attached: file.png (151x42, 1K)

Bullshit trying to learn math through a book is impossible

Original is png.
Thumbnail is jpeg.

You have to mix udemy with your own projects, most of these people on udemy are programmers that know what to do but not how to teach.

You won't learn much by copy pasting, but what you will build is familiarity and after being introduced to a bunch of new things you can then try to apply them in your projects without your hand being held, that's when you'll run into problems and be forced to go through the docs and try a bunch of different options.

You'll pick up things from the udemy course through simply repeating it 30 times, a tip is when you get stuck you have to Google what it is you're stuck on understanding, then write comments and notes outside the code to explain it to your future self in a month when your forget about it.

Take an entire day and just go through what you're learning and write out the flow of it all in notes, comment everything with very plain English not just saying what the code is doing but explaining what each part is and where it came from and where it's going.

And then just repeat and don't give up.

You are really shitty at your job if you don't know some people are better at books and others are better learning visually through lectures. Everybody learns differently

>customers are normies who don't know any better
>economy is ass so they're willing to try anything
>most don't know even after the fact that they will never be competent or hireable
It's a sweet scam. I had a website years ago that aggregated all the scam online class things and got lots of referral shekels before they stopped the referral programs for $ and started giving out worthless access to their classes. I had enough freebies to watch anything on there and quickly realized it was worse than I thought. Honestly it gets worse the higher up you go too. One of their distributed classes was literally just cribbed shit from the first chapter of a strib cheer sheet organized like a lecture with some TEDx-tier normie telling outlandish lies about his plebdev work.

Tldr; if you ever look up some self-teaching guides and see a bunch of links to these scam microversity online charades you know you have found a dud. Skip to the next link until you find an honest person reccomending books, exercises, etc. If they suggest video content and it isn't free, it's more than likely total crap.

You're just bad at math. Having low visuo-spatial IQ is genetic user. I'm sorry.

Udemy is fucking great....as a complementary component to self-study. In other words, it goes great with some kind of a text book. The text book is the meat of your self-study, Udemy just provides additional lectures.

i asked lecturer in my uni (8 years experience as ruby developer, no bad i think) and she said that books are outdated, and for learning programming language tutorials are best

No faggot that's a meme invented to make dumb people feel justified in their lack of ability. "I just don't learn through books!" Yeah fucking right. You're just dumb and don't belong in college.

I highly recommend this as your first book. A lot of the math might go over your head on the first read through, but that is okay, the abstract concepts and general theory are what is important, the math not so much, combine that with nostarch.com/pythoncrashcourse and you will be off to a great start

Attached: Structure-and-Interpretation-of-Computer-Programs.jpg (265x400, 22K)

Btw is this tutorial good for C++?
classroom.udacity.com/courses/ud210
Its called "C++ for programmers" and there is Stroustrup explaining concepts in short videos

Do you have downs syndrome?

Everything is always on sale for $10 on udemy. If you fall for the whole "original price" 90% off meme you are stupid.

This post is fucking autistic. There are plenty of very good udemy courses whether you pay for them or not. The content is good, just because a large majority are made by retards does not make them all made by retards.

>books are outdated
For what? The underlying maths and CS concepts haven't changed much in decades and only at the extreme where you won't be as a beginner.

If by outdated you mean syntax and the like for specific languages, then I have no idea why you'd want a class or a book for that. Documentation alone exists for this purpose. If you can't understand docs then you won't be a good programmer.

Epic /B/ro you owned that summerfag XD i love running gentoo on my thinkpad wincest all day!!! XD

I've still got heaps of fee credit to burn so tell me which ones are not shit and I'll go look. I honestly went through a lot of them back then and they were uniformly garbage. Hard to say that a shit pile is good simply because it has a couple gems buried in it.

Books are outdated because most modern things these days are updating constantly, and you can't just edit a book after it's out.

The docs will almost always be better than a book unless the subject is more about theory and pseudo code.

yes she/i meant syntax. Why read book on C++, like Primer for example, if language is constantly changing, and its probably outdated right now?

MIke Meyers has some decent courses on there

You read the book to understand the concepts like pointers, classes, OOP, exceptions, templates

but once you understance these essential concepts, you will still need to check out a reference like en.cppreference.com/w/ to understand how modern C++ development is done as a syntax

>language is constantly changing
Not that a newbie would notice as you wont be using any new features when you learn the basic and intemediate material.

Don't read books
Don't follow shitty videos
Don't visit memeacademy websites
Don't listen to anyone with an accent
Just go make something, it doesn't matter what

>visuo-spatial
I've seen this posted three times today and never before

It is a small world user. This is the fourth time today I post the word "visuo-spatial".

Good advice too. Aside from books, which are a convinent reference, I prefer to learn through documentation and production.

>pythoncrashcourse

Attached: 1503453982068.jpg (1149x855, 88K)

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days. Liberty.
If you fail with this... find another line of work.

See also: IQ, g-score, general intelligence

Bitch fuck you I got a perfect score on my iq test: 100

all these bootcamps/code academies are a fad to cash in on the growth of the IT industry for normie brainlets, you're not actually gonna learn anything

at best you can use it to pad your resume and get your foot in the door, then use your minority status or social skills to weasel your way into a career

Udemy will not help. Get a properly structured textbook. I REALLY liked 'Introduction to Java Programming' by Y. Daniel Liang

I used it for my intro to java course and it literally saved me. Had a professor who had such a thick fucking accent (super eastern european) that I learned nothing from his examples.

The book has great examples, is very well laid out, and has lots of challenging example problems.

The book itself is pretty expensive, so look for a pirated pdf

Attached: daniel.jpg (400x500, 61K)

You've attended a math or CS class and leant from the lecture (rather than the book afterwards)? Jesus, you're a prodigy, that'd save me a lot of time. I've never met anyone with such superpowers.

I used this for my intro Java class too except my professor was a pajeet. Also libgen for textbooks.

>am I a brainlet
Maybe, those sites are supposed to just give you a foundation. You need to practice on your own.
You might drop the site and go for a book or a tutorial. Everyone learns differently

That's a retarded theory. You're a worthless professor if you can't make lecture better than a book . I never opened a Calc book but got an a in Calcs because of professor Lennard on YouTube. The open-source books along with spivak and Stewart are over hyped garbage

>Don't read books
>Don't follow shitty videos
>Don't visit memeacademy websites
>Don't listen to anyone with an accent
>Just go make something, it doesn't matter what

That is how dev ops became the joke that it is today.

Don't listen to this fag, OP. Go read good theory about development, CS principles, problem-solving, math (because this shit IS important to high level algorithms), and learn about how good programmers built solutions.

The lack of study is what makes you a fricking code monkey.

You can learn C++, I recommend the book I used to learn it, C++ Primer Plus, the 6th edition is out now. But I recommend learning C first, I got far into learning objects and classes in C++ and didn't understand when to use object orientated programming and when to use procedural programming, I learned it doesn't really matter, but C++ is more OOP based and I didn't really get to learn procedural programming that well learning C++. Fortunately, they both use very similar syntax, it's almost the same, hence the saying C/C++. Even the newer standards of C use classes now. I am right now as we speak going back and learning C.

reddit.com/r/lolphp/top/

>I didn't open the book and passed calc
Books BTFO!

Don't listen to this tryhard OP. The world needs more code monkeys, there are plenty of senior software engineers.

>ruby
>she
>tutorials

Attached: baitu.gif (500x249, 1.9M)

You can buy good used programming books on amazon and ebay.

Got my job by using goodcp.com

>economy is ass
Jeez

>clicked it before I realized what the joke was

thanks now the fucking fbi are emailing me

Attached: 130.jpg (401x349, 24K)

Udemy can be uneven at times. Despite what /v/ says: it pays to check the reviews. Guided video lessons like Udemy are good for getting yourself started in a new topic until you're proficient enough to help yourself, but not for any advanced learning. If you don't like video lessons, you might be better off with a real "learning to program with c++" book that walks you through the absolute basics.

Attached: 1418001883434.jpg (604x397, 36K)

Udemy is shit. Not only do they do jack shit at teaching, they steal content from unpopular websites and youtube channels, re-edit them, and the package them as their own shit. Shady company.

Go buy and read "Jumping into C++", I used it and its pretty good.