openhub.net/p/systemd
openhub.net/p/chrome
openhub.net/p/firefox
openhub.net/p/emacs
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
onionsnews.org/article.pl?sid=14/12/21/1343258
openbsd.org/lyrics.html#43
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We must accept no less than the public immolation of Lennart Poettering on the front page of linuxquestions.org
Freedom is not free

I ask this every time systemd gets brought up. You people make it sound as if systemd is unauditable, when it only contains 411,674 lines of code. Meanwhile, web browsers that are basicaly become their own OSes contain many times that with Chromium containing 18,824,671 lines of code and Firefox containing 36,890,152 lines of code. Hell, Emacs contains 1,656,961 lines of code. What software do you use on your computer if you consider software containing ~412k lines of code to be unauditable?

sources for those numbers:
openhub.net/p/systemd
openhub.net/p/chrome
openhub.net/p/firefox
openhub.net/p/emacs

None of those programs are processID #1, nor are they mandatory in a system.

what browser are you using? when was the last time you audited its source?

I'm not a security autist, but people should be allowed to be secure if they want to. It's not the point. SystemD is shit from a design philosophy, and I don't want GNU/Linux to end up like web browsers, since very web browser is shit.

Remember when the UNIX philosophy was a thing?

Attached: programmers.gif (500x496, 79K)

This

We're talking about Linux,though.

>None of those programs are processID #1
So you have no issue with the idea of "unauditable" software that contains 46 to 90 times more lines of code than systemd and designed for retrieving and executing code from various sources on the internet. You also haven't answered my question of what size do you consider to be the cutoff as to whether you consider something to be auditable, nor has anyone else any other time I've asked this question.

>nor are they mandatory in a system.
Neither is systemd.

>I'm not a security autist, but people should be allowed to be secure if they want to.
So you're just repeating things you heard on here rather than thinking for yourself.

>SystemD is shit from a design philosophy
So, you would prefer a system taped together with a bunch of half assed shell scripts?

Do you think the UNIX philosophy is outdated or some hipster shit?

How many of those distros use glibc? Does that scare you? Should it? is it a conspiracy?

I have been using Linux as my main os for a while and i just can't understand what SystemD is supposed to do. I don't feel anything different

No, not necessarily,but it can be viewed as a handicap to progress. The whole "one thing doing one thing" deal is a little bit idealist.Installing a million pieces of software to accomplish the same task as one "bloated" program, is pretty ignorant, too.

Honestly I believe that if so many people hate systemd they can just make a group and audit it that way. Too bad 99% percent of the systemd hate is bandwagoning and the rest is pretty much people larping as Unix greybeards.

>handicap to progress
what the fuck are you talking about?
>"one thing doing one thing" deal is a little bit idealist
no it isn't, it's good design. you're just too retarded to understand the benefits of modularity and composability
>Installing a million pieces of software to accomplish the same task as one "bloated" program, is pretty ignorant, too.
installing one monolithic, bloated piece of shit just to use 10% of it's features is what i would call ignorant

>10%
But that's just some arbitrary number you pulled out of your ass, user. This isn't a dictatorship, people can choose lightweight software if they choose, or bloated shit if they want to, or need to. The Unix philosophy is like a code of conduct,nobody needs that shit.

The purpose is modularity and interchangeability, I don't see how that's so "ignorant." Unless you want your entire OS to be a huge hack where your fucking web browser depends on your init system.
Apparently SystemD is consuming udev as well, so fuck you if you don't want this shit on your computer. It's bad.

I just like using PCLinuxOS myself.

Attached: DS9i2LLXUAAMcj1.jpg (697x800, 126K)

Sandboxing is where everything is headed.You're panicing over nothing.

sandboxing doesn't work when you have to put your entire OS in the same sandbox

Lennart, eat your macaca soup.

So you think it's a good idea to fuck Linux into the operating system equivalent of Electron. Good. This is what the hip new programmers want.

Attached: t-pose.png (480x580, 378K)

Well, all I can say is if you anti-systemd guys are right,you should have no problem convincing the world things should be changed.Just let us know when you've got a little more than conspiracies and paranoia to give us.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

>implying the masses aren't retarded

>equivalent of Electron
Putting words in someones mouth doesn't win the argument.If you hate where Linux is going,I'm sure the luddites over in the BSD camps will accept you with open arms.

Masses are made of individuals.

redpill me satan
what are the alternatives?

Literally nothing where we're going.

>Too bad 99% percent of the systemd hate is bandwagoning and the rest is pretty much people larping as Unix greybeards.
I kind of figured that out by now, but I still find myself hoping to get some kind of actual response out of these tards. I enjoy talking about sometime ridiculous security scenarios, and how much utility you could still get out of a computer limited enough to be secure in those situations. Unfortunately as time has gone on more and more posters here just seem to be repeating shit as a meme and what they consider secure against a specific issue has become increasingly vague, so I can really only entertain these ideas when big vulnerabilities come out such as Spectre/Meltdown.

Quotes:
onionsnews.org/article.pl?sid=14/12/21/1343258
I'm not even going to honor this with a serious response.

Attached: DS9i2LLXUAAMcj1.jpg (697x800, 126K)

very nice broken link

What even is your argument? You're saying it's A-OK to tie everything in your operating system into a rat's nest of dependencies because buzzword. Is running an extra abstraction layer for every_single_program going to make it any less insecure to have a monolithic system control every aspect of the operating system? No. It has nothing to do with the stated problem that SystemD is becoming a dependency on the level of the fucking kernel itself. It's doing everything and everything depends on it and fuck you if you don't want this one, single, failure point in your operating system - in the system that was designed from the ground up to be modular. But no, this is NEW linux now, we don't need that darn modularity or choice in software, that's outdated and old. And if you don't want this NEW thing then you're a conspiracy theorist reee get out.

But yeah, I'm rambling and putting words into your mouth. Please, convince me that this dependency hell is a good idea.

>onion article that doesn't work
nice one

Attached: e7595b6053224d74656a37449b6d2f32.png (1400x1400, 2.64M)

>You people make it sound as if systemd is unauditable
It's impossible to verify and runs under pid1 you nigger.

>using the nigger word

>Fear is the mind killer.
Damnit you're making me think of pic related.

Attached: 37808118921_f5f106ee7e_h.jpg (1600x900, 255K)

Portability was a mistake, software should be written for each hardware.
But interface must be the same.

Yes. Shell scripts are already the lingua franca used for automating a ton of stuff, so why not? It's also easier to debug individual shell scripts than systemd internals if something goes wrong. Just because bash is a wonky language doesn't mean the design of the system as a whole is inherently inferior.

>openBSD
>not GAHNOO
So that's a good thing, i got no systemD AND a free as in freedom license, not to mention the most secure base system in existence
>this triggers the eternal commie

>So that's a good thing, i got no systemD AND a free as in freedom license, not to mention the most secure base system in existence
I'm literally Pinochet on the political spectrum, and I can tell you that's fucking bullshit. GPL is a perfectly fine license.

Pinochet was a mexican so you literally have to go back

Attached: DNR2U13VQAE396f.jpg (346x298, 22K)

Im literally Rothbard on the political spectrum, and I can tell you that the first thing about freedom is you cant tell others what to do
For reference:
openbsd.org/lyrics.html#43

>Im literally Rothbard on the political spectrum, and I can tell you that the first thing about freedom is you cant tell others what to do
I agree, but the GPL is a voluntary agreement.

Good point, but you can get sued for writing a program that resembles a GPL protected program, even unintentionally
You should remember from Austrian economics 202 that such abuse of IP is completely totalitarian in nature

don't forget that that only applies for americucks
Chinks copy (and botnetize) the shit out of all the GPL """protected""" code they can get and just redistribute it
The US is fucked by all those licenses and (as Theo once said too im sure you know) everyone tries to reinvent the wheel instead of just using some well-built secure code because they are afraid that the licenses will ruin them, or even worse, change later on and they'll be left out there to dry
The BSD license is honestly the best thing to come out of Berkeley in its however many years

>such abuse of IP is completely totalitarian in nature
Intellectual Property does not exist, as it is a term of pure chicanery invented by fat 60 year old Jewish lawyers who worked in New York but lived in New Jersey and took the train to work every morning way back in the 1960s. Their intention was to take the 3 radically different legal fields, copyright, trademark, and patent, and combine them into one umbrella term for use as propaganda. Also, it should be mentioned that the BSD license also tells you what to do. It requires you to give credit to the original author.

It does, but it is a license who's only requirement is that you be the extremely bare-bones needed considerate of a person that probably worked his ass off, and has (and will never have) any other requirements whatsoever
Its barely even a license, and that's where others should head towards imo
Is it absolutely free? No. If it were it wouldnt be a license

>So you're just repeating things you heard on here rather than thinking for yourself.
sounds like he thinks a little more than you if he questions instead of blindly accepts

I love it when Jow Forums gets rightfully shut down.

Attached: 1518988359696.gif (250x188, 2.4M)

Attached: fedec.png (695x663, 408K)

>he questions instead of blindly accepts
Do you personally audit a program's source code before installing them? I'm not a coder so this is impossible for me to do and I don't think calling it blind acceptance is fair, when I install Firefox I trust that it's not designed to fuck up my system, this is called assume good faith and it's how humanity works.

System level code is far, far, FAR more difficult to audit that anything that's sandboxed within itself like chrome or emacs.

Here's my 2 cents, if you want to bother reading through it
SystemD is not your average web browser, and has absolute privileges over your system
>Can you audit it?
Yes.
>Can you follow each and every diff?
Yes
>Is it an NSA botnet?
Obviously no
>Is it spying on you night and day?
No
>Is it Satan?
No
>Is it a shit piece of code that is overbloated and strays very very VERY fucking far away from the Unix philosophy, on the claims that it makes your life easier?
Yes
>Is that a bad thing that popular distros shouldnt implement?
I unironically agree with the free market autists above, let the distros that want to implement it do so, its easier on the devs and whatnot, if it turns to shit or their userbase forks their distro and takes off its their fault for implementing it.
>what will really happen?
Most mainstream distros will implement it, normies wont care, and non-SystemD/Linux distros will become the new "I use OpenRC/Linux on Jow Forums"
We might even get a pasta
I use openBSD as that user does , so honestly have fun with your cuckOS
:wq blogpost

>Neither is systemd.
More and more software is becoming completely dependent on it, so yes, it is mandatory. Fuck off, you shills repeat this line every fucking time like some mouth breathing dipshit that tries to tell some poor fuck "CARS AREN'T NECESSARY TO HAVE A GOOD JOB XDDD" when the reality is almost everywhere in the united states requires a minimum 45 minute commute, upwards of 2 hours if you're lucky enough to have public transit

>systemd is open source
>claims open source software is backdoored
>posts pic unrelated as proof of backdoor
>can't point me to a code repo, file, and line number where spooky boogyman exists

the shitpost that keeps on giving

I don't understand your line of reasoning, systemd is popular so that means it's bad? Do you also hate oxygen because everyone depends on it?

How about you respond to his fucking point instead of making a retarded strawman?

>systemd is popular
>everything nowadays depends on it
>therefore it's bad
That's his point right?
>oxygen is everywhere
>every living things depends on it
>therefore it's bad
How is this a strawman?

>worried about open source systemd
>can't point to evil backdoor in systemd
>not worried about binary intel cpu firmware
>not worried about binary wifi firmware
>not worried about binary gpu drivers

okey dokey, sport

Not him, but his point (if it even exists) has been answered above already
Its open sores, it can be audited, if there are people that can read the fucking firefox sourcecode and tell you what parts of it are shit, with all the hate Lennart gets, if it were a botnet we'd know on day 1

Nobody's claiming it's a botnet. It's a security hole.

I plan to switch to gentoo once ubuntu 16.04 is unsupported.
Unity is just too comfy.

You cannot equate biological dependency to a software dependency you retarded nigger.

>It's a security hole.
So point us to this hole you keep mentioning, has a CVE been assigned to it?

did someone exploit your secure hole once?
did he look like Lennart?

>linux is popular
>everything depends on it
>therefore it's bad
How about now?

You can install Unity on 18.04.

Calling something bad just because it's popular is retarded you moron, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Granted, it could be.
It is DEFINITELY exploitable, actually.
Even openBSD had 2 holes in its base.
What about it?
Its a tradeoff (arguably), if you dont like it dont use it. I sure dont
Every single piece of software is insecure, get over it. Most you can do is patch it as good as you can and hope the end user isnt a retard.
systemD's fault is that it has too much authority over your system. that's bad. If you dont like it, again, dont use it

People shit on SystemD, not because it's popular but because it's the most retarded fucking shit on planet earth.

all qtp2ts use macs anyways ur all gay lol

Attached: 45874585554.jpg (850x1133, 175K)

>WHY IS EVERYTHING DEPENDENT ON SYSTEMD REEEE
That's literally your words, user.
>because it's the most retarded fucking shit on planet earth.
You should look into a mirror every once in a while, you'll know that that's not true then.

>I use mac
Good for you, im piss poor and all my tech monies go to external HDDs
My laptop is 2005 tier, and my desktop I made on 2008, I cant bother to use self-destructing products

>That's literally your words, user.
That wasn't me, it was another user. Fucking everything is dependent on System D now though. That's part of (((their))) plan.

Look, I get it.
You dont like Unix, and that's ok. But when you attempt to change a Unix system to act non-Unixy because you dont like Unix, now THAT is retarded

>don't use it
Therein lies the problem, see OP

Attached: fadbcd314ec29713370871a4beb67e790cba8808366e9c4e2661ababa521a590.jpg (480x508, 20K)

no u

I did, what about it? Is it that too many distros use it?
Like 99% of the people on planet earth have social media too, and they communicate on them. Do you?

Yes, it's well know that systemd has been adopted almost everywhere but how exactly does this make it bad? Again, do you also hate water/oxygen/the sun because everything depends on it?
>when you attempt to change a Unix system
systemd only runs on Linux and last I checked Linux is still one gigantic monolithic kernel.

A few years ago, nothing used it. Now, almost everything uses it, and RedHat's dirty money is being traded around the free software world to make sure that before long it will literally be impossible to use GNU/Linux without using SystemD. That's their endgame. They want control. Complete control.

The Jews didn't hijack life on Earth to make them require those things

Except initscripts is Electron in this analogy because systemd is faster than initscripts.

My point is that the Son was supposed to be the Child, the Father was supposed to be the Parent, and the Holy Spirit doing its own thing too, all of their powers combined being a Linux system
Instead you now have the Parent having bounded both the Child and the Holy Spirit eternally

>RedHat's dirty money
The things you faggots come up with sure is hilarious, keep them coming you shit for brains.

>systemd is faster than initscripts.
Not anymore. SystemD boot has slowed significantly over the years, as opposed to inits like runit which are fucking god tier.

>The things you faggots come up with sure is hilarious, keep them coming you shit for brains.
Not an argument.

I never said it was bad because it was popular. I just don't want to use it because I don't like it. Plenty of reasons not to use it have been elaborated upon here, but that isn't the ultimate issue. The choice to not use this particular piece of software is being removed. That is a problem.

Attached: ccd63465e7ff60a10ac99e687cabe2c24b1e5809c1c68d2919a3eafee8c73034.png (377x354, 229K)

>da joos
>red hat's dirty money
holy shit is anyone else reading these? are you retards fucking serious?

Attached: 1508637473280.jpg (449x1197, 260K)

I like systemd because fuck writing scripts for every one of my processes.
If it's outed to be a botnet I'll obviously switch to openrc or something but otherwise I don't really care

Then come to the enlightened openBSD (or dragonfly or net, or even unironically gentoo, whichever you prefer) side
They arent changing any time soon

Then come to the enlightened openBSD (or dragonfly or net, or even unironically gentoo, whichever you prefer) side
They arent changing any time soon

FLOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEENNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This. If SystemD wasn't becoming mandotiry, I wouldn't care less because I don't care about other people's software preferences, but apparently, SystemDniggers care about my software preferences.
I've been using GNU/Linux for 10 years, and it was fucking shit back in 2008. I'm not going back 10+ years in OS development to use a BSD when GNU/Linux has come so fucking far.

>Not an argument
Are you serious? You say Red Hat's the one behind this with their "dirty money", where's your proof?

Read it again

Attached: 5b9c9518d0104096fafe8586835a1b213f78c640941e367b9f96c45c0e7e9ea8.jpg (708x600, 328K)