Remove feature

>remove feature
>replace it with something more inconvenient which adds cost (dongles)
>or replace it with something vastly inferior in quality (wireless headphones)
>call it "courage"

I still don't understand why phone companies are removing the 3.5mm jack. You can't call something obsolete if there's nothing better than it to replace it.

Attached: 30061999135_853d5d6920_o.jpg (2816x2112, 679K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best
ifixit.org/blog/8448/apple-audio-adapter-teardown/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cant afford bt headphones?

>dongles
Its a fucking adapter, why does everyone call it a "dongle"?

noun: dongle; plural noun: dongles

a small device able to be connected to and used with a computer, especially to allow access to wireless broadband or use of protected software.

general term for small peripherals that serve a specific function

>bluetooth
sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best
Bluetooth isn't even close to transparent.

consider the following:
bluetooth can be used to transfer arbitrary files and such transmission obviously has to be lossless
it follows that you can transfer lossless flacs over bluetooth, there's just no headphones which would work this way

Streaming audio and transferring files over bluetooth are completely different and are handled completely different as well

>which adds cost
Because they can get people to spend $300 on a pair of headphones, it costs $20 to produce, and probably a quarter million in R&D. The end result is profit for the companies selling them. More profit for the replicas because they copied the originals; no R&D costs.

lossless audio has a high bitrate and it needs to be consistent. Even with bluetooth's 25mbps theoretical transfer speed, it's not going to be adequate for all the numerous unforseen variables that could affect this transfer rate. Transferring files is very lenient and allows slow downs or instantaneous drop-off and reconnection. If you're streaming, you need it to be consistent all the way through.

Yes, but files that take a long ass time to transfer. Bluetooth speeds need to go up before quality can go up. Also headphones don't decode the audio files.

Consider the following:
A bucket can be filled multiple times to carry an arbitrary amount of water so obviously it doesn't leak. It follows that you can swim in a bucket.

You mouth breathing oaf.

>which adds cost

You get one for free with the phone.

To trigger your stupid ass

>dongle wears out or gets lost
>have to buy it again

People should be more careful if they can't afford to pay for a replacement. Not to mention that they chose a phone with no headphone jack so it's really their fault regardless.

It is dongle.
Adapter is euro plug to US, VGA to SVIDEO and so on.

>thing get broke or lose thing
>have to buy thing again
WOW

Attached: 1524078866993.png (500x300, 73K)

not a problem if the dongle isn't necessary

I understand perfectly.
Money.

Oy vey.

>whine about slight loss in quality over 3.5mm cable due to analog transmission
>instead, heavily compress digital audio, transfer over radio waves known for being subject to interference, then decoded and amplified by more expensive headphones and played through smaller drivers for the price
Bravo Apple

So that you buy their dongle accessories

>device
>wireless
You are confused. The adapter does not have any electronics in it. Dongles contain a small pcb that usually translates data. This is just pure wiring.

Its literally not necessary. Bluetooth in my car, bluetooth headphones.

It’s so It can be waterproof.

headphone jacks require a digital to analogue converter that's expensive.

Bluetooth speakers don't have that problem.

that's why.

same reason GFX chards droped support for VGA

>waterproof
>warranty void if there are moisture inside

using an external usb dac is better if you're going wired. With this you gain use of more voltage to drive nice headphones leading to a much better listening experience. If you insist on using earbuds you may as well get them wireless, as the point of earbuds is discrete and easy to carry. Earbuds with cables aren't discrete nor easy to carry; there's a whole slew of problems with them from getting tangled and the wires getting fucked up not to mention how short the cables are most of the time and can snag on things. Running with wired audio fucking sucks too.

>I still don't understand why phone companies are removing the 3.5mm jack
Because the only "innovation" happening in phones at the moment is making thinner cases or adding larger batteries. A headphone jack really does take up a lot of space as far as mobile tech goes. Removing it makes the product look better on paper, and they can get away with it because most people will just move to bluetooth for convenience sake.

>listens to music cancelling headphones
what's wrong with you

Badda bing badda boom

Then why are phones without this adapter still hundreds of dollars more expensive than phones with this adapter?

>digital to analogue converter
>expensive
>2018

Audio over Bluetooth is lossy

Because the word dongle is used to describe the excess that hangs and droops off of an electronic device.

Portmanteau of dong and dangle... cause it looks like a penis hanging from your phone/laptop/whatever.

Just run a portable DAC/AMP and be done with it.
That, or buy a phone with a 3.5mm jack and call it a day.

Other phones are waterproof and have a headphone jack

But, oddly, nobody buys them.

Nope!
ifixit.org/blog/8448/apple-audio-adapter-teardown/

They want us to use bluetooth earphones and to get brain tumors from bluetooth EM waves, it's a conspiracy

Attached: foil.jpg (320x240, 18K)

Can’t afford sennheiser HD800s? Fucking peasant.

>wears out
What the fuck? How the fuck can it wear out? Did your charger wire wear out too? You're more likely to get a new phone before you fuck up a wire.

Galaxy S5, retard. It even has a removable battery.

>headphone jack really does take up a lot of space
It doesn't, retard.

do bluetooth headphones do the same shit as bluetooth speakers where they constantly cut in and out because they try to conserve power? That shit is annoying as fuck

No, but they constantly buzz

great even better

lol tf bitch have you ever owned a fuckin iphone bitch yes my charger has worn out literally 100 times ya fuckin

BT headphones aren't overall qualitatively worse, but they are more profitable.

Your fault for buying this crap though. You should just go with the Android phones that don't do this.

Pretty much every good brand with Android phones has stopped including a 3,5 mm jack.

Wat, BT speakers don't generally.do that.
Nor that. But of course there is no limit to how crappy the low end branded shit can be, they want to upmarket you to "premium" gear after all.
Buy savy to avoid this.

You can simply see it as them no longer being good brands & you then proceed to buy [on import] the next Xiaomi Redmi or something.

Overall you still got many dozens of phones on the market with headphone jacks, pick one of these.

The headphones still need a DA converter, all audio is analog by the time it reaches the drivers. Your comparison to VGA doesn't make any sense, since all modern monitors are digital, the same can't be said for speakers and headphones.

Samsung
LG
OnePlus
Honor

I refuse to buy products from other brands anymore

>Pretty much every good brand with Android phones has stopped including a 3,5 mm jack.
My Galaxy S9+ has 3,5 mm headphone jack, if they will stop including it in new models then i won't buy their phones anymore

>nothing better
1/4" is better. 3.5mm is too fragile

thankfully the removal of useful ports is seen as a premium feature so cheap shit will be fine.

>It doesn't, retard.
It does, retard.
It's literally the largest component in a phone that isn't absolutely necessary.

who fucking cares about quality of audio when you're driving or walking

Old folks who are hard of hearing and need every placebo they can get so they don't need to face the cold reality age caught up to them and their ears can't hear the differences they could when they were young

Tell that to miniature phones having 3.5mm. Tell that to Vivo Apex having the jack despite being almost 100% screen. There's nothing you can put in it's place that would need that space. You don't get any more waterproofed by removing the jack. You also don't get any thinner unless you're trying to make a gimmicky thin device or a foldable phone. Making the device thinner will just mean it will become easier to bend and break.
Until headphones are made to connect directly over USB-C at the same price range removing the 3.5mm jack is retarded.

>isn't absolutely necessary
Why not remove all ports and use wireless charging exclusively. USB ports are obsolete. Fuck any device that still has them.

Bluetooth isn't transparent, I know you're prpbably an Opus shill but this isn't about FLAC vs. whatever shitty FotM meme codec that claims to be "virtually lossless" at 64kbps. Bluetooth legitimately sounds like shit.

BT headphones don't work with my Clip+.

Then why are you here?

>using 3.5mm
>instead of based bt
>not owning highend monitors that require an amp and digital pass through which would make 3.5mm moot anyway
>20 fucking 18

Attached: 1525900621137.gif (320x240, 1.47M)

iToddlers use the names that apple chose. Like "AirPort", hastag, etc.

Bluetooth is only ever for convenience factor. It's garbage otherwise.

>buy cheap BT headset for my first smartphone
>BT doesn't connect when my phone is in my pocket and has to go trough my body
Great

Just don't buy shit user. Try to be smart for once. At least try. Don't disappoint me, it is bad enough you already disappointed your father when you told him you drink nothing but basedmilk and enjoy getting fucked in the ass by guys.

>slight quality loss
The only quality loss that I can think of is the interface between the plug and the port. That digital audio is inevitably going to become voltages at some point in order to vibrate a large magnet.